DAFC.net
Home 01 December 2021 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 16 pts off top. Title charge anyone??
Topic Originator: dpard  
Date:   Sun 21 Nov 06:30

Enough of this avoid relegation stuff.
I reckon by the time we get to Raith on Jan 2nd we will only be 11/12 pts off top spot.
With half a season to go, it's on.
C.O.Y.P

(Am I getting carried away 🙈)

The flame still burns
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: 16 pts off top. Title charge anyone??
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Sun 21 Nov 07:47

Quote:

dpard, Sun 21 Nov 06:30

Enough of this avoid relegation stuff.
I reckon by the time we get to Raith on Jan 2nd we will only be 11/12 pts off top spot.
With half a season to go, it's on.
C.O.Y.P

(Am I getting carried away 🙈)


Aye, it's a bit early in the morning to be getting carried away, but maybe you've been up all night celebrating our two wins in a row... 😃

It's a helluva gap to make up, we'd have to go on an amazing run and even then, it might not be enough to secure 4th spot. Why? Well, the problem is that there are 5 teams vying for the promotion spots, so at least 2 of them would have to go on a poor run for the Pars to have any chance. One of them dropping out (probably part time Arbroath) is realistic, two is highly unlikely but hope springs eternal. The Pars can only look after their own games, try and win as many points as they can and not look too far ahead.

What is so refreshing is that an optimistic post like this was unthinkable just a few weeks ago. If you look back, you'll see many posters had us in a relegation battle and some even had us down as certainties to go down. Now we're looking up the table, even though we're still in the mix. After our last two results, I'm willing to bet the squad have a similarly positive mindset.



Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: 16 pts off top. Title charge anyone??
Topic Originator: RossF  
Date:   Sun 21 Nov 08:06

I seriously hope the `what the hell were you thinking` question is asked on Wednesday at the supporters meeting regarding Peter Grant. If Yogi was brought in at the start of the season we would be top of the league - I`m have no doubt of that. The fans deserve an explanation as to why Grant ended up anywhere near our club and why we approached him, which makes it even more ridiculous.

As soon as Yogi came in it gave me such a confidence boost. I wouldn`t even worry about relegation now. We`ve got a lot of catching to do but I`m adamant we`ll just make the playoffs. That looked like a different team yesterday. We can still improve, as we gifted Ayr a few chances but we completely dominated them.

[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: 16 pts off top. Title charge anyone??
Topic Originator: NikNakPar  
Date:   Sun 21 Nov 08:46

We have a tough run of fixtures leading up to the Raith game. I'll hold of on getting carried away until I see where we are in January.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: 16 pts off top. Title charge anyone??
Topic Originator: yorkiepar  
Date:   Sun 21 Nov 09:09

RossF, min, why don’t we give it a rest and look forward to the rest of the season with positivity instead of seeking scapegoats.
Yes, the PG appointment was, with hindsight, a mistake. And I bet you that Ross McArthur would agree if you were able to have that sort of conversation with him. But from all the evidence available RM has always tried to act in the best interests of the club and has contributed more than any of us could possibly realise.
Maybe RM was solely responsible for appointing PG.
Maybe PG’s appointment was a Board decision.
Maybe the German investors were the main shakers / movers.
Who knows? Who cares?
At least they now appear to have moved things in the right direction, though let’s be wary about predicting “a bright future” after just two games under Yogi’s stewardship.
At least we have taken action early enough in the season to retrieve something: what about, say, Aberdeen, where the Steven Glass ship sees to be steaming full ahead towards an iceberg? Or Man U? Or one of many other examples.
The Supporters’ Meeting is surely one for learning about future plans for the Club and not for recriminations and mud-slinging.

[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: 16 pts off top. Title charge anyone??
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Sun 21 Nov 09:14

I think we could make a bit of a go of it but this league is tighter than Fifer 😉
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: 16 pts off top. Title charge anyone??
Topic Originator: Raymie the Legend  
Date:   Sun 21 Nov 09:16

Quote:

yorkiepar, Sun 21 Nov 09:09

RossF, min, why don’t we give it a rest and look forward to the rest of the season with positivity instead of seeking scapegoats.
Yes, the PG appointment was, with hindsight, a mistake. And I bet you that Ross McArthur would agree if you were able to have that sort of conversation with him. But from all the evidence available RM has always tried to act in the best interests of the club and has contributed more than any of us could possibly realise.
Maybe RM was solely responsible for appointing PG.
Maybe PG’s appointment was a Board decision.
Maybe the German investors were the main shakers / movers.
Who knows? Who cares?
At least they now appear to have moved things in the right direction, though let’s be wary about predicting “a bright future” after just two games under Yogi’s stewardship.
At least we have taken action early enough in the season to retrieve something: what about, say, Aberdeen, where the Steven Glass ship sees to be steaming full ahead towards an iceberg? Or Man U? Or one of many other examples.
The Supporters’ Meeting is surely one for learning about future plans for the Club and not for recriminations and mud-slinging.


