DAFC.net
Home 05 July 2022 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Dafc.net, a force for good?
Topic Originator: 1970par  
Date:   Fri 7 Jan 13:02

Recently there has been a lot of negativity and some bad feeling and infighting on the forum. I suppose this is normal for a football forum where fans have different viewpoints and opinions which sometimes clash and become a trifle fraught

The site is regarded by some in derogatory terms such as Daft.net or Dafc.nut and one can understand why at times

What I would like to point out is the huge amount of good work which starts from the forum without which the club would be financially far, far worse off and the various groups and charities associated with the club would not be able to get their important messages across

For the past eight years we have managed to fundraise though the generosity of the .net community parting with their hard earned cash and donated goods or services. I can only estimate how much has been achieved financially but I would forecast there has been somewhere in the region of £200,000 which has gone to the various groups, charities and directly to the club itself not to mention the revenue gained from advertising on this site which Brian redirects to the associated groups

The groups associated with the club ie The Heritage Trust, The Disabled Supporters, The PST, Marvyn’s wonderful emporium, the Business Club, The Pars Foundation and it’s many branches, charitable institutions such as Poppy Scotland, CHAS, SHIELD to name bit a few have all benefited hugely from being able to reach fans via the forum and either raise their profile or receive cash donations from the work done by those who use the forum

Sometimes we lose sight of just how much good is done via Dafc.net and for one I would like to just remind people that the site is used mainly by good honest Pars fans who post responsibly (we all have our moments, myself included)

I would like to thank Brian Duncan and the admin team for the work they put in to keep the forum running and whether we always agree or not maintain a modicum of calm and reasoning, we are quick to criticise but not so quick to praise

Let’s just consider how much has been achieved through working together for the benefit of our local community and our beloved club via Dafc.net which we can all be rightly proud of

COYP

[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Dafc.net, a force for good?
Topic Originator: eastendalloapar  
Date:   Fri 7 Jan 13:10

Well said, 1970.

matt forsyth
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: buffy  
Date:   Fri 7 Jan 13:16

Agree completely 1970.

Folk who moan (on here, and the other site) about getting rid of this website never consider all the good things that come from it.

Everything you’ve mentioned plus the coming together for collection of tickets / travel arrangements / special mentions / the memories from our lovely older fans (I could read them all day!); the Pars Loan Fund; mental health awareness, and countless more.

😊

buffysbuns.wordpress.com
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Fri 7 Jan 13:23

Hear, hear!

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Stanza  
Date:   Fri 7 Jan 13:28

Excellent post, Kenny.

Support Dunfermline Athletic Disabled Supporters` Club (it will cost you nothing) when you shop online with one of 6000 retailers and insurance firms etc
http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/dadsc
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: brian  
Date:   Fri 7 Jan 13:41

thank you for the kind words Kenny.

DAFC.net is due to the Pars fans that put all the time and effort into it.
we only help a little in background occassionally to try and oil the wheels a bit.

Your magnificant efforts (and many others) make it all worthwhile.

well, when I say occassionally, I mean occassionaly I pop my head above the parapit ! ;o))

Post Edited (Fri 07 Jan 13:42)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: SeasonedPar  
Date:   Fri 7 Jan 13:45

Totally agree. Well said
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 7 Jan 13:54

Please dont misread my message as seeking to draw attention to any individual, that’s certainly not the point I’m trying to make people aware of

We are a community of people who like any other group have our difficulties yet we contribute considerably to the club and it’s well-being and the countless good causes that are related to DAFC

Brian often comes in for some criticism, sometimes it may be warranted but he like any one of us is entitled to an opinion (we haven’t always seen eye to eye on everything)
Recently I have worked with Brian on various projects and I have come to realise how much work goes into maintaining and running this site

Our achievements are many as a collective, well done dafc.netters

Post Edited (Fri 07 Jan 16:00)
[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: The Boss  
Date:   Fri 7 Jan 14:27

Totally agree! Always the first place I go to for pars signings etc. I have also managed to participate in the shirt auctions over the years. Well said Kenny.

I like black and white (dreaming of black and white)
You like black and white
Run run away
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: yvb-par  
Date:   Fri 7 Jan 14:27

I agree with you 1970par, It really is a force for good. Although the forum debates can get rather heated at times. The Forums are not the everything that dafc.net is about.

I personally think that charitable work that gets done by volunteers needs championed. A forecast of £200,000 is a remarkable and a magnificent amount.

This is one of the vehicles I use to reach out to Pars fans to let them know of events that are being put on, especially on mental health awareness. There has been loads of people who have attended the walk and talk events, even today 26 people turned up, and a few who were there for the first time said they had read the details on dafc.net. I have been able to assist members on here as well who were going through a rough period, they posted here and I was able to act confidentially. These are just a small pinch of the good it brings.

There is more positivity than negativity, and this OP will help others understand this with more comments that come forward.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 7 Jan 14:40

Exactly Eddie, this is a shining example of the point we are trying to put forward

The Walking and Walking Down The Halbeath Road group is a huge success, we will be looking to do some fundraising to develop that very group in the near future

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: yvb-par  
Date:   Fri 7 Jan 14:43

The plans for the way forward to expand it and for it to have more of a positive impact will need funding. Glad to hear it :)

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Milos Drizzle  
Date:   Fri 7 Jan 14:54

Nice post, 1970Par. And I like to do my bit with the ad revenue from the mobile app, which has amounted to around £3k so far (£2k of which to DADSC), with more to come soon.

