DAFC.net
Home 08 December 2022 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 David goodwillie
Topic Originator: Connor560  
Date:   Tue 1 Mar 16:02

Signs for Clyde on loan...

C'mon Ye Pars!
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: David goodwillie
Topic Originator: MDCCCLXXXV  
Date:   Tue 1 Mar 16:34

Surely after the raith debacle Clyde fans will react the same, the last time he signed for them he was awaiting trial.

East End Park is a symbol of all that is DAFC.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: David goodwillie
Topic Originator: eastendalloapar  
Date:   Tue 1 Mar 16:38

If he keeps his head down and plays well he might be accepted by the Clyde fans.

matt forsyth
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: David goodwillie
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Tue 1 Mar 16:58

I wonder what the financial terms are? Maybe Raith have loaned him back for the fee they paid Clyde for his services originally. That would still leave the issue of Goodwillie`s wages though.

[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: David goodwillie
Topic Originator: Bamba-Daft  
Date:   Tue 1 Mar 17:22

Highly doubt Clyde are paying anything back. They were the only club who would have taken him, and rovers would have been desperate to get him out the door.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: David goodwillie
Topic Originator: DA-go Par Adonis  
Date:   Tue 1 Mar 18:40

Probably good timing for them to do it. About as under the radar as they could get given the state of the world at present.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I love it when we go sell Kevin Nisbet,
He's gonna pay for everyone this season.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: David goodwillie
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Tue 1 Mar 18:44

What a bizarre turn of events. This was mooted on the East End Bounce yesterday and I said there was no chance Clyde would take him back after all the negative publicity he`d attracted last month. Shows how much I know. 😃

What are the Rovers directors thinking? Park him at Clyde until May and bring him back to the San Starko for next season and everyone will have forgotten and forgiven? Really?

And what about Clyde? Is it OK for him to play in a league below the Championship? What difference does that make?



Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: David goodwillie
Topic Originator: LochgellyAlbert  
Date:   Tue 1 Mar 18:51

If Raith are still paying his wages or even topping them up I can see another furore!
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
-
 Re: David goodwillie
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Tue 1 Mar 18:58

Quote:

LochgellyAlbert, Tue 1 Mar 18:51

If Raith are still paying his wages or even topping them up I can see another furore!


I`d be surprised if they`re not at least contributing to them, LA. Presumably he was on better wages at Raith, otherwise he`d have stayed at Clyde in relative obscurity and peace.

Why would Clyde take him back if they had to shell out higher wages for him? My guess is that Rovers are covering ALL his wages.



Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: David goodwillie
Topic Originator: red-star-par  
Date:   Tue 1 Mar 19:38

If he didn`t have such baggage, he would have been the ideal man to play along side McCann to fire in the goals to keep us in this league
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: David goodwillie
Topic Originator: buffy  
Date:   Tue 1 Mar 19:42

Probably couldn’t afford to cancel his contract as he may have been able to take them to court for breaching it. It’s a chapter of law I don’t know so might be wrong on this.

Some Clyde fans will be welcoming him back - they lamented after he left that he scored a barrow load of goals.

North Lanarkshire Council just announced they’re looking at their associations with Clyde. Could be a tsunami.

”Buffy’s Buns are the finest in Fife”, J. Spence 2019”
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: David goodwillie
Topic Originator: eastendalloapar  
Date:   Tue 1 Mar 19:42

I had hoped that we might have got an ex Dundee player to do that. Either we weren`t interested in getting in a proven goalscorer or we were outbid by Falkirk.

matt forsyth
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: David goodwillie
Topic Originator: da_no_1  
Date:   Tue 1 Mar 21:35

How come every player hooring themselves around looking for a club is always the answer to any problem we currently have.

Griffiths attitude is terrible. So many chances and blew them all. Shame as he`s a genuine talent

"Some days will stay a 1000 years, some pass like the flash of a spark"
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: David goodwillie
Topic Originator: twin par  
Date:   Tue 1 Mar 23:33

Find the whole ,situation, a lawful, and contractual nightmare. Who is paying his wages, and what is the long term outcome.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: David goodwillie
Topic Originator: MDCCCLXXXV  
Date:   Wed 2 Mar 13:47

Rovers will pay his wages, DG signed a 2 and a half year deal with them , I heard from a rovers mate its a round £1200 pw.
Paying someone £150k without ever kicking a ball for the club, not to mention the amount of supporters who havnt set foot back in starks Park since he signed will set club back years.
My mate and his friends won`t go back while he is employed by Raith . When I spoke to him last night he stated DG is out on loan but still employed by Raith Rovers

East End Park is a symbol of all that is DAFC.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: David goodwillie
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Wed 2 Mar 13:55

£1200? Seems steep given the rep and that he`d be on peanuts at Clyde.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: David goodwillie
Topic Originator: Milos Drizzle  
Date:   Wed 2 Mar 15:35

Disastrously short-sighted decision all-round made by the Raith board.

