DAFC.net
Home 26 November 2022 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Is the European Super League really dead?
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Thu 31 Mar 07:42

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/60929239

Reading between the lines, it look like the main reason last year's coup failed, was because the ESL proposal was a closed shop. It may well gain more traction if the 3 clubs still living in hope decide to bring it back to the table as a meritocracy. i.e. a league from which relegation and promotion to is possible for all clubs.

Not your average Sunday League player.

Post Edited (Thu 31 Mar 07:48)
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Is the European Super League really dead?
Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks  
Date:   Fri 1 Apr 08:12

I can`t see it being revived GG. It would take some sort of seismic shift for the conditions to change to allow these clubs to move forward with this superleague idea.

And although my eyes were open
They just might as well be closed
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: ghostrider  
Date:   Fri 1 Apr 08:53

Do they really need a Super League GG, the top 4 Leagues practically have this already where they get at least a guaranteed 50% holding of the Champions League Group Stage entries (plus potentially another 2 if they teams also won previous year & Europa League but failed to qualify).

in fact 80% of the places in the Group Stage are controlled by 10 Leagues, leaving on 6 places available to the other 45 leagues (and even they top 10 leagues normally dominate these 6 places as well)

I noticed no-one has a tantrum about that

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Fri 1 Apr 16:22

Quote:

ghostrider, Fri 1 Apr 08:53

Do they really need a Super League GG, the top 4 Leagues practically have this already where they get at least a guaranteed 50% holding of the Champions League Group Stage entries (plus potentially another 2 if they teams also won previous year & Europa League but failed to qualify).

in fact 80% of the places in the Group Stage are controlled by 10 Leagues, leaving on 6 places available to the other 45 leagues (and even they top 10 leagues normally dominate these 6 places as well)

I noticed no-one has a tantrum about that

I don`t think the richest clubs need a Super League, nor am I advocating one, but at least three of them still think they do and have refused to renounce the dream. There`s no doubt in my mind the 6 English clubs only did a U-turn after the full fury of the other Premier clubs became evident. Many fans of the 6 also made their displeasure known by staging protests around the stadia and on social media.

I`m convinced the big mistake of the clubs who initially proposed the ESL was that it would be a closed shop. Had they agreed to a league with promotion and relegation, they might have got their way. Big boys usually get what big boys want. Another gaffe was to pretend PSG hadn`t been invited when in fact the French giants had told the other clubs they weren`t interested.

I don`t think Real, Barca and Juve have given up hope and before long, they`ll be back with a modified proposal. If that fails, they`ll go away and put together another..... Barca have massive debts and I don`t think either Juve or Real are as financially competitive as most of the other would be Super Leaguers, so I wouldn`t rule out another attempt.

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net