DAFC.net
Home 09 December 2022 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Effect of Covid on football
Topic Originator: Raymie the Legend  
Date:   Thu 16 Dec 12:57

The latest casualty is Leicester v Spurs tonight.

Don`t think we are too far away from many more cancellations over the next couple of weeks and games only going ahead behind closed doors?

It's bloody tough being a legend
Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Effect of Covid on football
Date:   Thu 16 Dec 13:10

Thomas Frank, the Brentford manager, has called for postponements until after Christmas.
David Martindale at Livingston has just called for a 2 week shut down

It`s inevitable. It`s going to happen sooner rather than later. I can see games being called off because players have covid over the next two weeks.
I think we could be looking at games going ahead with no fans as early as January, with players being back in covid "bubbles"?

Post Edited (Thu 16 Dec 13:12)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: aaaaaaaaaargh  
Date:   Thu 16 Dec 13:40

I think it they will call off half of the games this weekend, then suspend everything next week until mid-January.
I was looking forward to watching a few games on TV, too.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: aaaaaaaaaargh  
Date:   Thu 16 Dec 13:42

I also think the Covid testing system will completely collapse at some point next week, so that will no doubt have an effect on sport too.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Stanza  
Date:   Thu 16 Dec 16:11

Best make sure we`re not at the bottom of the league ...

Support Dunfermline Athletic Disabled Supporters` Club when you shop online with one of 7000 retailers, insurance firms etc
http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/dadsc
Or donate £5 - text "DADSC" to 70970
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: MDCCCLXXXV  
Date:   Thu 16 Dec 16:31

Great point stanza

East End Park is a symbol of all that is DAFC.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Berry  
Date:   Thu 16 Dec 16:45

Becoming a nightmare managing my FPL team.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Thu 16 Dec 17:40

John Swinney was interviewed on GMS a couple of mornings ago, talking about the new restrictions on gatherings etc.

Gary Robertson raised the question of supporters` buses ......how do you get around the no more than 3 households advice ?

Interesting point.

[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Thu 16 Dec 17:44

How do you `get round it` on public transport?

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: dafc-chris1  
Date:   Thu 16 Dec 17:58

This is a massive over reaction evidence from South Africa is that this is a mild variant but there is no doubt in my mind that Nicola will stop Football due to the fact she hates it
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: dd23  
Date:   Thu 16 Dec 18:10

What a ridiculous post.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 16 Dec 18:11

Where`s the evidence `she hates it`? Anyway, this isn`t the Politics Forum.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 16 Dec 19:20

"How do you `get round it` on public transport?"

Gary Robertson omitted to ask that one - watch this space.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Malcolm Canmore  
Date:   Thu 16 Dec 19:45

Quote:

veteraneastender, Thu 16 Dec 19:20

Three household GUIDANCE is for social gatherings. Team bus would be work, not social.

My dog eats meat
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: red-star-par  
Date:   Thu 16 Dec 20:10

I can see them putting in a break for football pretty soon.
I wonder also if in the next year we will see the effect of the vaccination in football.

Quite a lot of cardiac issues have come to light among players lately. It could be coincidence I`m sure but time will tell us that
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: dafc  
Date:   Thu 16 Dec 20:39

Circuit breaker from Boxing Day for 3 weeks. Maybe even vaccine passport for all matches with fans.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: k76  
Date:   Thu 16 Dec 21:07

The British Government will need to reintroduce furlough to allow any restrictions that will stop a business from trading.

Insisting on COVID passports will still allow football to go ahead which maybe the only way forward.

IMO both Scottish and UK governments are doing all they can without enforcing vaccinations.

The only way out of this pandemic is get vaccinated.

If you don’t want to be vaccinated that’s your choice but the minority should not be stopping the majority getting back to a ‘normal’ life.

The unvaccinated should be excluded from ‘normal’ life and allow the majority to live.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 16 Dec 21:22

Quote:

Malcolm Canmore, Thu 16 Dec 19:45

Quote:

Three household GUIDANCE is for social gatherings. Team bus would be work, not social.

The question was about supporters’ buses.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: AdamAntsParsStripe  
Date:   Thu 16 Dec 23:17

Quote:

veteraneastender, Thu 16 Dec 21:22

Quote:

Quote:

It isn`t a rule either about gatherings but guidance.
In other words common sense.

Zwei Pints Bier und ein Päckchen Chips bitte
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks  
Date:   Thu 16 Dec 23:42

"Quite a lot of cardiac issues have come to light among players lately. It could be coincidence I`m sure but time will tell us that."

