DAFC.net
Home 06 July 2022 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Robbo
Topic Originator: The Toun Clock  
Date:   Fri 5 Nov 22:49

Interview with the Courier this evening. Not ruling us out but says he’s not been asked about the Pars job and states that any approach has to be respectful as he’s an ICT employee.

[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Robbo
Topic Originator: londonparsfan  
Date:   Fri 5 Nov 23:19

I was at his book launch at Tynecastle tonight and was speaking to someone I was at school who works behind the scenes and he was saying the German's have their own view and Robbo isn't really in the running. No indication as to who that might be but save your pennies at the bookies would be my advice.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: RossF  
Date:   Fri 5 Nov 23:23

It sounds like he would be interested. I remember him saying something similar many years ago when he was linked with the Hearts job in his first spell at Caley.

I fear, as stated by londonparsfan, that we will end up with a Mark Fotheringham or Kenny Millee, which would be a disaster. I`d love to see Robertson or Petrie in though.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: londonparsfan  
Date:   Fri 5 Nov 23:28

To be honest I don't know who we are going to get but I've got my mate tonight that says there's been no approach for Robertson and another one who thinks we spoke to him on Monday!

The guy I spoke to tonight works for Hearts and I think might be more dialled in than the one who thinks we spoke to him on Monday. The one thing I can say for sure as it came from the horses mouth was that he was hugely appreciative of the support he's had from the ICT board so as the OP says any approach would have to be respectful to ICT if one was to materialise.

Post Edited (Fri 05 Nov 23:28)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: onandupthepars  
Date:   Fri 5 Nov 23:32

Having read the article, I think he is interested - otherwise he could have said, `not interested`.

But I can`t see us approaching him. If we did, I think we`d have to be able to say to him he`s shortlisted. I can`t see it - we`ll want folk to apply off their own bat, so we don`t make monkeys of ourselves again.

Post Edited (Fri 05 Nov 23:33)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: BoAPar  
Date:   Sat 6 Nov 02:04

While it`s not a definite no, I think we`d have to come with a pretty incredible offer to tempt him to leave a pretty secure job, with a club he feels strong loyalty to and in an area that he likes living.

Inverness might also want compensation.

I think Robertson joins Campbell and Petrie in the "unlikely" pile.

Not sure how the work permit situation impacts on foreign managers - if it is similar to players, then someone like Mark Fotheringham (who speaks German, knows the system but doesn`t need a work permit) may be the most exotic option we`re likely to get?

--------------------------------------------------
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Never10yairds  
Date:   Sat 6 Nov 03:05

That is pretty gutting for me. If Robbo isn’t in the boards plans, I fear what they are actually thinking.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: red-star-par  
Date:   Sat 6 Nov 04:36

Not sure why there is such a clamour on here for Robbo. When you look at his career as a manager, he hasn't really done much. It's not as good as John Hughes for example and he seems to get slated for the way he set up his team to play 10 years ago as if he has never learned.
[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Sat 6 Nov 06:56

Quote:

Never10yairds, Sat 6 Nov 03:05

That is pretty gutting for me. If Robbo isn’t in the boards plans, I fear what they are actually thinking.

This for me, too. Of course, it's all rumour and speculation at the moment and lpf's sources could turn out to be wrong and the Pars do bring him in after all.

If Thomas Meggle has a better manager lined up - perhaps a budding Klopp or Tuchel - all will be forgiven. 🙂

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: KnebworthPar  
Date:   Sat 6 Nov 07:57

I hope we get somebody left field. What’s the point of having new owners with a different philosophy and ideas but ending up with someone from the Scottish managerial merry go round? Surely the exciting thing is that we’re doing things differently?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Par  
Date:   Sat 6 Nov 08:18

[Post Deleted] - Utter Bollocks
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Rastapari  
Date:   Sat 6 Nov 08:35

Quote:

KnebworthPar, Sat 6 Nov 07:57

I hope we get somebody left field. What’s the point of having new owners with a different philosophy and ideas but ending up with someone from the Scottish managerial merry go round? Surely the exciting thing is that we’re doing things differently?

I kinda feel that way too however is bottom of the league with a squad heavy on defenders without much creativity the time to embedd another "philosophy"?
We're in a battle to survive, we need to be able to do the simple things first.

