DAFC.net
Home 08 December 2022 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 The goalie
Topic Originator: PARadise  
Date:   Sat 19 Mar 07:15

Other than the goal thought he was shaky to say the least last night and it’s a myth he’s good with his feet. New goalie for league one imo
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: The goalie
Topic Originator: PARrot  
Date:   Sat 19 Mar 08:30

I didn`t realise he slipped in the mud patch until I saw the replays on TV.
He has made some errors but I think some of us are being a bit harsh on him.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: yorkiepar  
Date:   Sat 19 Mar 08:35

I think back to the two incredible saves he made against, I think, Inverness, when he cleanly plucked two net bound shots out of the air. Since then I agree, he seems to have got the jitters. Wouldn’t write him off yet though. If I had Ambrose playing in front of me I think I’d have the jitters.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Rusty Shackleford  
Date:   Sat 19 Mar 09:16

It`s fair to say I probably wouldn`t write off a young player in the Leicester set up and polish under 21`s.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: PARadise  
Date:   Sat 19 Mar 10:03

Quote:

Rusty Shackleford, Sat 19 Mar 09:16

It`s fair to say I probably wouldn`t write off a young player in the Leicester set up and polish under 21`s.

Not writing him off as a goalie, I’d just prefer a more experienced goalie for a promotion push next season
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parsfan97  
Date:   Sat 19 Mar 10:03

Not any better than OFW.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 19 Mar 10:14

Quote:

parsfan97, Sat 19 Mar 10:03

Not any better than OFW.

But OFW was as good as he is ever going to be. The lad is good and he is learning from his mistakes.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: nazpar  
Date:   Sat 19 Mar 10:16

Well he won`t be in goal for the next 2 games .as he is on international duty.so we will have Deniz Mehmet in goal against Partick and Inverness

nazpar
[IP address logged]
-
Date:   Sat 19 Mar 10:52

Hardly the time to be taking an inexperienced goalie when we are in a relegation dogfight. Not just last night, overall he hasn’t looked that impressive in my opinion. Positioning always seems to be poor and can’t catch a cross ball

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 19 Mar 11:02

It has been a while since we had a keeper who wasnt slaughtered on dotnet.
OFW was no different until he was replaced.
I think we need to remember what the new owners hope to do with DAFC.
They want to develop young players and sell them. They have a longer term strategy than most fans have the patience to endure.

This keeper is as good as anything we have had for a while, and he is an exceptionally good prospect for development and possibly a wee windfall in a few years time. He isnt going to make the first team in the EPL. Maybe he will sign a contract for a team where he will get first team football, develop and put himself in the shop window.

Seems like this is the plan going forward with all the other youngsters signing longish contracts.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wulliepar57  
Date:   Sat 19 Mar 11:05

when we are in a dogfight we should have kept OFW we needed an experienced goalkeeper for these games ( they say he left for family reasons ) but who knows why he left ?
I thought when JH was talking about Jakub coming in that he was brilliant and we are lucky to get him , I know he is young and learning from his mistakes but at present we didn`t need a raw keeper , Up till now for me he hasn`t set the heather alight , for a big lad he doesn`t command his box virtually always on his line , last night he came off his line and a ball he could have caught he punched is this what goalkeepers get taught these days ? and to be fair to our back 4 our goalkeeper hasn`t had much to do of late as other teams haven`t had may attempts on goal
Bigger worry though is its Deniz Mehmet for the next 2 games !!
Hope he proves me wrong

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Perkins  
Date:   Sat 19 Mar 11:09

"This keeper is as good as anything we have had for a while, and he is an exceptionally good prospect for development and possibly a wee windfall in a few years time. He isnt going to make the first team in the EPL. Maybe he will sign a contract for a team where he will get first team football, develop and put himself in the shop window."

