DAFC.net
Home 06 July 2022 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Shields & Whittaker
Topic Originator: neilholland999  
Date:   Wed 3 Nov 22:11

Clearly there is loads of speculation and opinions on who should and shouldn't be our new manager. However, what happens if the interim management do well (say we pick up 9 points out of 12)? Should we then give Shields & Whittaker a contract (at least until the end of the season)?
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Shields & Whittaker
Topic Originator: Rastapari  
Date:   Wed 3 Nov 22:19

Quote:

neilholland999, Wed 3 Nov 22:11

Clearly there is loads of speculation and opinions on who should and shouldn't be our new manager. However, what happens if the interim management do well (say we pick up 9 points out of 12)? Should we then give Shields & Whittaker a contract (at least until the end of the season)?

No.

Carole Baskin fed Rasta to a tiger.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: mikey_boy  
Date:   Wed 3 Nov 22:20

Reading the update on official site didn’t fill me with confidence. Shields thought that the result at Arbroath was a ‘hiccup’. Got to be understatement of the year there.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Never10yairds  
Date:   Wed 3 Nov 22:23

No

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parsfan97  
Date:   Wed 3 Nov 22:33

No, new manager should be bringing in his own staff and having a clear out of a failed management team

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Never10yairds  
Date:   Wed 3 Nov 22:42

I agree with parsfan97 but financially it might not be doable depending on contracts but in an ideal world a manager should appoint his own coaching staff.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: gordi-b  
Date:   Wed 3 Nov 22:48

Did notice on Saturday there was not a lot of communication between the coaches and our now ex boss

G.B
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Wed 3 Nov 22:52

I think a "hiccup" is the right way to think of it. We effed up and it sounds like the players will use it as a learning opportunity.
[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: neilholland999  
Date:   Wed 3 Nov 22:53

For those who've said no, don't you think Shields & Whittaker would deserve a chance if they are able to get the best out of the players? Seems a bit too simplistic to just say "no, we need to bring in someone else".
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: 1985Par  
Date:   Wed 3 Nov 23:09

We don’t need a master tactician to get us out this mess. We need someone who can motivate players, put round pegs in round holes and target better players during transfer windows. I’m not against the idea. Give them a chance for a few weeks. Rather that than rush into the wrong appointment.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Kessel  
Date:   Thu 4 Nov 00:44

Quote:

neilholland999, Wed 3 Nov 22:11

Nope!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: OzPar  
Date:   Thu 4 Nov 02:51

No.

Shields has been around since Crawford so no excuses. He`s been part of the furniture, part of two failed management regimes.

We need a complete change in philosophy.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: SergioDuarte  
Date:   Thu 4 Nov 03:35

They have the best chance out of anyone because they actually have some games to play.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Rastapari  
Date:   Thu 4 Nov 07:12

Would look and feel like a cheap option and I'd personally winder what all of a sudden Shirlds would bring to the table.....time for change he says....sure...adios pal.
We need a fresh start.

Carole Baskin fed Rasta to a tiger.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Angus_W  
Date:   Thu 4 Nov 07:14

….here is your chance show us what you can do.

Nothing to lose here.

“.........your on mute Jordan” 😀
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Indiapar  
Date:   Thu 4 Nov 07:38

Quote:

neilholland999, Wed 3 Nov 22:53

For those who've said no, don't you think Shields & Whittaker would deserve a chance if they are able to get the best out of the players? Seems a bit too simplistic to just say "no, we need to bring in someone else".

Agree. You have to be open to options. It is hard from the outside to understand the relationships within the management team. I think we need an experienced man manager. I think with the plan to develop players Shields and Whittaker have a long term future at the club.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Indiapar  
Date:   Thu 4 Nov 07:45

What will be interesting this weekend is to see how the team performs now that PG has departed.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: par-91  
Date:   Thu 4 Nov 09:25

If they get good performances/results, then they should be considered. How many people saying absolutely not have been critical of the board for not considering all applicants last time? If they apply (individually or as a team), they should be interviewed and the board should be watching what they do and asking players about their thoughts.

