DAFC.net
Home 28 November 2022 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Yogi
Topic Originator: desparado  
Date:   Fri 18 Mar 22:47

The funny jovial joker looks like he has seen a ghost now. Looks like a broken man. Ashen faced and on the verge of giving up....

[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Yogi
Topic Originator: da_no_1  
Date:   Fri 18 Mar 22:57

Quote:

desparado, Fri 18 Mar 22:47

The funny jovial joker looks like he has seen a ghost now. Looks like a broken man. Ashen faced and on the verge of giving up....

What a pointless post

"Some days will stay a 1000 years, some pass like the flash of a spark"
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: PARrot  
Date:   Fri 18 Mar 23:28

Quote:

desparado, Fri 18 Mar 22:47

Behave.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Fri 18 Mar 23:34

He doesn`t sound too down in his post-match interview on COWS. Do folk just make this kind of stuff up? If so, why?

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: neils  
Date:   Sat 19 Mar 00:31

He does have a right to be knackered you know....can`t be good for the blood pressure that job.

If he was looking super healthy you would probably slag him off for being a wage thief!

Yours,

Happy Clapper.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Berkey  
Date:   Sat 19 Mar 06:53

I agree, yogi has tried everything to get results, he’s tried one upfront, 1 upfront, 1 upfront and even 10 in goal, defence and midfield and it still hasn’t worked.

Things will be looking up……..now yogi is gone!

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: gordi-b  
Date:   Sat 19 Mar 07:30

This nonsense of bringing on a sub with a few minutes to go is bewildering, , doesn,t have a plan B , no better than the clown we had before

G.B
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 19 Mar 08:03

The way folk on here go on about `one up front` you`d think Yogi had invented it and was unique in playing it. In fact most teams play it. Bringing on a sub in the last 10 minutes is fairly common too.

[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: Perkins  
Date:   Sat 19 Mar 08:12

I think folk go on about it because we play it every week for almost 90 mins and score very few goals and win very few games.

Hughes saying in his interview there`s been a massive improvement since he came to the club is laughable

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 19 Mar 08:50

Quote:

Perkins, Sat 19 Mar 08:12

I think folk go on about it because we play it every week for almost 90 mins and score very few goals and win very few games.

Hughes saying in his interview there`s been a massive improvement since he came to the club is laughable

It isnt laughable. It is true. We have improved but so have the teams around us. Our recent performances have been good apart from the final product.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: desparado  
Date:   Sat 19 Mar 08:58

My point was that looking at him in the dug out last night he looks exasperated ,forlorn.......even the match commentators said as much so if you think my op is pointless then fair enough. Just calling what I witnessed with his body language.

Post Edited (Sat 19 Mar 09:02)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Parallel Lines  
Date:   Sat 19 Mar 09:20

Not the man to lead our league one promotion charge next year.

I looked for my pet in all the books on animals and birds and then I found it in the Book of Revelations.Marty Feldman
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: North Wales Par  
Date:   Sat 19 Mar 09:25

Sooty but he persists on playing one up front and here lies the issue. We can dominate as many games as possible but you need goals. As soon as McCann came on we made chances and looked like winning the game and everyone watching knew we were screaming out for another forward. If he can’t see this he is not the man for the job and will take us down.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Sat 19 Mar 09:57

I`m somewhat confused. When McCann was starting every week, there were loads of negative posts about him, suggesting he wasn`t good enough. Now we have folk saying he should have been on much earlier or even started and we might have won the game. There`s also a conviction that playing with 2 strikers would guarantee goals - well maybes aye, maybes naw. If you play with 5 in midfield, they should have more freedom to get up and support the lone striker. He has to be able to hold the ball up of course and play them in as they flood forward. That`s the theory anyway. 🙂

As Raymie said in another post, neither O`Hara nor McCann are penalty box predators, so playing them both at the expense of a midfielder may not produce the desired effect. Not saying Yogi shouldn`t give that a try v Partick. If it`s clearly not working after an hour, he can always sub one of them.

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: AJ27  
Date:   Sat 19 Mar 10:12

GG there are undoubtedly a few on here who just don’t rate Lewis - many though are like me and think he has real potential but feel it was unfair on him (and the team) to play him on his own up front. To me it’s been obvious for some time that the way we are playing isn’t working (and the stats bear this out) and we need to try 2 up - no problem at all with Lewis being one of these. We have dominated the last 4 games and come away with 3 draws and a defeat (is this really any better than Grant was doing in his last few games after he changed his formation?) - it feels like Yogi is putting this down to bad luck. Was there anyone in the ground last night who wasn’t crying out for an earlier substitution?