Carole Baskin fed Rasta to a tiger.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Berkey  
Date:   Sat 6 Nov 08:39

Expectations may need to be lowered from someone currently in a job as we’ll also need to give them some budget in jan to bring in some hopefully better players.

No idea about who’s all applied but if lambert has he’s got to be front runner, might speak basic German after a season at dortmund and has manager to a great level.

Got to be a better option that the likes of Miller and yogi.

Things will be looking up……..now yogi is gone!

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: JamesAndrew74  
Date:   Sat 6 Nov 09:29

Quote:

Berkey, Sat 06 Nov 08:39

Expectations may need to be lowered from someone currently in a job as we’ll also need to give them some budget in jan to bring in some hopefully better players.

No idea about who’s all applied but if lambert has he’s got to be front runner, might speak basic German after a season at dortmund and has manager to a great level.

Not Yogi, his record at provisional clubs is excellent. Lamberts is shocking except his first couple of jobs 10 years ago.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 6 Nov 09:36

Quote:

Rastapari, Sat 06 Nov 08:35

Quote:

KnebworthPar, Sat 6 Nov 07:57

I kinda feel that way too however is bottom of the league with a squad heavy on defenders without much creativity the time to embedd another "philosophy"?
We're in a battle to survive, we need to be able to do the simple things first.

Get that, but the thought of another tired old face getting us to mid table obscurity doesn’t really do it for me. What’s the worst that can happen? We get relegated, well it’s not the first time that’s happened!

I’d love to see something fresh and new. Meggle has been around top clubs in a number of roles and he’s been here a while now. I’m really looking forward to seeing what happens.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: kba  
Date:   Sat 6 Nov 09:40

Jimmy C was unknown till he came to us and he turned out to be one of the best. Fresh start fresh face bring in someone new exciting and with lots of new fresh ideas.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 6 Nov 09:45

Quote:

kba, Sat 6 Nov 09:40

Jimmy C was unknown till he came to us and he turned out to be one of the best. Fresh start fresh face bring in someone new exciting and with lots of new fresh ideas.

He was unknown to us, but highly regarded in the Netherlands all the same.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: PARrot  
Date:   Sat 6 Nov 09:50

Quote:

Berkey, Sat 6 Nov 08:39

I recon he speaks much better than basic German but I cant see how that is a factor at all. Are our new owners not all fluent in English?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 6 Nov 09:57

Agree with Rasta, in the summer we could have brought someone left field in, they’d have had time to find their feet. Now that could mean relegation. If the owners are willing to put philosophy before survival then they need to be prepared to underwrite the shortfall if we go down to league one.

Of course, in January they could spend our way out of trouble, I’ve no issue with that if they want to take that road.

I’d rather we played it safe with a Robbo, Campbell, Jimmy Mac who knows this league, I’d have far more confident in them keeping us in the championship this year and it wouldn’t cost the earth.

Edit, I was pretty against Yogi a week ago because I thought we would be setting our sights higher but seeing as we are seriously interviewing someone like Kenny Miller I’d actually be a tiny bit relieved if it was Yogi.

Post Edited (Sat 06 Nov 10:03)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 6 Nov 10:10

Quote:

GG Riva, Sat 6 Nov 09:45

Quote:

kba, Sat 6 Nov 09:40

He was unknown to us, but highly regarded in the Netherlands all the same.

True but the managers that are being talked about overseas are also the same . I think we should just go for it. I myself don't think we will be anywhere.near going down by the end of the season regardless of who's in charge with the players we have and if better come in when the Jan window opens.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: da_no_1  
Date:   Sat 6 Nov 10:14

It looks like we're pretty much where we were in May. Grants' card was marked as a total dud before he was announced, which obviously proved correct.

Whoever the new guy is, he has to be given a chance. If its Yogi, McIntyre, whoever.....get behind the guy. No appointment will be a perfect fit. All the candidates have flaws and they're ALL a gamble!

"Some days will stay a 1000 years, some pass like the flash of a spark"
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 6 Nov 10:58

Quote:

da_no_1, Sat 6 Nov 10:14

Whoever the new guy is, he has to be given a chance. If its Yogi, McIntyre, whoever.....get behind the guy. No appointment will be a perfect fit. All the candidates have flaws and they're ALL a gamble!

Good post. The managers at this level are either limited or inexperienced. If they weren't, they'd be managing at higher or even the highest levels.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: elvis_lives  
Date:   Sat 6 Nov 11:04

In the position we are in just now we surely need to hire a manger who can point to some sort of success on his CV (if he has one 😏).

