DAFC.net
Home 06 July 2022 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 The unspoken cost
Topic Originator: OzPar  
Date:   Mon 1 Nov 11:35

Fortunately, the decision to get rid of Peter Grant now allows the new manager three-quarters of the season to get us out of the relegation spot and hopefully climbing the table.

At the start of the season, none of us would have imagined we would be where we are right now. And I very much doubt that the board would have budgeted for the prize income for 10th place.

The Championship winners will pocket £562,000 and the side rooted to the foot of the second tier (currently us) will bank £175,000. That`s close to 400k difference between top and bottom.

With falling gate money and doubtless drops in other income sources, this season is shaping up to be a big loss-maker.

So, in an environment where every pound is a prisoner, the board will surely be hoping that the new manager can deliver us a few places up the Championship table. Each couple of places in worth about 100k.

[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: The unspoken cost
Topic Originator: Raymie the Legend  
Date:   Mon 1 Nov 11:41

Very good point, Oz.

I would imagine that the BOD will have budgeted on getting into the play-offs and getting through to the 3rd or 4th round of the Scottish Cup?

They will have made money from the Rangers game, which would not have been in their plans, however, so that will offset some of the possible shortfall?

It's bloody tough being a legend
Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Mon 1 Nov 11:43

When it comes to prize money I`d imagine most clubs would budget very conservatively. Any cup run is treated as a bonus for example. Football income in general is very unpredictable as so much is linked to on-field success.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Never10yairds  
Date:   Mon 1 Nov 11:51

I’m hoping a good appointment will boost crowds initially, a few wins and that could snowball.

This season is all about surviving and setting ourselves up for next year as best we can and your quite correct that finances will play a big part in that.

A run in the Scottish cup could do us the world of good also. Both financially and to bring a feel good factor to the club.

COYP

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Grant  
Date:   Mon 1 Nov 12:07

Quote:

Raymie the Legend, Mon 1 Nov 11:41

Very good point, Oz.

I would imagine that the BOD will have budgeted on getting into the play-offs and getting through to the 3rd or 4th round of the Scottish Cup?

They will have made money from the Rangers game, which would not have been in their plans, however, so that will offset some of the possible shortfall?

Can't imagine they were planning on paying off a manager though.

Any club that could turn a profit, or even a small loss in the circumstances we're in currently would be doing very well.

I appreciate I'm being incredibly optimistic, but we're only 11 points behind Partick, and that's who I see finishing fourth, that's not insurmountable over three quarters of a season...

Post Edited (Mon 01 Nov 12:08)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 1 Nov 12:27

Quote:

Grant, Mon 01 Nov 12:07

Quote:

Raymie the Legend, Mon 1 Nov 11:41

Very good point, Oz.

Can't imagine they were planning on paying off a manager though.

Any club that could turn a profit, or even a small loss in the circumstances we're in currently would be doing very well.

I appreciate I'm being incredibly optimistic, but we're only 11 points behind Partick, and that's who I see finishing fourth, that's not insurmountable over three quarters of a season...

Post Edited (Mon 01 Nov 12:08)

That’s also true, Grant.

The fact that this a a competitive league, means it is quite conceivable that a new manager can bridge the gap, assuming he is allowed to bring in three or four new players ?

Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Mon 1 Nov 12:33

Football is always a gamble. It's easy to say "prepare for the worst, hope for the best", but if you don't aim for the best by signing players on good wages then you'll probably end up being the worst!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parsmad68  
Date:   Mon 1 Nov 12:36

We also have to add to the equation players bonuses. Given we have won no games our win bonus will be zero. This is actually a large sum of money over a season.
My friend who is senior in the game currently used to bemoan the loss of win bonuses by being promoted to the premier league and I always wondered does the salary increase in the top league make up for the inevitable win bonus loss when you are top of the 2nd tier against relegation scrapping in the Premier league. He never told me that part🧐
[IP address logged]
-
Date:   Mon 1 Nov 12:39

Quote:

parsmad68, Mon 1 Nov 12:36

We also have to add to the equation players bonuses. Given we have won no games our win bonus will be zero. This is actually a large sum of money over a season.
My friend who is senior in the game currently used to bemoan the loss of win bonuses by being promoted to the premier league and I always wondered does the salary increase in the top league make up for the inevitable win bonus loss when you are top of the 2nd tier against relegation scrapping in the Premier league. He never told me that part🧐

We don't pay win bonuses.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parsmad68  
Date:   Mon 1 Nov 12:41

Quote:

jake89, Mon 01 Nov 12:39

Quote:

parsmad68, Mon 1 Nov 12:36

We don't pay win bonuses.

That must be a change in policy because we certainly did two years ago.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Polt  
Date:   Mon 1 Nov 13:42

If not then maybe that`s something we need to change.

Hopefully we can close the gap depends on how much support the new manager gets from the board and the fans as to what he can bring in if anything. Personally I don`t really care who the club brings in as long as they help us climb this table.
Out of relegation zone acceptable this season to be honest with the playing set up due to specific recruitment made in summer could hamper us. Anything above that would be a extremely positive appointment for us to build on for next season.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Pars232  
Date:   Mon 1 Nov 14:44

Add covid to the mix
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Mon 1 Nov 17:02

Any chance somebody will sign Nisbet from Hibs and we`ll pick up a nice little earner ?

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Rastapari  
Date:   Mon 1 Nov 17:05

Quote:

veteraneastender, Mon 1 Nov 17:02

Any chance somebody will sign Nisbet from Hibs and we`ll pick up a nice little earner ?

