DAFC.net
Home 06 July 2022 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Dean smith
Topic Originator: MDCCCLXXXV  
Date:   Sun 7 Nov 13:40

Parted with Villa

East End Park is a symbol of all that is DAFC.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Dean smith
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Sun 7 Nov 13:57

Quote:

MDCCCLXXXV, Sun 7 Nov 13:40

Parted with Villa

Shame. He was on the point of being sacked last season (or was it the one before last?) when Villa were on a poor run, but got a win in his last chance game and Villa then went on a good run and climbed up the table.

StevieG was in the frame then, so I expect he'll be in the frame now. He's done well at Ibrox, but Villa would be a good test for him if he is to succeed Klopp at Liverpool.

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 7 Nov 14:13

Seems worse when everyone can see the two are meant to be GG

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks  
Date:   Sun 7 Nov 14:22

If Gerrard wants any sort of chance of ever getting the Liverpool job then he should stay clear of Villa and any other Premier League club. At Villa he`d be absolutely doing amazing to get them finishing sixth. More than likely he`d do be doing good job to have them finishing between eighth and twelfth most years. Doing a good job but not good enough for Liverpool`s American owners to take a punt on him.

We all hate poverty, war, and injustice.
Unlike the rest of you squares.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 8 Nov 09:59

Quote:

The One Who Knocks, Sun 7 Nov 14:22

If Gerrard wants any sort of chance of ever getting the Liverpool job then he should stay clear of Villa and any other Premier League club. At Villa he`d be absolutely doing amazing to get them finishing sixth. More than likely he`d do be doing good job to have them finishing between eighth and twelfth most years. Doing a good job but not good enough for Liverpool`s American owners to take a punt on him.

This may not be significant but the bookies have installed him as 6/4 fav. Maybe they've heard the same rumours as me? One thing is certain, he's not going to get the Liverpool job he craves going directly from Ibrox. Souness did it, but that was a different era, under different owners. I can't see it happening now.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 8 Nov 14:40

Rangers fans will be nervous, all their eggs are in the Stevie basket, yes it was hard stopping 10 in a row, but following up again was always gonna be harder. If Stevie G moves on it's all good for him, another step closer to Liverpool job.
Rangers on the other hand, let's just say ...look how quick everything collapsed when Brendan left the other cheeck of the same bottom

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 8 Nov 15:28

Quote:

MDCCCLXXXV, Mon 8 Nov 14:40

Rangers fans will be nervous, all their eggs are in the Stevie basket, yes it was hard stopping 10 in a row, but following up again was always gonna be harder. If Stevie G moves on it's all good for him, another step closer to Liverpool job.
Rangers on the other hand, let's just say ...look how quick everything collapsed when Brendan left the other cheeck of the same bottom

Rodgers was certainly a big loss for Celtic, compounded by the poor decision to reappoint Neil Lennon. He won the treble with Brendan's team but went quickly downhill after that.

If Gerrard did leave for Villa, Rangers could avoid a similar collapse by making sure they appoint a manager of similar calibre. If they were to bring back Ally McCoist, however...... ☹

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: 1985Par  
Date:   Mon 8 Nov 15:38

I`m sure Gerrard is a very good manager. I just don`t think that finishing 1st in a two horse race really proves it.

[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: DA-go Par Adonis  
Date:   Mon 8 Nov 15:46

That`s not what has proven it though. It`s doing so with an arguably less talented squad, without losing a game and, most importantly, substantially improving their European results and performances.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I love it when we go sell Kevin Nisbet,
He's gonna pay for everyone this season.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 8 Nov 16:03

Quote:

1985Par, Mon 8 Nov 15:38

I`m sure Gerrard is a very good manager. I just don`t think that finishing 1st in a two horse race really proves it.

If that was the only yardstick, it wouldn't be saying much at all because Celtic were abysmal, last season, but as DA-go says after you, they did well in Europe and finished unbeaten in the league. How often has that happened in Scotland's top flight?