Yes there will be failures on there as well but some success at managing is an essential.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Berry  
Date:   Sat 6 Nov 11:15

Be interesting to see if there are any hints at the game today.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Sat 6 Nov 11:18

"Jimmy C was unknown till he came to us and he turned out to be one of the best. Fresh start fresh face bring in someone new exciting and with lots of new fresh ideas."

As GG says, he was well regarded elsewhere.

He was also able to bring in quality players, whereas now we are in a different scenario.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 6 Nov 11:26

Quote:

veteraneastender, Sat 6 Nov 11:18

"Jimmy C was unknown till he came to us and he turned out to be one of the best. Fresh start fresh face bring in someone new exciting and with lots of new fresh ideas."

As GG says, he was well regarded elsewhere.

He was also able to bring in quality players, whereas now we are in a different scenario.

Not really there are quality players where there's managers are just now that we know little about and won't cost an arm and a leg to get. Think positive.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 6 Nov 11:35

2 points. I'm not telling, I'm asking.

It is repeatedly suggested that we just need someone to steady the ship and get the right guy in to progress next year.
Who would take that job?
Surely they are all expecting some security.

Also suggested the managers are managing at this level because that is the limit of their ability. "If they were better they would be managing at a higher level.
Well there are only so many positions available aren't there.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 6 Nov 11:39

I`m very concerned about Meggle`s views on appointing a manager. He was very keen on Grant and backed him on the board statement - coming out with rubbish about offside decisions, covid (something every team has endured) and bad luck on the managers part. He will most likely be a key voice in the decision to hire a manager.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GJS93  
Date:   Sat 6 Nov 11:48

as the sporting director of course he will be a key voice in the decision.

"In the position we are in just now we surely need to hire a manger who can point to some sort of success on his CV (if he has one 😏)."

easier said than done for so many reasons. if they are available, interested, like what the board have to say, the board like what he has to say, can agree on terms etc etc etc.

"Not really there are quality players where there`s managers are just now that we know little about and won`t cost an arm and a leg to get. Think positive"

abroad? all depends on the Brexit rules and what they will be for the Scottish game.

da_no_1`s post is spot on.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Sat 6 Nov 11:59

Topic Originator: da_no_1 like | nolike
Date: Sat 6 Nov 10:14

It looks like we`re pretty much where we were in May. Grants` card was marked as a total dud before he was announced, which obviously proved correct.

Whoever the new guy is, he has to be given a chance. If its Yogi, McIntyre, whoever.....get behind the guy. No appointment will be a perfect fit. All the candidates have flaws and they`re ALL a gamble!

Good post da

We are forever shaped by the Children we once were
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: JTH123  
Date:   Sat 6 Nov 12:06

Quote:

da_no_1, Sat 6 Nov 10:14

It looks like we're pretty much where we were in May. Grants' card was marked as a total dud before he was announced, which obviously proved correct.

Exactly. I posed the question a few days ago as to why so many were against Brian Rice. Not because I was advocating him but because I couldn't understand the negativity. Personally I wouldn't go for someone inexperienced eg Miller, but beyond that I've got an open mind.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: rikaka  
Date:   Sat 6 Nov 12:10

Quote:

RossF, Sat 6 Nov 11:39

I`m very concerned about Meggle`s views on appointing a manager. He was very keen on Grant and backed him on the board statement - coming out with rubbish about offside decisions, covid (something every team has endured) and bad luck on the managers part. He will most likely be a key voice in the decision to hire a manager.

100% agree
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: McCaig`s Tower  
Date:   Sat 6 Nov 12:25

Is Robbo saying “Come and get me?” as the tabloids would put it?

Perhaps he feels that it would be disloyal and disrespectful for him to apply for another job after ICT have been so good to him. So DAFC have to ask ICT for permission to speak to him. Then, who knows? There could be many dealbreakers – Robbo is settled, it’s the right move but at the wrong time, he won’t have full control, or the money’s not right, whatever. But I think our board owe it to the fans to investigate.

But if he is interested, he has to drop a hint. (And there are many ways of doing that).