Lots of people on here saying he’ll surely go 2 up front on Tuesday but I’ve been thinking this for weeks - I suspect he won’t ( McCann was holding his shoulder so gives him the perfect excuse to just stick with O’Hara) - hopefully he proves me wrong.

Andy J
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: weemike  
Date:   Sat 19 Mar 10:53

Maybe we dominated because we were 5 in mid, playing 2 up front my change that and we are chasing the game more.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Parfect69  
Date:   Sat 19 Mar 10:57

I stand by my posts re McCann, he scored a very good goal last night and thank god for that. Even I was shouting for him to come on. However he needs to play with someone else he is not a lone striker. I also thought he came across very well in his interview. Well done Lewis.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 19 Mar 11:10

The fact is there were quite a few on here saying McCann wasn`t good enough and now he should be playing apparently.

Reading between the lines I`d say, as weemike suggests, that Yogi still feels we need an extra man in midfield to get control of a game and the downside to that is to have a lone striker. Unfortunately none of our strikers is ideally suited to that role. Moyo of Hamilton showed last week how influential the right player in that role can be.

I think Yogi`s trying to give more support to the lone striker by signing Polworth as a more attacking midfielder but I don`t think he`s quite match sharp yet. Having Thomas available now is a help too.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parsfan97  
Date:   Sat 19 Mar 11:21

Thomas must start every game now, he creates so much more than dow and the fact he’s probably our best player he should be first name on the team sheet every week. Hope killie win today and sets us up for Tuesday night to get off bottom of the table

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Bucuresti Par  
Date:   Sat 19 Mar 11:44

I think it`s fair to say we need more from Yogi as well as the players. He has done ok since he came in but we need more than that. I get that its not his style to stand ranting at the players/officials all game, but I think if he was a bit more active on the touchline, that might psychologically show the players he is with them and shows some more passion to the supporters.

Tactically, we continue to persist with the same shape, we are playing quite well, and results haven`t matched performances in the last few games, but some more variation is possible with the squad we have and it would give the opposition more to worry about. We are not talking about several formation changes per game, but being more open to playing 2 out and out strikers for longer periods, getting the attacking midfielders to swap positions from time to time - all of Thomas, Lawless and Polworth (and Dow) can play any of left, right or central attacking midfielder.

Substitutions as well, be more dynamic, take more risks and make them earlier, we can make subs even when we are playing well!

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Kessel  
Date:   Sat 19 Mar 11:54

I agree that we have improved since John Hughes came in as manager. Not by much though and to say that improvement is "massive" is mental.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DA-go Par Adonis  
Date:   Sat 19 Mar 12:08

We`re 4 wins, 7 draws and 5 defeats in the last 16 games. It`s a reasonable improvement.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I love it when we go sell Kevin Nisbet,
He's gonna pay for everyone this season.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: plainview  
Date:   Sat 19 Mar 12:11

Will two up top get us more goals? Maybe not. Will it prevent us from being able to pass around and “dominate”? Maybe. But the fact is what we’ve seen with 5 in midfield has not got us enough points to stay up! We are at breaking point now and we have two options: (1) stay with what we’ve been doing and hope we get a few wins by suddenly finishing every one of the very few chances we create without conceding stupid goals or (2) change things up and pray it’s a fix. The possibility is neither of these will be enough to get us into 8th at this point but I’d rather we tried something different than draw our way to relegation!
At the very very least 2 up top needs to happen much earlier in the 2nd half if we’re not already up a goal!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: weemike  
Date:   Sat 19 Mar 12:18

I think on another night we would’ve won quite easily and we wouldn’t be having this conversation,

I believe the philosophy will be one up front with the team improving week on week with the aim of survival,

It may be the case that changing formation and philosophy puts that week on week improving on ice,

Just my thoughts

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: RossF  
Date:   Sat 19 Mar 12:19

I admit last night that I would have preferred to see Todorov come on instead of McCann and I personally would have changed it at half time. We got ourselves into crossing positions so many times last night and I felt a player like Todorov would have taken advantage of a few of them, due to being more physical and decent in the air. McCann came on (far far too late) and made a difference. Two up front is the answer. The only person that cannot see that is the manager. If he goes back to one up front against Partick it shows he clearly doesn`t have a clue. McCann and O`Hara would be much more dangerous up front together.

