DAFC.net
Home 06 July 2022 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Athletico Madrid
Topic Originator: Paralex  
Date:   Wed 3 Nov 22:06

I remember being at the most infamous european game ever played in Scotland, Celtic v Athletico Madrid. They took dirty tricks to a new level. Seeing them against Liverpool tonight brings back memories of that game. Cheating by any possible means seems to be a permanent feature of that club. And Louis Suarez fits into their ethos perfectly.

Post Edited (Wed 03 Nov 22:09)
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Athletico Madrid
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Wed 3 Nov 22:35

Karma in the final - Atletico were 1-0 in the final minute when Bayern`s defender Schwarzenbeck equalised with a long range effort.

Bayern won the replay 4-0.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 3 Nov 23:08

Maybe my recollection is wrong VEE but somehow I have a picture of them being beaten by Aston Villa in the final, Andy Gray playing a big part.

But if they were beaten in two finals that`s even better.

Post Edited (Wed 03 Nov 23:09)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks  
Date:   Wed 3 Nov 23:25

Villa beat Bayern in the 1981 final and by that time Gray had already left Villa to join Wolves.

We all hate poverty, war, and injustice.
Unlike the rest of you squares.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parfection  
Date:   Thu 4 Nov 09:14

I have a very clear picture in my mind of Jimmy Johnstone on the day after the Celtic vs Athletico Madrid game. He had his shirt off to reveal a torso that was covered in bruises. They kicked him throughout the game and I think most people were happy when Bayern did them in the final. This was the first of Bayern’s 3 in a row - Leeds in ‘75 and St Etienne at Hampden in ‘76.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 4 Nov 10:33

Yes my memory about Aston Villa is clearly wrong.

I`ve just had a look at the "highlights" of the Celtic/Athletico game in 1974. Celtic were kicked off the park. I was in the "jungle" near the front but watching the replays now is even worse than I remember. They were having wild swipes at the Celtic players legs. The ref.eventually gave one yellow card when 5 or 6 of them should have been sent off. When you see the likes of Suarez rolling about feigning injury and see what Jimmy Johnstone put up with in that game I have to admit it gave me some backdated pleasure to see Liverpool give them a comprehensive doing last night.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 4 Nov 11:44

The 1974 EC final, first game - don`t blink or you`ll miss the last gasp equaliser !!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbU1Gw_CSyA

The Atletico keeper was Miguel Reina who also played for Barcelona and Spain, his son Pepe was also an internationalist, and at Barca - also played for Liverpool.

Better here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2t8qVFacJNs

Incidentally, Tommy Callaghan played for Celtic in that notorious match at Parkhead when Jimmy Johnstone was battered to bits.

One of the Atletico players, Ruben Diaz, had played for Racing Club in the even more infamous 1967 "Battle of Montevideo" - the first to be booked in Glasgow, after 7 minutes, for clattering Jinky.

Post Edited (Thu 04 Nov 12:00)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 4 Nov 12:57

Thanks VEE, I enjoyed that. Poetic justice.

[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: Par Lament  
Date:   Thu 4 Nov 14:22

I find it abhorrent that adults who`ve probably watched football for decades still refer to Atletico as "Athletico"

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 4 Nov 14:40

As abhorrent as inflicting grievous bodily harm on fellow players? Hmm nice try, you can put your fishing tackle way now.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: eastendalloapar  
Date:   Thu 4 Nov 14:49

If I'm correct were most of the Spanish team not from South America. At that time most of them were know to be hackers.

matt forsyth
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: par-ticular  
Date:   Thu 4 Nov 15:06

Remember it well and have no time for Atletico or Racing Club either irrespective of who played for them
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 4 Nov 15:08

Athletico were all Spanish nationals, except one player and the manager.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Par Lament  
Date:   Thu 4 Nov 16:23

Way worse than kicking a few erses up and down a park.Even more abhorrent is the half wits that know it`s wrong but still say and write it anyway.They think they`re real football fans but it`s clear to see they haven`t got a clue

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: PARrot  
Date:   Thu 4 Nov 19:08

Quote:

Paralex, Thu 4 Nov 14:40

As abhorrent as inflicting grievous bodily harm on fellow players? Hmm nice try, you can put your fishing tackle way now.

I nearly bit. I was awfy close lol.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: QPR_Par  
Date:   Fri 5 Nov 18:17

Quote:

parfection, Thu 04 Nov 09:14

I have a very clear picture in my mind of Jimmy Johnstone on the day after the Celtic vs Athletico Madrid game. He had his shirt off to reveal a torso that was covered in bruises. They kicked him throughout the game and I think most people were happy when Bayern did them in the final. This was the first of Bayern’s 3 in a row - Leeds in ‘75 and St Etienne at Hampden in ‘76.

I remember the picture you’re talking about Parfection, it was in the Daily Record I think. Jinky was only wearing a pair of shorts, his legs and torso were a mass of bruises. Utterly brutal behaviour.
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net