DAFC.net
Home 14 August 2022 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Cup upsets
Topic Originator: buffy  
Date:   Sat 27 Nov 17:03

Auchinleck Talbot 1-0 Hamilton
Banks o Dee 2-1 East Fife
Clydebank 2-0 Clyde
Cove Rangers 2-2 QoS

”Buffy’s Buns are the finest in Fife”, J. Spence 2019”
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Cup upsets
Topic Originator: cfad  
Date:   Sat 27 Nov 18:49

Hamilton are having a mare since they were relegated
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: NikNakPar  
Date:   Sat 27 Nov 21:13

Hamilton are a terrible team. No idea how they survived as long as they did in the premier.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 27 Nov 21:31

Did they not lose players when they were relegated?
I know Ross Callachan left and he had scored ten goals for them.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Grant  
Date:   Sat 27 Nov 22:04

Partick Thistle 1-0 Dunfermline

I'm still very upset by it.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Connor560  
Date:   Sun 28 Nov 00:56

Cove vs Queens isn't much of an upset, especially up there

C'mon Ye Pars!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parsfan97  
Date:   Sun 28 Nov 01:20

Hamilton getting beat isn’t an upset, actually expected them to get beat today

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: JamesAndrew74  
Date:   Sun 28 Nov 09:11

It is exactly what a cup upset is. Championship club recently relegated from PL playing a junior side. You may have thought they’d win but to say it’s not an upset is pretty stupid
[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: saltonsgonagetu  
Date:   Sun 28 Nov 10:10

Clydebank 2 Clyde 0 , definitely a cup upset.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: dafc-chris1  
Date:   Sun 28 Nov 14:22

Talbot winning was predictable they would have a good chance against any team in the Championship
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: red-star-par  
Date:   Sun 28 Nov 14:24

I reckon we will see another one on Monday, Darvel v Brechin City. Darvel have assembled a decent squad packed full of SPFL experience.
They have former Pars, Craig Reid, Ryan Thomson and Andy Stirling in their ranks as well as guys like Ian McShane, Ross Caldwell, David Galt, Jordan Kilpatrick. I'm expecting a win for the Ayrshire men.
Auchinleck were the Real Madrid of the juniors, I expected them to win on Saturday against Hamilton and at odds of 14/5, backing them was a no brainer.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: eastendalloapar  
Date:   Sun 28 Nov 14:37

I hoped that Sauchie would have got the draw.

matt forsyth
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Westies squint kicks  
Date:   Sun 28 Nov 14:58

fyi, the bookies can`t split Bechin and Darvel in the betting

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: AlterPar  
Date:   Sun 28 Nov 15:02

Darvel are faring surprisingly poor given the squad they’ve assembled at that level
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Bamba-Daft  
Date:   Sun 28 Nov 16:35

Quote:

red-star-par, Sun 28 Nov 14:24

I reckon we will see another one on Monday, Darvel v Brechin City. Darvel have assembled a decent squad packed full of SPFL experience.
They have former Pars, Craig Reid, Ryan Thomson and Andy Stirling in their ranks as well as guys like Ian McShane, Ross Caldwell, David Galt, Jordan Kilpatrick. I'm expecting a win for the Ayrshire men.
Auchinleck were the Real Madrid of the juniors, I expected them to win on Saturday against Hamilton and at odds of 14/5, backing them was a no brainer.

Mcbookie had originally priced them at 12/1!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Levrad  
Date:   Mon 29 Nov 08:29

Looking forward to this one. Brechin scoring for fun but Darvel have got over their blip a few weeks into the season. I grew up watching Darvel (probably tell from my user name). They have also managed to do what Hamilton failed to, beat Talbot in Auchinleck.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: AJ27  
Date:   Mon 29 Nov 10:03

If Darvel manage to beat a Highland League side I’m not sure it would be classed as a huge upset.