On another note, I noticed last night a bit of frustration from Dow and McCann when the coach (who`s name escapes me) ran down to them to instruct them to warm up (even though they already were). We were very lucky to get that goal last night as it gave some of the fans hope. The only way I`ll have a glimmer of hope is if he plays two up front and we are a bit more direct. Teams are more than happy defending against a team who can pass all day with no end product.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 19 Mar 12:22

We weren`t lucky to get the goal last night in any way shape or form. The rest of your post isn`t worth reading if that`s what you think

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 19 Mar 12:50

Well said, da no 1, I was just about to post something similar. It`s laughable how many folk on here are absolutely convinced that the changes they would have made would have improved things. In their world there is no possibility that, say, sacrificing a man in midfield early in the second half might might have lost us control of the game.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 19 Mar 12:58

You totally misunderstood the point, but that`s not surprising - so I`ll expand on it for you. What I meant is that it gave the fans hope - if we didn`t score the atmosphere will be much more different.

My idea of change might not have worked. On the other hand we might have won - we`ll never know. What is blindingly obviously however is that McCann and O`Hara will both benefit playing up front together rather than being playing the lone striker role. The substitution should have been made much earlier as we were desperately needing change. It`s not working with one up front and that`s why we are where we are.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 19 Mar 13:07

Wee eck, you’re right - sacrificing a midfielder to play 2 up top may have meant we’d lost, we’ll never know. What I do know is that we’ve persevered with 5 midfielders all season and we are bottom of the league and we only rescued a point last night when we went 2 up top. Surely if something is consistently not working it’s worth trying an alternative?

Andy J
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Indiapar  
Date:   Sat 19 Mar 13:44

I think Morton allowed us to knock the ball around and defend their box to an extent. They sat on the one goal lead as far as possible. Credit to the Pars for the effort they put in. We have definately improved since JH came in so we are going in the right direction. Defensively we are not good enough which is why he shapes the team up as he does. At the end of the day, fortune favours the brave and on these last few games we need two up front as others have said. May as well go down fighting.

Post Edited (Sat 19 Mar 13:45)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 19 Mar 14:22

I still don`t understand how getting that goal was `very lucky` in any sense at all.

My point is that it is one thing sitting at a keyboard or on your phone and suggesting a change you think will change the game and a completely different thing sitting in the dug-out deciding how to change things. I think it was Leanne Crichton who explained it after the game. She said if a manager has decided on a certain way to play which he thinks suits the players at his disposal and has been working on this all week it is unlikely he will change it during the game unless something goes drastically wrong. After the first 10 minutes or so of the second half we were in charge of the game.

Like it or not, Yogi thinks we need an extra man in midfield. Say he had started with two up front, maybe Morton would have had more of the ball, more chances and scored more than one, especially with our tendency to lose cheap goals, and the game could have been over by half-time. It`s all very well saying `go for it` but there are still 7 games to go and the manager`s got to think about winning games while making sure we don`t shoot ourselves in the foot by losing touch completely with our rivals.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 19 Mar 14:47

I mean we were lucky to get the goal as it would have been an awful atmosphere last night had we lost. Not that we were lucky to get a point. Fans were getting restless and frustrated about the lack of change and the stubbornness to stick with one man up front when we were chasing the game. Getting the goal felt like it gave a lot of fans some hope at film time. If that had finished 1-0 regardless whether we were the better team or not, it would have over for many - including myself. We deserved something from the game but the sub was made far too late and a draw was still not a good result.

We are bottom of the league for a reason and it is mainly down to a manager trying to play a certain way, which clearly isn`t working. How can it not be obvious that something has to change on the pitch. The players are giving it their all and it still isn`t good enough. That clearly means the manager has to think of something else? I really don`t get how you can berate fans and say it`s laughable their opinions differ from Yogi that we should try two up front. It clearly made a difference last night and there is zero evidence that one up front is working. We maybe play pretty passing football but there is very little end product from it. Granted, two up front might not work but at least we`ve tried to change away from something that currently has us bottom of the table. We are still conceding cheap goals with the extra man in midfield anyway.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 19 Mar 14:55

"My point is that it is one thing sitting at a keyboard or on your phone and suggesting a change you think will change the game and a completely different thing sitting in the dug-out deciding how to change things. I think it was Leanne Crichton who explained it after the game. She said if a manager has decided on a certain way to play which he thinks suits the players at his disposal and has been working on this all week it is unlikely he will change it during the game unless something goes drastically wrong. After the first 10 minutes or so of the second half we were in charge of the game."

