DAFC.net
Home 04 December 2022 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 One from the archives
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Mon 27 Dec 23:19

A group of Hearts stalwarts from the 1960`s - with a trio of past/future Pars (two sadly no longer with us) holding up the bar.

The fella at the right in bow tie is presumably the barman.

Post Edited (Mon 27 Dec 23:23)
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: One from the archives
Topic Originator: Angus_W  
Date:   Tue 28 Dec 00:33

Willie Duff & Roy Barry……..

“.........your on mute Jordan” 😀
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: RhinoPars  
Date:   Tue 28 Dec 06:47

Alun Anderson the centre half in between Willie Duff and Roy Barry ?

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Tue 28 Dec 09:34

Is that Bobby Kirk second from the right? I think he had a short spell with the Pars.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: sammer  
Date:   Tue 28 Dec 09:40

I think second from the right is Don Kerrigan.

The photo is probably from around 1966. Alan Anderson owned a bar called The Pivot, in a side street off North Bridge in Edinburgh. It was quite a small boozer and that might be it. Not sure why Willie Duff is there since he`d left Hearts years earlier; maybe just fancied a free pint.

sammer
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 28 Dec 09:50

Duff, Barry and Kerrigan were all on Dunfermline`s books in 1967-68 so it might have been a reunion with Alan Anderson at his pub.

Legend has it that prior to Hearts losing 7-0 to Hibs on New Year`s Day a couple of Hearts players had enjoyed a lock-in at `The Pivot` and were the worse for wear.

sammer
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 28 Dec 09:57

You`re probably right, sammer. Bobby Kirk was from a slightly earlier era and, having done some research, I see he had a longer spell with the Pars than I thought, starting his career at EEP before joining the Rovers and then Hearts.

I remember when Alan Anderson opened `The Pivot`. It was on Infirmary Street with Thin`s bookshop (now Blackwell`s) on the opposite corner. I think there`s still a pub there but with a different name.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 28 Dec 10:20

If that is Bobby Kirk, and also if my source is correct - then only Alan Anderson (and the barman !!!) did not play for the Pars.

Left to right Jimmy Wardhaugh (so I`m told), Willie Duff, Alan Anderson, Roy Barry, Bobby Kirk and barman.

The accompanying note says it may be "The Norhet" in Davidsons Mains - he supplied another photo of Alan Anderson in "The Pivot" which has a quite different layout.

I can post it here if anybody is interested.

I don`t think that`s Don Kerrigan.

Bobby Kirk`s short spell at EEP was 1947-53 !!!

Post Edited (Tue 28 Dec 10:28)
[IP address logged]
-
Date:   Tue 28 Dec 10:52

I should have recognised Jimmy Wardhaugh. If it was taken around the mid-60s he would be retired by then and working as a journalist. I did correct myself over Bobby Kirk`s `brief spell` with the Pars.

Maybe Roy could shed some light on the identity of the players and the pub.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 28 Dec 11:04

After checking some old photos I think the line up is indeed:

Wardhaugh, Duff, Anderson, Barry, Kirk and AN Other.

Here`s a photo inside Anderson`s bar `The Pivot.` The two customers look like gangsters that have come to collect the week`s protection money, but the one on the bar stool is probably Eddie Thomson who played alongside Anderson for a few years.

Post Edited (Tue 28 Dec 11:06)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: dave67  
Date:   Tue 28 Dec 11:17

During the 1960s, The Royal Oak was owned by the former Heart of Midlothian footballer Alan Anderson, though during his time there, it was called `The Pivot`.[citation needed] It gained a reputation as a folk music venue after Dorothy Taylor took over the pub in 1978, which she ran alongside her sister Sandra – a former star of The White Heather Club TV Show – until 2003[4], when the current licensee Heather Mckenzie took over.[1]

In 2008, Magic Park Records recorded and released an album featuring musicians from the Royal Oak, entitled `The Royal Oak: Best of Folk`[5] and The Royal Oak`s resident folk club (The Wee Folk Club) was awarded `Club of the Year` at the annual Scots Trad Music Awards.[6]

The Royal Oak features in Ian Rankin`s `Set in Darkness`, an Inspector Rebus novel. The scene is – according to Rankin – his favourite of all the pub scenes in the Rebus series.[7]

Let`s try making it till Christmas
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 28 Dec 12:16

Nice one Sammer - that is the other photo I flagged up.

I`m with you on Eddie Thomson, now that you mention him - 99.9% sure it`s him seated.

