DAFC.net
Home 28 November 2022 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Maloney appointed at Hibs
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Mon 20 Dec 12:35

From the BBC :-

Shaun Maloney has been appointed Hibernian manager on a three-and-a-half-year deal. The former Celtic and Scotland player, 38, leaves his role as Belgium assistant to replace Jack Ross and take on his first managerial job. Maloney`s first game in charge will be the Scottish Premiership visit of Aberdeen on Wednesday
and he will be assisted by his former team-mate Gary Caldwell, who leaves his post at Manchester City`s academy. Caldwell, 39, played at Hibs before joining Celtic and later managed Wigan, Chesterfield and Partick Thistle.

David Gray, 33, took interim charge of Hibernian for three games, including Sunday`s Scottish League Cup final defeat by Celtic. Hibs are seventh in the Premiership, a point behind Aberdeen. Gray will remain as part of the backroom team along with goalkeeping coach Craig Samson.

[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Maloney appointed at Hibs
Topic Originator: da_no_1  
Date:   Mon 20 Dec 12:55

That`s a huge gamble.

"Some days will stay a 1000 years, some pass like the flash of a spark"
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: dd23  
Date:   Mon 20 Dec 13:49

A long contract too. Not many get that. Hopefully he can improve Nisbet and make us a quick million.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Mon 20 Dec 13:50

It was interesting to read Yogi`s views on the appointment. I presume these were given in midweek when Maloney was being tipped as the new manager. I wonder if he thinks Gary Caldwell fits the bill as his assistant?

Former Hibernian manager John Hughes :-

`He`s a quiet kind of guy, but he`s a football guy. But you need that personality and if it`s not you that`s doing that you need a number two that can laugh at himself, get a bit of fun, and knows the game and is a good coach. If it is Shaun Maloney, his number two will be important.`

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: McCaig`s Tower  
Date:   Mon 20 Dec 15:06

Interesting - going down the promising but inexperienced route.

I would agree it is a gamble (especially the length of contract) but not a huge one. Hibs are unlikely to be relegated this year and so he may have a bit of time to lay the foundations to implement his vision (but I imagine Jack Ross was doing that).

What are realistic expectations? You are doing pretty well at Easter Road if you finish 3rd and get to a Cup Final, which is what JR achieved.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Bovril Man  
Date:   Tue 21 Dec 00:29

That just sounds like Yogi promoting himself as #2 material! Maloney has been working with some of the best players in the world with Belgium - I’m sure he has his own views as to what success looks like.

In saying that, he’ll probably only get 12 months before being fired, and Hibs’ll be up for another big payoff. The people running that club these days are pretty clueless, but it’s Ron Gordon’s money to throw away, I suppose.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Stanza  
Date:   Tue 21 Dec 10:40

Maloney must have learned a lot with 3 years on the Belgian coaching team, and I think it`s a good appointment, better than taking someone from the usual merry-go-round of managers sacked somewhere else.

If he does well at Hibs then he`ll have a decent chance for the Celtic job in a couple of years, following the route taken by Stein Mowbray and Lennon.

Longer term I think he`ll have his eye on a move down south, or maybe the Scotland job.

Support Dunfermline Athletic Disabled Supporters` Club when you shop online with one of 7000 retailers, insurance firms etc
http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/dadsc
Or donate £5 - text "DADSC" to 70970
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: General Zod  
Date:   Tue 21 Dec 12:21

Hope he does well but I’m no sure about Caldwell. He’s meant to be a bit of a big head. I don’t think modern footballers respond to arrogance well. Especially from a very unremarkable player.

[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net