Our problem is we should be 6 months (or 18, or 30…) into a 5 year plan, but instead we are at day -10 of a 6 month plan – avoid the drop. And has been pointed out – the person and style needed to keep us up may not be the same as the person/style needed to take us forward – there’s not much room to go backwards to go forwards from where we are. Is there a Jim Jefferies type who fancies one last short-term gig?

As for new appointments being a gamble – I’d prefer to call them a risk – you can manage risks. As I alluded to on the other thread – some names quoted could be brilliant, or they could be a disaster. Others may be dull, but somewhere in the middle.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Rigger Al  
Date:   Sat 6 Nov 12:29

Quote:

McCaig`s Tower, Sat 6 Nov 12:25

Perhaps he feels that it would be disloyal and disrespectful for him to apply for another job after ICT have been so good to him. So DAFC have to ask ICT for permission to speak to him. Then, who knows? There could be many dealbreakers – Robbo is settled, it’s the right move but at the wrong time, he won’t have full control, or the money’s not right, whatever. But I think our board owe it to the fans to investigate.

But if he is interested, he has to drop a hint. (And there are many ways of doing that).

Our problem is we should be 6 months (or 18, or 30…) into a 5 year plan, but instead we are at day -10 of a 6 month plan – avoid the drop. And has been pointed out – the person and style needed to keep us up may not be the same as the person/style needed to take us forward – there’s not much room to go backwards to go forwards from where we are. Is there a Jim Jefferies type who fancies one last short-term gig?

As for new appointments being a gamble – I’d prefer to call them a risk – you can manage risks. As I alluded to on the other thread – some names quoted could be brilliant, or they could be a disaster. Others may be dull, but somewhere in the middle.

Good post
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Rigger Al  
Date:   Sat 6 Nov 12:31

Quote:

McCaig`s Tower, Sat 6 Nov 12:25

Good post
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 6 Nov 12:43

In business terms risk is the right word. You assess the risks and try to mitigate them. In the case of appointing a football manager, gamble is possibly more apt.
If I'm Robbo's agent, I certainly wouldn't be advising him to discount himself from the running. There's no advantage to his client to do that. Even if he has no intention of moving he might be able to use the situation to negotiate a better deal where he is. Or just keep his employer on their toes.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 6 Nov 12:44

"Not really there are quality players where there`s managers are just now that we know little about and won`t cost an arm and a leg to get. Think positive."

Any suggestions as to who these quality players might be ?

Thinking realistically.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Sat 6 Nov 12:44

Shows not to listen to idiots on social media. We were told Robbo was interviewed next week, now we hear he hasn't even been approached!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 6 Nov 12:51

My bet is that it’ll be someone that isn’t even mentioned on the forums, a complete bolter.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: neilholland999  
Date:   Sat 6 Nov 13:05

All this talk about dropping hints etc is stupid. Surely if he or anyone else is interested in the job they will submit an application into the club...
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 6 Nov 13:13

Quote:

veteraneastender, Sat 6 Nov 12:44

"Not really there are quality players where there`s managers are just now that we know little about and won`t cost an arm and a leg to get. Think positive."

Thinking realistically.

The lad Nouble at Arbroath springs to mind. Was brilliant at EEP a few weeks back.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Sat 6 Nov 13:17

Maybe Robbo doesn`t feel the need to submit his cv...

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DrumRoad  
Date:   Sat 6 Nov 13:19

Topic Originator: KnebworthPar
Date: Sat 6 Nov 12:51

“My bet is that it’ll be someone that isn’t even mentioned on the forums, a
complete bolter”

Whoever our new manager is, you can be certain he will be installed on the new club owners say so………… I would not be surprised to see someone from the German leagues brought in? but whoever it is, needs to have experience & a decent track record, oh aye & have a thick skin!

2015/16 League one Winners
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 6 Nov 13:27

"The lad Nouble at Arbroath springs to mind. Was brilliant at EEP a few weeks back."

He`s already spoken for - and on loan from Livi.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 6 Nov 13:30

Quote:

veteraneastender, Sat 6 Nov 12:44

Thinking realistically.

If I knew that I would be a football agent not a bus driver, our football director however will know plenty of agents who do know where gems are to be had.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 6 Nov 13:30

Quote:

wee eck, Sat 6 Nov 13:17

Maybe Robbo doesn`t feel the need to submit his cv...

🤣🤣
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 6 Nov 13:36

"If I knew that I would be a football agent not a bus driver, our football director however will know plenty of agents who do know where gems are to be had."