This is my signature
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: David goodwillie
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Wed 2 Mar 15:37

Quote:

Milos Drizzle, Wed 2 Mar 15:35

Disastrously short-sighted decision all-round made by the Raith board.


Understatement of the year, Milos. 🙂



Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: David goodwillie
Topic Originator: par-91  
Date:   Wed 2 Mar 15:50

Quote:

jake89, Wed 2 Mar 13:55

£1200? Seems steep given the rep and that he`d be on peanuts at Clyde.


Remember he was part time at Clyde and will most likely have had to give up another job to go full time. Not just his Clyde salary that needed matched/bettered for him to move. An important factor that so many seem to ignore when talking about part time players (or managers - like Petrie) going full time.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: David goodwillie
Topic Originator: DA-go Par Adonis  
Date:   Wed 2 Mar 16:57

Literally no-one forgets that about Petrie. Whenever he`s linked with us - or another full-time club - his job at the bank gets mentioned every time.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I love it when we go sell Kevin Nisbet,
He's gonna pay for everyone this season.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: David goodwillie
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Wed 2 Mar 17:04

Does he have a job at a bank? I don`t think it`s ever been mentioned 😉
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: David goodwillie
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Wed 2 Mar 18:47

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/local-sport/clyde-david-goodwillie-signing-prompts-26361838

So, what were they "thinking" nearly 5 seasons ago ?

[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: David goodwillie
Topic Originator: DBA  
Date:   Wed 2 Mar 19:45

Quote:

jake89, Wed 2 Mar 13:55

£1200? Seems steep given the rep and that he`d be on peanuts at Clyde.


Rumours are he was on £900 a week at Clyde, paid for by a benefactor.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: David goodwillie
Topic Originator: Raymie the Legend  
Date:   Wed 2 Mar 20:21

They might be looking for somewhere to play if they go ahead with this ?
North Lanarkshire council have threatened to kick them out the stadium




It's bloody tough being a legend
Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: David goodwillie
Topic Originator: red-star-par  
Date:   Wed 2 Mar 20:48

Quote:

Raymie the Legend, Wed 2 Mar 20:21

They might be looking for somewhere to play if they go ahead with this ?
North Lanarkshire council have threatened to kick them out the stadium


Does it mean that he is never going to be able to work again? Any club that takes him on faces financial ruin. If he tries to get a proper job, then that company may be targeted
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: David goodwillie
Topic Originator: MDCCCLXXXV  
Date:   Wed 2 Mar 21:13

I think he will be able to work again but just not in a job where he is looked upon as a role model

East End Park is a symbol of all that is DAFC.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: David goodwillie
Topic Originator: red-star-par  
Date:   Wed 2 Mar 21:33

Quote:

MDCCCLXXXV, Wed 2 Mar 21:13

I think he will be able to work again but just not in a job where he is looked upon as a role model


If they are including such low level jobs as centre forward for Raith Rovers as being a role model then that`s going to limit his future career options
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: David goodwillie
Topic Originator: Connor560  
Date:   Wed 2 Mar 23:31

Ladies squad now all quit as well.

C'mon Ye Pars!
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: David goodwillie
Topic Originator: PARadise  
Date:   Thu 3 Mar 07:15

Quote:

red-star-par, Wed 02 Mar 21:33

Quote:

MDCCCLXXXV, Wed 2 Mar 21:13

I think he will be able to work again but just not in a job where he is looked upon as a role model


If they are including such low level jobs as centre forward for Raith Rovers as being a role model then that`s going to limit his future career options


Going out in-front of hundreds of young girls and boys every week seems to me that you would be a pretty big role model. Anyway don’t rape someone if you want your career to prosper
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: David goodwillie
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Thu 3 Mar 07:29

I`m not in the slightest bit defending Goodwillie for his reprehensible behaviour but aren`t a lot of people jumping on a bandwagon now?

He played for Clyde for 4/5 seasons and was their captain and top goalscorer and other than some protests when the club signed him in 2017, we hadn`t heard a cheep. I`m convinced that if Raith hadn`t signed him, he`d still be playing and scoring for Clyde in blissful anonymity.



Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: David goodwillie
Topic Originator: Pars11  
Date:   Thu 3 Mar 09:50

GGRiva, Val McDermid objected in public, this raised the profile of the situation with David Goodwillie. Nicola Sturgeon was then quoted in the press as jumping on a bandwagon as she had said nothing for 5 years. Only thing that changed was David Goodwillie`s place of employment. It is the system that is wrong, Goodwillie should not be allowed to play in professional leagues. It does not matter where he plays, how skillful he is or how much he earns. Maybe Sturgeon will do something now she has quoted on Goodwillie at Raith Rovers. To say what she did because Val McDermid spoke up for what is right then say nothing as yet to Goodwillie returning to Clyde is simply wrong. North Lanarkshire Council own the rights to Broadwood Stadium and run it through an agency. They are reviewing their position on renting to Clyde, again why now and not 5 years ago.

