DAFC.net
Home 07 December 2022 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Who could we even sign realistically?
Topic Originator: RossDAFC  
Date:   Sun 26 Dec 21:31

Probably a question on most people lips after today - I think it`s pretty clear this is one of the worst squads we have assembled. But who would actually want to join us in our current predicament?

I think i`ve narrowed it down to 3 categories:

1 - players from league one downwards most likely of a younger profile to develop
2 - unfancied players from the Premiership, most likely confined to loan moves
3 - players from overseas given the relaxed ruling that was confirmed earlier this month, most likely from Germany given Meggle`s contacts.

Not sure which of these options is best really and from what Yogi`s implied we will need to shift on the deadwood somehow to bring players in. Really tough situation, especially given some of these players who can`t get a game for us are on 2 year deals...

[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Who could we even sign realistically?
Topic Originator: kelty_par  
Date:   Sun 26 Dec 21:37

Yogi likes "guid honest laddies" and extolls the Premiership experience of the likes of Dorrans and Connolly so I reckon it`ll be some journeymen types who are nearing the end of their careers at Premiership clubs. It`s a bit of a worry really. If we fan get a Martin Hardie type then great, but if it`s an Andy Campbell type then the 7B Derby v Kelty is a genuine possibility next season.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: JTH123  
Date:   Sun 26 Dec 21:37

Players from down south who for whatever reason aren`t making it in their lower leagues and fancy something different.
Speak to whoever found Nouble!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 26 Dec 21:47

JTH - sometimes works, sometimes doesn`t. Nouble was recommended as a direct replacement for JET who his brother is friends with. Feel like the good work of Crawford recruitment wise is being largely undone by going down this kind of route. Would rather see lads 22-25 with time to develop but have some game time under their belts unlike the young lads we`ve got in now.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 26 Dec 21:49

yep big worry Kelty Par, no hard work in our squad as it is let alone bloating it with journeymen looking for a last decent pay check

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: k76  
Date:   Sun 26 Dec 21:49

We need to shift the PG signings, why would anyone want them?

Full time wages that are are only good enough for partime football at best. Kelty would touch any of of squad players.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Sun 26 Dec 22:23

Yogi said in his post-match interview that most of the players will be here for the rest of the season. He spoke about `2 or 3` to help them but admitted the January transfer window is `precarious` as deals can fall through and sometimes you can`t get your first choices and your second choice may not be much of an improvement on what you`ve got.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: JTH123  
Date:   Sun 26 Dec 22:39

Take your point Ross but right now we most definitely have a squad (or at least a midfield) that doesn`t work so something needs to change.
Signing players is always a gamble and I`m not sure we have the luxury of limiting ourselves to younger ones. Although, as always, budget will play a large part and that might be where we end up.
[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: parathletic  
Date:   Sun 26 Dec 22:42

There`s no escaping the fact Peter Grant`s signings haven`t cut the mustard in the main but our midfield problems preceded him.

I think our over reliance on the loan market in recent seasons has come back to haunt us. I`m sure that in the shambles at Starks Park last season the whole midfield were loan players? Even if we sign a whole new midfield you can`t just throw them in and expect them to be a cohesive unit. I know player turnover is part and parcel of football at our level but East End has seemed like a revolving door at times over the last few seasons although with the current squad that needs to continue. In the last 3 and a half seasons we have had over 60 transfers and loans in!

Post Edited (Sun 26 Dec 23:17)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Row_ZZ  
Date:   Mon 27 Dec 00:33

There are plenty of players that we could sign. The problem is, everyone that is fighting for their lives in every league is also looking to do the same. We are a bit different in that we need to kind of treat this like a summer window and get rid of all the dross Grant signed to be replaced with players that can at least play in the Championship ffs. This has to be massive for us. It isn’t a “add one or two to strengthen the group” situation. We genuinely need to make at least 6 signings. We’ll be looking at frees and Premiership players that aren’t getting game time. We have to do something similar to Jack Ross at St Mirren in 2017. They released 11 players and signed 10. We have to do the same.

