DAFC.net
Home 01 December 2021 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Seeding for WC qualifiers
Topic Originator: onandupthepars  
Date:   Fri 12 Nov 21:45

Apologies if this has been dealt with elsewhere - if it has, could you refer me to it please.

Otherwise, as far as I can grasp it, we will be seeded if we get a point v Denmark.

If we lose, we`ll end up on 14 points (our two wins v Moldova are discarded because some other groups only have five teams, whereas ours has six.)

One or more other second-placed teams could end on 14 points.

Does anyone know how seeding would be decided between teams tied on points?

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/international/who-will-scotland-play-in-world-cup-play-offs-are-scotland-seeded-when-is-qatar-2022-3456742

Post Edited (Fri 12 Nov 22:48)
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Seeding for WC qualifiers
Date:   Fri 12 Nov 23:07

Thinks: one o` thon Sportscene presenters might tell us efter the highlights the night.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks  
Date:   Fri 12 Nov 23:46

Does it really matter if we are at home or not? We beat Serbia away to qualify for the Euros and once there lost our two games at Hampden but managed to draw away to England.

We all hate poverty, war, and injustice.
Unlike the rest of you squares.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: MDCCCLXXXV  
Date:   Sat 13 Nov 09:25

It matters, a sell out Hampden makes a huge difference , Scotland probably had more fans at Wembley than they did at either of their 2 home games at the Euros

East End Park is a symbol of all that is DAFC.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 13 Nov 15:30

This article from BBC Sport seems to suggest that teams tied on points will be separated on goal difference:

Quote:

"Highly likely Scotland will need something against Denmark to avoid a tough away semi-final.

A win at Hampden would wrap up a home tie against likes of Ukraine or Romania, with Wales and Austria poised to get away draws through the Nations League route.

Scotland look vulnerable on goal difference.

Seeding does not apply for the play-off finals.

Countries to keep an eye on:

The Czech Republic in Group E and Norway in Group G are on 11 points and both are likely to improve on that with home matches against Estonia and Latvia to come.

Scotland are better off than those pair for goals at the moment and the Czechs
have no more games after that, while Norway end their group in the Netherlands."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think being at Hampden would help us. We lost to Czech Republic and Croatia at Hampden in the Euros but I doubt if we`d have done any better playing them away.

Main thing is, get something from Denmark and that`d settle it.

source: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/59238508

Post Edited (Sat 13 Nov 23:01)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: allparone  
Date:   Sat 13 Nov 21:26

It looks like Norway have blown it and left the door open for Turkey after a draw with Latvia tonight. They’re both on the same points with Turkey playing Montenegro and Norway playing Holland in their last matches.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Luxembourg Par  
Date:   Sat 13 Nov 22:10

Aye - Norway made a right pigs ear of it tonight
74% possession
9 corners
23 shots OFF target
0 shots ON target

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 13 Nov 23:04

Here are the current group tables and remaining fixtures, if anyone would like to work it out. I think this site is about the best in terms of clarity:

https://www.google.com/search?q=world+cup+qualifying+groups&rlz=1C1JZAP_enGB966GB966&oq=world+cup+qualifying+groups&aqs=chrome..69i57j0i131i433i512l3j0i512l6.10264j1

I agree with the BBC post I linked earlier - it seems highly likely we will need something from the Denmark game - improbable that we`ll get seeded with 14 points.

Post Edited (Sat 13 Nov 23:11)
[IP address logged]
-
Date:   Sun 14 Nov 21:49

Now looks like we`ll have to beat Denmark to be seeded.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Row_ZZ  
Date:   Sun 14 Nov 22:21

Yeah, we probably need a win to be seeded now.

Not fussed either way, just as long as we avoid Portugal as they could seriously hammer us. Fancy up against any of the others currently sitting second. Is ot a two-legged thing? Or is it two one-off games?

I Know There's Gonna Be (Good Times)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Berry  
Date:   Sun 14 Nov 22:32

Two one off games.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 14 Nov 23:53

Wouldn`t fancy our chances of going to Russia or Poland and getting a result. Even Sweden and Switzerland away would be very difficult. Even at home against those nations I think we`d have a hard time.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 15 Nov 00:58

We`re gonna need our `A` game and some. Our next three games, v Denmark, and the two knockouts (assuming we make it past the first one) are gonna be at the sorta level we had at the Euro finals. Can only do our best and the main thing is to keep improving. Games like these are what we need to do that. If we play as well as we did against England, we`ve got a chance.

Post Edited (Mon 15 Nov 01:00)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Wed 17 Nov 06:48

So we now know the 12 European countries who will contest the WC play offs:-

Seeded nations: Unseeded nations:
Portugal Turkey
Scotland Poland
Italy North Macedonia
Russia Ukraine
Sweden Austria
Wales Czech Republic

Scotland will play an unseeded nation at Hampden in a one off semi-final. The 6 semi-final winners will then face each other in another one-off game to decide the 3 additional European qualifiers. The draw takes place on 26th November.