We are the worst team in the league. Something needs to change or we get relegated

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 19 Mar 14:55

We weren`t lucky. We deserved it

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Grant  
Date:   Sat 19 Mar 15:14

Quote:

da_no_1, Sat 19 Mar 14:55

That isn`t the point he`s making.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 19 Mar 15:22

Quote:

Grant, Sat 19 Mar 15:14

Quote:

It`s a ridiculous negative argument so no surprise you agree.

Post Edited (Sat 19 Mar 15:23)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: JTH123  
Date:   Sat 19 Mar 15:59

I stopped reading after "I mean we were lucky to get the goal...".
I`ve just watched the game back. Lucky doesn`t describe the team last night.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: gopars  
Date:   Sat 19 Mar 16:13

Michael Stewart was saying on commentary that we needed someone to get to the byline for a cross, too many crosses from around the 18yd area, when we finally hit one the goal was scored. If he can see it why can`t Yogi? I don`t blame the strikers it`s the backward passes and easily defended crosses that are killing us

Cut me do I not bleed black and white.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 19 Mar 16:21

Corners are usually hit from the by-line!

I agree with you though that we need to get behind defences more and get them facing their own goal but we did put in some decent crosses from deep positions, including Polworth`s for O`Hara`s `goal`. Ideally you want to cross them in from various positions.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 19 Mar 16:33

Quote:

da_no_1, Sat 19 Mar 15:22

Quote:

Quote:

No surprise you totally fail to engage with a post and instead just have a dig at a poster, have you ever posted a thought or an opinion on this forum that wasn`t a dig at another poster? Maybe one day.

Once again though, that wasn`t the point he`s making, as he`s explained to you twice, do better.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 19 Mar 16:50

da no 1. I`m just going to go with the mindset that you`re on the windup or just looking for an argument out of nothing.. I haven`t really said anything negative and once again the term lucky wasn`t meant for us being lucky to get a draw. It`s really not that difficult to understand...

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Raymie the Legend  
Date:   Sat 19 Mar 17:03

Taking Todd off and replacing him with McCann was absolutely the right decision. My gripe would be that it should have happened when Gozie was subbed, leaving Reilly as their only man up front. That happened on 64 minutes.

It's bloody tough being a legend
Ron Atkinson - 1983

Post Edited (Sat 19 Mar 17:04)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 19 Mar 17:06

Quote:

RossF, Sat 19 Mar 12:19

I admit last night that I would have preferred to see Todorov come on instead of McCann and I personally would have changed it at half time. We got ourselves into crossing positions so many times last night and I felt a player like Todorov would have taken advantage of a few of them, due to being more physical and decent in the air. McCann came on (far far too late) and made a difference. Two up front is the answer. The only person that cannot see that is the manager. If he goes back to one up front against Partick it shows he clearly doesn`t have a clue. McCann and O`Hara would be much more dangerous up front together.

On another note, I noticed last night a bit of frustration from Dow and McCann when the coach (who`s name escapes me) ran down to them to instruct them to warm up (even though they already were). We were very lucky to get that goal last night as it gave some of the fans hope. The only way I`ll have a glimmer of hope is if he plays two up front and we are a bit more direct. Teams are more than happy defending against a team who can pass all day with no end product.

We werent lucky at all. They would have been exceptionally lucky if we didnt take something after hitting the woodwork having a good goal disallowed and 69% possession.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 19 Mar 17:07

Quote:

Grant, Sat 19 Mar 16:33

Quote:

da_no_1, Sat 19 Mar 15:22

Quote:

Quote:

No surprise you totally fail to engage with a post and instead just have a dig at a poster, have you ever posted a thought or an opinion on this forum that wasn`t a dig at another poster? Maybe one day.

Once again though, that wasn`t the point he`s making, as he`s explained to you twice, do better.

Look harder

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 19 Mar 17:41

It was a very poor use of the word `lucky`. If RossF had expressed himself better he probably would not have attracted all the criticism he did.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 19 Mar 17:58

I`ll hold my hands up as well to be fair. The older I get the harder it is not to bite. I`ve read his posts again and i kinda see what he`s getting at. I don`t think he means we were lucky to get a point. Think he meant it was lucky for the players and Hughes that we did otherwise the atmosphere at the end would have been completely different.

