DAFC.net
Home 26 November 2022 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Clubs to vote on VAR
Topic Originator: saltonsgonagetu  
Date:   Mon 4 Apr 17:17

There will be a vote on 19th April on whether to allow VAR in the Cinch Premiership.
All 42 clubs will vote at the meeting, the resolution requires 75% if Premiership clubs to vote yes,
75% of Championship clubs and 75% of combined League 1 and 2 clubs to vote in favour .
If passed the hope is to introduce it after the Qatar world cup

[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Clubs to vote on VAR
Topic Originator: Bandy  
Date:   Mon 4 Apr 17:37

Not sure how I`d vote tbh.

Definitely in theory it`s a positive change, but if it`s implemented in the way it`s been implemented in the English Premiership it`ll just cause as many problems as it solves.

I`d be very supportive if, alongside the introduction, the refs were miked up so the decision making process was public (as in Rugby, with the main ref miked up throughout). Removing the `clear and obvious` element would be helpful as well as that just creates wiggle room for poor decision making.

If think I`d vote against the English Premiership implementation, but `for` a better one with the changes outlined above.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Mon 4 Apr 18:08

This ^^^^^

We are forever shaped by the Children we once were
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Connor560  
Date:   Mon 4 Apr 18:17

It was trialled at my friends sons game at u14s on Sunday at Oriam. Full works with the screen etc

C'mon Ye Pars!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DunfyDave  
Date:   Mon 4 Apr 19:26

I`m regularly disappointed with the quality of refereeing in Scotland

I think VAR would be a welcome improvement but agree that it needs "streamlined" to adapt better to our game.

I support the notion.

DunfyDave
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Paralex  
Date:   Mon 4 Apr 19:33

It`s Mickey Mouse football without it. Dark ages stuff. When you lose a game through a penalty that never was and have a player sent off because of referee incompetence it`s time to step into the 21st century. The present system is too much open to match officials incompetence or even worse corruption. VAR is a must or our league becomes a laughing stock.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: P  
Date:   Mon 4 Apr 20:31

Be interesting to see which way Rangers and Celtic vote as for all their victimised protestations they must know that on balance they get an overwhelming majority of incorrect decisions in their favour.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: dafc  
Date:   Mon 4 Apr 20:54

It was agreed it would be costed by top league, unsure how VAR would be even possible at some grounds. Cost will be huge. No brainer for Old Firm teams.

[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Mon 4 Apr 22:06

I`d completely support it. Refereeing in Scotland is awful and I`m sure it`s biased.

I can`t remember if I read it on here or heard it on the radio but there was a comment about the Glasgow derby at the weekend along the lines of it being good that Collum held back on the cards as he`s normally much more card happy. Yes, great for that game but crap for all the other clubs who have had players carded (legitimately). There`s ridiculous inconsistency of refereeing and this would hopefully help.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: PARrot  
Date:   Mon 4 Apr 22:19

Quote:

P, Mon 4 Apr 20:31

Be interesting to see which way Rangers and Celtic vote as for all their victimised protestations they must know that on balance they get an overwhelming majority of incorrect decisions in their favour.

If Rangers say aye and Celtic say no, does that make Celtic the protestants?

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: twin par  
Date:   Mon 4 Apr 22:57

If implemented, would all Scottish leagues have it ? If not, it would seem an uneven playing field. All clubs should be treated the same.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Mon 4 Apr 23:35

It would only be introduced in the Scottish Premiership as per the opening post and that`s also what`s reported on the BBC Sport website. Only the Premiership clubs will be contributing to its cost.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Parsweep  
Date:   Tue 5 Apr 07:12

Glad it would only be for the Premiership , and wouldn`t affect us for the foreseeable.
Never liked it and still don`t .

Bobvo
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: dd23  
Date:   Tue 5 Apr 09:11

Quote:

P, Mon 04 Apr 20:31

This.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks  
Date:   Tue 5 Apr 09:15

I think Rangers will vote for it to be implemented. I`m sure they have been pushing for it previously. Celtic blocked it last time.

