DAFC.net
Home 28 November 2022 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Demise of the Azzurri
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Fri 25 Mar 11:50

I thought our Italian football correspondent might have have had something to say about the elimination of the national team from the WC qualifiers. I must say I didn`t see that one coming.

Post Edited (Fri 25 Mar 12:18)
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Demise of the Azzurri
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Fri 25 Mar 13:51

Quote:

wee eck, Fri 25 Mar 11:50

I thought our Italian football correspondent might have have had something to say about the elimination of the national team from the WC qualifiers. I must say I didn`t see that one coming.

I was keeping ma heid doon, Sig. Alessandro. ☹

It wasn`t overly surprising when you consider Italy drew half of their qualifying games against less fashionable opponents. Factor in Jorginho`s penalty misses in both games v Switzerland, either of which would have seen Italy qualify as group winners and you`ll catch my drift.

N. Macedonia put in a performance of which Mourinho would have been proud and found a way to win against technically superior opponents, so good luck to them. I`d be very surprised if they can repeat the trick v Portugal who, unlike Italy, possess a magnificent goal scorer.

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parsfan  
Date:   Fri 25 Mar 13:59

Quote:

GG Riva, Fri 25 Mar 13:51

It wasn`t overly surprising when you consider Italy drew half of their qualifying games against less fashionable opponents. Factor in Jorginho`s penalty misses in both games v Switzerland, either of which would have seen Italy qualify as group winners and you`ll catch my drift.

Were they both the last kick of the game? If not, I`m sure someone will be along shortly to say that you can`t change that one thing and expect the rest of the game to pan out the same way it did.

Can`t think who though.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The universe is ruled by chance and indifference

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Fri 25 Mar 14:22

Regardless of what happened in the Group stage I thought Italy would have had enough to take care of N Macedonia at home. Why wasn`t Chiesa in the squad? Is he injured - or out of favour?

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Gaz3822  
Date:   Fri 25 Mar 14:29

I`m sure he done his ACL

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DA-go Par Adonis  
Date:   Fri 25 Mar 14:49

"Were they both the last kick of the game?"

One of them was at the very end.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I love it when we go sell Kevin Nisbet,
He's gonna pay for everyone this season.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Fri 25 Mar 16:14

Quote:

Gaz3822, Fri 25 Mar 14:29

I`m sure he done his ACL

He has. 🙁 Immobile can`t buy a goal for Italy. In their 4 drawn games, Italy dominated possession but couldn`t turn it into goals. I watched last night`s game and the Macedonians defended magnificently. Their goalkeeper didn`t have much to do.

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Paralex  
Date:   Fri 25 Mar 18:51

The real GG Riva will be greetin` in his beer.

[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks  
Date:   Fri 25 Mar 20:21

As much as neutrals like to see the underdog prevail it is disappointing that Italy won`t be at the World Cup. They are one the games great nations and after they denied England the victory at Wembley last July they will always have place in my heart now. Of course either them or Portugal were going to miss out because of their previous lapses but I hope Portugal now take their second chance.

And although my eyes were open
They just might as well be closed
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Sat 26 Mar 09:03

The players will be keeping a low profile.

I mind reading about the scenes at the airport when the 1966 squad returned from the humiliation against North Korea.

The flight was diverted from Rome - but word got out that it was headed to a regional airport (Pisa ?) and a “welcoming” crowd was waiting.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Paralex  
Date:   Sat 26 Mar 11:23

I remember sitting sur l`arbres dans une parc en Amiens a regarde le coup de monde finale sur le grand television:- la France v l`Italia.
ZInedane Zidane, ils receivez la carte rouge apres le gros Italiano centre back insulted la mere de Zidane et ils stuck le heid on l`Italiano. Les Italianos triumphed et accepte la trophe et le Frances tres disconsole trudged off home avec grand doloure. Les Italianos normally know how to win. How the mighty are fallen.

Post Edited (Sat 26 Mar 11:29)
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net