Grant I`ve no beef with you but your posts annoy me just as much as mine do you. That`s life. I don`t go out my way to abuse people on here. There are posts on here by much the same people every week who just wind me up. I`ve seen your posts on here and Pie and Bovril. You are a very opinionated guy so it shouldn`t come as a surprise that folk disagree with you. Peace and love 👍

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 19 Mar 17:58

All three of the usual suspects with the rod out 😂 Either that or they don`t read posts properly because it`s clear as day what I meant.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 19 Mar 17:59

Quote:

RossF, Sat 19 Mar 17:58

All three of the usual suspects with the rod out 😂 Either that or they don`t read posts properly because it`s clear as day what I meant.

It clearly wasn`t Ross

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 19 Mar 18:02

It clearly was. You just hit the nail on the head with your previous post. That and the fact it still gives fans hope. Also there was not a lot negative about my post.

At the end of the day I guess that`s the issue with posting on a forum compared to talking face to face. Things can get read out of context.

Post Edited (Sat 19 Mar 18:04)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 19 Mar 18:13

`Usual suspects`? Who are they? Anyone who disagrees with you and your apparent certainty that you can read a game better than any professional?

`We were very lucky to get that goal as it gave some of the fans hope`. I still don`t see how that means anything other than that we were lucky to score.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 19 Mar 18:41

Quote:

RossF, Sat 19 Mar 18:02

It clearly was. You just hit the nail on the head with your previous post. That and the fact it still gives fans hope. Also there was not a lot negative about my post.

At the end of the day I guess that`s the issue with posting on a forum compared to talking face to face. Things can get read out of context.

Very clearly wasn`t.
But apologies for getting you wrong all the same.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 19 Mar 20:47

`Usual suspects`? Who are they? Anyone who disagrees with you and your apparent certainty that you can read a game better than any professional?

`We were very lucky to get that goal as it gave some of the fans hope`. I still don`t see how that means anything other than that we were lucky to score.

The usual suspects are the ones who rather than having a balanced conversation about things resort to name calling or smug remarks. You can make up your mind on that. Also football is a game where your average punter can have an opinion about the way football is played that could work better. There are broadcasters and pundits that make a lot of money talking about how football should be played who haven`t kicked a ball professionally. The difference is we wouldn`t know how to deal with players day in day out, set up training etc. I`m pretty sure that another manager could come in and play two up front and get results. On the flip side, a manager could come in play two up front and we`d get thumped - you just don`t know what will happen! I`m quite happy to admit I could be wrong but if we don`t try two upfront and keep losing/drawing with one up front we will go down! It could click but so far it clearly is not! If he sticks with one up front, I seriously hope we can do it but there`s no evidence it will.

After the word `goal` explains the lucky part. I personally cannot understand how people don`t get that but that`s what I mean. A better word could have been used but that is what I meant. da no 1 got it in his last post.

No worries Parrot it just goes to show how something looks when it is written. I think it was pretty obvious but it can be taken another way...

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 19 Mar 22:11

The obvious thing to say would have been `It was good/great/fantastic to get that goal as it gave some of the fans hope`. There are some folk on here who seem to have a problem giving the team credit for anything.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: sammer  
Date:   Sat 19 Mar 22:18

PARot just parrots the party line, as his name suggest. He can be irritating but he does offer a reasonable explanation of the status quo, whether that be Peter Grant or John Hughes.

Wee Eck is probably the most cautious contributor on this site, a man who knows from experience that change does not mean better. I like his contributions even when I disagree with them.

Grant is a young two fisted type, full of balls and bravado, but at least he always defends his opinions with evidence. I don’t know if I would like him if I met him, but I would respect him. I want to hear all these voices.

This is a discussion forum and if we can’t tolerate opinions we don’t like then we should go to church on a Sunday morning.

sammer
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 19 Mar 23:32

Good to see you`re back on form, sammer!

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 20 Mar 00:15

Well I`ve explained what I meant, we`re just going in circles now. You could
have asked me to elaborate but just assumed I meant we were lucky to get the draw. We are bottom of the league at the moment so it is difficult to find positives in that. There are a few positives but unfortunately there are many more negatives than positives at the moment. I seriously hope that changes - starting Tuesday.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Rigger Al  
Date:   Sun 20 Mar 00:25

I see improvement under Yogi ,but other teams beside us has also improved .I still think we will survive
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 20 Mar 06:50

I’m with Rigger.

Yogi won’t compromise on how he thinks the best way Is to win a game. I would say probably all, or nearly all managers are like this? Pep, Klopp, Bielsa, Lampard are good examples.

Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: kelty_par  
Date:   Sun 20 Mar 07:24

Pep often changes things around (some say too much as he has a habit of overthinking things in big European games) whioe maintaining the same blueprint. Klopp for sure does but has the players and the fantastic ability to spot players who can play his style (who knew Jota would have been such a fantastic signing?). Bielsa was recently sacked mostly because he refused to change his style when he didn`t have the players he needed due to injury and Covid-19, and Lampard is a young coach very much learning his trade with questionable results so far. So i wouldn`t say they are great examples. But each one is also operating at a much higher level - its all fine and well wanting to have a style or philosophy at our level (and both managers we`ve had this season have denied they do by the way, which is hilarious) but it will be very difficult to get a team let alone a squad who can play that way. When fans see players who maybe weren`t suited to the "style" lose their places in the team to seemingly poorer players who do, it is frustrating. When people see no plan B or no change until last few moments, they get angry. When fans, media pundits and opposition players all say the same thing, when do people start to think that maybe they have s point rather than being so stubborn?

PS I also understood RossF`s point. Its like when you say "it`s lucky I got here in time to see that" or "it`s lucky I didn`t eat that curry otherwise it could have been me with the food poisoning" - it`s an expression rather than being to do with actual luck.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 20 Mar 07:43

Quote:

Raymie the Legend, Sun 20 Mar 06:50

I’m with Rigger.

Yogi won’t compromise on how he thinks the best way Is to win a game. I would say probably all, or nearly all managers are like this? Pep, Klopp, Bielsa, Lampard are good examples.

This. ^^^^^

A new manager comes in, assesses his squad, makes some additions if his budget allows and then decides how he can best set them up - in his professional opinion. His job depends on how successful his tactics and formation are.

Many new managers make a bright start, gradually fade and are eventually sacked, still using the same philosophy. Mourinho is a prime example. That`s not so much the fault of the tactics, but opposing managers study match footage and devise counter tactics to combat them successfully.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Indiapar  
Date:   Sun 20 Mar 09:09

I think as someone has said we are not getting into enough wide areas. Tge balls coming into the box from midfield are easy to defend. Too many sideways passes and loss of momentum going forward. We have alot of possession but not enough attempts on goal from spaces that we open up. If you get into wide areas and beat the defender you have beaten the defence and also turning them making their job more difficult. You also have the opportunity to pick up the second ball at the edge of the box. I agree that as a style of play dominating possession is where we want to be, but we need to be able to put the ball away from the edge of the box. We do lack a bit of composure with that I think.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Berkey  
Date:   Sun 20 Mar 09:20

I mean why don’t we play no one upfront and pass the ball about between our 5 defenders and 5 midfielders, we could dominate position and probably pick up a 0-0 in most games if the other team is happy with a point.

1 up front hasn’t worked for what almost 30 games now? Clear the only striker yogi has any time for is McCann. Maybe it could work if we had the right striker but yogi signed the likes of chalmers rather than understanding goals win games.

If he can’t get a team with Dom and lawless in it to score goals at this level it’s the way the team is set up that’s the problem.

Things will be looking up……..now yogi is gone!

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 20 Mar 09:26

Dom`s hardly played any games since Yogi came but don`t let that stop you making another rant about the manager.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 20 Mar 10:16

Thank you Kelty par and Grant for seeing where I was coming from.

I`m starting to get that `we can do it` feeling again after seeing the results yesterday and how depleted the Partick team looks. I think McCann and O`Hara (or even Todorov with one of the two) can work up front with the service of Thomas and Lawless on the wings. I`d love to see it tried on Tuesday but whether we do or not, it`s a must win game. Win on Tuesday and it should give us a big confidence boost for the remaining games.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 20 Mar 10:28

I`d be astounded if he goes with 2 up front on Tuesday night so prepare to be disappointed before kick off.

FWIW I know it took an age on Friday night to get a reward but I was quite impressed how we refuse to panic and just hump it up the park looking for an equaliser. It`s just a pity that header at the death didn`t find the net.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 20 Mar 10:43

"I`d be astounded if he goes with 2 up front on Tuesday night so prepare to be disappointed before kick off."

Tuesday will absolutely be more of the same. Yogi`s ego comes first

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 20 Mar 10:47

Maybe it`s not a question of ego, maybe it`s because he believes that`s the best way to avoid relegation. To coin an old sporting cliche - it`s a marathon, not a sprint.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 20 Mar 11:31

"To coin an old sporting cliche - it`s a marathon, not a sprint."