Pity he hasn`t found their whereabouts already.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 6 Nov 13:45

Quote:

veteraneastender, Sat 6 Nov 13:36

"If I knew that I would be a football agent not a bus driver, our football director however will know plenty of agents who do know where gems are to be had."

Pity he hasn`t found their whereabouts already.

He maybe has remember the transfer window is closed. Once again think positive.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 6 Nov 14:09

Quote:

veteraneastender, Sat 6 Nov 13:27

"The lad Nouble at Arbroath springs to mind. Was brilliant at EEP a few weeks back."

He`s already spoken for - and on loan from Livi.

He was just meant to be an example VEE.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 6 Nov 14:11

Quote:

RossF, Sat 6 Nov 11:39

When people in his position make statements they have to consider internal diplomacy as well as external.it is a difficult task in trying times.

The cogs have been turning in the background.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 6 Nov 17:17

I see what you mean Parrot but people reading the statement aren`t stupid. Claiming an unfair offside decision (which was miles offside) cost us a win at QoTS was complete cringe. Fans appreciate honesty, not complete rubbish! It would have made more sense to leave it short and sweet rather than expanding and giving reasons not many would agree with.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: saltonsgonagetu  
Date:   Sat 6 Nov 18:30

He do well to stay well clear if the Pars job ,it's a train wreck .

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: eastendalloapar  
Date:   Sat 6 Nov 19:42

If he was suffering depression at ICT he would be far worse at DA. My advice to him is stay away from Dunfermline unless your in the ICT coach.

matt forsyth
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 6 Nov 19:47

I don`t get the argument that Robbo, or any other potential candidate, will be put off by our poor form and results. Most managerial vacancies halfway through a season come about after a poor run of results and if a candidate doesn`t think he can turn things round he shouldn`t be involved in football management.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Kessel  
Date:   Sat 6 Nov 19:50

Quote:

wee eck, Sat 6 Nov 19:47

I don`t get the argument that Robbo, or any other potential candidate, will be put off by our poor form and results. Most managerial vacancies halfway through a season come about after a poor run of results and if a candidate doesn`t think he can turn things round he shouldn`t be involved in football management.

A management team of Pep Guardiola, Jürgen Klopp & Sir Alex Ferguson would struggle to turn things around with this group of players to be fair.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Indiapar  
Date:   Sat 6 Nov 19:50

Quote:

eastendalloapar, Sat 6 Nov 19:42

If he was suffering depression at ICT he would be far worse at DA. My advice to him is stay away from Dunfermline unless your in the ICT coach.

I think JR was very brave to highlight his issues. Only he can say if he feels he could take the job on. Its going to be a pressure job.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 6 Nov 20:19

`A management team of Pep Guardiola, Jürgen Klopp & Sir Alex Ferguson would struggle to turn things around with this group of players to be fair.`

I wonder how many of those now criticising the quality of the squad were predicting a promotion challenge, if not an outright Championship win, at the start of the season? There tends to be an awful lot of revisionism on this forum. Is the quality poor or are the players under-performing? Lack of confidence is a big factor and one of the new manager`s main tasks will be to restore it.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: SergioDuarte  
Date:   Sat 6 Nov 20:23

Quote:

wee eck, Sat 06 Nov 20:19

`A management team of Pep Guardiola, Jürgen Klopp & Sir Alex Ferguson would struggle to turn things around with this group of players to be fair.`

I wonder how many of those now criticising the quality of the squad were predicting a promotion challenge, if not an outright Championship win, at the start of the season? There tends to be an awful lot of revisionism on this forum. Is the quality poor or are the players under-performing? Lack of confidence is a big factor and one of the new manager`s main tasks will be to restore it.

Anyone that predicted we were winning this league would have almost certainly been drugged out their mind.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parathletic  
Date:   Sat 6 Nov 20:27

Topic Originator: SergioDuarte like | nolike
Date: Sat 6 Nov 20:23

Quote:

wee eck, Sat 06 Nov 20:19

Anyone that predicted we were winning this league would have almost certainly been drugged out their mind

Or was appointed manager.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wulliepar57  
Date:   Sat 6 Nov 20:28

wee eck
I think the players we have are underperforming at present down to lack of confidence and this can be addressed by a new manager coming in , I was hoping today we would get the Monkey off our backs against a very poor Morton team and could kick on from there ,Not to be a poor formation didn`t help us one up front at home was like playing for damage limitation good grief we were at home we should have took the game to them anyway cannot change things so will stop there

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 6 Nov 20:29

The usual reluctance of fans to own up to their misjudgements whilst blaming everyone else for theirs, I see. Why are we all so disappointed if we didn`t expect better?