Get rid of Mehmet, demote OFW to the bench as emergency backup/coach and get the boy Dubrawski on loan from Hibs. That sorts the goalkeeper issue out. Get Connolly and Graham to feck back to United and get an experienced centre half to partner big Vytas. Breen should only be emergency back up as he is murder. Get rid of Jones while we’re at it. Signing Taylor-Sinclair will sort the left side out as Edwards simply can’t defend. Comrie one of the few that I’d keep but he hasn’t been good this year at all.

Midfield is a total shambles and this is the position we desperately need to get right the most. Pybus and Cole (not that he is even fit) are both utter fecking dross. Just get them told to find a new club and sell them for £0 to some League 1 jobbers just to get them off the payroll.

We need to be ruthless in January. We can’t afford to pussyfoot about. Yogi will have assessed everyone and he’ll know who isn’t good enough. That’s probably the only positive is that he has been here a month before January starts to assess the squad. At Raith he had to work with what Locke left him.

I Know There's Gonna Be (Good Times)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: onandupthepars  
Date:   Mon 27 Dec 01:02

Ref: wee eck
Sun 26 Dec 22:23

>Yogi said in his post-match interview that most of the players will be here for the rest of the season. He spoke about `2 or 3` to help them but admitted the January transfer window is `precarious.....

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Like you Eck I think when Yogi says `2 or 3,` I think what he means is `2 or 3,` not 6 or 7 or wholesale changes. That really seems to be it, regardless of how many players anyone else thinks we should `bin` and how many we should `get in`.

I think he believes 2 or 3 of the right sort - good motivators? - streetwise? - organisers on the pitch - leaders? maybe that`s the kind of player he`s looking for.

And that`s about the only hope I can think of for us just now - that we might get somebody who can stamp their authority on a game. I think even one good leader might be a help.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DulochConvert  
Date:   Mon 27 Dec 01:08

The idea that we can pay off 11 players and then sign 11 more seems ludicrous! Our board are not willing to pay for 6 stewards to let 500 fans in!

Unfortunately having watched us against every team once and most twice I can’t see us finishing above 9th.
The game against Hamilton we were robbed by a possible draw. Otherwise I don’t recall a result that wasn’t correct.
We have to accept the remaining season is going to be a grind with the players we have plus possibly a few loans in the last year in contracts.

Kia I presume will be recalled to the Rangers Colts (I have zero knowledge how they work with the lowland)

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: evo!  
Date:   Mon 27 Dec 08:00

Dunno who we sign, i can barley think of who we need to keep.

BEAST!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Milos Drizzle  
Date:   Mon 27 Dec 09:10

Wouldn`t want to be the manager or on the board of DAFC right now. That one disastrous, bizarre decision to bring Grant in could put us in a tailspin for the next two or three seasons. Hang on for the ride, folks...

This is my signature
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: kelty_par  
Date:   Mon 27 Dec 10:00

Falkirk are in a desperate state, maybe they can take some of out players off our hands!

Keeper is probably the least pressing issue - I`d rather OFW was backup to a decent keeper rather than him being first choice with Mehmet in reserve but it is what it is. Full back isn`t great but we can probably muddle through. A commanding centre back would be good, as would playing arguably our best defender in Gaspuitis.

Midfield is the area needing most attention. It kinda depends on how Hughes wants to set up, but a ball winner to do the ugly stuff would be nice as would a box to box type who could be a goal threat since we don`t look like scoring from open play. Thomas when fit will play on one side but the other depends on whether he thinks Kennedy can play there (and if he stays), or whether he tries to shoehorn Dow or O`Hara or McDonald (!) pr Todd (!!) there.

The forward areas shouldn`t be a problem with Wighton, O`Hara and Todarov all capable at this level and McCann showing occasional promise but if we could get a goalscorer then fantastic.

If it is only "2 or 3" then I hope it is 2 good midfielders and a centre half, but I worry that we`ll see a lot of the current underperforming players continue to get regular game time.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DrumRoad  
Date:   Mon 27 Dec 10:12

Topic Originator: parathletic
Date: Sun 26 Dec 22:42

“In the last 3 and a half seasons we have had over 60 transfers and loans in!”

That appears on the surface to be a worrying stat if true, no way can you have a settled side with that many short term changes

2015/16 League one Winners
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: CrossPar  
Date:   Mon 27 Dec 11:18

Ian Campbell spoke about how they have built a team at Arbroath over the last few years. We start every season with a completely different team. Unfortunately for us, it has been getting back progressively worse every time.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: king lad  
Date:   Mon 27 Dec 11:53

I blame this season more on the midfield which has been a problem for this club for how many years now? We have no consistency year to year in the spine of our team and it`s killing us.

