DAFC.net
Home 01 December 2021 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Norrie
Topic Originator: Alan  
Date:   Mon 15 Nov 06:38

Question for older Pars fans with a better memory than me.

Around 30 years ago I seem to recall Norrie going out on loan to Ayr United. Does anyone remember the cirmstances surrounding the loan move - was it a loss of form, or was he loaned out to recover from injury, and how long was he out on loan for?

Also, were we probably in the Premier League at the time, with Ayr in the 1st Division. If so our paths wouldn`t cross, but just can`t remember.

Anyone able to shed some light on this.

[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Norrie
Topic Originator: FA1968  
Date:   Mon 15 Nov 07:24

He was returning from an ankle injury, can`t remember the divisions we were in but would presume they were in a lower one.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Mon 15 Nov 07:56

Only played twice according to the internet. It was the season after David Murray tried to buy Ayr Utd. I never knew about that.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Aylesbury_Par  
Date:   Mon 15 Nov 08:24

I am sure it was when Jocky Scott was in charge, I dont think he was a big fan of Norrie! Also seem to recall him getting played out of position if Scott did select him, shades of Grant and Dom Thomas.

Even a Norrie returning to fitness would have been an asset to that struggling team.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: livipar2  
Date:   Mon 15 Nov 08:38

Pretty sure it was season 88/89 and Leish sent him on loan as he came back from a broken ankle. If my memory serves me right he was recalled for a crucial 2-0 win at Airdrie and he went on to play every game in the run in.

Mon the Pars!!!!!!!!!!!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parsmad68  
Date:   Mon 15 Nov 08:41

I thought he played 6 times for United, or maybe he was there for 6 and played 2? It was when he was recovering from injury but also there was a loss of form if I remember correctly and this was to get the sharpness back.
When we stepped through the leagues I was always surprised how he could pick up the pace. It seemed he would get faster as he got older.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: da_no_1  
Date:   Mon 15 Nov 09:07

"I am sure it was when Jocky Scott was in charge, I dont think he was a big fan of Norrie! Also seem to recall him getting played out of position if Scott did select him, shades of Grant and Dom Thomas."

Not this.

"Pretty sure it was season 88/89 and Leish sent him on loan as he came back from a broken ankle. If my memory serves me right he was recalled for a crucial 2-0 win at Airdrie and he went on to play every game in the run in."

This. I was at that Airdrie game at Broomfield, he was OUTSTANDING

"Some days will stay a 1000 years, some pass like the flash of a spark"
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Wotsit  
Date:   Mon 15 Nov 09:22

Definitely 88/89. Bobby Smith was club captain that season so he collected the 1st Division trophy. Ayr were also in the 1st Division that season.

"Who you are and what you feel comes not just from inside you, but from where you are in the power structure"
[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: Alan  
Date:   Mon 15 Nov 09:49

That`s interesting Wotsit. Didn`t realise that we were both in the same league that season. Take it there must have been a clause in the loan deal which wouldn`t allow him to play against us. Followed the Pars home and away around that time but can`t recall Norrie breaking his ankle. Just shows how the passage of time affects the memory

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: MDCCCLXXXV  
Date:   Mon 15 Nov 10:15

According to Wikipedia it was 89, played twice , returned and scored against Airdrie

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norrie_McCathie

East End Park is a symbol of all that is DAFC.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: sonofpetrie  
Date:   Mon 15 Nov 16:48

Quote:

MDCCCLXXXV, Mon 15 Nov 10:15

According to Wikipedia it was 89, played twice , returned and scored against Airdrie

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norrie_McCathie

Remember that day well. Chants of Norrie's back rang out when he scored a spectacular goal (from about 4" out if I recall correctly).

"The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary"
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 15 Nov 17:09

Hard to believe the big man would have been 60 this year

https://youtu.be/Bh-01rarR3s

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Mon 15 Nov 18:13

Enjoyed that 1885 wi a wee tear

We are forever shaped by the Children we once were
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 15 Nov 18:23

Same here Buspasspar , I was away as soon as I heard his song

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: dave67  
Date:   Mon 15 Nov 22:07

I`m sure it was a broken leg Norrie had

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: sonofpetrie  
Date:   Tue 16 Nov 09:12

Quote:

dave67, Mon 15 Nov 22:07

I`m sure it was a broken leg Norrie had

It was his ankle. His shin guard slipped down lower than it would have been and stopped an almost certain broken leg. Can't remember where I read that.

"The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary"
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net