DAFC.net
Home 06 December 2022 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Mark Connoly
Topic Originator: tappies par  
Date:   Tue 28 Dec 00:15

Does anyone know if Mark Connoly is due to return to Dundee United his parent club in January? Here’s hoping we can extend his stay if he’s due back. Be good if we could keep him for the season. Hate to think of how bad we could have been without him. For me one of the best players and will be a big loss.

[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Mark Connoly
Topic Originator: LEGEND85  
Date:   Tue 28 Dec 00:49

not for me he can go back to utd
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: SergioDuarte  
Date:   Tue 28 Dec 01:32

I would definitely want to keep a hold of him.
Best defender at the club.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Raymie the Legend  
Date:   Tue 28 Dec 08:28

Quote:

LEGEND85, Tue 28 Dec 00:49

not for me he can go back to utd

Whilst he has his weaknesses, he’s easily our best centre back

It's bloody tough being a legend
Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Tue 28 Dec 09:14

Pretty solid imo. Most importantly he is vocal and seems like a leader.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 28 Dec 09:35

The way he jumped out of the way for the second goal at the weekend was terrible.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parsfan97  
Date:   Tue 28 Dec 10:16

If he were to go back, and the way gasputis has been dropped, I would dread to see what we would be like without him

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Row_ZZ  
Date:   Tue 28 Dec 10:34

Gaspuitis wouldn’t have jumped out the way of that second goal. Sometimes you just need defenders that are hard and do the basics. Connolly is good at distribution but is found wanting in a good few other aspects.

I wouldn’t like to see him extend his loan. Graham will definitely be back to Dundee United as will Kennedy to Rangers. We should use those loans on players that have fell out of favour in the Premiership with good Championship experience.

That would leave us with Gaspuitis, Breen, Jones as the centre halves. Scary stuff. Hopefully Yogi is looking to move on Jones to free a wage and get a no nonsense, experienced centre half to partner Gaspuitis. Like I say, you just need hard men in there at times to do the basics when your in our situation.

I Know There's Gonna Be (Good Times)
[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: Jacko Par42  
Date:   Tue 28 Dec 15:58

I’d keep Connolly, as others have said he’s the best CB we have and he wasn’t the only one who s**t it for Arbroath’s 2nd goal the so called captain turned his back too

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 28 Dec 16:55

This post is about the defender though and his main job is to block shots and he failed to do that.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Bamba-Daft  
Date:   Tue 28 Dec 17:17

To be fair to Connolly.. the one thing he’s been good at is throwing himself in front of things. Against QOTS he was getting stuck right in and took a couple of sore ones.. no excusing the defending of that second Arbroath goal though.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: CrossPar  
Date:   Tue 28 Dec 17:18

Quote:

LEGEND85, Tue 28 Dec 16:55

This post is about the defender though and his main job is to block shots and he failed to do that.

So he didn`t cover himself in glory there. Doesn`t detract from the fact that he has been our best central defender since he arrived.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: par-91  
Date:   Tue 28 Dec 18:20

I think Gaspuitis is a better defender. Even ignoring that potential debate though, I honestly don’t understand the obsession with Connolly. He wins headers and is passionate, but he’s regularly caught out of position and caught out with balls over the top, with no mobility to make the ground up again. Also seems to misjudge a lot of challenges and make poor decisions with the ball. I think there will be better defenders available, if he leaves.

If United look for a fee or more money towards wages, I don’t think he’s worth it.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Paralex  
Date:   Tue 28 Dec 23:51

Connolly for me, the best defender we`ve had this season, by a long way. In several home games and the away league game at Partick Thistle he was an absolute rock. Why wouldn`t we want to keep him?

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: RossDAFC  
Date:   Tue 28 Dec 23:58

He`s the best ball winner and progressive passer from the back. Problem is he doesn`t have a partner to compliment what he can`t do which is essentially someone who can cover him with pace whilst also being able to play out too. At the same time if we get priced out of a move i`m sure there will be other options. Send back Graham, release Leon Jones and take it from there.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: sammer  
Date:   Wed 29 Dec 00:24

I can only judge by highlights and what fans say, but Connelly seems the best bet at centre back. Gaspuitis, despite what Yogi claims, is actually that rare creature: a defender who can tackle with either foot. That does not make him a good player- many great defenders have been very one footed- but it rather contradicts his reasons for not playing the Lithuanian.