Of course it could be the effects of covid that is causing these cardiac issues or it could just be coincidence. As you say time will tell.

And although my eyes were open
They just might as well be closed
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parsfan97  
Date:   Fri 17 Dec 00:19

‘The only way out of this pandemic is get vaccinated’

Heard that all last year when the vaccination programme started, now some folk desperate for us to head back into lockdown. Vaccines were supposed to get us our lifes back according to the governments

Post Edited (Fri 17 Dec 00:22)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: QPR_Par  
Date:   Fri 17 Dec 01:55

Quote:

dafc-chris1, Thu 16 Dec 17:58

This is a massive over reaction evidence from South Africa is that this is a mild variant but there is no doubt in my mind that Nicola will stop Football due to the fact she hates it

It has nothing to with the effects of the variant, the big issue is that this variant is more contagious as carriers can infect more people than previous variants.

I agree Sturgeon hates football (almost as much as the idea of independence). The Offensive Behaviour at Football Act is all the evidence you need.

Post Edited (Fri 17 Dec 01:56)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Fri 17 Dec 07:27

Quote:

parsfan97, Fri 17 Dec 00:19

‘The only way out of this pandemic is get vaccinated’

Heard that all last year when the vaccination programme started, now some folk desperate for us to head back into lockdown. Vaccines were supposed to get us our lifes back according to the governments

Two possible scenarios, perhaps:-

1. Political leaders genuinely believed this.

2. They had no idea how it would all pan out, since the virus and the vaccines were new and untried, so they put out optimistic messages and crossed their fingers.

I know which option my money`s on.

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: mars par  
Date:   Fri 17 Dec 08:48

The vaccines were working against the previous strains and life was heading back towards normal. But you can`t account for new strains, you can`t exactly create a vaccine against something that doesn`t exist yet

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Rastapari  
Date:   Fri 17 Dec 08:55

[Post Deleted] - Deliberately provoking fellow DAFC.net poster(s)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 17 Dec 09:16

A serious discussion between.all parts of society needs to take place on what the consequences will be for the unvaccinated it is the way ahead to ensure that the events and hospitality industry are able to stay open
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Rastapari  
Date:   Fri 17 Dec 09:51

[Post Deleted] - Rude or abusive message
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 17 Dec 10:44

So when should we be gassed?
Did you get holocaust history at school or did they skim it?

The consequences the way i see it are the unvaccinated are either locked down or banned from attending any events or hospitality but the final resort would be compulsary vaccination which i am not quite in favour yet but if i get put in another lockdown because of them then all gloves are off and that would push me towards supporting compulsary vaccination
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 17 Dec 11:06

Quote:

AdamAntsParsStripe, Thu 16 Dec 23:17

Quote:

veteraneastender, Thu 16 Dec 21:22

Quote:

Quote:

It isn`t a rule either about gatherings but guidance.
In other words common sense.

It may not be an absolute rule, but the guidance from government is still quite clear.

Common sense suggests that the 3 household rule is unworkable on a supporters’ bus.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parsfan97  
Date:   Fri 17 Dec 11:42

The doctor who discovered this variant in South Africa has even come out and said the UK reaction to this has been well over the top, if the snp had their way we’d be in lockdown right now, the whole point of vaccination was to get back to normal (or as close as). Another lockdown or restrictions and just watch how many business go to the wall and how many people will lose jobs. Wonder how much our club would struggle with no crowds/ hospitality etc

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 17 Dec 11:54

If football goes back to being played behind closed doors then most clubs would struggle financially on a huge scale might even be existential
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: saltonsgonagetu  
Date:   Fri 17 Dec 11:55

News coming from the Netherlands and Denmark, suggest new varient is as dangerous as the others .

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: desparado  
Date:   Fri 17 Dec 12:28

>I agree Sturgeon hates football (almost as much as the idea of independence). The Offensive Behaviour at Football Act is all the evidence you need.<

So every political leader in Europe hates football too ??

The OB act was badly thought through unfortunately but it was intended initially to try and quell the sectarianism that is rife at some Scottish football grounds.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: SergioDuarte  
Date:   Fri 17 Dec 15:03

If there is another lockdown the unvaccinated should be held accountable. A shower of absolute sh*tebags .
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: QPR_Par  
Date:   Fri 17 Dec 17:42

Quote:

desparado, Fri 17 Dec 12:28

>I agree Sturgeon hates football (almost as much as the idea of independence). The Offensive Behaviour at Football Act is all the evidence you need.<

So every political leader in Europe hates football too ??

