DAFC.net
Home 09 December 2022 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Scottish Premiership Winter Break
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Sun 26 Dec 08:28

We`ve had a good debate about our club`s decision to play its next two home games behind closed doors on another thread and some of us have even been convinced by the compelling argument of others that perhaps the club should have explored ways to allow some of us to attend.

I was very surprised that the majority of Championship clubs voted to continue playing in spite of the Covid restrictions imposed by the SG, but I`m even more mystified by the Premiership clubs preferred option. They had the choice of leaving their break as it was (after New Year ), start it before Boxing Day or delay it until after today. The 2nd option was voted through by a reported majority of 10 to 2. The two dissenters were Rangers and Ross Co. It`s not difficult to work out why the Ibrox club voted against it - they would have preferred to play at Parkhead in front of 500 Celtic fans.....

What I can`t fathom is why 10 clubs voted to play today, particularly the 6 clubs who are playing at home. The fixtures are:-

Aberdeen v Dundee
Dundee United v Hibs
Hearts v Ross Co.
Motherwell v Livingston
Rangers v St Mirren
St Johnstone v Celtic

Each of the 6 home clubs will lose a significant cash sum as a result of the democratic decision to play today. Perhaps some of you can enlighten me as to why 5 of the 6 home clubs give the impression of turkeys who voted for Christmas? 🤔

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Scottish Premiership Winter Break
Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks  
Date:   Sun 26 Dec 08:36

Could it be that money generated by streaming, regardless of how little compared to a home gate, would be a crucial from a cash flow point point of view with the next few weeks (minimum) producing none.

And although my eyes were open
They just might as well be closed
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: aaaaaaaaaargh  
Date:   Sun 26 Dec 08:45

Since they voted 10-2 I would imagine (perhaps wrongly) that they had good reasons to do this.

Maybe a lot of things were already prepared in advance for today, so cancelling would result in that money being wasted.

Most people going to games are season ticket holders so I suppose the clubs are banking on them not complaining or asking for refunds "for the good of the club".

TV and sponsorship money will still come in regardless of the fans in the stadium.

Maybe Rangers are the only club that stand to make a substantial loss today and the rest will more-or-less break even.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: dpard  
Date:   Sun 26 Dec 10:55

Neil Doncaster was on Sky during the week, explaining the decision, and it seemed that the 10 club`s voted not to play all 3 games.
However, there were only 2 dates free in the calender, so that is why they had to play today.
It will be interesting to see what they do with any forthcoming games that get cancelled.
They could conceivably end up playing Sat Tues Thurs Sun.

The flame still burns
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Sun 26 Dec 13:43

Quote:

dpard, Sun 26 Dec 10:55

Neil Doncaster was on Sky during the week, explaining the decision, and it seemed that the 10 club`s voted not to play all 3 games.
However, there were only 2 dates free in the calender, so that is why they had to play today.
It will be interesting to see what they do with any forthcoming games that get cancelled.

Ah, cheers for that, dpard. I missed my pal Neil`s explanation. He has my email - you`d think he could have dropped me a short message. 🙁

It makes much more sense now, though I`m sure they could have squeezed today`s games in at some point, albeit perhaps not all on the same day, as they do when individual games are postponed due to the weather etc.

As I said further up, it`s not difficult to work out why Rangers voted against, but not so easy for Ross Co. Is Roy McGregor a ST holder at Ibrox?

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: vasco  
Date:   Sun 26 Dec 13:58

The free dates in the calendar excuse is just cr@p.

That suggests that games called off due to clubs suffering covid infections or severe weather won`t be able to be played later.

I know there are EUFA rules about not playing on CL etc evenings but surely these will be relaxed during the pandemic to ensure fixtures can be completed before players` contracts finish.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: alwaysaPar  
Date:   Sun 26 Dec 14:42

Quote:

GG Riva, Sun 26 Dec 13:43

Quote:

dpard, Sun 26 Dec 10:55

Ah, cheers for that, dpard. I missed my pal Neil`s explanation. He has my email - you`d think he could have dropped me a short message. 🙁

It makes much more sense now, though I`m sure they could have squeezed today`s games in at some point, albeit perhaps not all on the same day, as they do when individual games are postponed due to the weather etc.

As I said further up, it`s not difficult to work out why Rangers voted against, but not so easy for Ross Co. Is Roy McGregor a ST holder at Ibrox?

Old Firm forum for this pash..........
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net