Graham had a horrorshow at Ayr but he has only played in a Peter Grant- please play behind our wing backs- back three. If Gaspuitis is not to Hughes` taste- and Hughes was a very good centre back in his time- then what about left footed Graham next to Connelly in a back four? His confidence was shot under Grant but is he not worth a try under Hughes? He can play out of defence, allegedly, which is what Hughes is looking for.

That makes for a smoother transition to Edwards and midfield and means we might be able to play the only player who looks like he has a goal in him: O`Hara.

sammer
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: dd23  
Date:   Wed 29 Dec 03:18

We can’t just “send back” Graham or any other loanees. We have signed a contract to take him for the year and this can only be undone by mutual consent. Dundee Utd May agree if they realise he won’t get any game time with us and they could loan him straight back out to a league 1 club, but without that agreement he’s staying.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: kelty_par  
Date:   Wed 29 Dec 15:08

"Graham had a horrorshow at Ayr"

Let`s not try and pretend that was his only one - he was murder in the two home games that kicked off our season (I wasn`t at Morton but heard he wasn`t great then either).

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: eastendalloapar  
Date:   Wed 29 Dec 18:39

In all honesty I don`t think he will stay.

matt forsyth
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Row_ZZ  
Date:   Wed 29 Dec 21:07

Connolly will probably be the only loan we`ll keep on.

Kennedy will be costing us too much just to sit on the bench. It will be a case of saying to Rangers "Look, it just isn`t happening for the boy at the club. If you can take him back and re-loan as he won`t be getting very many games for his development" Rangers can`t be happy that he has barely played kicked a ball all season either. Graham? Same again. He isn`t getting game time, which Dundee United won`t be happy about either, so it`ll be a case of re-loaning him as well - to League 1 because the boy is absolutely horrendous.

I Know There's Gonna Be (Good Times)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: PARrot  
Date:   Thu 30 Dec 09:16

Quote:

Row_ZZ, Wed 29 Dec 21:07

Connolly will probably be the only loan we`ll keep on.

Kennedy will be costing us too much just to sit on the bench. It will be a case of saying to Rangers "Look, it just isn`t happening for the boy at the club. If you can take him back and re-loan as he won`t be getting very many games for his development" Rangers can`t be happy that he has barely played kicked a ball all season either. Graham? Same again. He isn`t getting game time, which Dundee United won`t be happy about either, so it`ll be a case of re-loaning him as well - to League 1 because the boy is absolutely horrendous.

He isn`t horrendous. He is a decent player.
It hasnt worked out for him here and he has made a few mistakes.
Probably kick on somewhere else and do well.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: da_no_1  
Date:   Thu 30 Dec 10:55

I honestly think we make loan players worse somehow. Struggling to think of any who`ve improved during their time with us? Feel free to correct me!

"Some days will stay a 1000 years, some pass like the flash of a spark"
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: gordi-b  
Date:   Thu 30 Dec 11:03

I thought Ewan Henderson, was one of our better loans , still at parkhead and had a couple of sub appearances

G.B
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Westies squint kicks  
Date:   Thu 30 Dec 11:07

da_no_1 wrote:

> I honestly think we make loan players worse somehow. Struggling
> to think of any who`ve improved during their time with us? Feel
> free to correct me!
>
>

Players from last season who looked very ordinary seem to be more than holding their own in 1st teams. Scott Banks who had shown flashes of ability even made it to the Palace bench for the Premier League opener against Chelsea after impressing Viera pre-season, he couldn’t secure a start here.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Berkey  
Date:   Thu 30 Dec 13:26

Who knew young raw inexperienced lightweight loans would struggle with the physically nature of this league.

Is the problem that we’re bringing them in when they are a bit too raw for the level we need from them and we should be trying to bring them in when they have at least a year or 2’s loan experience at this level?

Even Kennedy who has been around a few clubs now has only played 40 first team games.

This league is highly competitive and each team has a 2-3 youngsters supplementing a mostly experienced first 11. We’re going out with a few experienced players mostly supplementing a young raw first 11.

Things will be looking up……..now yogi is gone!

