DAFC.net
Home 02 February 2023 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Quotes
Topic Originator: gordi-b  
Date:   Sun 9 Jan 09:18

Attributed to Yogi in the Sunday Mail .Straight from the Peter Grant book "It might be the best thing that happens to us , i may be wrong but a 5-0 win would have been the best thing

G.B
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Quotes
Topic Originator: pacifist  
Date:   Sun 9 Jan 10:58

yup - he said that. Reality it was 5 but could have been 7. That bunch of players in that formation are going to beat no-one in this league.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parsfan97  
Date:   Sun 9 Jan 12:39

Or maybe it’s a wake up call to the board saying we need more players in asap or it’s relegation

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Sun 9 Jan 12:42

The board has made money available for players.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Never10yairds  
Date:   Sun 9 Jan 12:42

That’s my hope Parsfan97, the board see this and realise how crap this squad is and dig deep to keep us up. That’s the only way we stay up now. These players will not get it done. They must be replaced or we go down.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Indiapar  
Date:   Sun 9 Jan 12:56

Quote:

gordi-b, Sun 9 Jan 09:18

Attributed to Yogi in the Sunday Mail .Straight from the Peter Grant book "It might be the best thing that happens to us , i may be wrong but a 5-0 win would have been the best thing

Strange thing to say as a manager. We have been shipping goals for weeks. Our best hope is to hunker down for 90 minutes and defend so that we can pick up points from 0-0 draws.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 9 Jan 13:01

Yes wee eck they’ve made it available for 2 or 3 before we moved anyone on! I’m talking about needing at least another 4/5, maybe even 6 to get us out this mess cause the current squad will see us relegated. I know january is a hard month to recruit but we really need to do it

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Berkey  
Date:   Sun 9 Jan 13:15

I can’t see how we move on any of the players yogi has frozen out at this point. Unless we still pay part of their wages and loan them out.

Our best bet is to loan some of the youngsters out to a level they can compete at to make space for some experienced pro’s. But that prob won’t free up the wages we need.

We’re screwed arnt we…

Things will be looking up……..now yogi is gone!

[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: Westies squint kicks  
Date:   Sun 9 Jan 13:26

Topic Originator: wee eck
Date: Sun 9 Jan 12:42

The board has made money available for players.

Have they ? Can you provide some evidence.

The manager has referred to one in and one out that`s not making money available he`s had to sacrifice to bring in.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 9 Jan 13:40

I`m sure Yogi said money had been made available to him. Anyway, it makes sense to move some players on if you`re bringing new players in otherwise you`ll end up with a bloated squad full of unhappy players who see no chance of getting a game.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Westies squint kicks  
Date:   Sun 9 Jan 13:53

wee eck wrote:

> I`m sure Yogi said money had been made available to him.
> Anyway, it makes sense to move some players on if you`re
> bringing new players in otherwise you`ll end up with a bloated
> squad full of unhappy players who see no chance of getting a
> game.
>
>
"I don`t like coming to conclusions without knowing all the facts"
Best practise what you preach

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: dover par  
Date:   Sun 9 Jan 13:57

There is money available for players to be brought in.Getting people to come might be the biggest problem.

"Pressure is something you feel when you don't know what the hell you're doing."

Post Edited (Sun 09 Jan 13:58)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 9 Jan 14:04

"I don`t like coming to conclusions without knowing all the facts"
Best practise what you preach

Obviously a fan.

That`s my recollection but I would have bookmarked it if I`d known it would be used in evidence against me.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Raymie the Legend  
Date:   Sun 9 Jan 14:42

Quote:

Indiapar, Sun 9 Jan 12:56

Quote:

gordi-b, Sun 9 Jan 09:18

Strange thing to say as a manager. We have been shipping goals for weeks. Our best hope is to hunker down for 90 minutes and defend so that we can pick up points from 0-0 draws.

Ironically, during the later stages of Grant’s tenure, we had managed to do exactly that

It's bloody tough being a legend
Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: CrossPar  
Date:   Sun 9 Jan 14:48

Draws won`t save us.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: onandupthepars  
Date:   Sun 9 Jan 19:25

On the subject of losing by 5 goals being a good thing - Morton 1 ICT 6 - hasn`t done the Ton any harm.

Post Edited (Sun 09 Jan 22:06)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 9 Jan 21:47

Problem is we are shipping goals every game.

Post Edited (Sun 09 Jan 22:23)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 9 Jan 22:16

No we`re not. Last week was 0-0; 0-1 at Hamilton was a dodgy pen; 3-0 at home to Ayr etc..

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parathletic  
Date:   Sun 9 Jan 22:29

Hughes has been in charge for 6 games and yesterday is the 3rd time we have shipped 3 or more.We have conceded 12 in those 6 games.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 9 Jan 22:31

The way its going we need to be capable of scoring at least 2 goals every game to be in a position to win because we know we are going to give away at least 1.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: nick_dafc1  
Date:   Sun 9 Jan 22:38

Quote:

Indiapar, Sun 9 Jan 22:31

The way its going we need to be capable of scoring at least 2 goals every game to be in a position to win because we know we are going to give away at least 1.