He played in central defence alongside Alan Anderson regularly, including the 1968 cup final of blessed memory.

Described as `robust` in Daily Record speak - opposition fans were far less euphamistic !!!

Anderson`s shop was indeed named "The Pivot" during his tenure according to my source.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Tue 28 Dec 12:21

Good post vee and great thread guys .. enjoying all the info

We are forever shaped by the Children we once were
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 28 Dec 12:32

Eddie Thomson scored an o.g. for Hearts the week before the 1968 Cup Final and wasn`t chosen on the day. The Thomson who wore the number 5 shirt was Arthur Thomson, who trod on Cruickshank`s ankle at a corner and reduced the keeper`s mobility.

George Miller played next to big Thomson in defence with Alan Anderson being punted into midfield. An odd decision but good news for Hugh Robertson and Tommy Callaghan.

The fair haired character in the bar photo looks like a character actor out of `Taggart` but might be Wilson Wood who played for Rangers and Hearts.

sammer
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 28 Dec 12:52

Well corrected - never knew it was not Eddie Thomson in Hearts lineup in the cup final.

Just been reading a Jam Tarts forum - somebody thought that the other figure standing behind ET is Willie Woodburn.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 28 Dec 13:30

I think it might well be Willie Woodburn, who owned a garage in the west of Edinburgh. Once described as a man `containing a deep reservoir of violence.`
Not a bar you would want to make trouble in with that three on the premises.

sammer
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: LochgellyAlbert  
Date:   Tue 28 Dec 14:16

When I started working in Edinburgh 1968, opposite our office in Lothian Road was Andersons pub, with the Copper Kettle lounge in the basement.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: MDCCCLXXXV  
Date:   Tue 28 Dec 14:52

It looks like a scene from the original Oceans Eleven😀

East End Park is a symbol of all that is DAFC.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 28 Dec 16:15

I don`t think Andersons pub in Lothian Road had any connection with Alan Anderson of Hearts, LA.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: LochgellyAlbert  
Date:   Tue 28 Dec 16:55

Quote:

wee eck, Tue 28 Dec 16:15

I don`t think Andersons pub in Lothian Road had any connection with Alan Anderson of Hearts, LA.

Had a big connection to my underage hangovers!

Oh the days of being a rich Civil Servant, surrounded by attractive females!🤔😷🤣🤣🤣
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: McCaig`s Tower  
Date:   Tue 28 Dec 18:04

Willie Woodburn was infamous for being the last player banned "sine die" in the UK. I think he was sent off 4 times which was a lot in those days.

The bar in Infirmary Street is back to being the Royal Oak afaik, although Thin`s ain`t what they used to be...

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 28 Dec 22:25

It was the violent nature of Woodburn`s sendings off that produced the Sine Dine verdict at his disciplinary hearing, rather than the number of dismissals - and it rested on the casting vote of the chairman.

It was rescinded after 3 years - but too late for the ageing Woodburn to return to top grade domestic football.

Post Edited (Wed 29 Dec 08:57)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 28 Dec 22:53

I think there were two head butts in his four sendings off, albeit the last two were in retaliation. Rangers fans rage against the sine die verdict and they have a point, but Woodburn had been warned at the previous hearing that if he did not mend his ways it could be serious for him.

His last two sendings off came in short succession against Rangers bitterest rivals.... Stirling Albion! The last one came in the 89th minute when Woodburn, nursing a nee injury, had his legs whacked from behind. I suspect Woodburn, aged 34, was starting to become frustrated at his declining powers. He had suffered a 6-0 hammering from Aberdeen in a Scottish Cup semi final in between these two sendings off.

It was still a brutal judgment. I can remember Alex Edwards getting six week bans in the 1970s, so he fared slightly better. But even at 37, when the ban was rescinded, Woodburn was probably fit enough to play top level football. He was a terrific build for a centre half, lean and muscular and that was true into his 50s. Maybe he didn`t want to be less than what he had been and also I think the whole affair sickened him a bit. I knew an apprentice car mechanic who worked in Woodburn`s garage and he said the motivation was very much along Jock Wallace lines! A dig in the ribs followed by an affectionate arm on the shoulder.

sammer
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 29 Dec 11:12

Anderson and Thomson turned out for Hearts for their New Year derby 1973 - a much cherished memory for Hibee fans !!!

Jim Herriot was in Hibs goal - spent most of the game as a spectator.

[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net