DAFC.net
Home 14 August 2022 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 A question for budding referees
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Fri 3 Dec 07:12

Neal Maupay scored with a brilliant overhead kick for Brighton v West Ham this week and was then booked for over celebrating.

I`ve seen similar goals disallowed for dangerous play, when an opponent tries to head the ball clear, which is understandable but frustrating. Had Maupay`s goal been chalked off by VAR, would his yellow card have been rescinded and had it been a second yellow and he`d been sent off, would have been called back on?

I should add that I don`t know the answers to my questions, which is why I`m asking. 😌

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: A question for budding referees
Topic Originator: ipswichpar  
Date:   Fri 3 Dec 07:27

The booking would be for the act of overcelebrating (leaving the field of play and going into to the crowd) so I`m pretty sure it wouldn`t be reversed even if the goal was disallowed.

I`m not sure what would happen in your thought experiment if he stands on David De Gea first.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parfection  
Date:   Fri 3 Dec 07:43

Found this answer elsewhere online : “If a player commits a `goal celebrating` offence (eg. taking the shirt off) the YELLOW CARD REMAINS even if the goal is disallowed (whether or not there is VAR).”

On this basis, were this a second bookable offence, then off he would go - without even the comfort of a goal against his/her name.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 3 Dec 08:19

Quote:

ipswichpar, Fri 3 Dec 07:27

The booking would be for the act of overcelebrating (leaving the field of play and going into to the crowd) so I`m pretty sure it wouldn`t be reversed even if the goal was disallowed.

I`m not sure what would happen in your thought experiment if he stands on David De Gea first.

I think you`re right, but it`s not really fair, is it? If the ref chalks the goal off straight away, then the player doesn`t leave the field to celebrate and he doesn`t get booked.

You`ve lost me by bringing De Gea into a game between Brighton and West Ham - maybe I`m just being a bit thick? 🙁

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 3 Dec 08:41

I`m assuming you didn`t see the Man U Arsenal game last night? There was a debate about something similar....I`ll not ruin it for you!

I would have thought the teacher in you would have been wanting to apply the rules despite any extenuating circumstances! I think the rules and punishment are clear so I think it`s the right thing for the booking (and potential red card) to remain, personally.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 3 Dec 10:01

Quote:

ipswichpar, Fri 3 Dec 08:41

I`m assuming you didn`t see the Man U Arsenal game last night? There was a debate about something similar....I`ll not ruin it for you!

I would have thought the teacher in you would have been wanting to apply the rules despite any extenuating circumstances! I think the rules and punishment are clear so I think it`s the right thing for the booking (and potential red card) to remain, personally.

I`ve seen the Man U - Arsenal highlights now. Your post makes much more sense now. 🙂

Do you have a one-size-fits-all view of teachers? Thankfully, we`re all different. ☺

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 3 Dec 10:08

Definitely treat teachers and medical people in the same regard....some best avoided but most are crackers in their own special way.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parsfan  
Date:   Fri 3 Dec 10:22

In the Scotland game against Israel Dykes got booked in the incident that, after VAR, resulted in the goal being awarded. Was that one rescinded?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The universe is ruled by chance and indifference

[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: pars4life1  
Date:   Fri 3 Dec 10:34

Dykes one was rescinded. Difference being he was booked for dangerous play, which the video showed to be incorrect:

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Jjonjord  
Date:   Fri 3 Dec 14:17

Cristiano Ronaldo scored an injury time winner for Juventus earlier in the season, top off, ran to the corner flag in front of the cameras.

Turns out he was offside, disallowed by VAR and he got booked for a goal that didn`t happen.

https://youtu.be/cSmhJ0hqh24
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 3 Dec 15:17

Quote:

Jjonjord, Fri 3 Dec 14:17

Cristiano Ronaldo scored an injury time winner for Juventus earlier in the season, top off, ran to the corner flag in front of the cameras.

Turns out he was offside, disallowed by VAR and he got booked for a goal that didn`t happen.

https://youtu.be/cSmhJ0hqh24

It`s a double whammy, isn`t it? You`d think chalking off a "goal" would be punishment enough. Of course, the vast majority of players don`t give a monkey`s about a yellow card for overcelebrating if do score an injury time winner.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Fri 3 Dec 15:47

Why do players feel the need to take their shirts off to celebrate scoring a goal, especially now that it reveals they`re all wearing sports bras underneath?

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Wotsit  
Date:   Fri 3 Dec 15:54

Men`s football has has a homoerotic edge in my time watching.

It doesn`t seem that long ago that a kiss on the lips and a pat on the backside was a standard goal celebration.

"Who you are and what you feel comes not just from inside you, but from where you are in the power structure"
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 3 Dec 16:41

Quote:

wee eck, Fri 3 Dec 15:47

Why do players feel the need to take their shirts off to celebrate scoring a goal, especially now that it reveals they`re all wearing sports bras underneath?

🤣 I can`t imagine guys like Willie Cunningham, Jim Kerray or Roy Barry, running around whirling their shirts above their heads, a la Cristiano Ronaldo, but perhaps if they`d had a six pack like he has...... 🤔

There definitely has been an increase in extravagant celebrations in my almost 60 years of watching football. Back in the 60s, most scorers were lucky if they received a slap on the back or a handshake, rather than a mere cursory nod.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Parboiled  
Date:   Fri 3 Dec 16:46

These “celebratory” bookings are entirely avoidable, players know the rules.
The ref probably doesn’t want to be a party pooper but can’t duck out of booking the culprit - he would get an averse mark in his report card!

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: dafc  
Date:   Fri 3 Dec 18:14

Dykes got his card rescinded but i am sure robertson was also booked for protest didn’t.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: 1970par  
Date:   Mon 6 Dec 05:38

All depends on if the ref is baldy or not

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Mon 6 Dec 09:54

Surely the `baldy` theory of referees was exposed as a myth at Hamilton on Saturday?

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: kechal7  
Date:   Mon 6 Dec 10:01

Dykes was never booked v Israel so nothing was rescinded

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Sammy_Must_Die  
Date:   Mon 6 Dec 10:04

Quote:

kechal7, Mon 6 Dec 10:01

Dykes was never booked v Israel so nothing was rescinded

Certain both he and Robertson were booked!

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 6 Dec 12:06

He definitely wasn`t. He was the only person on my bet builder to let me down for £1,500 and I hadn`t seen it rescinded. So I watched it the next morning and he was never shown a card

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: 1970par  
Date:   Mon 6 Dec 18:16

Some refs who are not baldy are bad but all refs who are baldy are bad

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: londonparsfan  
Date:   Mon 6 Dec 21:40

Quote:

kechal7, Mon 6 Dec 12:06

He definitely wasn`t. He was the only person on my bet builder to let me down for £1,500 and I hadn`t seen it rescinded. So I watched it the next morning and he was never shown a card

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/international/steve-clarke-reveals-whether-lyndon-dykes-will-take-scotlands-next-penalty-after-israel-miss-3413889

Definitely was rescinded in the game so your bet would have been settled without a yellow.

Post Edited (Mon 06 Dec 21:41)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: londonparsfan  
Date:   Mon 6 Dec 21:47

In fact..

https://youtu.be/e5KvKh2ummI
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 7 Dec 08:34

The article is wrong. As you can see from the video it`s just Robertson that gets shown a yellow card. At no point does the referee rescind anything

[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net