Andy J
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: kelty_par  
Date:   Mon 29 Nov 10:44

Aye, West of Scotland League and Highland League will be fairly evenly matched in a normal year but the Highland League teams have struggled in the Cup this year. JamesAndrew74 is officially on a warning for calling Talbot a Junior side... ;)

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parsmad68  
Date:   Mon 29 Nov 11:11

Quote:

saltonsgonagetu, Sun 28 Nov 10:10

Clydebank 2 Clyde 0 , definitely a cup upset.

Enjoyed seeing the Clydebank football strip again in the press.

On the Junior Circuit Pollok have requested to be licensed by the SFA meaning they will join the ranks for Scottish Cup next year. Heavily investing in their stadium with I presume an eye on leaving the Junior leagues. So what then of clubs like Auchinleck, Cumnock, Clydebank and others.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Fethiyespar  
Date:   Mon 29 Nov 11:41

The biggest cup upset I have ever witnessed was in January 1968, Celtic, European Cup holders v Dunfermline Athletic, 0-2.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DA-go Par Adonis  
Date:   Mon 29 Nov 11:47

Unless I`m mistaken, Pollok are 2nd in the West of Scotland League, just behind Auchinleck. Clydebank and Cumnock are also in there - and the winner of the league has the chance to play-off for a spot in the Lowland League i.e. I think their all now in the senior "pyramid".

Post Edited (Mon 29 Nov 12:35)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DA-go Par Adonis  
Date:   Mon 29 Nov 11:49

"The biggest cup upset I have ever witnessed was in January 1968, Celtic, European Cup holders v Dunfermline Athletic, 0-2."

Surely the best but about that was that we were underdogs, but it wasn`t any sort of cup shock? We had been up there competing with the best in Scotland and in Europe for half a dozen years and were fancied to give anyone a game.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I love it when we go sell Kevin Nisbet,
He's gonna pay for everyone this season.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parsmad68  
Date:   Mon 29 Nov 12:23

Quote:

DA-go Par Adonis, Mon 29 Nov 11:47

Unless I`m mistaken, Pollok are 2nd in the West of Scotland League, just behind Auchinleck. Clydebank and Cumnock are also in their - and the winner of the league has the chance to play-off for a spot in the Lowland League i.e. I think their all now in the senior "pyramid".

Correct DA.
However there are certain criteria to be met before the SFA allow access or at least they have to be seen to working towards them. Pollok don’t have this currently. I believe this means floodlights, disabled access, toilets etc. however I am not 100% sure of the ruling. I am thinking what happens to the Junior Leagues if enough critical mass of the “big boys” leave as these are much bigger clubs than people realise in terms of potential gate receipts.
The regular attendance at Pollok over the season may hover around or just under the 1k mark, so in essence a larger support than many lower league clubs.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Mon 29 Nov 14:26

"The biggest cup upset I have ever witnessed was in January 1968, Celtic, European Cup holders v Dunfermline Athletic, 0-2."

As above, not really all that "big" - we were on a purple patch then, having beaten Rovers 6-0, then Aberdeen 4-2 (if memory serves) - the best display I`ve ever seen from a Pars side in 60 odd years.

Post Edited (Mon 29 Nov 14:27)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: twin par  
Date:   Mon 29 Nov 19:16

Yes,remember that game.Jim,open the gate,Gillespie, had a blinder !😅 Freezing cold day.(rovers game).

Post Edited (Mon 29 Nov 21:18)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 29 Nov 20:22

Brechin 0-1 Darvel

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Mon 29 Nov 20:33

Did the commentator at Brechin say that Stephen Simmons (my least favourite Pars` player ever) was City manager Andy Kirk`s assistant?

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: kelty_par  
Date:   Mon 29 Nov 20:39

"I am thinking what happens to the Junior Leagues if enough critical mass of the “big boys” leave as these are much bigger clubs than people realise in terms of potential gate receipts."

