DAFC.net
Home 06 July 2022 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Highlights Queen of the South
Topic Originator: brian  
Date:   Sun 12 Dec 11:58

link to highlights

Highlights up at 12 noon

John Hughes at 3pm

Kai Kennedy at 5pm

from the ParsTV team

Post Edited (Sun 12 Dec 11:58)
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Highlights Queen of the South
Topic Originator: desparado  
Date:   Sun 12 Dec 14:25

Pretty poor stuff and terrible goals to lose.

Watch O’Hara’s attempt at a clearance with what was the last kick of the match.

Could easily have lost a goal there…..He obviously does not have a left foot.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: gordi-b  
Date:   Sun 12 Dec 14:48

Check out our keeper at their third goal , nowhere near the cross as usual

G.B
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Sun 12 Dec 17:10

That was a fantastic header by McCann. I don`t understand why QOS didn`t have a man on the back post.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: purekozma  
Date:   Sun 12 Dec 17:30

Lee Connelly will have some interest this summer brought through Sunderland youth setup, ha and played for Grant on loan at Alloa. Looks a good no.10 and good goal.

‘Get up, get out the house, why are you sitting in with your head in your hands? Get up and face people.’
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DunfyDave  
Date:   Sun 12 Dec 18:18

One positive, we did well to come back from behind three times.

DunfyDave
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: eastendalloapar  
Date:   Sun 12 Dec 18:48

I felt that William`s was blocked by 2 QOS players for the 3rd goal. I`ve seen free kicks given for less.

matt forsyth
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 12 Dec 18:52

A couple of Pars` defenders tried and failed to intercept the corner before it got near Williams. In a crowded penalty box it`s not that easy for a keeper to claim a cross.

[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: Ladswell_Thistle  
Date:   Sun 12 Dec 21:59

The attacker just stands there and gets a free header from about three yards out. Unbelievable.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Bamba-Daft  
Date:   Mon 13 Dec 08:51

Two weeks in a row teams have put 2 men right on the keepers toes, Hamilton looked dangerous from every corner last week. Had one cleared off the line then got a penalty from the next one. Something that badly needs worked on.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 13 Dec 09:43

Managers at all levels always express disappointment when goals are conceded from set plays yet they keep on happening. Maybe they are really difficult to defend if the opposition has a really accurate crosser of the ball and a rehearsed move that is well-executed on the day.

Fans also are quick to criticise when goals are conceded from set plays but are slow to praise when goals are scored from them as if they are just the result of poor defending. I wonder how much preparation went into the Kennedy/McCann goal on Saturday? Could it have been improvised on the day?

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Bucuresti Par  
Date:   Mon 13 Dec 10:34

Not sure if McCann`s goal was worked on or not, but Kennedy did say in his interview that he was aiming for the near post, quite often there is some kind of signal given by the taker to tell the rest what area he is aiming for. It was good movement by McCann and a brilliant header from that position. I`d be shocked and saddened if we didn`t work regularly on defending and attacking set pieces. With attacking ones, the players should know what areas they are attacking, this gives the taker some margin for error if there are players going at each area, someone in front of the keeper and somebody waiting on the edge of the box. It`s not easy to hit an accurate corner with pace, so best to give the taker some margin for error.

OFW is weak at claiming crosses, particularly at corners (unfortunately Mehmet looked even worse!) and its clear that most teams target this. I don`t like his starting position and for me a goalkeeper should be coming and dealing with almost anything that ends up in the 6 yard box in front of the goal (not if it is as far out as McCann`s header was). Obviously the defenders have a key role to play as well and they need to stay with their man and win or at least challenge for anything that comes near them. The 3rd Queens goal is a cross that a decent keeper catches or punches away.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: yorkiepar  
Date:   Mon 13 Dec 12:11