And although my eyes were open
They just might as well be closed
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Westies squint kicks  
Date:   Tue 5 Apr 12:42

It`s naive to think VAR can`t be biased. Seen some incredible evidence given to referee`s on the pitch side monitor that only leaves him one option, indeed seen a lot of things happen that VAR haven`t chosen to even get involved in.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: brian  
Date:   Tue 5 Apr 13:50

surely VAR is better if it gives the Ref a repeat view ?

making a decision in a split-second can`t be easy and the ref should not get castigated for it ?

I would also think that the cost of it would need to be much more reasonable, especially if it was used in lower leagues

Post Edited (Tue 05 Apr 15:38)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Paralex  
Date:   Tue 5 Apr 15:44

Of course VAR can be subject to bias but it narrows down considerably the scope for bias.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: 1970par  
Date:   Tue 5 Apr 22:42

Whatever the referral to VAR the end result will be the same “penalty to Rangers”

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parsmad68  
Date:   Wed 6 Apr 06:24

On the subject of bias, I have always thought of you play the majority of time in the other teams half and penalty box then you will be awarded more goal scoring opportunities. Has anyone ever did the numbers on VAR decisions for the “big” teams versus the “wee” teams in England to verify the number of decisions for / against. I would be very interested if the percentage figures tie up across leagues of the supposed big v wee team mentality. There will be actual numbers rather than supporters perception.
Just a thought.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: P  
Date:   Wed 6 Apr 06:59

I’ve always been of similar thinking too about if you spend more time on the attack you get more fouls.

However what I meant for Old Firm getting more incorrect decisions relates to the roar of a large crowd and a very short moment in time to make a decision and the influence that has on a single human recipient for that noise.

I don’t think a comparison down south would work as referees are not regularly bouncing from sedate 5,000 crowds to 40k and back. They are typically going from one noisy amphitheater to another so would to an extent are used to it.

I don’t hand on heart believe in real bias in modern Scottish referees other than isolated examples, I just think we have poor quality referees as you get what you pay for.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: aaaaaaaaaargh  
Date:   Wed 6 Apr 08:28

I think VAR is good, but only with time limits.
The `clear and obvious` rule is important. If it takes VAR more than a minute with slow motion replays from 4 different angles to overturn the decision then it wasn`t clear or obvious.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Wed 6 Apr 08:41

Quote:

Westies squint kicks, Tue 5 Apr 12:42

It`s naive to think VAR can`t be biased. Seen some incredible evidence given to referee`s on the pitch side monitor that only leaves him one option, indeed seen a lot of things happen that VAR haven`t chosen to even get involved in.

The video evidence can`t be biased, Westie, but the officials using it certainly can. Opinions are often influenced by bias. If you listen to the pundits on the highlights programmes, they often disagree on the same incident.

Let`s say for the sake of argument, that Rangers are awarded a penalty. The pundit with a Celtic connection says "For me, it`s not a penalty. Player X is looking for it and runs into the defender." The pundit who once played for Rangers says "There was contact, so he gave the referee a decision to make. You can see why the ref gives the penalty."

There`s little doubt both the ref and his VAR colleague can have similar thought processes. I`m not suggesting they deliberately set out to cheat, but they may not necessarily view crucial incidents objectively. Think about how many times we`ve all been convinced that the Pars were denied a "stonewall" penalty, or the many times we`ve had one awarded against us that was "never a penalty" or "extremely soft."

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parsmad68  
Date:   Wed 6 Apr 09:08

Quote:

P, Wed 6 Apr 06:59

I’ve always been of similar thinking too about if you spend more time on the attack you get more fouls.

However what I meant for Old Firm getting more incorrect decisions relates to the roar of a large crowd and a very short moment in time to make a decision and the influence that has on a single human recipient for that noise.

I don’t think a comparison down south would work as referees are not regularly bouncing from sedate 5,000 crowds to 40k and back. They are typically going from one noisy amphitheater to another so would to an extent are used to it.

I don’t hand on heart believe in real bias in modern Scottish referees other than isolated examples, I just think we have poor quality referees as you get what you pay for.

Agree with your points. I am keenly interested when introduced what the numbers will actually look like. Sorry about how I wrote it as I agree with you. The polarisation of opinion in Scotland must be one of the most intense in the world
Who’d be a referee as the scrutiny and pressure must be unbearable and even more so now with VAR.
Bring it on so we can get the numbers 😂
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net