DAFC.net
Home 09 December 2022 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Pars TV interviews with players.
Topic Originator: AdamAntsParsStripe  
Date:   Sat 18 Dec 00:31

What actually is the point of them when all we get is robotic answers to every obvious question asked?
It is depressing and I would just like to hear the occasional player saying how it actually is without the need to say things to get themselves in trouble

Zwei Pints Bier und ein Päckchen Chips bitte
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Pars TV interviews with players.
Topic Originator: CrossPar  
Date:   Sat 18 Dec 12:02

The questioning is poor. Long, rambling questions, often repeating the same things and containing too much detail. The questions should be short and open, giving the person being interviewed the opportunity to give his views. Instead, the interviewer has virtually answered his own questions by the the time the player gets to speak. Yogi is the exception because he can speak regardless!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Sat 18 Dec 12:41

One thing I`ve never understood is why the interview with Yogi previewing the next match is done so early in the week. For example this week`s was obviously done before the bounce game with Livi. The information about availability of players is pretty meaningless at that point. Maybe logistics comes into getting the manager and interviewer together at a suitable time but the timing seems a bit odd.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: brian  
Date:   Sat 18 Dec 13:50

sounds like 3 volunteers to come along and help :o)

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Malcolm Canmore  
Date:   Sat 18 Dec 13:57

Quote:

CrossPar, Sat 18 Dec 12:02

The questioning is poor. Long, rambling questions, often repeating the same things and containing too much detail. The questions should be short and open, giving the person being interviewed the opportunity to give his views. Instead, the interviewer has virtually answered his own questions by the the time the player gets to speak. Yogi is the exception because he can speak regardless!

Agree 100%. The questioner always answers his own question leaving nothing for the interviewee to say.

My dog eats meat

Post Edited (Sun 19 Dec 07:41)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: PARrot  
Date:   Sun 19 Dec 04:23

Quote:

Malcolm Canmore, Sat 18 Dec 13:57

Quote:

CrossPar, Sat 18 Dec 12:02

Agree 100%. The questioner always answers his own question leaving nothing for the interviewer today.

Hopefully he will take these points onboard. Decent guy who puts in a lot of volunteer hours. Pretty sure he will accept positive criticism and make the necessary adjustments. Every day is a learning day.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Sun 19 Dec 07:45

Quote:

AdamAntsParsStripe, Sat 18 Dec 00:31

What actually is the point of them when all we get is robotic answers to every obvious question asked?
It is depressing and I would just like to hear the occasional player saying how it actually is without the need to say things to get themselves in trouble

The point about asking "open" questions, which gives the interviewee the opportunity to answer in a more detailed and meaningful way is a good one. Hopefully, the interviewer will take that on board.

The other point worth making is that many players will have had virtually no experience in public speaking, so that putting them in front of a TV camera and sticking a microphone under their chin is a daunting, even terrifying, experience. The only way to get better at anything is to repeat it or practise it. The improvement in the players public speaking during the school visits had to be seen to be believed. The first time any of them were asked to do it, they`d be a bag of nerves but after 2 or 3 visits, they were far more confident and clearly enjoying it.

We found that having the players doing the visits in pairs made it much easier for them. This might be worth exploring in the post match interviews.

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Raymie the Legend  
Date:   Sun 19 Dec 11:33

Folks have to remember that the people who run pars tv are volunteers and put in many hours of their time for the benefit of pars supporters.

Also, the players and the manager are under no obligation to come out after the matches for these interviews

Would fans like to see aggressive and controversial questioning like Patrick Davison of Sky? I watched his interview with Marcelo Bielsa and it was uncomfortable. He likes to kick a man when he is down. I don’t think Bielsa will be as accommodating with his time in future ?

If the answer to the above is yes, then I would imagine pretty soon, no interviews would take place.

Be thankful for what we have and please cut the guys some slack

It's bloody tough being a legend
Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: DBA  
Date:   Sun 19 Dec 11:52

Quote:

Raymie the Legend, Sun 19 Dec 11:33

Folks have to remember that the people who run pars tv are volunteers and put in many hours of their time for the benefit of pars supporters.

Also, the players and the manager are under no obligation to come out after the matches for these interviews

Would fans like to see aggressive and controversial questioning like Patrick Davison of Sky? I watched his interview with Marcelo Bielsa and it was uncomfortable. He likes to kick a man when he is down. I don’t think Bielsa will be as accommodating with his time in future ?