Agree with all of that




It's bloody tough being a legend
Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: 16 pts off top. Title charge anyone??
Topic Originator: ipswichpar  
Date:   Sun 21 Nov 09:30

Surely too much to pick up in the time that's left, but hopefully we will be in a much healthier position after the next 5 league games.

Fingers crossed for a lot of draws when those above us are playing each other.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
-
 Re: 16 pts off top. Title charge anyone??
Topic Originator: PARrot  
Date:   Sun 21 Nov 09:33

Already said several times that we can make the playoffs. The title is an extra stretch because we need the top 2 to take points from 3rd and 4th to help us get there.

Only 14 away from the playoffs.
Win the 2 head to heads makes it 8 points adrift with plenty games to play. A couple of draws and its game on, but we need to continue winning.

It defo is possible.

[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: 16 pts off top. Title charge anyone??
Topic Originator: king lad  
Date:   Sun 21 Nov 10:03

It's a huge gap, but if the team can go on a winning run all it takes is for a couple of the top half teams to start dropping points for that difference to close. Main priority for now though is distancing ourselves from the bottom pack and then going from there. Just glad to finally have some signs of positivity after the disastrous start.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: 16 pts off top. Title charge anyone??
Topic Originator: da_no_1  
Date:   Sun 21 Nov 10:29

I can't see us challenging for the title. Let's get well clear of relegation and get all our pieces in place for a proper title push next season.

Yogis at the wheel

"Some days will stay a 1000 years, some pass like the flash of a spark"
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: 16 pts off top. Title charge anyone??
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Sun 21 Nov 10:45

Quote:

RossF, Sun 21 Nov 08:06

I seriously hope the `what the hell were you thinking` question is asked on Wednesday at the supporters meeting regarding Peter Grant. If Yogi was brought in at the start of the season we would be top of the league - I`m have no doubt of that. The fans deserve an explanation as to why Grant ended up anywhere near our club and why we approached him, which makes it even more ridiculous.

As soon as Yogi came in it gave me such a confidence boost. I wouldn`t even worry about relegation now. We`ve got a lot of catching to do but I`m adamant we`ll just make the playoffs. That looked like a different team yesterday. We can still improve, as we gifted Ayr a few chances but we completely dominated them.


What's done is done, Ross. We can't change the past, but if we're smart, we can learn from it. Our BoD consists of intelligent people. They believed Grant was the man to take us forward. It turns out he wasn't. That doesn't make them stupid. If you had reservations about him beforehand, that doesn't make you smarter - only that your hunch was right.

There were plenty of posters on here who said no way did they want Yogi. Now, after ONE game in charge and a win over fellow strugglers, Ayr, they've been won over. You even believe we'd now be top, on the flimsiest of evidence. I certainly think we could have been in the top half but there's no way of knowing how things would have panned out. He'd have brought in different players for a start. Different training regime. Different tactics etc.

Let's look forward instead of back, consolidate our place in the Championship and allow Yogi to build a squad which will pit in a strong promotion challenge next season.



Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: 16 pts off top. Title charge anyone??
Topic Originator: DA-go Par Adonis  
Date:   Sun 21 Nov 10:58

We could win every game this season and still not win the title.

What we need to do initially is get in no-man`s-land, several points clear of 9th place and probably, as a by-product, well ahead of the bottom 4 and isolated in 6th.

Then we`d be in a position to re-assess. If there was no chance of relegation, we would be able to go all out to turn draws into wins by risking it at the end of games to get a winner - in the knowledge that the reverse might well happen and the fans would have to understand that.

You can`t catch 5 teams who are all miles ahead of you, but you can possibly reel in two of them and sneak in to 4th. If we`re winning, the top 5 can`t all win every week.

The next 3 games will be a massive indicator though. Can we take out Thistle in the cup and can we begin to distance ourselves by beating both Hamilton and QoS?



