DAFC.net
Home 06 July 2022 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Weather Warning PP Matches
Topic Originator: DunfyDave  
Date:   Wed 8 Dec 10:08

Last night`s re-arranged match between Elgin v Kelty Hearts (KO 19:45) was called off at 18:20 due to a waterlogged pitch.

The Kelty bus was already en-route and delayed on the A9 due to Storm Barra that was raised to a Yellow Weather Warning status by the Met Office days earlier.

It is unknown how many fans made the six hour round trip.

The financial expense to both clubs and fans making the trip are a mere annoyance to the potential risks to injury or death making such a perilous trip.

Surely now is the time for the SFA to open up debate on a common sense approach to postponing future matches under threat from weather to safeguard traveling teams and supporters?

DunfyDave
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Weather Warning PP Matches
Topic Originator: vasco  
Date:   Wed 8 Dec 10:26

SFA and common sense. Oxymoron.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: buffy  
Date:   Wed 8 Dec 11:57

I don’t agree with compensation to fans as it’s their personal choice to travel to games, and in this case especially when the weather and travel warnings had been in place up to 48hrs before.

The damning part is that part time players have taken time off their jobs to travel that distance. Kelty Hearts manager Kevin Thomson was raging on Twitter last night citing those facts. The fixture should have postponed earlier in the day.

buffysbuns.wordpress.com
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 8 Dec 13:04

Something definitely needs done to stop this recurring. It happens too many times to be ignored.

Perhaps a cooperative between clubs to mutually decide amongst themselves to suspend games a day or so before if severe weather warnings are predicted.

Obviously needs to meet certain criteria ie.Estimated minimum temperatures, rainfall, snowfall etc from the Met Office

Having the Ref suspend the game on the day sometimes an hour before kick off is not working. Clubs and fans need at least a days notice.

DunfyDave

Post Edited (Wed 08 Dec 13:07)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Wed 8 Dec 13:17

That would likely end up with a few games being postponed unnecessarily which would also cause problems. I don`t think there`s an easy answer to this.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Jjonjord  
Date:   Wed 8 Dec 14:04

What if it`s foggy...? Call it off a day in advance? Or give it another hour to clear....?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: back oh the net  
Date:   Wed 8 Dec 14:08

Quote:

Jjonjord, Wed 08 Dec 14:04

What if it`s foggy...? Call it off a day in advance? Or give it another hour to clear....?

Ask Bobby madden for his opinion 🤣

Come on ye pars ⚽️
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: londonparsfan  
Date:   Wed 8 Dec 14:25

Quote:

wee eck, Wed 8 Dec 13:17

That would likely end up with a few games being postponed unnecessarily which would also cause problems. I don`t think there`s an easy answer to this.

Yeah thats what I was thinking too. If you call a Saturday game off on a Thursday and it`s fine to play on the day you`re likely going to have to replay that midweek which can have it`s own issues and tends to result in less people able to go.

It`s crap when folk get caught by late cancellations but you want to give every chance for a game to go ahead.
[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: Zimbo  
Date:   Wed 8 Dec 14:47

Summer football?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: McCaig`s Tower  
Date:   Wed 8 Dec 16:27

It`s probably the SPFL to blame, rather than the SFA.

There’s always going to be borderline cases where you may call it off too early or leave it too late. (It was looking pretty ropy heading along the M8 on Saturday but unfortunately it cleared up). We’ve probably all made wasted journey when we’ve travelled most of the way only to hear the game is a late victim. I guess that is the risk you run. Fog is a particularly difficult call, as it can suddenly lift, or it can hang around for hours.

There may be scope for a difference in approach between midweek games and Saturday fixtures. I’d tend to err on the side of caution and call a midweek fixture off early, especially if there is a weather warning in place (even if potentially fewer people are affected). If you are forcing games to take place in bad conditions, there is something wrong. (This may be more of an issue for the HFL)

One problem with summer football is that the season is now about 11 months long. (For example, I think the Cup Final was on 22 May, we played our first pre-season game on 23 June).

So if we get back to pre-season training early January, we’re going to be playing our critical league deciders about now, which could be awkward if one part of the country is badly hit and one team has a fixture backlog. Play-off positions might not be clear. Welcome to a freezing cold Hampden for the showpiece cup-final. Sorry to the fans who are snowbound. (Yes, I know, you could still have the cup as it is now but with effectively a midseason finish).

I think shinty moved to a summer season, but I’m not sure what effect that had. It’s less of a spectator sport, though.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Wed 8 Dec 18:33

What really hacks me off is home clubs advising travel intending fans that a game is no danger ( how often have we heard that ?) based solely on the opinion of the ground staff……..therefore there are no plans for an early inspection.

You know the rest.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Socks  
Date:   Wed 8 Dec 19:24

I don`t think it`s possible to get a situation that`s much better than what we have. If you go to away games regularly, you just have to accept that occasionally you`ll go to a game and find it off. It`s annoying when it happens (I`ve been to Dingwall on a Tuesday night for a game postponed at 7pm) but you just have to accept that there`s a risk of it happening. That night, there was nothing anyone could do - the pitch was fine until a late downpour made it unplayable.