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Kessel  
Date:   Sat 6 Nov 20:30

Quote:

wee eck, Sat 6 Nov 20:19

No revisionism from me, if that's what you're getting at. At no point, either before the season started or since, have I ever said we'd be pushing for promotion with Grant as the manager and with this squad.

Out of interest how did you think the Pars would do at the start of the season Eck Lad?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 6 Nov 20:36

Quote:

wee eck, Sat 6 Nov 20:19

PG was over exuberant in his prediction of winning the league and raised false expectations. He also brought in players who are not good enough in my view albeit his options may have been limited. Unfortunately yesterdays solutions become todays problems and I think we are still suffering a bit from the days of administration. RM did a great job in my view but he probably realised a couple of years ago it was time to step aside. I hope with the new investors there will be renewed impetus to take us forward. I think another couple of losses and our season in terms of making the playoffs will be over and we will do well to stay up. Maybe we have to take a step back to take a step forward, who knows.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 6 Nov 20:40

I thought we`d be contesting the promotion play-off places, not the relegation play-off places. I can`t remember what individual posters were predicting but I think the consensus was that we had a squad good enough to compete for promotion.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 6 Nov 20:46

Quote:

wee eck, Sat 6 Nov 20:40

I thought we`d be contesting the promotion play-off places, not the relegation play-off places. I can`t remember what individual posters were predicting but I think the consensus was that we had a squad good enough to compete for promotion.

I would agree wee eck. Based on the previous season the thought was we would build on that this season. No doubt SC resigning caught the BoD off guard and perhaps PGs appointment was a bit of a knee jerk reaction given everything that was going on. Covid hasn't helped. The way I see it, you cannot predict the season given the fact that we sign players on 1 season deals, have loan players, have to deal with injuries, and the club is in a state of flux with new owners coming in.

Post Edited (Sat 06 Nov 20:48)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GJS93  
Date:   Sat 6 Nov 20:53

"I think another couple of losses and our season in terms of making the playoffs will be over and we will do well to stay up"

rough guess we would need to win 13 or 14 of the remaining 23 games to finish 4th? that isnt happening no matter who gets the job.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Rastapari  
Date:   Sat 6 Nov 20:53

On paper it was looking good at the start...then we signed another defender...then another...and another whilst creating nothing.
Oh and the lad from United aside they were all pi5h....let's not even talk about the new keeper.

Then there was Grant's inability to see they were pi5h and couldn't play to his "philosophy".

Now we're stuck with them low on confidence and seriously lacking backbone.

Some are crap, some weak, some not fit enough and some look like they would rather be somewhere else.

It's a mess that unfolded pretty quickly to the casual observer...unfortunately those whose observations mattered dallied and stalled...mirroring the lack of bravery on the park.

So here we are waiting for an appointment made by those same people, it's really no wonder there's a lack of confidence in them, they've done nothing to inspire any..so far.

My worry is that The Pars are but a hobby, a plaything, really worrying.

Carole Baskin fed Rasta to a tiger.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: kelty_par  
Date:   Sat 6 Nov 21:06

From my recollection most people thought we had two reasonable keepers, a few centre backs, decent full backs, a couple of good but inconsistent wingers and some different options up front. The big worry was in the midfield when we didn`t bring anyone of quality in. Most people assumed Pybus would be a squad player but he ended up playing pretty much every game. People assumed we`d bring in one or two more in there but instead we had Thomas and Dow play there. We eventually signed Dorrans who wasn`t fit when he arrived. I thought we`d be in the mix for the title as long as we addressed the shortcomings in the middle of the park. To then find out Mehmet was awful, Graham wasn`t a football player and that we were melded to 3-5-2 and any thoughts of having a good season ended. We have a decent enough base of a squad and a couple of decent midfield options coming in in January should be enough, because there is no way Morton etc have better squads than we do, it`s just ours is so ridiculously unbalanced.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: AdamAntsParsStripe  
Date:   Sat 6 Nov 21:20

Peter Grant did not sign a single player that was better than we had last season. This is the bottom line of the matter.