If the answer to the above is yes, then I would imagine pretty soon, no interviews would take place.

Be thankful for what we have and please cut the guys some slack

People can be thankful for the service, as well as providing critique. It`s an official avenue for the club to communicate with the fans, so volunteers or not it will always be open to criticism. As long as it`s constructive, then it has to be taken on board.

The mention of Open questions is very valid, and hopefully something that can be done going forward.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 19 Dec 12:08

Agree,DBA. Constructive criticism is always welcome and I’m sure the volunteers are motivated to provide as good a service as they can, albeit within guidelines and restrictions

Ron Atkinson - 1983

Post Edited (Sun 19 Dec 12:08)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 19 Dec 15:19

My point is, we rarely hear players giving anything but the standard answers.
I`m not expecting controversy or inside info but all I hear is the players just agreeing with Burty.
Fon Williams is about the only one I`m interested in listening to as he tends to go into more detail.
He`d actually make a good coach one day.
Just a wee bit more honesty would be a good thing but I`m guessing that`s why the likes of Dom Thomas don`t get interviewed.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: buffy  
Date:   Sun 19 Dec 16:16

I’m fairly sure the players are advised how to respond to questions, long or short.

Cut the parstv guys some slack

”Buffy’s Buns are the finest in Fife”, J. Spence 2019”
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 19 Dec 16:19

I never said anything about the Pars TV guys.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 19 Dec 17:13

The "criticism" is constructive with a view to making for better interviews. It is nothing to do with cutting anyone slack. We well understand that the people are volunteers giving their time for free. I would have thought that constructive comments would be welcomed.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 19 Dec 17:47

Quote:

CrossPar, Sun 19 Dec 17:13

The "criticism" is constructive with a view to making for better interviews. It is nothing to do with cutting anyone slack. We well understand that the people are volunteers giving their time for free. I would have thought that constructive comments would be welcomed.

Precisely. Nobody has been unpleasant or highly critical. Just a polite suggestion on how it can be improved.
Im pretty sure Burty will not be upset by anything that has been written.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: brian  
Date:   Sun 19 Dec 18:25

it did sound like a dig at ParsTV :o)
as has been said comments are always accepted

but regardless, whichever way you go with interviews its a difficult decision, especially with the freedom of social media :o)

Post Edited (Sun 19 Dec 18:27)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 19 Dec 20:44

Quote:

brian, Sun 19 Dec 18:25

it did sound like a dig at ParsTV :o)
as has been said comments are always accepted

but regardless, whichever way you go with interviews its a difficult decision, especially with the freedom of social media :o)

It wasn`t a dig at Pars TV though.
Maybe the responses afterwards suggested a different approach to it.
I watch most interviews especially post match as you get a feeling as to how the manager and players are feeling.
Yogi is just Yogi and he`ll say what he wants anyway which is great but the players interviews are so bland (their fault)

I don`t know what the actual point of them are as the fans get no insight at all.

Just going through the motions and excluding players with the real emotions is how I see it.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Sun 19 Dec 21:01

Are any interviews with footballers ever interesting? You get a few characters like Yogi that you`ll watch. They`re engaging and have an energy about them. Most people are poor at being interviewed. I remember years ago my boss decided it would be a hip thing to do a wee interview with one of the apprentices. I kid you not that the interview was pretty much:

Boss: You`ve come in as a young apprentice, that must be exciting?
Apprentice: Yeah
Boss: What do you find the most rewarding part?
Apprentice: Workin` wi` the lads.
Boss: Is that what you enjoy most about the job or are there other things?
Apprentice: Yeah.

Painful to watch.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Taxipar  
Date:   Sun 19 Dec 21:53

All players are media trained. And most managers want to know the questions that are going to be asked

A par since 1985
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: red-star-par  
Date:   Mon 20 Dec 00:17

Don`t know why they even bother interviewing players at any level. Same questions, same answers. It`s very boring and unnecessary. Not worth watching. Do many people actually waste time watching?
Sometimes it`s bad enough watching the matches without hearing players talk about it as well
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Stanza  
Date:   Mon 20 Dec 00:50

"Are any interviews with footballers ever interesting?"