I felt we had some decent foundations from when Crawford left the club and just needed a few quality additions to strengthen upon a 4th place finish. Instead Grant brought in some truly awful signings that have probably set the club back a couple of years. We have to find a way to stay up this season and then come up with a plan to exponentially improve recruitment in the summer.

January will not be easy to find quality to come in and improve us as a team, but I`m hoping we can find at least a couple of experienced premiership players (they may have to be loans for fringe players not getting a game) to come in and lift the sqaud, because right now the squad we have has little chance of avoiding the drop
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: da_no_1  
Date:   Mon 27 Dec 12:12

It would be good if we as a support could settle for consistency in the squad year on year.

Unfortunately as soon as the season ends the panic sets in and its soon the end of the world if we haven`t made multiple signings within the first week.

"Some days will stay a 1000 years, some pass like the flash of a spark"
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: evo!  
Date:   Mon 27 Dec 12:38

Greg Tansey i dont think has a club, and player under Hughes

BEAST!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: CrossPar  
Date:   Mon 27 Dec 12:38

Quote:

da_no_1, Mon 27 Dec 12:12

It would be good if we as a support could settle for consistency in the squad year on year.

Unfortunately as soon as the season ends the panic sets in and its soon the end of the world if we haven`t made multiple signings within the first week.

It`s not the fans fault that the manager signs poor players!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Berkey  
Date:   Mon 27 Dec 13:00

No more raw youngsters please, even those from the premier league look way off the pace at this level.

We’re in the fortunate position that even the most average of players would improve us.

We need at least 2 midfielders and a winger. I would like to think if we got them in and when Thomas back we might be okay, this is dependant on yogi attempting to use the experienced strikers we actually have instead of putting a team out which reminds me of when we were in admin and the youngsters were thrown in regardless.

Things will be looking up……..now yogi is gone!

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: neils  
Date:   Mon 27 Dec 13:00

I can`t see how we can possibly `sell players to league one dross` due to the fact 1/ no one buys anyone never mind players who are not of standard, not shame in not being good enough, but it`s clear. 2/it doesn`t sit right speaking in these terms, but it`s true- the only way they can leave is if we pay off the contracts....

We can`t be having a clear out, as in the transfer window, there are almost no players of standard available.

Its clear midfield is the horror show, and we will do well to get a couple mobile ball winners in (who?) Otherwise we simply are down, forwards have no service and defence is stretched ludicrously, which is where mistakes come from.

The other areas for me we can muddle along more or less.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Kessel  
Date:   Mon 27 Dec 13:06

Quote:

So it`s the fans fault that the manager signs absolutely honking players. That makes sense right enough.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: da_no_1  
Date:   Mon 27 Dec 13:10

Quote:

Kessel, Mon 27 Dec 13:06

Quote:

So it`s the fans fault that the manager signs absolutely honking players. That makes sense right enough.

That`s not what I meant. But you knew that.

"Some days will stay a 1000 years, some pass like the flash of a spark"
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: PARrot  
Date:   Mon 27 Dec 13:23

Well I recon we just need 2 or 3 in this window. Sort out the midfield and the strikers we have are enough to escape relegation. The defence would do ok if we had a decent midfield too.

Thats all we need for safety this year. Total rebuild next summer.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: neils  
Date:   Mon 27 Dec 14:44

Pretty much right there, Parrot, we have good players who are trying, just a horribly imbalanced team, if somehow we can get something midfield wise sorted, the rest I`m not worried, we can stay up.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Pars For Europe  
Date:   Mon 27 Dec 14:55

From a hunt around Transfermarkt. No idea if these guys would be good enough or their wage level, just looking at who is out there with experience at CM who might be looking for a move.

CM Robbie Crawford 27 Motherwell - coming back from ankle injury, contract expires end of season

CM Melker Hallberg 26 Hibs - coming back from knee injury and contract expires end of season

CM Dylan McGeouch 28 Aberdeen - not getting a game and contract expires end of season

CM Craig Bryson 35 St J - back from injury and in the first team but they are losing game after game so may move him on. Contract expires end of season
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG4  
Date:   Mon 27 Dec 14:57

Goalkeeper, left back (if Martin doesn`t recover), a centre back (if Connelly departs), a defensive midfielder, a box to box midfielder, a versatile winger and a striker too if Todorov can be moved on.