The OB act was badly thought through unfortunately but it was intended initially to try and quell the sectarianism that is rife at some Scottish football grounds.

There were laws in place to deal with that type of behaviour. A much more effective remedy is to follow UEFA’s example and order ground closures. Our jails are full enough as it is.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: LochgellyAlbert  
Date:   Fri 17 Dec 19:41

English Premier league being decimated this weekend!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: sammer  
Date:   Fri 17 Dec 19:48

SergioDuarte is hopping mad. He has bought two insurance policies but is no better off than he was before. You might think he should be hopping mad at those who sold him the policy, but he is denial. So he blames those who did not sign up for the same dud policy as himself! He`s angry because they are no worse off than him.

His logic is beyond belief. If the unvaccinated were the idiots he claims then they would mostly have self destructed by now. We have had two years of this virus. Yet he continues to champion the very vaccination policy that makes him feel fearful.

Once the country is 100% vaccinated and life is no better he may turn on the gypsies, the Jews or the freemasons.

sammer
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GJS93  
Date:   Fri 17 Dec 19:57

https://spfl.co.uk/news/joint-response-group-statement-171221

"Clubs in the cinch Premiership will now be required to undertake daily testing for all playing and team staff as part of the enhanced protocols.

Further consultation has been scheduled early next week with the Scottish Women’s Premier League, cinch Championship, League 1 and 2, and Scottish Highland and Lowland Football Leagues. The outcome of those discussions will be communicated thereafter"

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: saltonsgonagetu  
Date:   Fri 17 Dec 20:18

25% of EPL players saying they will not be getting vaccinated,not sure how the other players will feel as games are cancelled,or you lose games as you are forced to play with under strength teams .

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: THE_TECHNICIAN  
Date:   Fri 17 Dec 21:07

With an Old Firm game on Sunday, fully expect a statement 2 minutes after the final whistle. Is that what happened the last time? (Maybe wrong). Cant let anything stop an OF game.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: ParfectXI  
Date:   Fri 17 Dec 21:12

I don’t think games will be played again empty stadiums, but will probably go down the ROI route of 50% capacity.

I can’t believe though some of the things I’m reading, it’s beyond belief. Restrictions are happening around the world, so are all these governments wrong too. The point of the restrictions is to stop the NHS being overrun! There is conflicting information from scientists about how dangerous it is, but the one thing they all agree on is how contagious it is (almost 90k new cases today) now say 1% of the 50k fans expected to go to the old firm game then that’s 500 carriers shouting and singing and giving it to those around them, obviously they won’t all be in the same area of the ground so that’s potentially a lot of infections and potentially a lot of hospitalisations- add the 2 games in this weekend and the hospitals in Glasgow will be struggling. They won’t be able to help people with cancer, leukaemia etc. it’s the bigger picture you have to look at.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks  
Date:   Fri 17 Dec 21:38

There is no Old Firm game on Sunday. Celtic play Hibs in the cup final. The Old Firm derby is on the second of January.

And although my eyes were open
They just might as well be closed
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Sat 18 Dec 07:45

We will almost certainly break through the psychological glass ceiling of 100,000 new daily cases this weekend. Our political leaders will feel duty bound to be seen to be doing something to stem the tide and football could well become a casualty.

Ironically, if the Omicron varient does turn out to be relatively harmless and continues to rip through the population, it may achieve the "herd immunity "the Tory Government was pinning its hopes on in the early days of the pandemic. No doubt they`ll try and claim the credit for it. 😃

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Bamba-Daft  
Date:   Sat 18 Dec 10:48

Quote:

k76, Thu 16 Dec 21:07

The British Government will need to reintroduce furlough to allow any restrictions that will stop a business from trading.

Insisting on COVID passports will still allow football to go ahead which maybe the only way forward.

IMO both Scottish and UK governments are doing all they can without enforcing vaccinations.

If you don’t want to be vaccinated that’s your choice but the minority should not be stopping the majority getting back to a ‘normal’ life.

The unvaccinated should be excluded from ‘normal’ life and allow the majority to live.

We’re heading for another lockdown despite about 95% of the population being double vaccinated. Are you honestly that thick?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Sat 18 Dec 11:55

Quote:

Bamba-Daft, Sat 18 Dec 10:48

Quote:

k76, Thu 16 Dec 21:07

We’re heading for another lockdown despite about 95% of the population being double vaccinated. Are you honestly that thick?