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jwd1103  
Date:   Mon 8 Nov 16:13

Gerrard & his backroom staff to Villa will be a financial godsend for Sevco, since no clubs want to buy their multi-million pound rated (by the SMSM) galacticos. The compensation will help reduce their £21m losses this season. Graeme Murty still around to fill the gap until they get a new manager in.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 8 Nov 16:21

Glasgow is a wierd one, you could have the 2nd worse manager in Europe and keep your job, or 2nd best manager in Europe and no good to no one. (Over simplified bu you get the drift)

I believe Stevie G is a good manager but ideally can't see him getting anywhere near the Annfield hot seat

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: 1985Par  
Date:   Mon 8 Nov 16:27

GG - by your own admission "Celtic were abysmal" last season. So Rangers won a 2 horse race in which the other horse was abysmal, as you put it. PL chairmen will see this as well. You also say that Gerrard won`t go straight to the Liverpool job. Why not? Unproven, that`s why.

If Gerrard wants a top job in England he will have to prove himself in England. One good run in the Europa league, finishing above an "abysmal" Celtic and remaining unbeaten against the like of Hamilton and Kilmarnock doesn`t "prove" you are a top manager.

And all done in customary Sevco style, by sticking another £23 million onto their debt.

Post Edited (Mon 08 Nov 16:47)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Playup_Pompey  
Date:   Mon 8 Nov 16:45

Villa may well be too big a risk to SG`s "stock". Just now its high and potential to rise fairly effortlessly at ibrox where as Villa could do some irreparable damage to future hopes of the Anfield #1 job if he doesnt get them singing. Adversely if he does he chances being head hunted once Klopp does move.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 8 Nov 16:46

Quote:

1985Par, Mon 8 Nov 16:27

GG - by your own admission "Celtic were abysmal" last season. So Rangers won a 2 horse race in which the other horse was abysmal, as you put it. PL chairmen will see this as well. You also say that Gerrard won`t go straight to the Liverpool job. Why not? Unproven, that`s why.

If Gerrard wants a top job in England he will have to prove himself in England. One good run in the Europa league, finishing above an "abysmal" Celtic and remaining unbeaten against the like of Hamilton and Kilmarnock doesn`t "prove" you are a top manager.

I didn't say it proved anything, mate, but you can only beat what's in front of you. To finish unbeaten in any league is a fine achievement, no matter how poor the opposition is. Only Celtic, under Rodgers managed it recently, apart from Rangers last season.

I agree that Gerrard will have to prove he can cut it with a lesser club in the EPL, to have a chance of the Liverpool job when it comes up, so we're on the same wavelength. I think I implied as much further up.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: AdamAntsParsStripe  
Date:   Mon 8 Nov 16:59

Gerrard would need to do something substantial in the EPL before he can be considered for Liverpool.
I don't think managing Rangers (2012) counts as a realistic springboard and bear in mind that championship is the only trophy he's won.

Zwei Pints Bier und ein Päckchen Chips bitte
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: bannerpar  
Date:   Mon 8 Nov 17:17

It wouldn`t surprise me if Derek MacInnes is biding his time waiting on Gerrard getting his move from Ibrox.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: OzPar  
Date:   Mon 8 Nov 18:06

Quite seriously, I would have my money on Ange Postecoglou replacing Klopp. Ange is destined for greatness and will outshine Steve Gerrard very quickly.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 8 Nov 18:08

Quote:

bannerpar, Mon 8 Nov 17:17

It wouldn`t surprise me if Derek MacInnes is biding his time waiting on Gerrard getting his move from Ibrox.

Are you forgetting McInnes was offered the Ibrox job a few years ago and turned them down, following in the footsteps of Sir Fergie and Jolly Jim McLean? The narrative after that was that he was a crapper and the Rangers job was too big for him.

I'd be very surprised if he was given another chance to snub them.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 8 Nov 18:26

Quote:

OzPar, Mon 8 Nov 18:06

Quite seriously, I would have my money on Ange Postecoglou replacing Klopp. Ange is destined for greatness and will outshine Steve Gerrard very quickly.

If Stevie G and Ange Postecoglou were that closely matched in football management stakes and it came down to personality Ange would win by walkover, I loved Stevie as a player but in his first managerial role he has fell well below my estimation. I think he is probably in his DREAM job right now. And will 100% get offered ibrox role again before getting anywhere near Anfield

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: bannerpar  
Date:   Mon 8 Nov 22:58

You`re right GGR, I had forgotten he had the chance before. Just think he is in the cost bracket that they might be looking to pay.

[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net