Post Edited (Sun 21 Nov 11:10)
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: 16 pts off top. Title charge anyone??
Topic Originator: londonparsfan  
Date:   Sun 21 Nov 11:06

Quote:

RossF, Sun 21 Nov 08:06

I seriously hope the `what the hell were you thinking` question is asked on Wednesday at the supporters meeting regarding Peter Grant. If Yogi was brought in at the start of the season we would be top of the league - I`m have no doubt of that. The fans deserve an explanation as to why Grant ended up anywhere near our club and why we approached him, which makes it even more ridiculous.

As soon as Yogi came in it gave me such a confidence boost. I wouldn`t even worry about relegation now. We`ve got a lot of catching to do but I`m adamant we`ll just make the playoffs. That looked like a different team yesterday. We can still improve, as we gifted Ayr a few chances but we completely dominated them.


They've explained the logic behind the appointment on several occasions. Personally it wouldn't have been my choice and it's obviously not been a successful move but I don't know what asking a question that's already been answered is going to achieve? Especially as they have sacked PG and appointed a manager that's got off to a very decent start.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: 16 pts off top. Title charge anyone??
Topic Originator: MDCCCLXXXV  
Date:   Sun 21 Nov 11:10

Quote:

dpard, Sun 21 Nov 06:30

Enough of this avoid relegation stuff.
I reckon by the time we get to Raith on Jan 2nd we will only be 11/12 pts off top spot.
With half a season to go, it's on.
C.O.Y.P

(Am I getting carried away 🙈)


Am in
C⚽️Y🏁

East End Park is a symbol of all that is DAFC.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: 16 pts off top. Title charge anyone??
Topic Originator: theparsman1885  
Date:   Sun 21 Nov 11:47

Let’s just calm down. Let the manager get properly into the place and make his changes. It’s an upturn in form - better. Let’s just now focus on getting in to 5th and then let’s see.

[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: 16 pts off top. Title charge anyone??
Topic Originator: PARrot  
Date:   Sun 21 Nov 13:34

Quote:

theparsman1885, Sun 21 Nov 11:47

Let’s just calm down. Let the manager get properly into the place and make his changes. It’s an upturn in form - better. Let’s just now focus on getting in to 5th and then let’s see.


Ok Ive finally stopped laughing ya daft beggar.

5th is on the same points as 4th.

[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: 16 pts off top. Title charge anyone??
Topic Originator: RossF  
Date:   Sun 21 Nov 14:35

Hardly mud slinging and it`s not bringing anything negative to the table. I`m very optimistic towards our future now (amazing what a new manager can do, as a few weeks ago I was doom and gloom). Just a question that I would be interested in hearing the answer to as it derailed our big chance of challenging. I`m not coming out with anything that`s incorrect and watching a team lose 4-1 even though they played decent football doesn`t seem like a decent reason for employing someone. All I`m saying is it would be nice to hear an expanded reason for this at the supporters meeting. Nothing wrong with that.

On the other hand, the board deserve praise for making a decent appointment in Hughes. It`s just a shame they didn`t see that at the start of the season but I still feel very excited about where we go from here now. I also hope we can get our youth team into the conference leagues like I`ve noticed multiple teams around about us have done.

GG fair enough on your point. I was surprised at the disappointment of some fans when we brought in Yogi but perhaps his time at Raith had a few fans worrying, which is fair enough. I`m sure he has learned from that though.



Post Edited (Sun 21 Nov 14:39)
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: 16 pts off top. Title charge anyone??
Topic Originator: PARrot  
Date:   Sun 21 Nov 14:58

I must be one of the few folk who was 100% behind what he did at Raith. The players got them relegated, not Yogi. The dressing room was lost long before he finally gave them it in public.

....and no it isnt a good idea to seek an expanded version of what we have already been told. Very bad idea. Let it go and move on.

[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: 16 pts off top. Title charge anyone??
Topic Originator: back oh the net  
Date:   Sun 21 Nov 15:17

Quote:

GG Riva, Sun 21 Nov 07:47

Quote:

dpard, Sun 21 Nov 06:30

Enough of this avoid relegation stuff.
I reckon by the time we get to Raith on Jan 2nd we will only be 11/12 pts off top spot.
With half a season to go, it's on.
C.O.Y.P

(Am I getting carried away 🙈)


Aye, it's a bit early in the morning to be getting carried away, but maybe you've been up all night celebrating our two wins in a row... 😃

It's a helluva gap to make up, we'd have to go on an amazing run and even then, it might not be enough to secure 4th spot. Why? Well, the problem is that there are 5 teams vying for the promotion spots, so at least 2 of them would have to go on a poor run for the Pars to have any chance. One of them dropping out (probably part time Arbroath) is realistic, two is highly unlikely but hope springs eternal. The Pars can only look after their own games, try and win as many points as they can and not look too far ahead.