Bluebell Polka
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: David goodwillie
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Thu 3 Mar 10:19

Quote:

Pars11, Thu 3 Mar 09:50

GGRiva, Val McDermid objected in public, this raised the profile of the situation with David Goodwillie. Nicola Sturgeon was then quoted in the press as jumping on a bandwagon as she had said nothing for 5 years. Only thing that changed was David Goodwillie`s place of employment. It is the system that is wrong, Goodwillie should not be allowed to play in professional leagues. It does not matter where he plays, how skillful he is or how much he earns. Maybe Sturgeon will do something now she has quoted on Goodwillie at Raith Rovers. To say what she did because Val McDermid spoke up for what is right then say nothing as yet to Goodwillie returning to Clyde is simply wrong. North Lanarkshire Council own the rights to Broadwood Stadium and run it through an agency. They are reviewing their position on renting to Clyde, again why now and not 5 years ago.


I know all that, Pars11, but are we saying that all those people who are speaking out now had never heard of Goodwillie before his transfer to Raith? He`s a Scotland international, is he not? Apart from a few Clyde fans voicing their disgust in 2017, there was very little made of it, although I believe Goodwillie`s lawyers had lodged an appeal and he was denying any wrongdoing.



Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: David goodwillie
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Thu 3 Mar 10:25

I`m not sure where all this is going but Nicola Sturgeon has commented on his return to Clyde as reported by the BBC :-

`Sturgeon tweeted that Clyde should have not taken him back, claiming he had shown no "remorse", while Rape Crisis Scotland described it as "a shameful decision that sends yet another clear message of disregard to survivors of rape and sexual violence".`

[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: David goodwillie
Topic Originator: sadindiefreak  
Date:   Thu 3 Mar 10:55

Why are none of you complaining about Ronaldo being allowed to play football?
He was accused of rape and paid his victim off in an out of court settlement with a non disclosure agreement. If Goodwillies victim had settled out of court would you all be having the same meltdown about him?
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: David goodwillie
Topic Originator: Wotsit  
Date:   Thu 3 Mar 11:15

When Goodwillie first signed for Clyde they were rock bottom of League two and headed for the lowland leagues, so there was less attention on the signing. Partly because of the relative obscurity of clyde (fewer people saw the news) and partly because most folk who did notice found it reasonable enough that he was playing at that level. I fall into the first group by the way - it completely passed under my radar and the first I knew that he was playing again was when he signed for Raith.

The situation changed because Raith were, at the time, seriously challenging for a place in the top division, with the increased attention that gains. It further changed when Raith signed a rapist against the express wishes of their major sponsor and said sponsor said so.

It is still a story now that he is returning to Clyde because that new attention didn`t go away. He can`t now return to obscurity.

If Ronaldo signed for a Scottish club it would probably be an issue now, although he was sneaky in paying his victim off because that means that he hasn`t, unlike Goodwillie, been branded a rapist by a court of law.


"Who you are and what you feel comes not just from inside you, but from where you are in the power structure"


Post Edited (Thu 03 Mar 11:17)
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: David goodwillie
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Thu 3 Mar 12:36

Wee eck is correct. Nicola did criticise Goodwillie`s return to Clyde but she`s not universally popular, so the negative comments from some posters are not surprising. It may be that these were made in good faith and not malicious but they are misleading.

`re Ronaldo, he could afford to pay his victim off - I`m assuming £100k did not amount to loose change for Goodwillie, or he might have been tempted to go down that route himself. I don`t think anyone on here has had a meltdown on the subject, but it`s fair to say some posters didn`t hold back with the criticism, although most of it has been directed at the Rovers Board, rather than Goodwillie himself, as far as I can see.

Wotsit`s post is bang on the money, but it doesn`t fully explain why people from all walks have all of a sudden been jumping on the bandwagon. It`s as if they need to be seen to be commenting on it, otherwise their reputation will go down.



Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: David goodwillie
Topic Originator: Raymie the Legend  
Date:   Thu 3 Mar 12:56

I think many were not overly familiar with the case, whilst he was playing for Clyde? That might be one of the reasons why he wasn`t debated to such lengths before?
Speaking from my own experience, I read up on the civil court case findings, only after Raith signed him.
I suspect many others did the same and therefore, felt more informed to give an opinion?




It's bloody tough being a legend
Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: David goodwillie
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Thu 3 Mar 13:11

" If Goodwillies victim had settled out of court would you all be having the same meltdown about him? "

Academic scenario - Denise Clair (reportedly) refused to settle out of court, despite being advised the defendant could be made bankrupt and she would likely receive nothing in damages.

His defence lawyers deserted his bankruptcy case late on so they get their fees from his assets - she got nothing.

AFAIK, she would have had ro repay her Legal Aid grant had she received damages - so maybe that influenced her decision not to settle out of court ?

Either way, a brave decision to proceed and go public with her identity.