I dunno ...

Support Dunfermline Athletic Disabled Supporters` Club when you shop online with one of 7000 retailers, insurance firms etc
http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/dadsc
Or donate £5 - text "DADSC" to 70970
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: da_no_1  
Date:   Mon 20 Dec 06:58

Suppose you could interview the England captain and ask him why he wasn`t sent off for his dangerous potentially leg breaking tackle on Andy Robertson only for him to say "I haven`t seen it".......

"Some days will stay a 1000 years, some pass like the flash of a spark"
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Mon 20 Dec 07:42

Quote:

Taxipar, Sun 19 Dec 21:53

All players are media trained.

Really? All players at all clubs?

I had the privilege of working with many Pars players for several years, pre-Covid and I didn`t see much evidence of it, especially among the younger ones. Some of the senior players demonstrated a level of confidence in public speaking, which suggested they may have benefited from media training at previous clubs, but it could equally have been gained by repeated exposure.

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 20 Dec 09:00

Topic Originator: CrossPar
Date: Sat 18 Dec 12:02

Morning, Crosspar.

I think if you had omitted your first two sentences, then that would have been a more palatable post, whilst still getting all of your message across?

What do you think?

Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 20 Dec 09:26

Quote:

Raymie the Legend, Mon 20 Dec 09:00

Topic Originator: CrossPar
Date: Sat 18 Dec 12:02

Morning, Crosspar.

I think if you had omitted your first two sentences, then that would have been a more palatable post, whilst still getting all of your message across?

What do you think?

The first 2 sentences are critical but factual. Not intended as a slight on anyone, but don`t see what is wrong about stating facts. Too many sensitive souls on here at times.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 20 Dec 13:28

I recon Burty does a great job and he will be more than happy with honest friendly advice on how to improve.
Crosspar is 100% correct in his comments, so I am sure Burty will learn, improve and continue to provide a much appreciated service.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Mon 20 Dec 13:33

Just because you`re trained in something, doesn`t mean you`re any good at it!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 20 Dec 13:35

Quote:

jake89, Mon 20 Dec 13:33

Just because you`re trained in something, doesn`t mean you`re any good at it!

Nope, training has to be followed by experience.

After a few interviews they should get more confident.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 20 Dec 18:33

Just listened to Burty`s interview with Craig Wighton and it was better, more concise questions and Craig speaks better than most.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: buffy  
Date:   Mon 20 Dec 19:26

You were being overly critical of parstv AAPS imo.

Funny how the criticism comes from people who will never step forward to offer their help.

There’s constructive criticism and there’s having a go. You did the latter.

You missed Raymie’s point spectacularly CrossPar.

There was also no need for the sensitive souls comment - I’m allowed an opinion too.

”Buffy’s Buns are the finest in Fife”, J. Spence 2019”
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 20 Dec 19:35

I rest my case m`laud.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Tue 21 Dec 21:20

Best ever player interview was Lou Macari when he lambasted the Scotland setup.

I wonder if it’s on YouTube ?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Jeffery  
Date:   Tue 21 Dec 21:42

For me the interviews that stick in the mind are generally little to do with the questioning, they are the ones where the interviewee shows genuine emotion, not a robot answer.

The Charlie Austin one from a few years ago was a belter

Click here

I suppose it`s up to the interviewer to try to extract this but generally interviewers at our level are supporters of the club`s so it`s really not worth it.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: red-star-par  
Date:   Tue 21 Dec 21:54

Quote:

Jeffery, Tue 21 Dec 21:42

For me the interviews that stick in the mind are generally little to do with the questioning, they are the ones where the interviewee shows genuine emotion, not a robot answer.

The Charlie Austin one from a few years ago was a belter

Click here

I suppose it`s up to the interviewer to try to extract this but generally interviewers at our level are supporters of the club`s so it`s really not worth it.

I forgot about that one, that is a classic. That`s what you want to see, someone with a bit passion

https://youtu.be/AdxZjRHq2SM
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: sammer  
Date:   Wed 22 Dec 00:19

That Austin interview is as bad as any other. Gnarled by self pity, blaming the referee and throwing out cliches like `done and dusted` or the more bizarre `big game at Fulham coming up.` Fulham? In what he later calls `the best league in the world.`

sammer
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net