What is so refreshing is that an optimistic post like this was unthinkable just a few weeks ago. If you look back, you'll see many posters had us in a relegation battle and some even had us down as certainties to go down. Now we're looking up the table, even though we're still in the mix. After our last two results, I'm willing to bet the squad have a similarly positive mindset.


Aye but remember GG yogis driving all aboard the yogi express next stop top oh the league

Come on ye pars ⚽️
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: 16 pts off top. Title charge anyone??
Topic Originator: Par  
Date:   Sun 21 Nov 15:19

Keep winning and lets see what happens, a long way to go and the closer we get to the top 5 a couple of teams may get nervous and we claim a play off spot.



Post Edited (Sun 21 Nov 15:19)
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: 16 pts off top. Title charge anyone??
Topic Originator: dpard  
Date:   Sun 21 Nov 15:40

Okay, maybe a title charge is fanciful but stranger things have happened.
Personally I don't see top 4 as being as hard a task as some others.
We have 2 games to play against both Partick and Arbroath, win both of them and the gap is only 8 pts.
8 pts isn't unsurmountable by any stretch.
Realistically it might be about survival and finishing 6th but it's good to have a bit optimism for the 1st time this season.

The flame still burns
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: 16 pts off top. Title charge anyone??
Topic Originator: RossF  
Date:   Sun 21 Nov 16:12

I`d completely agree with that Parrot. The players relegated them, not Yogi.

Perhaps I`m just curious. At least we can get excited again.



Post Edited (Mon 22 Nov 14:31)
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: 16 pts off top. Title charge anyone??
Topic Originator: PARrot  
Date:   Sun 21 Nov 16:14

Quote:

dpard, Sun 21 Nov 15:40

Okay, maybe a title charge is fanciful but stranger things have happened.
Personally I don't see top 4 as being as hard a task as some others.
We have 2 games to play against both Partick and Arbroath, win both of them and the gap is only 8 pts.
8 pts isn't unsurmountable by any stretch.
Realistically it might be about survival and finishing 6th but it's good to have a bit optimism for the 1st time this season.


Im gonny sue you for plagiarism.

[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: 16 pts off top. Title charge anyone??
Topic Originator: MDCCCLXXXV  
Date:   Sun 21 Nov 16:15

PG signed a squad to win the league..
I expect nothing less

East End Park is a symbol of all that is DAFC.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: 16 pts off top. Title charge anyone??
Topic Originator: dpard  
Date:   Sun 21 Nov 16:31

Quote:

PARrot, Sun 21 Nov 16:14

Quote:

dpard, Sun 21 Nov 15:40

Okay, maybe a title charge is fanciful but stranger things have happened.
Personally I don't see top 4 as being as hard a task as some others.
We have 2 games to play against both Partick and Arbroath, win both of them and the gap is only 8 pts.
8 pts isn't unsurmountable by any stretch.
Realistically it might be about survival and finishing 6th but it's good to have a bit optimism for the 1st time this season.


Im gonny sue you for plagiarism.


Settle out of court wi a bag of veg, fruit and seed? 😁👍

The flame still burns
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: 16 pts off top. Title charge anyone??
Topic Originator: PARrot  
Date:   Sun 21 Nov 16:32

Quote:

dpard, Sun 21 Nov 16:31

Quote:

PARrot, Sun 21 Nov 16:14

Quote:

dpard, Sun 21 Nov 15:40

Okay, maybe a title charge is fanciful but stranger things have happened.
Personally I don't see top 4 as being as hard a task as some others.
We have 2 games to play against both Partick and Arbroath, win both of them and the gap is only 8 pts.
8 pts isn't unsurmountable by any stretch.
Realistically it might be about survival and finishing 6th but it's good to have a bit optimism for the 1st time this season.


Im gonny sue you for plagiarism.


Settle out of court wi a bag of veg, fruit and seed? 😁👍


Consider it settled if you add a cuttlefish

[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: 16 pts off top. Title charge anyone??
Topic Originator: USMac  
Date:   Mon 22 Nov 02:29

I wouldn`t worry about the table. Just let the players go express themselves, enjoy their soccer and try to please the fans. It`s still one game at a time. Let`s see how they do and then we can assess where things stand when we get towards the business end of the season. But confidence and optimism breeds success.