7 games left. It`s a sprint

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 20 Mar 11:38

Yeah, but people have been saying it was a sprint since he was appointed. Football fans aren`t renowned for having patience.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GJS93  
Date:   Sun 20 Mar 11:38

"I think McCann and O`Hara (or even Todorov with one of the two) can work up front with the service of Thomas and Lawless on the wings."

i dont think that would work at all and i wouldnt play Thomas and Lawless together as wide players in that either.
people want 2 up front, its either go 3 at the back and you only play 1 of Thomas, Lawless and ill include Polworth too or you go 4132 with all of them and you tell the full backs to not go forward basically.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: JTH123  
Date:   Sun 20 Mar 13:13

We have guys who are comfortable on the ball right across the middle now. I`m not necessarily saying we should go 2 up front but at least we're not as reliant on DT as we were.
Having watched the game back yesterday the word that resonated with me was "predictable". I think it`s too easy to stop us creating with only O`Hara up front. McCann would be a better choice for me.

Post Edited (Sun 20 Mar 13:14)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 20 Mar 18:42

Quote:

da_no_1, Sat 19 Mar 17:58

I`ll hold my hands up as well to be fair. The older I get the harder it is not to bite. I`ve read his posts again and i kinda see what he`s getting at. I don`t think he means we were lucky to get a point. Think he meant it was lucky for the players and Hughes that we did otherwise the atmosphere at the end would have been completely different.

Grant I`ve no beef with you but your posts annoy me just as much as mine do you. That`s life. I don`t go out my way to abuse people on here. There are posts on here by much the same people every week who just wind me up. I`ve seen your posts on here and Pie and Bovril. You are a very opinionated guy so it shouldn`t come as a surprise that folk disagree with you. Peace and love 👍

Not a problem with people disagreeing with me matey, I`ve been wrong a million times about football and I`ll be wrong a million times more.

I don`t see Yogi going two up top, I don`t think he trusts the midfield combinations available to be sound enough defensively, and I agree with that in fairness, I`m not even particularly concerned about the 1 up top formation because it absolutely can be an attacking formation, Man City and Liverpool don`t play a 442 do they? It`s all about how the players do there job, and at the moment I just don`t think we have enough players getting into the box, none of our centre mids strike me as a Nicky Phinn, Steven Bell or Hardie, a midfielder who could make a late brake into the box for the crosses we`re getting in. Whether that`s by instruction by Yogi or whatever, one of them (and it should be Polworth) should be getting in that box when we have the ball wide.

It`s all about balance, we go two up top, lose the midfield have no possession and in turn the two become isolated, or we have what we have no where we have the possession, the buildup, but simply not enough players commiting forward. Yogi needs to find the balance, and fast.

I don`t think the comparisons of the last ten minutes are valid for a 90 minute comparison, we had a grip of the game, knew Morton had no interest in attacking and the pace was frantic by us, we wouldn`t be able to sustain that for 90 minutes, and Partick wouldn`t be nearly as happy to let us have it for 90 minutes.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 20 Mar 19:03

Agree pretty much with what Grant said there

Even our strikers don’t spend enough time in the box.
Oh, for a fat poacher like Joe Harper

Ron Atkinson - 1983

Post Edited (Sun 20 Mar 19:04)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Rusty Shackleford  
Date:   Sun 20 Mar 19:34

Completely agree with grant there. Perhaps Polwarth is the (intended) player. I thought he was pretty quiet on Friday. Could be that if he clicks we`re a different side.

As I say time and time and time again, the margins between a good and poor side stuck in a rut can be wafer thin. I don`t think we`re too far away but clearly the clock is ticking furiously.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: summeragent  
Date:   Sun 20 Mar 19:50

Quote:

Parfect69, Sat 19 Mar 10:57

I stand by my posts re McCann, he scored a very good goal last night and thank god for that. Even I was shouting for him to come on. However he needs to play with someone else he is not a lone striker. I also thought he came across very well in his interview. Well done Lewis.

McCann was excellent when he came on. I definitely think he should be played every match as we don’t have a better option. DT played well and think his link up with Lewis could get us goals. We need to start winning now though.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 20 Mar 21:08

Polworth’s record is less than 1 goal every 12 games - hardly a midfield goal scoring machine - if we insist on 1 up front then at least get the subs on earlier if it’s not working as we need to find a way to start winning.