Cole, Jones and Graham first 3 to get terminated.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: nick_dafc1  
Date:   Mon 27 Dec 15:03

Quote:

GG4, Mon 27 Dec 14:57

Goalkeeper, left back (if Martin doesn`t recover), a centre back (if Connelly departs), a defensive midfielder, a box to box midfielder, a versatile winger and a striker too if Todorov can be moved on.

Cole, Jones and Graham first 3 to get terminated.

I can just imagine Cole and Jones agreeing to terminate. They aren`t going anywhere unless another club wants to take on their contract which seems highly doubtful.

We can only get loans or players other clubs don`t want, even then SPL clubs won`t let players go until they get replacements in.

January is very difficult to find players as the majority are under contract. We will be lucky if we find 3 players to come into the squad. A defensive midfielder, a winger and one other would be a bonus.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: red-star-par  
Date:   Mon 27 Dec 16:23

Quote:

evo!, Mon 27 Dec 08:00

I`m sure Yogi will be able to sort the wheat from the chaff
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: SeasonedPar  
Date:   Mon 27 Dec 16:33

Hopefully the lesson of consistency has been
learned. There’s a glass ceiling trying to get promoted from this dogeatdogleague, unless you’ve the money of sevco, hearts, Dundee teams, Ross County.

No blame, we tried to match with loanees, but building a squad with continuity is a priority, with younger prospects then coming through in a winning team to supplement that squad for the SPFL. It’s looking a long term build and job!

Post Edited (Mon 27 Dec 16:34)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Gaz3822  
Date:   Mon 27 Dec 16:42

I really don`t think there`s enough time left in this season for the players to find enough confidence to become a decent footballing side, playing well enough to string 3 or 4 winning results together, even with 3 January signings. There`s no real quality available in Jan generally just guys you end up bringing in and hope for the best with.

Also, will 3 or 4 `quality` players want to be slogging away at the bottom end of this division with relegation a very real threat...I don`t think so.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 27 Dec 16:46

Quote:

Gaz3822, Mon 27 Dec 16:42

I really don`t think there`s enough time left in this season for the players to find enough confidence to become a decent footballing side, playing well enough to string 3 or 4 winning results together, even with 3 January signings. There`s no real quality available in Jan generally just guys you end up bringing in and hope for the best with.

Also, will 3 or 4 `quality` players want to be slogging away at the bottom end of this division with relegation a very real threat...I don`t think so.

Yup. It’s about survival now
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DBP  
Date:   Mon 27 Dec 17:09

Genuine question, do we need more players or do we need to motivate, organise and send the players we have out with clear instructions and understanding of their role and match strategy?

I’ll ask another question, if we had signed the entire Arbroath team pre season, do we think would we be top of league?

Post Edited (Mon 27 Dec 17:09)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 27 Dec 17:14

Good qs. The current squad aren’t good enough overall

I don’t know if anyone has ever signed a full squad from another team - ever. Where’s the statos?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Mon 27 Dec 17:51

Who could we sign realistically? How about Steven Lawless?

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Berkey  
Date:   Mon 27 Dec 17:57

Dbp we need better players, no club would do well in this league putting a team out every week that is missing 5-6 first teamers

That’s effectively what we are currently doing.

Things will be looking up……..now yogi is gone!

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: onandupthepars  
Date:   Mon 27 Dec 21:20

Ref: red-star-par
Mon 27 Dec 16:23

>Quote:

evo!, Mon 27 Dec 08:00

I`m sure Yogi will be able to sort the wheat from the chaff

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Could be a grain o` truth in it.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: bannerpar  
Date:   Tue 28 Dec 12:24

For a bit of creativity I would like to see us make enquiries for Scott Allan of Hibs or Ewan Henderson, Celtic. Both spend most of their time on the bench and both have contracts up on 31st May. They might want to play regularly somewhere to put themselves in the shop window although no doubt we would have been in a stronger position had we been challenging at the top instead of where we are.

[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net