DAFC.net
Home 26 November 2022 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Challenge Cup Final
Topic Originator: LEGEND85  
Date:   Wed 30 Mar 13:11

Often referred to as the mickey mouse cup if we ever reached that final what kind of interest would it have.

The last time we got to the final it was not long after we reached the scottish cup final so our crowd that day was poor.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Challenge Cup Final
Topic Originator: red-star-par  
Date:   Wed 30 Mar 21:46

Yeah, I didn`t even bother to go when we got to the final. Couldn`t even tell you who we played or if we won or lost. It is, and always will be, a Mickey Mouse tournament
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: PARrot  
Date:   Fri 1 Apr 09:13

Quote:

red-star-par, Wed 30 Mar 21:46

Yeah, I didn`t even bother to go when we got to the final. Couldn`t even tell you who we played or if we won or lost. It is, and always will be, a Mickey Mouse tournament

You know perfectly well who we played and that we lost. You are overstating your point.
I think. 🙂

I dont think any of the teams or players involved think it is a Micky Mouse cup. Pretty sure they would all like to win the only cup 99.9% of them will ever win.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: hudza  
Date:   Fri 1 Apr 14:54

Tournament should be scrapped, an absolute waste of time

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: da_no_1  
Date:   Fri 1 Apr 16:28

Quote:

hudza, Fri 1 Apr 14:54

This. Total hindrance every season

"Some days will stay a 1000 years, some pass like the flash of a spark"
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Fri 1 Apr 16:39

Page last updated at 16:57 GMT, Sunday, 25 November 2007

Dunfermline Ath 2-3 St Johnstone

St Johnstone survived a fightback from Dunfermline Athletic to lift the Scottish Football League Challenge Cup for the first time. Paul Sheerin put the Saints ahead from the penalty spot after 13 minutes and a fine Peter MacDonald volley had them two ahead six minutes later. Kenny Deuchar turned Sol Bamba to fire Saints further ahead after 30 minutes. But Scott Wilson headed in a free-kick from Stephen Glass, who fired home from the penalty spot after the break. The Pars could not find the equaliser despite intense late pressure and it will go down as another disappointment for beleaguered manager Stephen Kenny.

Their First Division rivals had responded positively to the midweek departure of their own manager, Owen Coyle, to Burnley. And the side led by caretaker boss Sandy Stewart took the lead after Stephen Simmons was forced into a rash challenge on Steven Anderson when the Pars failed to clear a corner. Sheerin left goalkeeper Paul Gallacher no chance with a drilled low shot from the penalty spot.

Deuchar had already sent a header just wide before his flick-on set up MacDonald 14 yards out to blast in Saints` second goal. Gallacher beat away a fierce Deuchar drive to deny the rampant Saints. But the striker on loan from Gretna did make it three soon after, firing low past the helpless former Scotland goalkeeper.

Kenny had sent on Darren Young for Calum Woods and the Pars immediately pulled a goal back through Wilson. Within seconds, they were almost right back in the game as an 18-yard effort from Stevie Crawford was pushed just wide by veteran goalkeeper Alan Main. Crawford then turned neatly on the edge of the box before shooting too high and a Bobby Ryan drive was brilliantly beaten away by Main. Then, on the stroke of half-time, Young rattled the post with a shot.

Saints` Rocco Quinn also saw a shot rebound off the woodwork just after the break, but it was the Pars who dominated the second 45 minutes. And, midway through the half, it was game on when Dunfermline won a penalty for Anderson`s challenge on Jim Hamilton on the edge of the area. Glass stroked home the spot-kick and an equaliser almost arrived when Hamilton`s cross was sliced against his own bar by Goran Stanic.

As the Pars threw everything forward, Mark Burchill headed straight into Main`s arms from no more than six yards, but it was to be Saints` day at Dens Park.

Dunfermline: Gallacher, Woods (Young 34), Wilson, Bamba, Murphy, Ryan, Simmons (Harris 88), Glass, Crawford, Burchill, McGlinchey (Hamilton 64).
Subs Not Used: McBride, Murdoch.

Booked: Murphy, Glass, Wilson.

Goals: Wilson 37, Glass 70 pen.

St Johnstone: Main, Irvine, McManus, Anderson (Rutkiewicz 80), Stanic, Quinn, McInnes, MacDonald (Hardie 75), Deuchar, Jackson (Milne 80), Sheerin.
Subs Not Used: McLaren, Cuthbert.

Goals: Sheerin 13 pen, MacDonald 19, Deuchar 30.