This is an absurd defence of what looks to be a poor bit of transfer business

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Paralex  
Date:   Sat 19 Mar 11:16

At least Stolarczyk has a physical presence whereas Fon Williams seemed a bit wee for a goalie. There are obvious areas requiring improvement but I don`t see him as being worse than FW. I would probably blame the defence more for the Morton goal last night but Stolarczyk was caught cold and was quite slow in his reaction.Hopefully if Mehmet gets the nod for the next game he proves us all wrong and plays a blinder. However the games in this league are so tight that goalmouth action is quite limited.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 19 Mar 11:21

Quote:

Perkins, Sat 19 Mar 11:09

"This keeper is as good as anything we have had for a while, and he is an exceptionally good prospect for development and possibly a wee windfall in a few years time. He isnt going to make the first team in the EPL. Maybe he will sign a contract for a team where he will get first team football, develop and put himself in the shop window."

This is an absurd defence of what looks to be a poor bit of transfer business

It isn`t a defence. I see no need for one.
Simply a comment inviting further discussion.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 19 Mar 11:25

So if he keeps giving away goals then we have just to accept that this is the board’s philosophy about young players? 😂

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Bucuresti Par  
Date:   Sat 19 Mar 11:30

I think his performances reflect the performances of the squad. There is talent there but at the moment confidence is low and he`s been unfortunate like the whole team, the goal against Hamilton which would have been disallowed 99 times out of 100, slipping last night, even the goal against Arbroath was almost a great save.

That`s not to say he can`t and doesn`t need to improve certain aspects of his game. He needs to attack crosses a bit more and there are a few times he is punching balls that he should easily be catching, there was one especially poor one last night. I think it would help his kicking as well if he had McCann in an central area to aim for from goal kicks, open play etc then he has a much higher margin for error than trying to hit to Dow or Edwards or someone on the touchline.

Maybe his international call up comes at a good time for everyone, a little break for him (I am assuming its his first experience in first team football) and hopefully (I know lots of people will pile in here!) Mehmet will step up and put in a couple of performances that gives Yogi a positive selection problem.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: da_no_1  
Date:   Sat 19 Mar 12:24

Quote:

parsfan97, Sat 19 Mar 11:25

So if he keeps giving away goals then we have just to accept that this is the board’s philosophy about young players? 😂

How many goals has he gave away?

There`s a difference between him "giving a goal away" and conceding a goal.

"Some days will stay a 1000 years, some pass like the flash of a spark"
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: BA  
Date:   Sat 19 Mar 12:41

Last night was my first time seeing him in the flesh and he didn’t really have much to do.

I was surprised their goal went in but I’d need to see a replay to pass more comment on it. In terms of having the ball at his feet and distribution by throwing he’s absolutely a cut above OFW without a shadow of doubt!

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: bannerpar  
Date:   Sat 19 Mar 13:42

Paralex, you think that OFW was a wee bit wee at 6ft 4in. How big do you like your goalies to be?

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Paralex  
Date:   Sat 19 Mar 14:13

Six feet four bannerpar? Either your specs or mine need serious adjustment. To me he didn`t look any more than five ten and never seemed to impose himself in cross ball situations.

Was that Mehmet warming up in the goal at the Norrie end last night? If it was, he doesn`t look that big either.

Post Edited (Sat 19 Mar 14:16)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Sat 19 Mar 14:24

`Should have gone to Specsavers`.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wulliepar57  
Date:   Sat 19 Mar 15:00

Paralex Mehmet is also 6`4``
I couldn`t care less what height he is as long as he keeps a clean sheet on Tuesday and then against Inverness and we score of course , he really should be trying to impress after warming the bench up most of the season

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: bannerpar  
Date:   Sat 19 Mar 15:26

I`m never comfortable with goalies who don`t come off their line either but more and more of them seem to like playing that way now. Anyway if things weren`t nervous enough, we could have a goalie in the next two games just coming back from a hand injury backed on the bench with a 44 year old, who was a top class goalie in his day, but has been retired for 4 years. Never mind, we have two experienced defenders in front of them. Donaldson and Ambrose. Oh, wait a minute...