Post Edited (Thu 03 Mar 13:22)
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: David goodwillie
Topic Originator: Alf  
Date:   Thu 3 Mar 15:52

Goodwillie has been banned from entering the stadium by the owners, the local council
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: David goodwillie
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Thu 3 Mar 16:13

Quote:

Alf, Thu 03 Mar 15:52

Goodwillie has been banned from entering the stadium by the owners, the local council


Which begs the obvious question - why now, and not in his previous years at Clyde ?
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: David goodwillie
Topic Originator: AdamAntsParsStripe  
Date:   Thu 3 Mar 16:17

Goodwillie would be wise just to announce his retirement.
Of course he would have been wiser just to play out his days with Clyde where he enjoyed support from many of their fans rather than go to the Rovers but clearly his name is politically tarnished to the extent that he won`t play again in senior football.
Much has been said about him showing no remorse but from a legal perspective, to do so would open him up to new court proceedings given he was cleared outside of the civil case.

Zwei Pints Bier und ein Päckchen Chips bitte


Post Edited (Thu 03 Mar 16:20)
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: David goodwillie
Topic Originator: buffy  
Date:   Thu 3 Mar 16:25

The Clyde FC Women’s Team have also walked.

”Buffy’s Buns are the finest in Fife”, J. Spence 2019”
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: David goodwillie
Topic Originator: GG4  
Date:   Thu 3 Mar 16:55

So what now for Clyde and DG...obscurity hopefully.

Couldn`t Clyde terminate the loan and send him back to his club?

[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: David goodwillie
Topic Originator: buffy  
Date:   Thu 3 Mar 17:00

The end paragraph of North Lanarkshire’s statement today is worth noting:

“We also note that some people have questioned why the council is only taking action now given that Mr Goodwillie has played for Clyde for a number of years. For clarity, the stadium was previously under the control of North Lanarkshire Leisure Ltd which, while previously paid by the council for management of a range of services and facilities, is a separate legal entity. The council was unable to direct the company in relation to this matter. The stadium, and all the services of the company, have reverted to direct council control.”

”Buffy’s Buns are the finest in Fife”, J. Spence 2019”
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: David goodwillie
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Thu 3 Mar 17:07

Goodwillie can forget about playing professional football in this country. Looking on the bright side (for him) he has over a year to carve out a new career for himself, as Rovers will be obliged to pay his wages until the end of season 22/23.

Karma for BoD for their bizarre (insane) decision for taking him to Starks Park. Had they left him at Broadwood, he`d still be playing quietly away for Clyde.



Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: David goodwillie
Topic Originator: MDCCCLXXXV  
Date:   Thu 3 Mar 17:21

If he has signed for Clyde on loan until the end of the season, will they be contractually obliged to pay a % of his wages until then?

East End Park is a symbol of all that is DAFC.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: David goodwillie
Topic Originator: Bamba-Daft  
Date:   Thu 3 Mar 17:40

Quote:

MDCCCLXXXV, Thu 03 Mar 17:21

If he has signed for Clyde on loan until the end of the season, will they be contractually obliged to pay a % of his wages until then?


Depends what the agreement was in the first place. I’d be absolutely amazed if Clyde are contributing anything.. they had rovers over a barrel with rovers desperate to get him out the door no matter what. Rovers would have been quite happy to pay his wages while he played for Clyde for the rest of his contract, I’d imagine.. just to disassociate his name with their club.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: David goodwillie
Topic Originator: DBP  
Date:   Thu 3 Mar 18:14

Perhaps some people aren`t jumping on a bandwagon as such but being asked a question or involved in a debate on this matter in 2022.

I didn`t know of this `man` at the time he signed for Clyde. but what I do know is that in the last 5 years, society has changed and our opinion generally as a society is correctly moved so that violence against women is abhorrent and just not acceptable any more.

Even in the world of football, it has changed in the last 5 years to be more reflective of society... Women`s and girls football has exploded and is much closer aligned to clubs (team, facilities, etc) themselves. women are now officiating games more often, women are employed to work with the first team more often, women and girls attending matches is increasing, women being in senior positions of companies that sponsor clubs is becoming more prevalent…

All in all, football and society has changed on this and many other subjects - so we can’t judge events today on historic reference points or previous societal norms.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: David goodwillie
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Thu 3 Mar 18:35

Quote:

DBP, Thu 3 Mar 18:14

Perhaps some people aren`t jumping on a bandwagon as such but being asked a question or involved in a debate on this matter in 2022.

I didn`t know of this `man` at the time he signed for Clyde. but what I do know is that in the last 5 years, society has changed and our opinion generally as a society is correctly moved so that violence against women is abhorrent and just not acceptable any more.

Even in the world of football, it has changed in the last 5 years to be more reflective of society... Women`s and girls football has exploded and is much closer aligned to clubs (team, facilities, etc) themselves. women are now officiating games more often, women are employed to work with the first team more often, women and girls attending matches is increasing, women being in senior positions of companies that sponsor clubs is becoming more prevalent…

All in all, football and society has changed on this and many other subjects - so we can’t judge events today on historic reference points or previous societal norms.