I’ve thought for a long while that OFW - nice guy and great servant to the Club though he may be - is the root of one of our principal issues. He has a real problem venturing off his line and just doesn’t command his area like he should. This creates panic in the defence and is, as others have pointed out, being exploited by opposing teams.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: bigdonnie  
Date:   Mon 13 Dec 13:25

attacking not too bad but its that kami kazi defending that is killing us when big jock stein took over in 1960 he stopped nightmare defending then we went on good winning run if yogi can get them to cut out keystones cop defending then we can pull save off relegation thats our main aim this season im afraid teams at top too far ahead of us keep safe then rebuild for next season next up away to killie who are dire right now so might sneak wee result c o y p

donald mcneil
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: RhinoPars  
Date:   Mon 13 Dec 13:37

Agree with Bucuresti Par and Yorkiepar re OFW and Mehmet on crosses. Along with Cammy Gill last season, for my liking too, they all stay on their goal lines too much. They don`t physically dominate and command their 5 yard box in the air. I would expect this is being exploited by other teams at corners and won`t give defenders confidence. OFW does seem a really decent committed nice guy who is giving his all and has also made some good saves for us; but I feel that goalkeeper is one position we need to strengthen with OFW as back up.

By way of contrast, for three seasons my local PSL club Maritzburg United had a Ghanaian International Keeper called Richard Ofori as their number 1. He was fantastic in the air and a complete contrast to keepers like OFW, Mehmet and Gill. He is physically quite big and wouldn`t hesitate to come out and dominate his 5 yard box and a bit further too (if he assessed he would be able to get to the ball). He was willing to come out to catch the ball or punch it away. The following link starts part of the way in a video compilation of him when at Maritzburg and should start to play around the time they show a few of his aerial saves https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmAPkxXvVAo&t=192s. You can wind back to the start if you want to see some of his shot stopping and blocks. Sadly for Maritzburg United he was transferred to Orlando Pirates (one of SA`s biggest clubs) at the end of last season (although he has been troubled a bit by injuries since). While he is an Internationalist he would be unlikely to swop playing for one of the biggest clubs in the top professional league in the country and anyway the Pars sadly couldn`t afford his wages - which at Pirates (according to the internet) are currently rumoured to be R300,000 or just over £14,300 a month!).

Post Edited (Mon 13 Dec 16:07)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: gordi-b  
Date:   Mon 13 Dec 16:50

Back in the day the Pars were always blessed with very competent keepers who knew their job when dealing with cross balls and set pieces, unfortunately neither of our keepers is that standard, and for O.F.W to be our goalie coach is quite laughable

G.B
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Raymie the Legend  
Date:   Mon 13 Dec 22:04

Quote:

gordi-b, Mon 13 Dec 16:50

Back in the day the Pars were always blessed with very competent keepers who knew their job when dealing with cross balls and set pieces, unfortunately neither of our keepers is that standard, and for O.F.W to be our goalie coach is quite laughable

It’s true. We always used to have good keepers, even when we were a struggling side.
It’s been a while since we can say that.

To be fair to Owain, many keepers in the modern game don’t come off their line nearly as much as they did in years gone by

It's bloody tough being a legend
Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 13 Dec 23:09

I seem to remember Jim Herriot didn`t exactly distinguish himself coming for a corner in the 1965 Scottish Cup Final against Celtic and the penalty box wasn`t as crowded as we are used to seeing in the modern game.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: red-star-par  
Date:   Mon 13 Dec 23:29

To be fair Owain isn`t that bad a goalie, but we probably need a better one if we hope to be battling at the right end of the table. We really have been spoilt for goalies as Pars fans over the years with some pretty reliable keepers over the years. From when I started watching Dunfermline we`ve had Hugh Whyte, Ian Westwater, Andy Rhodes, Guido Van De Kamp, Derek Stillie, Allan McGregor, Mark Ruittenbeek, Dorus De Vries, Paul Gallagher, all decent keepers. Even some of the others that never quite established themselves or got to that level and were only here for a short time did not bad and were a lot better than what we`ve had to put up with lately. Guys like Jamie Langfield, Tom Carson, Hans Segars, Scott Thomson, Zoran Lemagic, Kris Mampaey, all sound keepers. It seemed like until Chris Smith appeared on the scene we were always blessed in the keeper department. To be honest, it`s the position that where we should be investing decent wages
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Bucuresti Par  
Date:   Tue 14 Dec 10:51

Yes, in fairness to OFW, he is a decent keeper, to say that he isn`t was unfair. His handling is good, shot-stopping is pretty good (with the occasional exception but that`s normal) and his distribution is decent, although his kicking is a bit mixed.

