DAFC.net
Home 06 July 2022 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Pars Players who became Pars Manager
Topic Originator: summeragent  
Date:   Sun 7 Nov 14:43

Out of interest how many Pars ex players have been good managers for the Pars, and who have been bad?

We had Bert Paton, Dick Campbell and Jim Leishman, Jim McIntyre, Willie Cunningham who had some success. Stevie C had an okay, although uninspiring stint but compared to PG was like Pep!

Any other ex Pars players managed Pars? Would be interested to see the list of who has been successful and who has been a failure as an ex player.

Then we can agree that Dick Campbell and Stewart Petrie should be appointed as our Management team if possible!🤣🤣🤣.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Pars Players who became Pars Manager
Topic Originator: Kessel  
Date:   Sun 7 Nov 14:48

John Potter
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: londonparsfan  
Date:   Sun 7 Nov 14:49

Harry Melrose was another
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 7 Nov 15:00

Harry Melrose was successful, John Potter not.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: McCaig`s Tower  
Date:   Sun 7 Nov 15:03

George Miller

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 7 Nov 15:06

Looks like George Miller had a pretty poor record so put him as a negative.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 7 Nov 15:07

So looks like so far:

Successful managers - 6

Average managers - 1

Poor managers - 2

Still looking good for Dick Campbell and Stewart Petrie! 🤔
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: twin par  
Date:   Sun 7 Nov 15:35

Always remember, when George Miller was boss ,we got knocked out the cup by Clydebank .He was raging,and wanted to fine the players.Don't think he got away with it.Having said that,I was at the game,and the team were a disgrace.We got beaten 2 -1,if my memory serves me right.
[IP address logged]
-
Date:   Sun 7 Nov 15:37

Quote:

twin par, Sun 07 Nov 15:35

Always remember, when George Miller was boss ,we got knocked out the cup by Clydebank .He was raging,and wanted to fine the players.Don't think he got away with it.Having said that,I was at the game,and the team were a disgrace.We got beaten 2 -1,if my memory serves me right.

We definitely don’t want Miller back as Manager 🤣🤣🤣!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: twin par  
Date:   Sun 7 Nov 16:04

There is one massive problem there.🥶 Poor guy is no longer with us.

Post Edited (Sun 07 Nov 16:05)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 7 Nov 16:20

Still might have been better than PG 🥴!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: fcda  
Date:   Sun 7 Nov 16:30

Is Campbell's stint as Pars manager considered a success?

Took over when we were struggling in the premier, failed to avoid relegation, did have us top in the following season but performances weren't great and he was sacked.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 7 Nov 16:47

Quote:

fcda, Sun 07 Nov 16:30

Took over when we were struggling in the premier, failed to avoid relegation, did have us top in the following season but performances weren't great and he was sacked.

I suppose it’s debatable. He was sacked when he was top of the league. However he is a more experienced manager now. Arbroath are playing some good stuff and are the best PT team in Scotland!

Do you think he is the man for the job now? I think it’s not just managing the team but the BOD and I don’t think he would take any BS 🤣🤣.

Not sure how he would do in the SPL but would sort us out in the Championship imo.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: FA1968  
Date:   Sun 7 Nov 17:31

Absolutely

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 7 Nov 20:41

Quote:

summeragent, Sun 7 Nov 16:47

Quote:

I suppose it’s debatable. He was sacked when he was top of the league. However he is a more experienced manager now. Arbroath are playing some good stuff and are the best PT team in Scotland!

Do you think he is the man for the job now? I think it’s not just managing the team but the BOD and I don’t think he would take any BS 🤣🤣.

Not sure how he would do in the SPL but would sort us out in the Championship imo.

I'm just questioning your stats, counting him as a success, since that's the topic of the thread.

In the context of the expectations at the time, DC was a failure at The Pars, imo. Seems harsh, but I don't remember too many objections from the fans. The team was under performing despite being top and there was a feeling that we'd throw it away eventually unless changes were made.

He does have a lot more experience now, but that's off topic.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 7 Nov 20:56

Quote:

fcda, Sun 07 Nov 20:41

Quote:

Quote:

I'm just questioning your stats, counting him as a success, since that's the topic of the thread.

In the context of the expectations at the time, DC was a failure at The Pars, imo. Seems harsh, but I don't remember too many objections from the fans. The team was under performing despite being top and there was a feeling that we'd throw it away eventually unless changes were made.

Apparently DC was also assistant to Bert Paton. Can’t remember the football being amazing but they did the job well.