I don`t disagree with any of your post but I`m surprised you`d never heard of DG in 2017. He was quite a high profile footballer then. It`s good that social attitudes towards women are changing for the better, but I`m not sure they`ve changed as much as you believe in the last 5 years. Long may they continue to improve though.



Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: David goodwillie
Topic Originator: Jeffery  
Date:   Thu 3 Mar 18:46

Great statement. The statement uses the word `contrition` and that for me is a big issue here. It`s disgusting for him to not apologise and show remorse. Even if he believes he`s innocent he still contributed to what happened just by being involved.

Whether it`s from the heart or not he could surely give a carefully worded statement apologising for the hurt of the victim while at the same time not saying that he`s guilty of a crime?

His lack of regret is just horrifying.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: David goodwillie
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Thu 3 Mar 18:59

I heard a legal expert say that Goodwilie expressing remorse would not necessarily lead to a criminal prosecution. I don`t think he denied the incident took place; it all hinged on `consent`. He could at least apologise for the trauma and grief the girl has experienced in the aftermath of the incident.

[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: David goodwillie
Topic Originator: AdamAntsParsStripe  
Date:   Thu 3 Mar 19:00

Quote:

Jeffery, Thu 3 Mar 18:46

Great statement. The statement uses the word `contrition` and that for me is a big issue here. It`s disgusting for him to not apologise and show remorse. Even if he believes he`s innocent he still contributed to what happened just by being involved.

Whether it`s from the heart or not he could surely give a carefully worded statement apologising for the hurt of the victim while at the same time not saying that he`s guilty of a crime?

His lack of regret is just horrifying.


Your black and white view of this case is illuminating using the words `disgusting`, `Horrifying` and `victim`
You say yourself he believes he was innocent of rape but he must show remorse regardless even though doing that means he will be pulled up in court pronto.
I`m not a kangaroo court so I really don`t know if he is guilty but what I can say is, his lawyer would have advised him to not admit guilt or remorse so that criminal proceedings would re-commence.

Zwei Pints Bier und ein Päckchen Chips bitte


Post Edited (Thu 03 Mar 19:00)
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: David goodwillie
Topic Originator: DBP  
Date:   Thu 3 Mar 19:16

GG I like watching football, have ST for years but to be honest-have enough other interests and things in my life that after 5pm on a Saturday, I tend not to pay a huge amount of interest, especially in what other teams etc are doing.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: David goodwillie
Topic Originator: DBA  
Date:   Thu 3 Mar 19:29

Quote:

AdamAntsParsStripe, Thu 3 Mar 19:00

Quote:

Jeffery, Thu 3 Mar 18:46

Great statement. The statement uses the word `contrition` and that for me is a big issue here. It`s disgusting for him to not apologise and show remorse. Even if he believes he`s innocent he still contributed to what happened just by being involved.

Whether it`s from the heart or not he could surely give a carefully worded statement apologising for the hurt of the victim while at the same time not saying that he`s guilty of a crime?

His lack of regret is just horrifying.


Your black and white view of this case is illuminating using the words `disgusting`, `Horrifying` and `victim`
You say yourself he believes he was innocent of rape but he must show remorse regardless even though doing that means he will be pulled up in court pronto.
I`m not a kangaroo court so I really don`t know if he is guilty but what I can say is, his lawyer would have advised him to not admit guilt or remorse so that criminal proceedings would re-commence.


He was guilty in court, albeit Civil Court.

He doesn`t even need to admit anything. There`s plenty ways to show remorse, especially for someone in the public space. He`s done none of that.

If you don`t believe she`s a victim, I think that says more about you.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: David goodwillie
Topic Originator: AdamAntsParsStripe  
Date:   Thu 3 Mar 19:42

Quote:

DBA, Thu 3 Mar 19:29

Quote:

AdamAntsParsStripe, Thu 3 Mar 19:00

Quote:

Jeffery, Thu 3 Mar 18:46

Great statement. The statement uses the word `contrition` and that for me is a big issue here. It`s disgusting for him to not apologise and show remorse. Even if he believes he`s innocent he still contributed to what happened just by being involved.

Whether it`s from the heart or not he could surely give a carefully worded statement apologising for the hurt of the victim while at the same time not saying that he`s guilty of a crime?

His lack of regret is just horrifying.


Your black and white view of this case is illuminating using the words `disgusting`, `Horrifying` and `victim`
You say yourself he believes he was innocent of rape but he must show remorse regardless even though doing that means he will be pulled up in court pronto.
I`m not a kangaroo court so I really don`t know if he is guilty but what I can say is, his lawyer would have advised him to not admit guilt or remorse so that criminal proceedings would re-commence.


He was guilty in court, albeit Civil Court.

He doesn`t even need to admit anything. There`s plenty ways to show remorse, especially for someone in the public space. He`s done none of that.

If you don`t believe she`s a victim, I think that says more about you.


Not really. It shows more about you in that he`s not a convicted criminal.
I don`t know if she`s a victim as it`s not proven in law.
I do know people falsely accused of rape however, their names tarnished regardless of their innocence forevermore.
I do not know if he was guilty, clearly the criminal court thought the same but I won`t go blindly down the same thought space as yourself who won`t have an open mind.