We gave none away at Raith so that`s rubbish.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 10 Jan 07:59

Quote:

nick_dafc1, Sun 9 Jan 22:38

Quote:

Indiapar, Sun 9 Jan 22:31

We gave none away at Raith so that`s rubbish.

True but the Raith game is not the general trend on our season this year. My point is that we need to take risks to score. If we do we will lose goals as we are not resilient enough defensively and in midfield.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: par-91  
Date:   Mon 10 Jan 09:05

We’ve conceded 3 goals in 3 of our last 4 games. Over the course of the season, we’ve conceded 3 in 40% of our league games. Are people really trying to argue that we don’t have a habit of shipping goals this season?

We’ve kept 5 clean sheets. The central defenders in those games were:
Watson and Gaspuitis
Watson and Gaspuitis
Connolly and Gaspuitis
Connolly and Gaspuitis
Connolly and Breen

Only one of those 4 defenders is left - and that game seems to be the anomaly for Breen, we have conceded a total of 14 goals in the other 5 games that he has played (average of just under 3 per game).

Gaspuitis made a huge difference to our defence, but has gone because he wasn’t getting enough game time (great management, isn’t it?). Connolly made a big impact, but is likely to be off and now we’ve played Donaldson and Martin (8th and 9th Pars to play CB this season) and ship 5 to Morton. Are people really trying to argue that tightening up the defence (be that with midfielders that will protect them, new CBs or a change in tactics) isn’t a priority?

Get to the other end of the field and we have scored 1 goal from open play in the 6 league games Yogi has been in charge - failed to score altogether in 4 of them. We’ve been leaking goals for fun and creating nothing, that’s been a running theme. But posts above are suggesting it’s not because we managed a solitary 0-0 draw. Open your eyes.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 10 Jan 11:01

Quote:

par-91, Mon 10 Jan 09:05

We’ve conceded 3 goals in 3 of our last 4 games. Over the course of the season, we’ve conceded 3 in 40% of our league games. Are people really trying to argue that we don’t have a habit of shipping goals this season?

Watson and Gaspuitis
Watson and Gaspuitis
Connolly and Gaspuitis
Connolly and Gaspuitis
Connolly and Breen

Only one of those 4 defenders is left - and that game seems to be the anomaly for Breen, we have conceded a total of 14 goals in the other 5 games that he has played (average of just under 3 per game).

Gaspuitis made a huge difference to our defence, but has gone because he wasn’t getting enough game time (great management, isn’t it?). Connolly made a big impact, but is likely to be off and now we’ve played Donaldson and Martin (8th and 9th Pars to play CB this season) and ship 5 to Morton. Are people really trying to argue that tightening up the defence (be that with midfielders that will protect them, new CBs or a change in tactics) isn’t a priority?

Get to the other end of the field and we have scored 1 goal from open play in the 6 league games Yogi has been in charge - failed to score altogether in 4 of them. We’ve been leaking goals for fun and creating nothing, that’s been a running theme. But posts above are suggesting it’s not because we managed a solitary 0-0 draw. Open your eyes.

Watson leaving wasn`t management fault.
Gaspuitis was unsettled in this country and wanted to leave.
It looks like Connolly wants to leave back home.

What can the management do about all of this?

Try to bring in players, what other solutions do they have. In a perfect world Watson wouldn`t of went on holiday behind the clubs back and he could of partnered up with Connolly whom he played with at United.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 10 Jan 11:09

Yogi clearly didn’t rate gasputis, hence why he was dropped like a ton of bricks. Anyone who believes it’s cause he wasn’t a left footer still probably believes in Santa. He was a no nonsense centre half, exactly what we need. Maybe him being dropped for weeks on end made him want to go home! And if Donaldson is the type of signing yogi thinks will get us out of trouble then we are doomed

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 10 Jan 11:16

Quote:

parsfan97, Mon 10 Jan 11:09

Yogi clearly didn’t rate gasputis, hence why he was dropped like a ton of bricks. Anyone who believes it’s cause he wasn’t a left footer still probably believes in Santa. He was a no nonsense centre half, exactly what we need. Maybe him being dropped for weeks on end made him want to go home! And if Donaldson is the type of signing yogi thinks will get us out of trouble then we are doomed

Or maybe he wanted to drop out because he was wanting away home and the left footer excuse was made up to get him out of it.

It suits your agenda to bash yogi for his signings. We can only sign players who aren`t getting a game in the SPL or young inexperienced players. Who would you like him to sign? Maybe get Goldson from Rangers for 6m?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: par-91  
Date:   Mon 10 Jan 11:17

Quote:

nick_dafc1, Mon 10 Jan 11:01

Try to bring in players, what other solutions do they have. In a perfect world Watson wouldn`t of went on holiday behind the clubs back and he could of partnered up with Connolly whom he played with at United.