I think that ship has sailed sadly, unless he really starts banging them in and with Hibs being off the boil....I certainly wouldn't bank on it.
I see him staying there and moving in or around the same level.

Carole Baskin fed Rasta to a tiger.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: SergioDuarte  
Date:   Mon 1 Nov 17:30

The chance to make money on Nisbet has gone . Sold for an absolute pittance . Another howler from the board.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: The Toun Clock  
Date:   Mon 1 Nov 17:39

I don’t necessarily believe the chance to make coin on Nisbet has gone. He’s not doing well now but neither are Hibs. I’m sure he’ll kick on again when they do. Still has 2.5 years at Hibs on his current deal.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Bamba-Daft  
Date:   Mon 1 Nov 17:48

Hibs will be kicking themselves for not taking the reported £3m in the summer. They’ll be lucky to get half that now.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 1 Nov 17:59

Quote:

SergioDuarte, Mon 1 Nov 17:30

The chance to make money on Nisbet has gone . Sold for an absolute pittance . Another howler from the board.

Give it a rest min.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 1 Nov 18:26

"The chance to make money on Nisbet has gone . Sold for an absolute pittance . Another howler from the board."

Players are only worth what somebody is willing to pay for them - if the club had put an unrealistic valuation on him he`d have gone when his contracted ended - for zilch.

Hibs went down the over priced for sale route, and he`s still at Easter Road.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 1 Nov 18:44

Quote:

The board did what was right and got a decent deal, the only howler was Hibs not selling for the silly money on offer.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 1 Nov 18:51

Quote:

Rastapari, Mon 1 Nov 18:44

Quote:

The board did what was right and got a decent deal, the only howler was Hibs not selling for the silly money on offer.

Agreed. If Hibs had bloody sold him when they had the chance it would've been a nice earner for both clubs
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: PARrot  
Date:   Mon 1 Nov 19:01

Quote:

Are you ever going to get anything right. Beginning to think you are just trolling.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 1 Nov 19:33

Quote:

Bamba-Daft, Mon 01 Nov 17:48

Hibs will be kicking themselves for not taking the reported £3m in the summer. They’ll be lucky to get half that now.

Yes, they got greedy

Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 2 Nov 01:46

Quote:

PARrot, Mon 01 Nov 19:01

Quote:

Are you ever going to get anything right. Beginning to think you are just trolling.

I’m dealing in facts here . He was sold on the cheap. The in the knows claim that there’s a massive sell on . Of course how they would be privy to the details of a players contract I have no idea. So you can take your snide comment and park it .
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DA-go Par Adonis  
Date:   Tue 2 Nov 07:28

You're not though.

You're discounting the sell on clause and the fact that he didn't have long on his contract and solely focusing on the price Hibs paid upfront.

It's almost as if you want to zone in on the only element that you can criticise the board for...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I love it when we go sell Kevin Nisbet,
He's gonna pay for everyone this season.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: par-91  
Date:   Tue 2 Nov 08:49

Quote:

SergioDuarte, Tue 02 Nov 01:46

Quote:

PARrot, Mon 01 Nov 19:01

Quote:

I’m dealing in facts here . He was sold on the cheap. The in the knows claim that there’s a massive sell on . Of course how they would be privy to the details of a players contract I have no idea. So you can take your snide comment and park it .

If you don’t trust ‘the in the knows’ regarding the sell on clause, why are you trusting their info regarding the fee we sold him for? Neither has ever been publicly announced. Can you explain how you know it’s a fact that he was sold on the cheap? Particularly interested to see why you’re willing to take 50% of a story as fact (transfer fee) and dismiss the rest of it (sell on clause) as fiction. Every news outlet that reports even remotely accurately on our matters reported a sell on clause had been included in the deal. Ignoring that part and accepting rumours about the fee says a lot about your agenda here.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: PARrot  
Date:   Tue 2 Nov 09:20

Quote:

DA-go Par Adonis, Tue 2 Nov 07:28

You're not though.

You're discounting the sell on clause and the fact that he didn't have long on his contract and solely focusing on the price Hibs paid upfront.

It's almost as if you want to zone in on the only element that you can criticise the board for...

I don't think he is familiar with joined up thinking.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: da_no_1  
Date:   Tue 2 Nov 09:22

He`s definitely fishing. Sad really....

"Some days will stay a 1000 years, some pass like the flash of a spark"
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 2 Nov 09:43

"I’m dealing in facts here . He was sold on the cheap."

So who were the clubs willing to come in with big money offers for Nisbet at the time - and why didn`t they outbid Hibs ?

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: RhinoPars  
Date:   Tue 2 Nov 10:01

So should they just have let his contract run out and get nothing ? As far as I remember unfortunately due to Covid transfer fees took a bit of a knock and hence we were a bit unlucky with timing.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 2 Nov 13:37

We absolutely buckled when it came to Nisbet . Rejected a far higher bid at an earlier date to then sell him on for pennies . I suppose Covid did play a part in that and not exactly our fault that Hibs rejected a good offer in the summer. No point going over old ground. Let’s just hope the board finally do something right and appoint a manager to keep us in the league.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 2 Nov 13:44

Quote:

da_no_1, Tue 02 Nov 09:22

He`s definitely fishing. Sad really....

Clique member with pointless snide remark . Shock . I should really just ignore you . Manchild.
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net