I tend to think this.
He would have said his side of the story not only to Clyde 5 years ago but to Raith Rovers too, in private and they must have believed him in so far as to think he wasn`t as portrayed.

Uncomfortable words to hear but someone needs to say them instead of virtue signalling.

Zwei Pints Bier und ein Päckchen Chips bitte
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: David goodwillie
Topic Originator: Jeffery  
Date:   Thu 3 Mar 20:04

Quote:

AdamAntsParsStripe, Thu 3 Mar 19:00

Quote:

Jeffery, Thu 3 Mar 18:46

Great statement. The statement uses the word `contrition` and that for me is a big issue here. It`s disgusting for him to not apologise and show remorse. Even if he believes he`s innocent he still contributed to what happened just by being involved.

Whether it`s from the heart or not he could surely give a carefully worded statement apologising for the hurt of the victim while at the same time not saying that he`s guilty of a crime?

His lack of regret is just horrifying.


Your black and white view of this case is illuminating using the words `disgusting`, `Horrifying` and `victim`
You say yourself he believes he was innocent of rape but he must show remorse regardless even though doing that means he will be pulled up in court pronto.
I`m not a kangaroo court so I really don`t know if he is guilty but what I can say is, his lawyer would have advised him to not admit guilt or remorse so that criminal proceedings would re-commence.


My point is that he`s shown no compassion for her. It should be possible to say, `I am sorry for the hurt you`ve been through`, regardless of guilt.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: David goodwillie
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Thu 3 Mar 20:20

Difficult to apologise for something you don`t believe to be true without it coming across as "I`m sorry YOU feel that way".

From Val McDermid`s perspective she did not wish to be associated with or paying towards a rapist. Nicola Sturgeon getting involved feels less appropriate to me. It`s not something she should have gotten involved with in such a public manner imo.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: David goodwillie
Topic Originator: buffy  
Date:   Thu 3 Mar 20:24

A civil court found him guilty ~ and he (and his co-accused) were ordered to pay compensation. AFAIK neither did. Robertson however, which Goodwillie arrogantly avoided, retired from football upon the outcome of the civil action, despite previously signing for Cowdenbeath (but didn’t play).

I very much doubt that anyone legally involved in the case cares a jot about what people think of the incident itself, where the blame lies etc. The court made a decision and that’s all that matters.

You can all argue and try to get one over each other ~ it won’t make any difference to the above.

”Buffy’s Buns are the finest in Fife”, J. Spence 2019”
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: David goodwillie
Topic Originator: red-star-par  
Date:   Thu 3 Mar 22:26

Quote:

Jeffery, Thu 3 Mar 20:04

Quote:

AdamAntsParsStripe, Thu 3 Mar 19:00

Quote:

Jeffery, Thu 3 Mar 18:46

Great statement. The statement uses the word `contrition` and that for me is a big issue here. It`s disgusting for him to not apologise and show remorse. Even if he believes he`s innocent he still contributed to what happened just by being involved.

Whether it`s from the heart or not he could surely give a carefully worded statement apologising for the hurt of the victim while at the same time not saying that he`s guilty of a crime?

His lack of regret is just horrifying.


Your black and white view of this case is illuminating using the words `disgusting`, `Horrifying` and `victim`
You say yourself he believes he was innocent of rape but he must show remorse regardless even though doing that means he will be pulled up in court pronto.
I`m not a kangaroo court so I really don`t know if he is guilty but what I can say is, his lawyer would have advised him to not admit guilt or remorse so that criminal proceedings would re-commence.


My point is that he`s shown no compassion for her. It should be possible to say, `I am sorry for the hurt you`ve been through`, regardless of guilt.


I guess it all depends on what happened there. Maybe he committed a awful crime, but maybe he didn`t. Or maybe in his warped mind, he feels, he didn`t do anything wrong. No one, outside of the threesome involved will ever really know. He may feel that he did nothing wrong and may actually feel he is the victim in all this, maybe that`s why he hasn`t apologised. If he is going to apologise he might be wise getting the lawyers of The Andrew Formally Known as Prince to draft something up, so it doesn`t end up getting used against him.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: David goodwillie
Topic Originator: GG4  
Date:   Thu 3 Mar 23:05

As I thought Clyde trying to terminate the scumbags loan. Looks like DG is going back to linoland. They`re stuck with him now, only option is to pay him off.

[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: David goodwillie
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Fri 4 Mar 07:23

Quote:

GG4, Thu 3 Mar 23:05

As I thought Clyde trying to terminate the scumbags loan. Looks like DG is going back to linoland. They`re stuck with him now, only option is to pay him off.


How does that work? Presumably Clyde were the ones who agreed to the loan in the first place?
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: David goodwillie
Topic Originator: Bamba-Daft  
Date:   Fri 4 Mar 08:08

Quote:

buffy, Thu 03 Mar 20:24

A civil court found him guilty ~ and he (and his co-accused) were ordered to pay compensation. AFAIK neither did. Robertson however, which Goodwillie arrogantly avoided, retired from football upon the outcome of the civil action, despite previously signing for Cowdenbeath (but didn’t play).