Watson leaving wasn’t 100% the manager’s fault. But I find it hard to believe he would have done that if he backed the manager - who he had publicly criticised in the media shortly before this. That’s a matter of opinion though and I don’t really blame the manager at the time for that isolated incident. But Grant was really bad for mismanagement of players, of that there is no doubt.

Yogi admitted Gaspuitis asked to leave due to lack of game time hurting his international career. So that is a management issue, in my opinion.

Connolly is only really a management issue because he chose to build the team around Connolly instead of the aforementioned Gaspuitis, despite the fact Connolly was only here until this month and Gaspuitis was contracted until 2023.

Again, how much of the blame can be apportioned to certain managers is all a matter of opinion. But the issues we have leaking goals is just a fact. Our defensive record is disgraceful and our goal scoring record is equally as bad. Having one of those issues is worrying. Nobody in the league has scored fewer goals than us and nobody in the league has conceded more. We’ve conceded 3 goals in 40% of our games. That’s abysmal. We’ve failed to score in 50% of our league games as well. One of these issues alone would leave us in trouble. Having both of these issues makes it impossible to compete. Defence leaks goals on a regular basis and we don’t score any ourselves. Genuinely impossible to be competitive with both of those issues in the same team.

You just seem to be disagreeing with every post that highlights the dire situation we’re in. Tried arguing that leaking goals isn’t an issue, then ignore 90% of my post that disproves that, just to try and claim it’s not the manager’s fault - which isn’t even remotely the main point/issue highlighted in my post.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 10 Jan 11:37

Quote:

par-91, Mon 10 Jan 11:17

Quote:

nick_dafc1, Mon 10 Jan 11:01

Watson leaving wasn’t 100% the manager’s fault. But I find it hard to believe he would have done that if he backed the manager - who he had publicly criticised in the media shortly before this. That’s a matter of opinion though and I don’t really blame the manager at the time for that isolated incident. But Grant was really bad for mismanagement of players, of that there is no doubt.

Yogi admitted Gaspuitis asked to leave due to lack of game time hurting his international career. So that is a management issue, in my opinion.

Connolly is only really a management issue because he chose to build the team around Connolly instead of the aforementioned Gaspuitis, despite the fact Connolly was only here until this month and Gaspuitis was contracted until 2023.

Again, how much of the blame can be apportioned to certain managers is all a matter of opinion. But the issues we have leaking goals is just a fact. Our defensive record is disgraceful and our goal scoring record is equally as bad. Having one of those issues is worrying. Nobody in the league has scored fewer goals than us and nobody in the league has conceded more. We’ve conceded 3 goals in 40% of our games. That’s abysmal. We’ve failed to score in 50% of our league games as well. One of these issues alone would leave us in trouble. Having both of these issues makes it impossible to compete. Defence leaks goals on a regular basis and we don’t score any ourselves. Genuinely impossible to be competitive with both of those issues in the same team.

You just seem to be disagreeing with every post that highlights the dire situation we’re in. Tried arguing that leaking goals isn’t an issue, then ignore 90% of my post that disproves that, just to try and claim it’s not the manager’s fault - which isn’t even remotely the main point/issue highlighted in my post.

I`m not disagreeing with the facts about our shambolic defending. The issue is though Grant brought a squad together that wasn`t up to the standard and made a mess of it and Yogi has been hired to fix that but on the budget we have, January isn`t going to provide many good options. In a summer window you have 1000s of players out of contract that you can pick from but this window you have the dregs like Donaldson.

Just got to hope by the end of the window we can be better than two other teams in the league.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 10 Jan 12:06

Nick dafc says I’m bashing yogis signings then in his next post complains about Donaldson being the dregs 🤣. Only on .net eh

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 10 Jan 12:11

Quote:

parsfan97, Mon 10 Jan 12:06

Nick dafc says I’m bashing yogis signings then in his next post complains about Donaldson being the dregs 🤣. Only on .net eh

Now who`s disagreeing for disagreeing sake..

That`s all you get in January if your a club our size. He has to go through these dregs and hope he can find some who are better than we Currently have. Hopefully Donaldson and Martin will improve with more match fitness.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: bannerpar  
Date:   Mon 10 Jan 12:45

In his interview after Liverpool beat Shrewsbury 4-1 yesterday, Jurgen Klopp said `We started off with 5 young boys, really talented footballers but until half time they were only playing safe passes as they were frightened to make a mistake, you can never cut through the opposition playing like that.` There`s an element of this with our young boys.

In recent times from our midfield Kyle Turner has been the only one (maybe Henderson from Celtic as well to an extent) who tried ambitious passes. They didn`t work all the time but when they did it gave us a chance.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 10 Jan 21:52

Quote:

par-91, Mon 10 Jan 09:05

Watson and Gaspuitis
Watson and Gaspuitis
Connolly and Gaspuitis
Connolly and Gaspuitis
Connolly and Breen

Yes I agree with you. I think the performances and results speak for themselves.
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net