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: JTH123  
Date:   Sat 19 Mar 15:55

I agree with you to a point. Sounds like you are being critical of Donaldson. Based on his recent performances that`s frankly ridiculous as the lad`s done well. Least said about his central defensive partner the better.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Raymie the Legend  
Date:   Sat 19 Mar 17:09

A mistake by the goalie. Clearly he’s murder. Let’s send him back to EPL club,Leicester before his feet touch the ground. I’ll drive him there.

It's bloody tough being a legend
Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 19 Mar 18:47

Yes. But he doesn`t and he didn`t and hopefully he wont.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DrumRoad  
Date:   Sat 19 Mar 22:00

Topic Originator: nazpar
Date: Sat 19 Mar 10:16

“Well he won`t be in goal for the next 2 games .as he is on international duty.so we will have Deniz Mehmet in goal against Partick and Inverness”

NOoooo, “Nail, Coffin etc…….

2015/16 League one Winners
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Sun 20 Mar 07:52

Quote:

DrumRoad, Sat 19 Mar 22:00

Topic Originator: nazpar
Date: Sat 19 Mar 10:16

“Well he won`t be in goal for the next 2 games .as he is on international duty.so we will have Deniz Mehmet in goal against Partick and Inverness”

NOoooo, “Nail, Coffin etc…….

Oh come on, DR. Let`s give him a chance. Yes, he chucked a few in at the beginning of the season, but he finally has a chance to make amends with a couple of clean sheets.

Plenty of time to give him pelters if your fears come to pass, not before he puts the gloves on.

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Berkey  
Date:   Sun 20 Mar 09:08

Yeah it’s great in our relegation dog fight the lad is learning and getting all his mistakes out.

Is that 3 goals now where he could have done better or been stronger? Aye away, hamilton away and Friday.

Starting to mount up, great decision by yogi to go for untested though…

Things will be looking up……..now yogi is gone!

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Indiapar  
Date:   Sun 20 Mar 09:13

I think we are lucky that he came up to play for us. Not easy for a keeper to come to a team fighting relegation. One mistake and he could be blamed for us being relegated. Probably a new experience for him and alot of pressure

Post Edited (Sun 20 Mar 09:47)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Sun 20 Mar 09:17

He was brought in because OFW clearly had to go quickly. How many decent keepers are just sat about waiting for a relegation bound team to come looking?!

I`m sure Mehmet will be fine provided his injury is cleared up.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 20 Mar 09:22

You may know more than was made public, jake, but wasn`t OFW`s departure announced a few weeks after Jakob signed?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 20 Mar 09:25

I`ve no inside knowledge but I`m assuming the events were more like:

OFW advises he needs to go
New keeper brought in
OFW departure made official

I`ve no idea why he left but I wouldn`t expect it was as sudden as it appeared.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 20 Mar 09:27

Then why the delay in bringing in Neil Alexander?

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Parsweep  
Date:   Sun 20 Mar 09:34

Come on . Cut the guy some slack.
On Friday night the guy`s foot slipped in the mud when he tried to move to the right .
I`ve seen enough to think he`ll do a decent job for us n the run in .

Bobvo
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 20 Mar 11:16

Quote:

wee eck, Sun 20 Mar 09:27

Then why the delay in bringing in Neil Alexander?

No idea. I`m just working on assumptions. OFW was a player AND coach so I assume it took longer to find a coach for whatever reason. You`d need to ask Yogi!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: neils  
Date:   Sun 20 Mar 11:37

So who do we play on Tuesday seeing as the goalie is on international duty?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 20 Mar 11:40

Mehmet/Alexander/loanee.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: nazpar  
Date:   Sun 20 Mar 14:17

Quote:

neils, Sun 20 Mar 11:37

So who do we play on Tuesday seeing as the goalie is on international duty?

Well Mehmet must be fit as he was the sub keeper on Friday so I`m guessing he will be in goal on Tuesday

nazpar
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 20 Mar 15:46

Aye it’ll be mehmet in goal Tuesday night and Saturday away to inverness too. Hoping he can prove us wrong from earlier on this season but not too optimistic

[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net