I very much doubt that anyone legally involved in the case cares a jot about what people think of the incident itself, where the blame lies etc. The court made a decision and that’s all that matters.

You can all argue and try to get one over each other ~ it won’t make any difference to the above.


You cannot be found guilty in a civil court. The judge either rules in favour of the defendant or the plaintiff regarding compensation. Whether people like it or not, he isn’t “guilty” of anything
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: David goodwillie
Topic Originator: TAFKA_Super_Petrie  
Date:   Fri 4 Mar 09:09

Does this mean anyone else will be banned from entering Broadwood to use the council gym and other facilities if they`ve had previous. Employees included?

Whole thing is turning into a bit of a circus now.

---------------------------------------------------------------


"People always talk about Ronaldinho and magic, but I didn't see him today. I saw Henrik Larsson; that's where the magic was."
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: David goodwillie
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Fri 4 Mar 09:26

Radio Scotland reporting that Clyde have now done an about turn and deciding not to take him back.

A mixture of public opinion plus North Lanarkshire Council’s stance on Broadwood clearly in play.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: David goodwillie
Topic Originator: PARrot  
Date:   Fri 4 Mar 10:59

Serious question. If she was awarded damages and he didnt pay up because he couldnt due to bankruptcy, can Raith not pay her direct from what they owe him. If he agreed to this it would help his case, and Raith`s a wee bit. If he didn`t agree, could they still do it?

[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: David goodwillie
Topic Originator: GG4  
Date:   Fri 4 Mar 11:12

Topic Originator: jake89
Date: Fri 4 Mar 07:23

Quote:

GG4, Thu 3 Mar 23:05

As I thought Clyde trying to terminate the scumbags loan. Looks like DG is going back to linoland. They`re stuck with him now, only option is to pay him off.


How does that work? Presumably Clyde were the ones who agreed to the loan in the first place?

Clyde allegedly have an early termination release in the loan deal. He`s Rovers problem again by the looks of it.

[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: David goodwillie
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Fri 4 Mar 11:19

Topic Originator: PARrot
Date: Fri 4 Mar 10:59

Serious question. If she was awarded damages and he didnt pay up because he couldnt due to bankruptcy, can Raith not pay her direct from what they owe him. If he agreed to this it would help his case, and Raith`s a wee bit. If he didn`t agree, could they still do it?


Thinking similar to that myself PARot

We are forever shaped by the Children we once were
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: David goodwillie
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Fri 4 Mar 13:14

This whole thing is a mess. If I was Goodwillie and could afford it, I`d be tempted to simply walk away.

I recall it was debated significantly on this forum before about whether or not higher profile figures should be allowed to return to roles after committing such acts. A big part of it was how high profile people are more likely to be in the press meaning the victim will have a reminder in their face. Goodwillie was kind of under the radar at Clyde but this whole debacle has magnified it all and no doubt opened old wounds.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: David goodwillie
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Fri 4 Mar 13:27

Quote:

Buspasspar, Fri 4 Mar 11:19

Topic Originator: PARrot
Date: Fri 4 Mar 10:59

Serious question. If she was awarded damages and he didnt pay up because he couldnt due to bankruptcy, can Raith not pay her direct from what they owe him. If he agreed to this it would help his case, and Raith`s a wee bit. If he didn`t agree, could they still do it?


Thinking similar to that myself PARot


He would need to agree. If he did end up avoiding paying on the basis of being bankrupt then I`d assume she`d need to take him back to court now that there`s evidence he has the means to cough up.

Raith/Clyde can`t simply decide to give his wages elsewhere. If that were the case then you`d have the debt collectors going direct to your employer. Despite what he`s done, he still has to pay his bills. I`d rather those bills were paid by a private business rather than through my taxes in the form of benefits.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: David goodwillie
Topic Originator: buffy  
Date:   Fri 4 Mar 14:24

Re the compensation, it’s probably time barred now.

Re this whole situation, it’s unfortunately not a surprise that the club, which had him for 5 years, weren’t bothered about his signing, given their outdated attitude to women as a whole. I’m talking from both a personal experience, and, those of male and female counterparts. It was “to be expected”. Thankfully, for me, it was a one off.

Given the majority of comments on social media are directed to the ladies team ~ and not the board of directors ~ it’s obvious, and ironic, why they’d be ignored if they had spoken up before now (maybe they did); would anyone actually have taken any notice of comments from a ladies’ team given their position within a men’s club; and, folk seem to have ignored the fact that they now no longer have anywhere to play, never mind the club itself may be without a stadium soon, and cash flow will be a major problem.

Instead of questioning why now? Consider the opportunity that their voices have been heard, now.

”Buffy’s Buns are the finest in Fife”, J. Spence 2019”
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: David goodwillie
Topic Originator: RMGpar  
Date:   Fri 4 Mar 15:33

I am guessing he can no longer get employment anywhere?