The luck of the draw could see a seeded nation awarded 2 home draws. That would give Scotland a fighting chance but there are some tough looking opponents in there. Northern Ireland showed a similar spirit and commitment to Scotland in their last game v Italy. They might have won with a bit more composure in front of goal and demonstrated the importance of a noisy, passionate home crowd.

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: MDCCCLXXXV  
Date:   Wed 17 Nov 11:03

Bring it on!!!

Seeded or unseeded , Only three I Want to avoid over the next 2 games are, Italy, Portugal and Wales. On our day we can give anyone a game.
I can't believe Italy didn't qualify in first from group C , the team we witnessed winning the Euros should have skooshed the group.
Portugal and Wales each have A special player and we are all aware that Ronaldo or Bale can turn a game in a heartbeat.

Stevie Clarke has given Scotland its pride Back as well as an almighty belief that EVERY time we enter the park we have 11 players that are going to give everything they have reach their goal.
Kris Boyd hit it on the nail on the head on Monday night when he stated "There is one thing for sure, of all the teams in the playoffs NONE OF THEM WILL WANT TO PLAY SCOTLAND" 🤔🤔

East End Park is a symbol of all that is DAFC.

Post Edited (Wed 17 Nov 11:04)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Playup_Pompey  
Date:   Wed 17 Nov 11:50

Some updates on the above.

Games confirmed as 24th for Semi and 29th March for finals.

Draw will be constrained as Ukraine and Russia cant meet each other due to political differences (remember that £10,000 for the "political statement" we got vs Israel!). Meaning even if semi`s were scotland vs Ukraine and Russia vs North Macedonia we could not then draw Russia vs North Macedonia in the final...increasing chances of facing the Italians/Portugese should both progress

Post Edited (Wed 17 Nov 14:10)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 17 Nov 13:09

Quote:

Playup_Pompey, Wed 17 Nov 11:50

Some updates on the above.

Games confirmed as 24th for Semi and 29th March for finals.

Draw will be constrained as Ukraine and Russia cant meet each other due to political differences (remember that £10,000 for the "political statement" we got vs Israel!). Meaning even if semi`s were scotland vs Israel and Russia vs North Macedonia we could not then draw Russia vs North Macedonia in the final...increasing chances of facing the Italians/Portugese should both progress

Where did you glean that info, PuP? In a sporting sense, it's a complete nonsense, but it makes sense, politically, even if the two should be separate.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Wed 17 Nov 13:26

Pup`s post totally confuses me. How can we get Israel in the semi-final? Am I missing something?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 17 Nov 13:33

Quote:

wee eck, Wed 17 Nov 13:26

Pup`s post totally confuses me. How can we get Israel in the semi-final? Am I missing something?

I think he meant Scotland v Ukraine, eck. I'll bet he wasn't top of the class in Geography. 😃

[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 17 Nov 13:39

Quote:

MDCCCLXXXV, Wed 17 Nov 11:03

Bring it on!!!

Seeded or unseeded , Only three I Want to avoid over the next 2 games are, Italy, Portugal and Wales. On our day we can give anyone a game.
I can't believe Italy didn't qualify in first from group C , the team we witnessed winning the Euros should have skooshed the group.
Portugal and Wales each have A special player and we are all aware that Ronaldo or Bale can turn a game in a heartbeat.

Stevie Clarke has given Scotland its pride Back as well as an almighty belief that EVERY time we enter the park we have 11 players that are going to give everything they have reach their goal.
Kris Boyd hit it on the nail on the head on Monday night when he stated "There is one thing for sure, of all the teams in the playoffs NONE OF THEM WILL WANT TO PLAY SCOTLAND" 🤔🤔

N. Ireland were excellent v Italy. Not much possession but played out of their skins with noisy backing from a noisy home support. They could and perhaps should have won it with a great chance near the end. Italy bore no resemblance to the team which won the Euros 4 months ago.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Playup_Pompey  
Date:   Wed 17 Nov 14:17

"wee eck, Wed 17 Nov 13:26

I think he meant Scotland v Ukraine, eck. I`ll bet he wasn`t top of the class in Geography. 😃"

Cheers GG and sorry wee eck- amended now. Indeed israel on the mind for the political statement piece but meant us vs Ukraine could not then face Russia vs North Macedonia

Geography?? Guess where i spent 2 night last week en route to Moldova (DOH!!)

Prohibited clashes: For political reasons, matches between following pairs of teams were considered prohibited clashes, unable to be drawn into the same group: Kosovo / Bosnia and Herzegovina, Kosovo / Serbia, Kosovo / Russia, Russia / Ukraine. (Armenia / Azerbaijan and Gibraltar / Spain were also identified as prohibited clashes, but the teams in the former pair were in the same pot for the draw, while the teams in the latter pair were restricted to different-sized groups based on draw pots and conditions.),

Could be a Home game Thursday then need to get a russian visa in 3 days before the final the following tuesday. Great fun!!

[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net