As for today, I really could not believe Greg Shields could have such a negative looking lineup against the team we really needed to beat at home ffs.

What was he thinking?

Taking Dom Thomas off was absurd to say the least as well.

He can change a game with a simple cross and he was up for it.

I'm seriously thinking we are now relegation certainties.

Zwei Pints Bier und ein Päckchen Chips bitte
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Grant  
Date:   Sat 6 Nov 21:28

4231 isn't a negative formation.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Rusty Shackleford  
Date:   Sat 6 Nov 21:30

Quote:

Grant, Sat 6 Nov 21:28

Exactly. It's not negative at all.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 6 Nov 21:32

Unfortunately for some they are still stuck in the 442 two strikers up top 1990s mindset.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 6 Nov 21:34

Keltypar, nobody sane thinks we have 2 decent keepers

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: AdamAntsParsStripe  
Date:   Sat 6 Nov 21:42

Quote:

Yeah it looks good when you write it down but the reality on the pitch was, it looked like O'Hara was on his tod for much of the game.

We had no threat at all so it was more 4-5-1

Zwei Pints Bier und ein Päckchen Chips bitte
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 6 Nov 22:08

Really hope we go and get Robbo now. Seemed coyly interested in his courier interview. Unsurprising he couldn’t show more interest considering he is employed and how good ict have been with him.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Polt  
Date:   Sat 6 Nov 22:27

I`m wondering if the reason he ain`t been approached is due to the fall out between both clubs chairmen a while ago. I don`t know but I really want the club to honour the rigorous recruitment mentioned in the statement, by that it means anyone that has the proven skills and shown interest to be approached and given an opportunity to interview alongside those that have applied.

PG showed you can talk a fkn good game but that doesn`t necessarily mean it`ll work. My fear is they get sucked in by BS because they are blinkered by what they want and not what is best for the club. The aim should be reset. This season survive relegation. Next season minimum play off spot, if not promoted then automatic promotion the next.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: cfad  
Date:   Sat 6 Nov 22:30

So build on each season, is that not what Crawford did before he got hounded? Play off spot, tick, and then who knows the next season. We've only gone backwards since.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Polt  
Date:   Sat 6 Nov 22:37

Only way we are gonna do it unless we spend more in January like Dundee did last season.
Crawford was hounded out because we had so many opportunities to move into 1st and break away from the pack to instead fall down the league and lucky to secure the final play off place with a game spare. Despite a solid start. Crawford bought very wisely and I honestly wish he dealt with summer signings before he quit

The difference was we knew the team could play alot better than what we were seeing come the end. With PG well.....all we seen was whatever he done we were handed our backsides most of the time.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 6 Nov 23:07

I keep reading that Crawford got hounded. Where’s this coming from ?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: buffy  
Date:   Sat 6 Nov 23:12

Quote:

SergioDuarte, Sat 06 Nov 23:07

I keep reading that Crawford got hounded. Where’s this coming from ?

A very long thread started by the usual “Manager Out” poster.
[URL]https://dafc.net/forum/read.php?f=1&i=1826096&t=1816192#reply_1826096[/URL]

buffysbuns.wordpress.com
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: nick_dafc1  
Date:   Sat 6 Nov 23:31

Quote:

wulliepar57, Sat 6 Nov 20:28

wee eck
I think the players we have are underperforming at present down to lack of confidence and this can be addressed by a new manager coming in , I was hoping today we would get the Monkey off our backs against a very poor Morton team and could kick on from there ,Not to be a poor formation didn`t help us one up front at home was like playing for damage limitation good grief we were at home we should have took the game to them anyway cannot change things so will stop there

Which other strikers could he have played.. Wighton and Todorov have hardly done much.

We did take the game to them and tried to build through midfield. Unfortunately are defending was poor for this level.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Grant  
Date:   Sat 6 Nov 23:38

Quote:

AdamAntsParsStripe, Sat 6 Nov 21:42

Quote:

Yeah it looks good when you write it down but the reality on the pitch was, it looked like O'Hara was on his tod for much of the game.

We had no threat at all so it was more 4-5-1

Dow was pretty close to O'Hara, we looked a bigger threat going forward as a 4231 than when we changed and went 442...

Simply putting more attackers in the pitch higher up doesn't equate to attacking threat.
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net