The only options are for the game to be on unless a late weather change makes it unplayable, or pre-emptively postponed on grounds that the weather might be bad enough. The second option undoubtably means more games postponed than now and fewer games played at weekends. This in turn means fewer away fans being able to attend when it is ultimately played midweek.

There`s no perfect solution. The least bad option for travelling fans is what we have just now where most games are played as scheduled, most games that are postponed are done so far enough in advance to prevent any problem, and most of the few that remain (those called off late) are put down as just one of those things.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Wed 8 Dec 19:35

Maybe just me .. But why are all games not cancelled on the morning that any storm warnings are forecast ? Albeit the Met office have to err on the side of caution .. But surely its better to say the game could probably have gone ahead rather than say the game should never have gone ahead ?

We are forever shaped by the Children we once were
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 8 Dec 20:53

There are, and always will be exceptions to the rule but I do think that if the Met Office issues a weather warning then everyone should pay heed.

DunfyDave

Post Edited (Wed 08 Dec 20:54)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Ladswell_Thistle  
Date:   Wed 8 Dec 21:11

Add to this that if there`s a weather warning chances are the game will be spoiled by high wind or whatever.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: ianbd6  
Date:   Wed 8 Dec 21:22

Surely they would have had an early inspection. At least just before Kelty set off. I only know how it works down here in non league. If a club has any doubt that a game can go ahead they get a local referee in to inspect the pitch he/she would make their judgement taking into consideration any change forecasted in the weather. If the game is called off after the away team has started their journey the home club has to pay the traveling expenses. The Northern premier League had a ridiculous rule that you couldn`t call a game off until the day of the game. BPA once went about 2 months without playing a home game the pitch was frozen solid and when it thawed it was waterlogged. Because of the silly rule they had to wait until the day of the game and have a 10oclock pitch inspection before officially calling off the game.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: londonparsfan  
Date:   Wed 8 Dec 21:44

Apparently there were no issues until about 4pm then it started raining constantly. The chairman thought the pitch was unplayable about 5.30 as the water was lying on the pitch but they had to wait for the ref to turn up at 6.15.

It sounds like it could have been called off 45 mins earlier but I don`t think that makes a huge difference in the grand scheme of things; certainly doesn`t sound like it should have been called days before.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parathletic  
Date:   Wed 8 Dec 21:53

Atalanta`s game called off tonight due to heavy snow with the players waiting at the side of the park ready to go. Trying to rearrange for tomorrow.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 8 Dec 22:57

If there`s any substantial doubt about a game being in jeopardy it should be called off as soon as possible - especially where fans have a long distance to travel and/or part time players are involved.

That may well be the "wrong" call in hindsight - however that`s better than making no decision until the 11th hour and games being postponed with little notice.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: AJ27  
Date:   Thu 9 Dec 09:13

I think the argument here is more about the road conditions for the players and fans travelling up - the A9 was treacherous (and snow bad around the Keith area if travelling up the East coast) - Elgin itself often misses the worst of the bad weather. Even had the pitch been playable, should Kelty have been expected to travel all that distance through a yellow weather warning? - much the same as our experience at Patrick the other night.

Andy J
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: 1970par  
Date:   Thu 9 Dec 12:24

Perhaps there should be a different set of parameters for calling a game off early where there is for example more than 100 miles to travel? that way the teams who are in the far flung corners of the country are not financially disadvantaged and the trams who would visit them also benefit

There is however nothing that can be done when there is an unexpected downpour which renders a pitch unplayable at short notice

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 9 Dec 13:59

I mind back in 1979 Falkirk’s away cup tie at Inverness Thistle (as was) had to be postponed something like 29 (or thereabouts) times.

That’ll be a Scottish Cup record I assume ?

Going even further back, to the horrendous winter of 1962/63, there is reference to an Airdrie v Stranraer match which was postponed even more times.

That would be a league fixture I reckon.

These games would be binned on a daily basis after very early inspections - no travel for teams, fans, or officials.

Post Edited (Thu 09 Dec 13:59)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 9 Dec 16:02

I think in this day and age as technology has evolved and forecasting more accurate better decisions can be made.

No club wants to postpone or cancel a game but common sense sometimes suggests they should.

I understand there will always be factors beyond control and acts of God that will always catch-out even the best decisions BUT we can improve and do better.

DunfyDave
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Playup_Pompey  
Date:   Thu 9 Dec 16:41

socks is among one of the few who will know the protocols in place. Not just as simple as calling it off.

I was out on Saturday with Ref who had been at Hil of Beath the week before anc called off a 14:30 Kick off at 14:05 as there had been no request to inspect the pitch. If the home team requested an inspection a local ref would be called to inspect it at agreed point with club.

Cancelling 3pm Sat KO to create a midweek game based on a weather forecast that then turns out to be inaccurate would cost the clubs a lot of money. There is no foolproof solution to this sadly

[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net