Att: 6,446

Ref: E Smith

Post Edited (Fri 01 Apr 16:40)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: red-star-par  
Date:   Fri 1 Apr 21:09

I knew St Johnstone were involved somewhere, I thought the game was at McDairmid Park though, couldnt have told you who we played in the final. Looking at the team we had, Gallagher, Wilson, Bamba, Young, Glass, Crawford and Burchill, makes you wonder what those players were doing in the First Division, and why they weren`t better. Pars have been underachieving for around 15 years
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Fri 1 Apr 21:56

Quote:

da_no_1, Fri 01 Apr 16:28

Quote:

hudza, Fri 1 Apr 14:54

This. Total hindrance every season

Simple solution - don’t enter.

Jim McCluskey’s last game as a referee was the 1999 final - he said it was the most satisfying of his career, both teams played attacking football with few fouls and stoppages.

Post Edited (Fri 01 Apr 22:02)
[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: AJ27  
Date:   Sat 2 Apr 08:23

Apparently only 4000 tickets sold and yet you can’t turn up on the day and get in - you couldn’t make it up.

Andy J
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: onandupthepars  
Date:   Sun 3 Apr 01:36

I think the players must value it, otherwise they could easily let theirsel`s get knocked out in the first round or at any point.

I`d be pleased if the Pars were to win it, after all, it includes teams at our own level and above. QOS have made the final against the odds and deserve credit for that, just as we would, had we made it.

Post Edited (Sun 03 Apr 01:49)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Par  
Date:   Sun 3 Apr 07:57

Topic Originator: AJ27 like
Date: Sat 2 Apr 08:23

Apparently only 4000 tickets sold and yet you can’t turn up on the day and get in - you couldn’t make it up.

That would be double what you would expect at a normal league game between these two.

I hope they include the Welsh/Irish/English teams again next year as they add a bit of interest.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 3 Apr 09:50

I have never understood the diddy cup comments.

Here is an opportunity for teams outside the top 10 to win a cup. Teams and players who have next to no prospect winning any other silverware.

Many of the participating teams are capable of winning it, or progressing to a point where they can put in a good challenge.

It gives us opportunities to play teams outside our boring play each other 4 times season.

It seems selfish to me that anyone would want to deprive the players of clubs outside the top division to win a cup.
I would love to win it. So would the players.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Socks  
Date:   Sun 3 Apr 11:07

I`ve posted this before when Parrot was going on about all players being really keen to win the competition, but it`s worth repeating. From a lower league player who has played in the competition.

https://lowerleagueramblings.com/2018/06/23/jobbies-cup/

Although having the foreign sides made for something a bit different, I`d rather they don`t come back. Nothing to do with not wanting to play them, it`s simply that their inclusion means that games have to be scheduled for weekends and this has meant far more important league fixtures being shunted off to midweek to allow it. It`s OK for a final, but no other rounds should ever be given precedence over league fixtures. That just can`t happen with foreign sides in the draw, so they have to go. If the competition was scrapped, I wouldn`t be fussed at all. And from the link I`ve given, at least some of the players wouldn`t either.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parsmad68  
Date:   Sun 3 Apr 12:29

When you consider the team we had at that time and how the performances were below expectations. I always feel this was the beginning of the end of the Masterton/Yorkson tenure. The Championship win and subsequent lack of investment that season was an indicator all was not well at the club. When you consider that the only light since then was our promotion from the championship and first division, it really has been meagre pickings since then in terms of challenging for anything.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 3 Apr 12:31

I think I read that the last time you posted it Socks. Completely forgot about it.

It seems he doesn`t care for some aspects of the cup but agrees with others.
It probably needs a revamp, taking these pointers into consideration, but with the right format, it has it`s merits.

I would love to see a poll done to get an accurate understanding of the opinions of all involved rather than just one or two players.

Post Edited (Sun 03 Apr 12:32)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Rusty Shackleford  
Date:   Sun 3 Apr 12:47

Attendances are dreadful for it. That`s the best poll you`ll get.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 3 Apr 12:59

Quote:

Rusty Shackleford, Sun 3 Apr 12:47

Attendances are dreadful for it. That`s the best poll you`ll get.

Valid point but more about how fans feel rather than players. We only have X amount of cash to spend on watching football and obviously league games take priority.
I would still like to know what more players managers and clubs feel about it.

Post Edited (Sun 03 Apr 12:59)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: buffy  
Date:   Sun 3 Apr 16:11

Mon the Doonhamers!

”Buffy’s Buns are the finest in Fife”, J. Spence 2019”
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: BIG W  
Date:   Sun 3 Apr 16:19

Hopefully a blood and thunder affair with plenty of hard challenges and red cards

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: buffy  
Date:   Sun 3 Apr 16:32

Rovers 1-0 QoS

”Buffy’s Buns are the finest in Fife”, J. Spence 2019”
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: elvis_lives  
Date:   Sun 3 Apr 16:33

Brilliant goal.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Sun 3 Apr 17:11

Some finish to the first half! Rovers` defence doesn`t look too comfortable when the ball`s in the air.

[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net