Will there be mass walks out etc if he had to go get a job at amazon etc?

[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: David goodwillie
Topic Originator: AlterPar  
Date:   Fri 4 Mar 17:27

Hopefully he doesn’t get a job RMG but of course there wouldn’t be mass walk outs from a place like Amazon.

My hope is that he stubs his toe every minute for the rest of his days
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: David goodwillie
Topic Originator: neils  
Date:   Fri 4 Mar 19:20

He can easily get a job pretty much anywhere.

All he has to do is acknowledge and regret his past, and correct his extreme darkside. The man, as well as being a rapist is a prize tool after all.

All people have to work at their weak points, and in his case he needs A LOT of work which he has not done

So, no, he cannot just ` get a job at Amazon` or anywhere, do you think it`s an employer`s job or wish to take this on without anything from the person himself?

Yes, I believe in redemption, and yes, I believe he has a future in employment if he corrects his behaviour, but no he doesn`t have a `right` to anything

Football is simply not an environment for his rehabilitation, he must look elsewhere, and change. He is 33, so football is not an option.

[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: David goodwillie
Topic Originator: ianbd6  
Date:   Fri 4 Mar 20:07

When the Rovers signed Goodwillie I found it hard to think that they never approached the lass herself to ask her how she would feel if they signed him. If she said she hopes he burns in hell then walk away. But if she says I`ve had my day in court I couldn`t care less then sign him. The lass has been ignored in this whole sorry episode.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: David goodwillie
Topic Originator: neils  
Date:   Fri 4 Mar 20:16

Yes, they just seemed to walk over and brush aside others deep felt feelings, simply defies belief that they should have even considered it, the management, directors etc surely have daughters, partners etc as well as a fair chunk of their support being female.

What was anyone thinking?

[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: David goodwillie
Topic Originator: red-star-par  
Date:   Fri 4 Mar 20:32

Quote:

RMGpar, Fri 4 Mar 15:33

I am guessing he can no longer get employment anywhere?

Will there be mass walks out etc if he had to go get a job at amazon etc?


If he does end up getting a job at Amazon, is Val McDairmid going to remove all her books from that outlet and denounce them? Will everyone boycott Amazon?
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: David goodwillie
Topic Originator: fcda  
Date:   Fri 4 Mar 21:08

Most debts are settled (wiped or paid a nominal amount on bankruptcy), but not all: Debts Not Included In Bankruptcy

Surprised this didn`t apply:
[I]Debts Gained Just Before Bankruptcy
Any debts obtained just before bankruptcy, where there was no possibility of the credit agreement being honoured (the debt paid) will be excluded from bankruptcy.[/I]
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: David goodwillie
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Fri 4 Mar 22:10

"Re the compensation, it’s probably time barred now."

Interesting point.

However she wasn`t going to gain financially whatever way it panned out in the original ruling - she would have had to repay her Legal Aid grant if the £100,000 had come her way.

[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: David goodwillie
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Sat 5 Mar 07:02

Quote:

DBP, Thu 3 Mar 19:16

GG I like watching football, have ST for years but to be honest-have enough other interests and things in my life that after 5pm on a Saturday, I tend not to pay a huge amount of interest, especially in what other teams etc are doing.


I hope you didn`t interpret my post as doubting you in any way, DBP. I get that some fans, like yourself, have a life outside of football and that the football itself is limited to the team they support for a few hours a week.

I`m at the other end of the spectrum. Since I retired, I`ve ended up watching and/or reading about football on a daily basis. It`s perhaps not ideal, but it`s helped to keep me sane, especially during this damned pandemic.



Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: David goodwillie
Topic Originator: DBP  
Date:   Sat 5 Mar 07:36

Hey no worries GG

I’m probably the opposite… too many interests and hobbies (and still running around after 3 kids) - but that’s kinda what I’m like at work as well …jack of all trades and no real interest to become a master of any of them
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: David goodwillie
Topic Originator: TAFKA_Super_Petrie  
Date:   Fri 22 Apr 00:26

That`s Clyde now terminated their lease of Broadwood with North Lanarkshire Council.

Apparently going to ground share with Hamilton.

I know Clyde fans have wanted this for years but given the timing i suspect this will partly due to the nonsense of them banning Goodwillie from entering the stadium.

---------------------------------------------------------------


"People always talk about Ronaldinho and magic, but I didn't see him today. I saw Henrik Larsson; that's where the magic was."
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: David goodwillie
Topic Originator: sadindiefreak  
Date:   Fri 22 Apr 07:20

Quote:

TAFKA_Super_Petrie, Fri 22 Apr 00:26

That`s Clyde now terminated their lease of Broadwood with North Lanarkshire Council.

Apparently going to ground share with Hamilton.

I know Clyde fans have wanted this for years but given the timing i suspect this will partly due to the nonsense of them banning Goodwillie from entering the stadium.


Accies fans having a meltdown over this.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 


Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:
   
 Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net