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 30 Dec 14:18

The problem with loanees is they typically go back and then we lose all the experience of working with the permanent signings.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 30 Dec 15:45

Berkey I challenge you to name a midfield you`d be content with at the end of January. You`ve moaned about our midfield since the dawn of time

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 30 Dec 17:57

Quote:

da_no_1, Thu 30 Dec 15:45

Berkey I challenge you to name a midfield you`d be content with at the end of January. You`ve moaned since the dawn of time

Fixed that for you.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 30 Dec 18:25

Quote:

jake89, Thu 30 Dec 17:57

Quote:

da_no_1, Thu 30 Dec 15:45

Berkey I challenge you to name a midfield you`d be content with at the end of January. You`ve moaned since the dawn of time

Fixed that for you.

😁😁

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Andrew283  
Date:   Thu 30 Dec 19:50

Tbf, our midfield is absolutely stinking
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 30 Dec 20:39

Quote:

Andrew283, Thu 30 Dec 19:50

Tbf, our midfield is absolutely stinking

Missing the point

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Kdy Par  
Date:   Thu 30 Dec 23:30

Going by the article in the Courier, Kennedy and Graham will be heading back to their parents clubs. No mention of Connolly.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: The moose  
Date:   Fri 31 Dec 00:17

Quote:

Kdy Par, Thu 30 Dec 23:30

Going by the article in the Courier, Kennedy and Graham will be heading back to their parents clubs. No mention of Connolly.

Let connelly go back to United.
Below average defender.

BCM
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: nick_dafc1  
Date:   Fri 31 Dec 07:42

Quote:

The moose, Fri 31 Dec 00:17

Quote:

Below average defender.

If you think we can get better than him you`re dreaming. That`s why we signed players like Jones.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: The moose  
Date:   Fri 31 Dec 10:11

Quote:

nick_dafc1, Fri 31 Dec 07:42

Quote:

The moose, Fri 31 Dec 00:17

Quote:

Below average defender.

If you think we can get better than him you`re dreaming. That`s why we signed players like Jones.

Oh well, opions vary.

BCM
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Indiapar  
Date:   Fri 31 Dec 17:26

I would keep him above the other loan players. I don`t think he is single handedly responsible for the poor defending. JH has inherited some of these issues from PG but PG didn`t have much opportunity to bring in players after SCs resignation. It will perhaps be more difficult for JH to attract players given we are struggling at the bottom of the league. Who would be a football manager...on reflection the club has been in a bit of turmoil over the last few years. Short term signings, managers coming and going, and reliance on loan players. Hopefully the development of young players will offer longer term success.

Post Edited (Fri 31 Dec 17:28)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DBA  
Date:   Fri 31 Dec 17:28

Quote:

Indiapar, Fri 31 Dec 17:26

I would keep him above the other loan players. I don`t think he is single handedly responsible for the poor defending. JH has inherited some of these issues from PG but PG didn`t have much opportunity to bring in players after SCs resignation. It will perhaps be more difficult for JH to attract players given we are struggling at the bottom of the league. Who would be a football manager...on reflection the club has been in a bit of turmoil over the last few years. Short term sigings, managers coming and going, and reliance on loan players. Hopefully the development of young players will offer longer term success.

I`m a bit lost - how did PG not have much opportunity to bring in players? He was appointed in May!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Indiapar  
Date:   Fri 31 Dec 18:09

Quote:

DBA, Fri 31 Dec 17:28

Quote:

Indiapar, Fri 31 Dec 17:26

I would keep him above the other loan players. I don`t think he is single handedly responsible for the poor defending. JH has inherited some of these issues from PG but PG didn`t have much opportunity to bring in players after SCs resignation. It will perhaps be more difficult for JH to attract players given we are struggling at the bottom of the league. Who would be a football manager...on reflection the club has been in a bit of turmoil over the last few years. Short term sigings, managers coming and going, and reliance on loan players. Hopefully the development of young players will offer longer term success.

I`m a bit lost - how did PG not have much opportunity to bring in players? He was appointed in May!

If it was me, I would be looking at players from January onwards. No doubt the cut and thrust of the transfer market in May would have made it a bit of a lottery.

Post Edited (Fri 31 Dec 18:09)
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net