DAFC.net
Home 26 November 2022 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Neil Alexander
Topic Originator: parsfan97  
Date:   Sat 26 Mar 17:16

Seems our goalie coach would rather be at a charity match at ibrox today than be at our game. Disgraceful

[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Neil Alexander
Topic Originator: NiallDAFC  
Date:   Sat 26 Mar 17:30

I would think that this has been arranged before he agreed to join as coach and would’ve made the club aware. In the case DM came off today, is playing a 44 year old keeper who hasn’t played since 2018 any worse than a 16/17 yo with a full career ahead of him?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: da_no_1  
Date:   Sat 26 Mar 17:35

Quote:

NiallDAFC, Sat 26 Mar 17:30

I would think that this has been arranged before he agreed to join as coach and would’ve made the club aware. In the case DM came off today, is playing a 44 year old keeper who hasn’t played since 2018 any worse than a 16/17 yo with a full career ahead of him?

Too much sense min

"Some days will stay a 1000 years, some pass like the flash of a spark"
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parsfan97  
Date:   Sat 26 Mar 17:39

Also left with no goalie coach too. Doubt chucking a 16 year old on in a relegation battle would’ve been a good idea but each to their own. Just looks unprofessional imo

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: par58  
Date:   Sat 26 Mar 18:05

Quote:

NiallDAFC, Sat 26 Mar 17:30

Yes far worse, playing the 16/17 yo could ruin his career, if he had a bad time, before it gets started Alexander would not matter if he had a disaster. Alexander should be let go now and Hughes shown to have failed badly in his managerial responsibilities.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: 1970par  
Date:   Sat 26 Mar 20:42

Does seem a strange turn of events, we sign a keeper coach to cover when the Polish lad is on international duty, he does not feature in the Poland team and we have our reserve keeper/coach playing for Rangers at a charity event so can’t sit on the bench today

Looks a bit shambolic but I’m sure someone will provide a rational explanation

Post Edited (Sat 26 Mar 20:43)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Rigger Al  
Date:   Sat 26 Mar 20:52

Ffs ,what is the probability he would be needed ,As someone mentioned this was planned a long time ago and for sure discussed he had a commitment for this game ,
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Sat 26 Mar 21:35

It does seem a wee bit unprofessional to favour a charity match over an important league game involving the club who employ you as a goalkeeping coach and have registered you as a player to cover emergencies but maybe there`s more to it.

[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: Rigger Al  
Date:   Sat 26 Mar 21:40

It was prob arranged and agreedmonths ago
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 26 Mar 21:45

No doubt it was but if you subsequently take up a job as a coach and register as a player surely that trumps the charity match?

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: red-star-par  
Date:   Sat 26 Mar 22:18

I was initially bealiin` about this, as thought it was just one of those rubbish friendlies where folk like Jaz Juttla get a game for the Rangers XI and the attendance is tiny, but it turned out that folk like Quaresma, Figo and Pires were playing and the crowd was about 38k.
I guess if he had signed up and committed to appearing and agreed that before he joined us, then that`s fair enough. It would have been incredible bad luck if we had to substitute our goalie. Can`t remember that happening often over the years. I`ve got to say, letting OFW leave when we were aware his replacement was untried and going to be missing on international duty was a mistake. Despite his failings, I think we would be in a better position now if we had kept OFW between the sticks
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Par  
Date:   Sat 26 Mar 22:27

Pity so many of them were not so keen to save their club and were willing to let it die!

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: AlterPar  
Date:   Sun 27 Mar 10:11

This thread is so,so embarrassing.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 27 Mar 10:25

A cryptic comment, AlterPar. Who should be embarrassed?

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Parsfangaz  
Date:   Sun 27 Mar 11:29

[Post Deleted] - Deliberately provoking fellow DAFC.net poster(s)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: dafc  
Date:   Sun 27 Mar 13:20

The commitment by Alexander to play on the
Charity match obviously would have been discussed before he agreed the short term deal. If pars were unhappy with this they could have looked elsewhere, so it’s clear it was signed off by everyone at the club.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Sun 27 Mar 20:18

I`m absolutely raging. Incredible it was allowed. Unbelievable. Astonishing even. I can`t believe it! 😂
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: AdamAntsParsStripe  
Date:   Sun 27 Mar 21:19

Some incredibly stupid comments on here.
This game was planned months ago and, as explained would have been included in contract negotiations.

Zwei Pints Bier und ein Päckchen Chips bitte
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: bannerpar  
Date:   Sun 27 Mar 22:56

So you`re saying that at the beginning of the month, the Club, knowing that we`re in the relegation mire and with a goalie with a hand injury at the time, were aware of and thought it was ok to use a 16 year old academy boy who`d never been near the first team on the bench for the Inverness game. That worries me a wee bit.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Parsfangaz  
Date:   Sun 27 Mar 23:25

Quote:

AdamAntsParsStripe, Sun 27 Mar 21:19

Some incredibly stupid comments on here.
This game was planned months ago and, as explained would have been included in contract negotiations.

It’s only a wee bit as you say so calm down, it’s absolute nonsense that your even posting about this crap.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: PARrot  
Date:   Mon 28 Mar 09:26

I think I can count on one hand how often I have seen a keeper substituted.
Gross over-reaction

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 28 Mar 09:43

Isn`t it a wee bit unprofessional to take that risk though? Mehmet could have taken ill on the journey north or got injured in the warm-up. No doubt the young lad`s got talent but he looked like a boy among men when he was practising with the other players.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: JnrB  
Date:   Mon 28 Mar 11:10

Or maybe the young lad was excited and proud to be part of the first team squad. I don’t get the huge overreaction on here. Imagine moving jobs yourself and already having something pre booked and planned, you would discuss this with your new employer and come to an agreement. The same would have happened here and I don’t see any problem with it
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 28 Mar 11:55

I wonder what the reaction would have been if the young lad had to play.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 28 Mar 12:10

Young lad who probably plays every week in the reserves and would be eager to do well Vs the goal keeping coach who hasn`t seen first team action in ages.