But dealing with crosses, and particularly corners, is a clear and major weakness. What concerns me is his starting position, he needs to be much closer to the near post, if he is, then he is favourite to collect anything in the 6 yard box (in front of the goal). He is nearer to the far post, so has no chance at collecting balls that should be his. Given that he is an experienced keeper and our coach, he is clearly choosing this positioning, but for me its incorrect. Clearly as an international goalkeeper, he should know what he`s doing, but I hope there is some input from Yogi and the other coaches and they at least analyse and discuss this with him. If he is closer to the near post, then he might occasionally struggle with a well-hit cross to the far post, but quite honestly, I`d prefer that to happen. It`s a more difficult cross for a taker to hit and with it travelling further, there is more chance of one our defenders being able to deal with it. Where he stands now, rooted to the middle of his line and nearer the far post, the takes knows he hit the cross as close as he likes to the goal, because he won`t be coming for it.

It didn`t help that on Saturday, we had only Connolly and to a lesser extent McCann who are strong in the air, Breen isn`t bad but is a little smaller. With Gaspuitus also there, there might be enough aerial presence to cover for OFW. However there really shouldn`t need to be, he`s a tall enough guy, he should be coming out and commanding his 6 yard box, regardless of a few bodies around him.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 14 Dec 11:24

Yes agree he is a good keeper but with a weakness in the air. Opposing players obstructing or holding at corners also makes it harder for keepers to get to the ball these days.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Westies squint kicks  
Date:   Tue 14 Dec 14:19

Mehmet at half time, never does any handling, they have him playing keep ball with the rest of the team, surely someone can get his eye in in case he`s needed, seems so amateurish.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 14 Dec 16:16

Wee Eck - I won`t forget that goal in the 1965 Cup Final either.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 14 Dec 16:33

I had another look at it on YouTube, RhinoPars. You could see from Jim`s body language that he knew he was at fault.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: sammer  
Date:   Tue 14 Dec 16:48

Some interesting thoughts about OFW and how he deals with corners.

I’ll put a word in defence of Jim Herriot who was mentioned a few posts ago. Jim was blamed for Celtic’s winning goal in the 1965 Scottish Cup Final when he failed to collect a corner. First of all the crosser of the ball, Charlie Gallagher, was as good at placing corners as Alex Edwards or Tommy McLean. Second, although the centre half coming up for corners was unusual at the time it was well enough known for Dunfermline to put a man on McNeill: Alex Smith who, like Fergie a few years later, failed to match McNeill’s run. Third, normally the centre half would attack a high ball played over to the back post but this time, in what was obviously a planned move, McNeill made a late run towards the near post. That’s what beat Herriot for he thought he was going to pluck the ball out of the air before it reached McNeill. Bobby Lennox blocking Herriot’s move didn’t help either.

I think Jim Herriot has to take most of the blame but credit really goes to an outstanding corner, a clever move, and a well timed leap by the Celtic captain.

sammer
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: buffy  
Date:   Tue 14 Dec 16:50

TBH I thought oor Tracey and I would have made it into the highlights... in oor christmas frocks in Legends pre match.

No` even a photae on the official website. Nowt. Nana. Zilch. :-(

buffysbuns.wordpress.com
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Tue 14 Dec 18:18

I`m sure all the players can improve but my view is we`ve lacked a fair bit of squad consistency. Past seasons we`ve had a lot of decent loanees. They`ll never be truly part of the team as they`ll typically be headed back to their parent club. We lost a fair few last season and we`ve brought in almost a whole teams worth of new players since. Those boys aren`t going to gel as well as a team that`s been playing together for some time.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: BA  
Date:   Tue 14 Dec 19:01

Mehmet at half time, never does any handling, they have him playing keep ball with the rest of the team, surely someone can get his eye in in case he`s needed, seems so amateurish.

Agreed. For whatever reason Crawford thought it was a good idea not to have a GK coach and basically let our number 1 GK be his own main critic! I’m really surprised this hasn’t been changed yet.

[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net