They have done already. Unless the North Juniors are still waiting on their Highland League play off being sorted, then all the former Junior clubs are now senior. Talbot, Pollok, Clydebank etc will all be hoping to "do a Kelty". The Lowland League in a few years will be a fascinating mix of former SPFL clubs like the Shire and Berwick, Lowland League big guns like Lothian Thistle Hutchinson Vale and East Kilbride, ex East Juniors like Linlithgow Rose and Bonnyrigg and ex West Juniors like Talbot and Pollok. They just need to add more promotion/relegation and/or play-off places to speed up the movement and let clubs find their own level.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Paralex  
Date:   Mon 29 Nov 20:47

I lived in Glasgow in 1968, at the time when we beat Celtic 2-0, as I have done ever since. No shock at all. We were big in Scottish and European football at the time. Sadly my life was too busy with so many other things that year, to be at the game, or maybe I didn`t have two shekels to rub together to get a ticket. But 1968, it was probably pay at the gate. But the Pars had an aura about them at the time and no surprise we beat Hearts in the final.

Post Edited (Mon 29 Nov 20:49)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 29 Nov 20:56

Quote:

wee eck, Mon 29 Nov 20:33

Did the commentator at Brechin say that Stephen Simmons (my least favourite Pars` player ever) was City manager Andy Kirk`s assistant?

He did indeed, Wee Eck

Brechin 1-1 Darvel

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Mon 29 Nov 20:59

Good to see David Cox scoring. That guy`s been through so much in his football career.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: par-ticular  
Date:   Mon 29 Nov 21:10

Remember being in Woolworths up the town and it was announced over the tannoy in the shop - brilliant
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 29 Nov 21:50

FT 1-1
It was a good wee cup tie to watch

Some tasty fixtures:

Banks o Dee v Rovers
Kelty / Montrose v St Johnstone
Dumbarton v Dundee
Aberdeen v Edinburgh City
Rangers v Stirling Albion
Hibernian v Cove Rangers / QoS
Partick Thistle v Airdrie
Auchinleck Talbot v Hearts
Alloa v Celtic
Arbroath v Brechin City/Darvel

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 29 Nov 22:08

I'm getting a bit sick of tuning into the cup draws every year, and seeing sides like East Kilbride, Alloa, Auchinleck, Bank o Dee still being in the competition, while we have already been pumped out by a Championship rival
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: da_no_1  
Date:   Mon 29 Nov 23:12

Another tricky home tie for the newest club in Scotland

"Some days will stay a 1000 years, some pass like the flash of a spark"
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 29 Nov 23:55

Quote:

da_no_1, Mon 29 Nov 23:12

Remember when we played them in the cup back in 2018, it was the twelfth game in a row they had been drawn as the home team. No idea what the odds of that are but it screams of a fix. It would actually be very interesting to see the percentage of home v away fixtures all the teams in Scotland get drawn in. If you were to look at it over a long enough period, every team should really be around 50/50, but it feels like Celtic and The rangers are very often the home side
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: nick_dafc1  
Date:   Tue 30 Nov 09:34

Quote:

red-star-par, Mon 29 Nov 23:55

Quote:

Remember when we played them in the cup back in 2018, it was the twelfth game in a row they had been drawn as the home team. No idea what the odds of that are but it screams of a fix. It would actually be very interesting to see the percentage of home v away fixtures all the teams in Scotland get drawn in. If you were to look at it over a long enough period, every team should really be around 50/50, but it feels like Celtic and The rangers are very often the home side

I'm sure Alloa would rather play them at Celtic Park. Stirling Albion will be over the moon with the payday at Ibrox. We even made over £200k from Ibrox in September.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Tue 30 Nov 09:48

Quote:

twin par, Mon 29 Nov 19:16

Yes,remember that game.Jim,open the gate,Gillespie, had a blinder !😅 Freezing cold day.(rovers game).

Post Edited (Mon 29 Nov 21:18)

I don’t think Jim was on the club books at that time - may be wrong of course.

My recollection of the Aberdeen game is Barrie Mitchell turning Martin Buchan inside out in the second half.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: londonparsfan  
Date:   Tue 30 Nov 09:53

Quote:

red-star-par, Mon 29 Nov 23:55

Quote:

4096/1 I think would be the odds if they were all drawn out the hat but if there was seeding playing a part in them getting a game at home then that would reduce the odds. Not likely but certainly not impossible.
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net