There’s no harm at all in giving them due consideration. Right now, I wouldn’t imagine they are anywhere near the top of the list, but they’re in a fortunate position where they have an opportunity to prove themselves worthy of the gig to the end of the season.

Edit to add: if they do get the job longer term, it should be on the condition that they bring in a more experienced coach, to help them.

Post Edited (Thu 04 Nov 09:27)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Berkey  
Date:   Thu 4 Nov 13:24

Sheilds has been very lucky to still be at the club having been a part of our slide over the last few years for previous regimes. Would be strange indeed if he’s suddenly got something to offer the club that he hasn’t already tried in training etc

New man to make the decision but a clear out is required.

Things will be looking up……..now yogi is gone!

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: rawpars  
Date:   Thu 4 Nov 14:04

Isn`t it the manager that has the final say so and judging by Grants arrogance you probably wouldn`t get a word in edgeways.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Ladswell_Thistle  
Date:   Thu 4 Nov 14:16

The difference in the dugouts on sat was pretty clear to see. Iain Campbell and Rab Douglas constantly giving instructions and well dones to Arbroath players.
In the other dugout Grant was out his seat with negative after negative having a go at anything that moved. Shields wasn't much better.
Not saying ones right or wrong but it was clear to see

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Playup_Pompey  
Date:   Thu 4 Nov 14:25

Looks like Peter Grant about to walk into a job at the richest club in the world. not what you know but who ultimately

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: JamesAndrew74  
Date:   Thu 4 Nov 16:35

Quote:

Playup_Pompey, Thu 04 Nov 14:25

Looks like Peter Grant about to walk into a job at the richest club in the world. not what you know but who ultimately

What’s the PUP?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: londonparsfan  
Date:   Thu 4 Nov 16:40

Or maybe he's a really well regarded coach?

Cathro was terrible at Hearts but was unemployed for about 5 seconds on the back of his previous coaching exploits.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Hay Fever  
Date:   Thu 4 Nov 17:07

We’ve won 5 League games in a year since we beat the Hearts. Shields been here the whole time, no way should he get the Job.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Raymie the Legend  
Date:   Thu 4 Nov 17:30

I can’t recall any assistants who have gone on to have successful careers at that same club as managers

Guilty by association, in my book and would prefer a clean slate

It's bloody tough being a legend
Ron Atkinson - 1983

Post Edited (Thu 04 Nov 17:30)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: londonparsfan  
Date:   Thu 4 Nov 17:48

Zidane was assistant to some Real managers then got Head Coach of the Real B team then took straight over from Benitez.

Walter Smith took over from Souness after being his assistant.

Bob Paisley took over from Shankly although I doubt you'd say that needed a major turn around.

It's very rare that any supporter will know the contribution a coach has made positive or negative. You can have excellent coaches that are part of bad management teams.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Thu 4 Nov 17:52

Quote:

Raymie the Legend, Thu 4 Nov 17:30

I can’t recall any assistants who have gone on to have successful careers at that same club as managers

Some guys are excellent coaches but find management a much tougher proposition. We have twice gone through the promote from within route, firstly with John Potter and then with Stevie Crawford. Neither was an unqualified success but Stevie lasted a bit longer than JP and fared rather better.

Both are highly regarded coaches. JP is doing well at Hibs and Stevie will land a coaching job when he's ready to return to the game.

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Raymie the Legend  
Date:   Thu 4 Nov 17:58

How could I forget Walter. ?
Liverpool had the boot room..

It's bloody tough being a legend
Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Thu 4 Nov 18:05

"I can’t recall any assistants who have gone on to have successful careers at that same club as managers"

Bob Paisley won more honours as Liverpool manager in his 7 seasons in charge than Bill Shankly did in twice as many.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Thu 4 Nov 18:50

Quote:

Raymie the Legend, Thu 4 Nov 17:58

How could I forget Walter. ?
Liverpool had the boot room..

Walter Smith did extremely well at Rangers during the David Murray era, but there were undeniably extenuating circumstances at play at that time......

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: pacifist  
Date:   Thu 4 Nov 18:53

stage one - win on Saturday.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: fcda  
Date:   Thu 4 Nov 19:21

"failed regime" - can I just check: was Crawford's first (half) season also a failure? I mean, we were 7th when he took over, flirted with 4th but ultimately finished 7th - so a failure in your book right?