Andy J
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: dafc123  
Date:   Tue 22 Mar 12:25

Play Mcann and Todorov with the same tactics as Friday and we will romp past Partick....too many times on Friday we were crossing the ball in with nobody there.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 22 Mar 13:35

Quote:

dafc123, Tue 22 Mar 12:25

Play Mcann and Todorov with the same tactics as Friday and we will romp past Partick....too many times on Friday we were crossing the ball in with nobody there.

If only it was that simple..... Yogi might have stumbled on the idea himself. 🙂

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: USMac  
Date:   Tue 22 Mar 13:43

Agree with the experienced posters on here that two up front is not a panacea and not necessary in this instance. As Lawless points out in his interview, Partick play very differently from Morton and will come to EEP looking to be on the front foot, whereas Morton was very happy to sit back and look for the odd chance. COYP.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: USMac  
Date:   Tue 22 Mar 19:42

Not playing 2 up top tonight and the FBs have each scored a goal. If we played 2 up top, as GJS points out, the FBs could not get forward like they must be doing.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: dd23  
Date:   Tue 22 Mar 20:13

Quote:

USMac, Tue 22 Mar 19:42

Not playing 2 up top tonight and the FBs have each scored a goal. If we played 2 up top, as GJS points out, the FBs could not get forward like they must be doing.

Absolutely nailed it with this statement.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 22 Mar 21:06

Hopefully, tonight puts to bed the idea that one up front is a negative formation?
Todd, Edwards, Lawless and Thomas all supported O’Hara on numerous occasions

Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Parsfangaz  
Date:   Tue 22 Mar 23:31

Quote:

Raymie the Legend, Tue 22 Mar 21:06

Hopefully, tonight puts to bed the idea that one up front is a negative formation?
Todd, Edwards, Lawless and Thomas all supported O’Hara on numerous occasions

LOL
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 22 Mar 23:34

I don`t know if many said it was a negative formation - just that it wasn`t working. Tonight we looked excellent though and fingers crossed it can get the ball rolling. I`m not going to get ahead of myself just yet. Saturday will be another tough game.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: QPR_Par  
Date:   Wed 23 Mar 00:44

Quote:

Raymie the Legend, Sun 20 Mar 06:50

I’m with Rigger.

Raymie, I enjoy your posts, you always talk sense… but you’ve let yourself down badly including Fat Frank in that company. 😂🤣
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Wed 23 Mar 07:51

Always easy to look at games in hindsight. A defensive team lose and we say we should have attacked. An attacking team lose and we say we should have defended. Always a degree of luck.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Paralex  
Date:   Wed 23 Mar 15:17

"The funny jovial joker" as Desperado describes him, might actually be piecing together a team which can move forward and begin to achieve things together. JH may seem to come across as wearing his heart on his sleeve but maybe that`s not a bad thing. His obvious enthusiasm and expression of it is surely a virtue. He commands respect from the players and they certainly looked last night that they were beginning to relish the immediate challenge of staying in this league. I for one wish him the very best and live in hope of a very bright future for him and the team.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: TAFKA_Super_Petrie  
Date:   Wed 23 Mar 21:16

O`Hara general link up play and close control was miles better than normal last night.

Was frustrating in Morton game as he was coming out wide and dropping off so regularly that there was often no focal point to go for resulting in overplaying it so much in the final third with no decisive end product or final ball.

Work rate and pressing last night both individually and as a team was fantastic. Must have covered some distance between them.

---------------------------------------------------------------

"People always talk about Ronaldinho and magic, but I didn't see him today. I saw Henrik Larsson; that's where the magic was."
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: bannerpar  
Date:   Thu 24 Mar 11:34

Yes, the work rate was good but some of the midfield guys were showing it after the hour mark. Thistle brought on 5 subs and Yogi lived a bit dangerously until we scored the fourth and it was game over. Just as well they didn`t have much up front. Even bringing Ryan Dow on earlier could have given fresh legs. The likes of Polworth hasn`t had many games in recent months.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DA-go Par Adonis  
Date:   Thu 24 Mar 12:28

I figured that he didn`t want to bring on subs as the shape of the team looked good and Thistle were creating absolutely nothing of note. The only way they were going to score was if someone blasted one in from 30 yards out.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I love it when we go sell Kevin Nisbet,
He's gonna pay for everyone this season.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 24 Mar 14:25

We were managing the game pretty well, I thought. No real threats from Partick. I thought they looked the more tired as the game went on, hence all the subs they made

Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net