I realise the game Alexander was at wasn`t exactly important, but it was pre-agreed.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 28 Mar 12:25

...`plays every week in the reserves`...? There is no reserve team is there?

Match day is the most important day of the week for any professional footballer or coach and prior commitments, even of a charitable nature, shouldn`t take priority over that. I wonder if a serious attempt was made to find a replacement for Alexander in the charity match?

Post Edited (Mon 28 Mar 12:43)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: JnrB  
Date:   Mon 28 Mar 12:50

Why should they need to look for a replacement and why should Alexander miss out on playing with the likes of Figo, Kaka, Pires etc when he had already signed up for it.

It made no difference to what we were doing in inverness.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 28 Mar 12:55

We`ll have to agree to differ about priorities but it could have made a big difference to our game at Inverness.

What was this charity match all about anyway? I `ve seen no publicity for it either before or after the event.

Post Edited (Mon 28 Mar 12:56)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: red-star-par  
Date:   Mon 28 Mar 20:44

Quote:

wee eck, Mon 28 Mar 12:55

We`ll have to agree to differ about priorities but it could have made a big difference to our game at Inverness.

What was this charity match all about anyway? I `ve seen no publicity for it either before or after the event.

I believe it was a game to celebrate the tenth anniversary of the formation of The Rangers
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 28 Mar 21:32

Is that the club that`s won 55 League titles in 10 years?
Somebody has miscalculated surely?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 28 Mar 21:34

Quote:

wee eck, Mon 28 Mar 12:55

I`m sure I overheard it was a fundraiser for some charity run by Figo as well as being their "150th` Anniversary.....

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wetherby  
Date:   Mon 28 Mar 23:34

" 150th Anniversary" ah , measured in months !

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 29 Mar 00:39

It seems Alexander only played the second half of the game.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 29 Mar 07:47

Are people angry he wasn`t available due to a prior arrangement, or is it that the prior arrangement involved Rangers?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: RhinoPars  
Date:   Tue 29 Mar 12:29

As others have said I’m sure this was agreed when he signed. I have no issue with it as it was probably one of his last chances to play in front of a big crowd and see some old mates and meet and play with some world class players. As others have said the chances of his being needed up in Inverness were tiny and perhaps they have good reason to trust the youngster. Great for his morale to be on the bench.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: back oh the net  
Date:   Tue 29 Mar 12:45

Quote:

jake89, Tue 29 Mar 07:47

Are people angry he wasn`t available due to a prior arrangement, or is it that the prior arrangement involved Rangers?

Probably because that prior arrangement involved rangers

Come on ye pars ⚽️
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: par58  
Date:   Wed 30 Mar 12:25

You can argue the rights and wrongs all day long but in reality you’ve got to call into question the professionalism, or lack of it, of the whole debacle. Also, no matter how small the risk, there was the real potential of damage to a young boy both physical and mental. In summary it smacks of an amateur approach to a vital match and rank bad management.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: AdamAntsParsStripe  
Date:   Wed 30 Mar 13:21

Quote:

par58, Wed 30 Mar 12:25

You can argue the rights and wrongs all day long but in reality you’ve got to call into question the professionalism, or lack of it, of the whole debacle. Also, no matter how small the risk, there was the real potential of damage to a young boy both physical and mental. In summary it smacks of an amateur approach to a vital match and rank bad management.

If you start a new job, don`t you tell new employer about a pre planned holiday?
Why is this any different.
Secondly, why wouldn`t a young goalkeeper be raring to go if needed?
He`d absolutely relish the challenge.

Zwei Pints Bier und ein Päckchen Chips bitte
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: PARrot  
Date:   Wed 30 Mar 13:51

Quote:

par58, Wed 30 Mar 12:25

Sorry but this is just an over reaction. I don`t agree on any of it.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: RhinoPars  
Date:   Thu 31 Mar 02:40

Quite right AdamAnts - If I was the young keeper I too would relish the challenge and I would be so proud to have made the matchday squad. This would have told me people have trust in me and think I could do the job. There is also a tiny chance I would have to play and then it wouldn`t even be for a whole game and what is the chance the young lad would give away a goal during the minutes he was on?. I would evaluate this as some function of benefits to being selected * probability of being called upon to play * reduced time to have to play * risk of making a mistake and costing us a goal * increased chance of making a key save that requires very fast reactions. You also need to consider the alternative in terms of the message that having Alexander on the bench would have given to the young lad (i.e. we don`t trust you and don`t think you are good enough to handle this yet, despite all the training you have been doing - very demotivating). You also would need to consider the risks of playing someone (that despite being an experienced and successful keeper during his career) hasn`t played professionally for a few years, and who made the decision to retire from playing a few years ago (presumably due to his age and declining reactions). Also how much is having a goal-keeping coach at the game really going to do to the result? I get there is a tiny chance of the youngster being called into action and making a costly mistake, but even if this scenario was to transpire most people would be more forgiving towards the youngster given his age, and it would be a useful learning experience and character building opportunity for him too.

As a positive person I despair at the negativity of some Pars fans who seem happiest to post about something they can be very critical about.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Thu 31 Mar 06:42

^^^ Excellent post, RhinoPars.

You absolutely hit the nail on the head in your last sentence above.

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 31 Mar 06:52

I remember a young guy making his debut in goal for Hibs at EEP about 30 plus years ago and having an absolute blinder. Think his name was Chris Reid?

Like Rhino says - non-story

[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net