This is my signature
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Fri 7 Jan 15:48

Cracking post Kenny .. well said

We are forever shaped by the Children we once were
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Stanza  
Date:   Fri 7 Jan 15:53

Topic Originator: Milos Drizzle like
Date: Fri 7 Jan 14:54

Nice post, 1970Par. And I like to do my bit with the ad revenue from the mobile app, which has amounted to around £3k so far (£2k of which to DADSC), with more to come soon.

On behalf of DADSC, the contribution made by Milos and (through other channels) by Brian & co is really appreciated.

Like much of the work done by volunteers, this sort of stuff is behind the scenes and not really visible to most fans, but all of us benefit from it and it`s nice to acknowledge it from time to time.

Support Dunfermline Athletic Disabled Supporters` Club (it will cost you nothing) when you shop online with one of 6000 retailers and insurance firms etc
http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/dadsc
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 7 Jan 16:03

“Nice post, 1970Par. And I like to do my bit with the ad revenue from the mobile app, which has amounted to around £3k so far (£2k of which to DADSC), with more to come soon.”

Another fantastic example,I don’t use the mobile app personally so like many others I am unaware of the contribution made, thanks for pointing that out

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Fri 7 Jan 16:05

We`re lucky to have this site tbh and the people on it are great ambassadors for the club. People never appreciate the hassle it is running and moderating a forum. Admin make mistakes, admin do silly things. I doubt anyone on this forum can say they themselves are perfect.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Parfect68  
Date:   Fri 7 Jan 16:14

Brilliant post Kenny, I`ve engaged with this forum in some way almost every day for over 20yrs, mainly reading, rarely posting. It`s brought so many Pars fans together through good and bad and allowed debate, sometimes heated, that`s been needed at times in the dark history. In any walk of life people will disagree, and on the whole disagreement has been respectful. The volunteers/admin do a good job in what is a thankless task. There have been some points when I`ve really not agreed with some of the things on dot net, or how admin/site owner have reacted /acted but on balance the benefits & how they operate definitely outweigh the bad and there`s raspers on all forums too. As in life, I read, reflect, fact check, sometimes engage and then get on with the rest of my life.... It was a shame we lost some brilliant posters over the years, though I read some of them on EEB. There`s plenty enough room for us all and multiple sites. I`ve learned loads via off topic and politics forum, my only suggestion would be to merge all the other non football topics again, (other than jokes!!)

Post Edited (Fri 07 Jan 16:39)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: RhinoPars  
Date:   Fri 7 Jan 18:11

Great Post Kenny
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 7 Jan 18:26

Another positive for .net, it keeps people like RhinoPars and other fans from around the world involved and up to date with the fans viewpoints

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: The Roy Barry Fan Club  
Date:   Fri 7 Jan 18:38

Many things to be very proud of on dafc.net.

As Secretary of the Heritage Trust I would want to acknowledge the great support that the platform has been for both fund raising and also publicising our activities. Great thanks to Brian and those who work with him.

Many good things have sprung from dafc.net, and if some folk have let themselves and the website down from time to time then they are greatly outweighed by those who have contributed honestly and decently over many years.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: LochgellyAlbert  
Date:   Fri 7 Jan 19:06

👍🏁🏁🏁
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Townsvillepar  
Date:   Fri 7 Jan 19:39

Excellent post. I am one of the long distance fans living in Australia. I read .net most days and it is a great way to keep up with what is going on at the club. I tend to skip the negativity as much as possible, it does me no good!! As a long time Pars fan, only getting back to Dunfermline every few years, .net is crucial in me supporting the Pars. Thanks to everyone for the work that is done to ensure .net and of course the highlights are available.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Fethiyespar  
Date:   Sat 8 Jan 08:23

As a Pars fan living in Fethiye Turkey i rely on this site for all information from other fans regarding the news from EEP. Keep up the good work, thank you.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DBP  
Date:   Sat 8 Jan 09:18

Great to read the examples above! 👍

But on top of all the above headlines, during this pandemic and lockdowns, for many people this site is one of the few outlets they have to actually converse with others - even if it’s digital, it still lets folk get involved in a real life group discussion which is really important

So while it may seem like folk complain and moan - I’d disagree - they’re generally just giving their view and is often interpreted as a moan by the reader, who happens to disagree with that view
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 10 Jan 21:29

Eddie Martin and myself went along to Andys Man Club tonight , we had a few reasons to go along

We wanted to promote the Walking And Talking group and also to present the cheque for £300 (on behalf of Brian) which is their share of the Painting raffle

What a fantastic group who are doing sterling work for people who are experiencing troubles in their lives

Once again it highlights the excellent work we can do on dafc.net

[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 19 Jan 13:30

Topic Originator: steaua like Like: 1
Date: Fri 14 Jan 09:41

We would like to thank everyone who has supported us recently , with donations of items , sales and money donations. Since starting our support for the DAFC ACADEMY in November , we have donated £1462.92 to this fund and we will continue to support this initiative. Thanks again.

[IP address logged]

*** more reasons to show how Dafc.net works to support the clubs associated groups, well done Marv and the team in the Emporium

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: brian  
Date:   Thu 20 Jan 17:58

we received a thank you note from AndysManClub and I would like to share it with you.

Eddie and Kenny passing over the cheque.

Thank you for those that supported the Raffle.
I have a set of Mugs to pass on yet otherwise all other items have been picked up.

The donation to the Youth Academy will be announced in due course.

[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net