That`s not right. It`s a little over 80% and that figure is for those eligible to receive it (12+). Current data also suggests the current two doses are fairly ineffective against Omicron. Still good to have them to help against the other variants though.

The concern with Omicron is it spreads like wildfire and the current suggestion of milder symptoms is yet to be confirmed. Every year the NHS pushes for people to receive the flu vaccine to save lives and reduce strain in services. This typically goes unnoticed whereas COVID campaigns are more noticeable due to politicians getting involved and it being of interest to the wider population.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Rusty Shackleford  
Date:   Sat 18 Dec 12:22

Exactly Jake. Milder symptoms are all well and good but say 1% need hospitalised then given the sheer scale of the spread then it`s a huge, huge concern. Not sure why 20 months into this thing it`s so difficult to understand for some folk.

The comparisons to treatment of Jews/Nazi etc are beyond ridiculous as well.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 18 Dec 12:33

Another misunderstanding seems to be that, because Omicron is thought to be milder than other variants, it`s not a serious danger to the economy etc. I think the point is that, because of its higher transmissibility, it`s likely to affect more people and, even if they`re not sick enough to need to be admitted to hospital, they`ll probably need to stay at home which will affect essential services as well as other amenities we`ve become accustomed to since lockdown ended and restrictions were eased.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: THE_TECHNICIAN  
Date:   Sat 18 Dec 12:53

My bad, obviously gettin old and doddery now. Should have said "coming up".

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 18 Dec 13:24

Rusty and Wee Eck etc. are correct.

It`s the potential for high incidence of infections, obliging the stricken to stay home/miss work etc. that`s the big concern.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: ParsAreTheLoveOfMyLife  
Date:   Sat 18 Dec 13:47

Don`t get vaxxed, then be forced to stay in the house. That`s my view.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 18 Dec 14:01

Leeds v Arsenal is the only surviving fixture in the English Premiership today. Full daily testing at Scottish Premiership clubs starts on Monday.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parsfan  
Date:   Tue 21 Dec 09:56

All sporting fixtures in Wales will be behind closed doors from Boxing Day. I`ll be surprised if we don`t go the same way.

Guardian

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The universe is ruled by chance and indifference

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 21 Dec 11:13

I fear that you may be right but i do hope that this doesn`t happen
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Stanza  
Date:   Tue 21 Dec 11:15

Cabinet meeting this morning, then the First Minister will make an announcement this afternoon (expected at 1420). I wouldn`t be booking a ticket for the Raith match on 2 January....

Support Dunfermline Athletic Disabled Supporters` Club when you shop online with one of 7000 retailers, insurance firms etc
http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/dadsc
Or donate £5 - text "DADSC" to 70970
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 21 Dec 11:25

A number of countries in Europe are imposing strict restrictions. I`d be be very surprised if we don`t go the same way as Wales

Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: da_no_1  
Date:   Tue 21 Dec 11:25

She loves being in charge of you pesky little football fans.....

"Some days will stay a 1000 years, some pass like the flash of a spark"
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: PilmuirPar  
Date:   Tue 21 Dec 11:40

So with all these boosters, vaccine passports and negative tests we still can’t do the things we enjoy? Sigh….

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: LEGEND85  
Date:   Tue 21 Dec 12:05

I hope it is games cancelled and then rescheduled rather than closed door matches.

Even though the football is murder at times it`s been great to get out and go to the games, the pre match pint etc.

Harder to swallow this time and the thought of ppv games just doesn`t appeal
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Socks  
Date:   Tue 21 Dec 12:46

I`d rather we do that as well, for a few weeks anyway. Even if we go to the end of January without playing, there should still be time to rearrange all games before the end of the season, given that there`s only one game in our division outstanding at the moment.

The thought of only being able to watch football by live stream again is an utterly miserable one for me.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: da_no_1  
Date:   Tue 21 Dec 12:52

Surely the lower leagues with a few hundred people spaced apart can be possible with reduced capacities at the larger grounds?

The same old debate I know but even the WHO is saying we have to learn to live with this rather than more lockdowns.

"We prefer not to see lockdowns, a big lockdown, because they have huge economic implications, they have very severe social implications and mental health implications"

Football is all some folk have in their lives.

"Some days will stay a 1000 years, some pass like the flash of a spark"
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 21 Dec 14:20

500 max from Boxing Day for 3 weeks 😔

Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net