Who was his assistant?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: SergioDuarte  
Date:   Thu 4 Nov 19:24

I’m looking forward to Shields bringing his total football to the pars and a thumping 5 nil win on Saturday
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DA-go Par Adonis  
Date:   Thu 4 Nov 19:34

Indeed, Shields actually played his part in the moderate resurgence under Stevie Crawford.

It wasn't a raging success but it was no steady decline nor was it a failure.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I love it when we go sell Kevin Nisbet,
He's gonna pay for everyone this season.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parathletic  
Date:   Thu 4 Nov 19:41

Could be a coincidence but I don`t think we won a game under Shields/ Crawford until Callum Davidson came in? We also took one point out of the last 24 available.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: summeragent  
Date:   Thu 4 Nov 22:04

Maybe they should be given a few games and see how it goes.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: desparado  
Date:   Thu 4 Nov 22:07

No and no.

Personally I hope they both leave soon too..

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: CrossPar  
Date:   Thu 4 Nov 22:16

Can't imagine that they will be in charge for long as I don't think the board will take too long over an appointment, given our league position. Whether the new manager wants his own team in or continues with them is another question. Do think that we may get a reaction to PGs departure this Saturday that hopefully will result in our first win.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Grant  
Date:   Fri 5 Nov 00:02

Quote:

GG Riva, Thu 4 Nov 17:52

Quote:

Raymie the Legend, Thu 4 Nov 17:30

Some guys are excellent coaches but find management a much tougher proposition. We have twice gone through the promote from within route, firstly with John Potter and then with Stevie Crawford. Neither was an unqualified success but Stevie lasted a bit longer than JP and fared rather better.

Both are highly regarded coaches. JP is doing well at Hibs and Stevie will land a coaching job when he's ready to return to the game.

Crawford came back as an assistant at Edinburgh did he not GG?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: eastendalloapar  
Date:   Fri 5 Nov 07:18

When Shields came back it was as the youth team coach, not the first team. As we no longer have a youth team he has been working with the first team. As for tomorrow's game let us wait and see.

matt forsyth
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: LochgellyAlbert  
Date:   Fri 5 Nov 08:47

The improvement in Josh Edwards last season might have been down to Shields coaching?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: JamesAndrew74  
Date:   Fri 5 Nov 10:05

Quote:

LochgellyAlbert, Fri 05 Nov 08:47

The improvement in Josh Edwards last season might have been down to Shields coaching?

And Aaron Comrie to be fair
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: PARrot  
Date:   Sat 6 Nov 20:06

Well that's that answered.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Stoo  
Date:   Wed 10 Nov 09:52

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/sport/football/2724576/steven-whittaker-inverness-dunfermline-new-manager-graham-dorrans-injury/?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social

"Whittaker also confirmed that midfielder Iain Wilson is fully fit despite not being in the Pars squad against the Ton."

Well...that was silly.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GPar00  
Date:   Wed 10 Nov 09:56

Was it really though? He has been poor in the games he has came on in, arguably at fault for the rovers equaliser and did not cover himself in glory against Arbroath.

Post Edited (Wed 10 Nov 09:56)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 10 Nov 10:24

To me, bombing him out of the squad completely and having 3 strikers and just one extra midfielder on the bench in Dan Pybus was a bit daft.

On form, which I grant he is not yet after long term injury, he`s comfortably better than all of the midfielders on show on Saturday.

If we are going to get pumped off all n sundry then I`d give him the game time to get back to sharpness.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Bucuresti Par  
Date:   Wed 10 Nov 10:33

Doesn`t Wilson have some ongoing injury which can`t be treated but can only be managed? Hence why even in previous seasons, he was often missing. I think it`s more likely that he was left out on Saturday because of this, rather than purely on performance.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 10 Nov 11:01

I`d have assumed that too but i`m going on what Whittaker has been quoted as saying...perhaps he misspoke.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Wed 10 Nov 11:16

Gaspuitis and Kennedy are both away on international duty (maybe why Breen got the nod last week to give him some continuity?) and Dorrans may be available I see.

[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net