‘Paton and Campbell guided Dunfermline to promotion in the 1995–96 Scottish First Division season, and also achieved their highest league position, finishing fifth in the 1996–97 Scottish Premier Division season. Paton and Campbell's team were known for their adventurous attacking style of play’.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: red-star-par  
Date:   Sun 7 Nov 21:18

Quote:

summeragent, Sun 7 Nov 20:56

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Apparently DC was also assistant to Bert Paton. Can’t remember the football being amazing but they did the job well.

‘Paton and Campbell guided Dunfermline to promotion in the 1995–96 Scottish First Division season, and also achieved their highest league position, finishing fifth in the 1996–97 Scottish Premier Division season. Paton and Campbell's team were known for their adventurous attacking style of play’.

The football was amazing, by far my favourite time to be a Pars fan, even better than the Leishman years. It seemed like every weekend the cage was bouncing as we pumped some side rotten, with some fantastic wing play culminating in a centre forward ramming it in the pokey, before grabbing a fish supper on the way home, then heading back out for a pub crawl to the sounds of Oasis, Blur and The Charlatans before pulling some midden in Nicos and waking up to a half eaten kebab the next morning. And eating the rest of it then
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 7 Nov 21:26

Quote:

red-star-par, Sun 07 Nov 21:18

Quote:

summeragent, Sun 7 Nov 20:56

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

The football was amazing, by far my favourite time to be a Pars fan, even better than the Leishman years. It seemed like every weekend the cage was bouncing as we pumped some side rotten, with some fantastic wing play culminating in a centre forward ramming it in the pokey, before grabbing a fish supper on the way home, then heading back out for a pub crawl to the sounds of Oasis, Blur and The Charlatans before pulling some midden in Nicos and waking up to a half eaten kebab the next morning. And eating the rest of it then

Now you are talking. Great football, great music, time in the pub and a kebab to finish! Let’s get Dick Campbell back to EEP sharp 🤣🤣🤣
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parathletic  
Date:   Sun 7 Nov 21:52

Their first season in charge we were the top scorers in Europe across all the leagues IIRC-we scored 93 league goals(more than we have in the last 2 and a half seasons combined!) We lost out by a point to Falkirk for the title though.

We then lost out by a point again to the Rovers, losing in the play-off to Aberdeen before beating a good Dundee Utd team to the title the following season.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 7 Nov 22:03

Quote:

parathletic, Sun 07 Nov 21:52

Their first season in charge we were the top scorers in Europe across all the leagues IIRC-we scored 93 league goals(more than we have in the last 2 and a half seasons combined!) We lost out by a point to Falkirk for the title though.

We then lost out by a point again to the Rovers, losing in the play-off to Aberdeen before beating a good Dundee Utd team to the title the following season.

Was Stewart Petrie and Andy Smith playing for us at that time? I remember Marc Millar playing us in the 90s and being a bit of a ‘hot head’!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parathletic  
Date:   Sun 7 Nov 22:22

There you go Summeragent-possibly my favourite Pars match ever

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geVipgT_0Tg

Ian Westwater
Colin Miller
Marc Millar
Ivo den Bieman
Andy Tod
Derek Fleming
Allan Moore
Craig Robertson
Andy Smith
Hamish French
Stewart Petrie

Guido van de Kamp
Brian Rice
Greg Shaw

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 7 Nov 22:39

Quote:

parathletic, Sun 07 Nov 22:22

There you go Summeragent-possibly my favourite Pars match ever

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geVipgT_0Tg

Ian Westwater
Colin Miller
Marc Millar
Ivo den Bieman
Andy Tod
Derek Fleming
Allan Moore
Craig Robertson
Andy Smith
Hamish French
Stewart Petrie

Guido van de Kamp
Brian Rice
Greg Shaw

Brilliant. I was at that game. Didn’t expect to win that and we were under a lot of pressure. But our defence held firm and maybe a bit of luck thrown in. Whatever happened to that man Petrie - maybe he should be in our management team 🤣🤣🤣!

Thanks for adding the link 👍👍👍
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: arpar  
Date:   Sun 7 Nov 22:45

Remember listening to the match on the radio.
Petrie was raging at that sending off but looked a clear booking. Had to laugh at Jock Brown saying they were all heroes except for Petrie. Did he forget he scored the only goal of the game!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 7 Nov 23:27

Apologies. I thought the thread was about how successful ex Pars players were as Pars manager, not as assistant manager.

The Dick & Bert years were indeed great times.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DulochConvert  
Date:   Sun 7 Nov 23:53

Also Dick Campbell’s Wikipedia is wrong and being quoted in this thread, 5th in the 95-96 season isn’t our highest league position

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: SergioDuarte  
Date:   Sun 7 Nov 23:55

Brings back great memories that one. Jock Brown was a brilliant commentator
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net