With that mindset, none of the top five in the league are going to want to play the Pars right now.

[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: 16 pts off top. Title charge anyone??
Topic Originator: PARrot  
Date:   Mon 22 Nov 09:27

Quote:

USMac, Mon 22 Nov 02:29

I wouldn`t worry about the table. Just let the players go express themselves, enjoy their soccer and try to please the fans. It`s still one game at a time. Let`s see how they do and then we can assess where things stand when we get towards the business end of the season. But confidence and optimism breeds success.

With that mindset, none of the top five in the league are going to want to play the Pars right now.


Gonny no call it soccer?
Jist, gonny no?!

[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: 16 pts off top. Title charge anyone??
Topic Originator: red-star-par  
Date:   Mon 22 Nov 13:42

Quote:

PARrot, Mon 22 Nov 09:27

Quote:

USMac, Mon 22 Nov 02:29

I wouldn`t worry about the table. Just let the players go express themselves, enjoy their soccer and try to please the fans. It`s still one game at a time. Let`s see how they do and then we can assess where things stand when we get towards the business end of the season. But confidence and optimism breeds success.

With that mindset, none of the top five in the league are going to want to play the Pars right now.


Gonny no call it soccer?
Jist, gonny no?!


I quite like the use of the word soccer. A lot of people assume it's an American word but it comes from the very origins of the game in the 1860s, where Rugger and Soccer were used as slang by players to differentiate between Rugby Football and Association Football
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: 16 pts off top. Title charge anyone??
Topic Originator: Grant  
Date:   Mon 22 Nov 13:58

In seriousness we'd need two teams to drop off for us to get to the playoffs, with how poor the bottom four sides are likely to be that'll be difficult, almost impossible. I don't think you can put too much faith in any of them taking much points off the top of the table...

However!

Arbroath as a part time side we can only hope will falter, losing Nouble in January will be a drama, however this is a side designed to grind out points, they had top four form in the final part of last season...

Inverness are going to lose there best player (Gardyne), could that unsettle them? Hopefully. They're the most likely side to fall away IMO.

Partick, Raith and Killie aren't going anywhere, all with good managers, strong squads and Partick and Killie have money in the bank for a January strengthen.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: 16 pts off top. Title charge anyone??
Topic Originator: RossF  
Date:   Mon 22 Nov 14:30

What is happening to Gardyne, Grant?

[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: 16 pts off top. Title charge anyone??
Topic Originator: Grant  
Date:   Mon 22 Nov 15:10

Quote:

RossF, Mon 22 Nov 14:30

What is happening to Gardyne, Grant?


Being released after he done the deed with his teammates wife. Came to light after the Raith game which has caused a fair amount of disharmony.

https://twitter.com/Rennieict/status/1461812598060552194?t=Iywg0R_2Nl8_Ln4Oos0PyA&s=19
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: 16 pts off top. Title charge anyone??
Topic Originator: LochgellyAlbert  
Date:   Mon 22 Nov 16:15

Raith loosing their young midfielder Tait in the new year?
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: 16 pts off top. Title charge anyone??
Topic Originator: Jeffery  
Date:   Mon 22 Nov 16:57

Arbroath also losing Joel Nouble (back to livi) who has had rave reviews up there.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: 16 pts off top. Title charge anyone??
Topic Originator: red-star-par  
Date:   Mon 22 Nov 18:09

Gardyne being released? He'd be ideal here. We can maybe tempt him if some of the Pars Team WAGs are half decent
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: 16 pts off top. Title charge anyone??
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Mon 22 Nov 18:16

Quote:

red-star-par, Mon 22 Nov 18:09

Gardyne being released? He'd be ideal here. We can maybe tempt him if some of the Pars Team WAGs are half decent


Ooft! And of course his new team mates would welcome him with open arms.....



Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: 16 pts off top. Title charge anyone??
Topic Originator: Rastapari  
Date:   Mon 22 Nov 19:30

Quote:

GG Riva, Mon 22 Nov 18:16

Quote:

red-star-par, Mon 22 Nov 18:09

Gardyne being released? He'd be ideal here. We can maybe tempt him if some of the Pars Team WAGs are half decent


Ooft! And of course his new team mates would welcome him with open arms.....


As long as their missus do, we're onto a good thing, no?🤣

Carole Baskin fed Rasta to a tiger.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 


Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:
   
 Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net