DAFC.net
Home 29 September 2022 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Shaun Maloney sacked
Topic Originator: Raymie the Legend  
Date:   Tue 19 Apr 10:20

120 days into his job..

It was a gamble. No managerial experience at all. Probably talked a good game?

Kevin Thomson must be high on their radar now?

Post Edited (Tue 19 Apr 10:23)
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Shaun Maloney sacked
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Tue 19 Apr 10:34

Very similar scenarios at Hibs and Aberdeen; American owners seem to have even less patience than traditional football club owners.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Tue 19 Apr 12:44

Quote:

wee eck, Tue 19 Apr 10:34

Very similar scenarios at Hibs and Aberdeen; American owners seem to have even less patience than traditional football club owners.

They`d have been better sticking with Jack Ross. Hibs have gone backwards under Maloney - he`d have been better sticking with Belgium.

What will Hibs do now? Gamble again? Clubs which regularly change their managers tend to perform more poorly than those which don`t. If Hibs are still paying Ross and Potter, they could do worse than hold up their hands and ask them back. It`s quite common in Italy.

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: SeasonedPar  
Date:   Tue 19 Apr 13:33

It’s always been a poisoned chalice of a job.

When was the last time they had a successful manager? Stubbs might count, but he was always leaving the club, win or lose that Cup Final.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Socks  
Date:   Tue 19 Apr 14:08

I`ve only seen them in highlights, but it seems that much of his time at Hibs was marred by ineffective passy passy pihs pihs. Although the style might have changed a bit recently, he seemed to have used up most of his lives already, not much different to Peter Grant`s time with us.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: AJ27  
Date:   Tue 19 Apr 14:45

They can’t ask Potter back - he’s at Queen’s Park

Andy J
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: neils  
Date:   Tue 19 Apr 14:56

Hibs need to work out what they want from a manager, Jack Ross was more than good enough, you can`t appoint young coaches and then sack them as soon as they make errors.

I`m bewildered why coaches insist on this relentless passing garbage, unless you are backed to the tune of billions, or are coaching kids, it`s futile. No team has ever got out of trouble with this possession based playing.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Par  
Date:   Tue 19 Apr 15:19

Neil Warnock ?

Scotsman article

[IP address logged]
-
Date:   Tue 19 Apr 16:56

Quote:

AJ27, Tue 19 Apr 14:45

They can’t ask Potter back - he’s at Queen’s Park

He`s only at QP until the end of the season and it`s a gentleman`s agreement. The club wouldn`t stand in his way on the remote chance such an offer came his way.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: AJ27  
Date:   Tue 19 Apr 18:57

My apologies, I wasn’t aware of that

Andy J
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: dafc  
Date:   Tue 19 Apr 19:01

Odds on Jack Ross? Stranger things have happened. Thomson would be good appointment but think hibs will go for a more tried and tested this time around

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: eastendalloapar  
Date:   Tue 19 Apr 19:03

I believe Peter Grant is available.

matt forsyth
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Tue 19 Apr 20:31

Is Maloney’s short tenure a record ?

I thought Frank Sauzee’s reign would have been hard to match.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: McCaig`s Tower  
Date:   Tue 19 Apr 21:11

I’ve said it before but I always think that in his post-match interviews Shaun Maloney comes across rather like a Finance Director trying to explain away disappointing figures at the quarterly board meeting, rather than a manager of a football team which has lost again.

In some ways, his analytic approach was a refreshing change; in others he seems to be another representative of the new breed of managers. It’s as if there is a factory somewhere churning out coaches who share a similar vision of how the game should be played, with any number of Boards of Directors keen to be persuaded that “passy passy pihs pihs” (to use Socks’ memorable phrase) is the post-modern route to success.

Hibs seemed to have regressed to a new way of “Hibsing it up” with bizarre managerial decisions. Their next choice will be interesting.

By the way GG, do you have stats to back your statement about clubs regularly changing managers? It seems a little bit like a self-fulfilling prophecy – if your manager is doing well, there is no need to change them, if not then there may be. But I agree with the general thrust that you should be planning long term, and with Hibs in little danger of relegation, I’d have given Maloney more time. But what were the BoD expecting? I think there is a lot of luck in management, but if you constantly find yourself being unlucky with your appointments, maybe it’s not bad luck after all.

I think Sauzee lasted barely 2 months which is the shortest tenure (excluding caretakers)

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Tue 19 Apr 21:38

I found Sauzee’s record - 69 days.

14 league games, no wins - 1 Scottish Cup victory over Stranraer.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Johanisk  
Date:   Tue 19 Apr 23:37

Scott Brown as interim manager.

Stranger things have happened...
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 20 Apr 08:22

Quote:

McCaig`s Tower, Tue 19 Apr 21:11

By the way GG, do you have stats to back your statement about clubs regularly changing managers? It seems a little bit like a self-fulfilling prophecy – if your manager is doing well, there is no need to change them, if not then there may be. But I agree with the general thrust that you should be planning long term, and with Hibs in little danger of relegation, I’d have given Maloney more time. But what were the BoD expecting? I think there is a lot of luck in management, but if you constantly find yourself being unlucky with your appointments, maybe it’s not bad luck after all.

I think Sauzee lasted barely 2 months which is the shortest tenure (excluding caretakers)

I don`t have any stats, it`s fairly self evident I think, but I agree with you that there`s no need to change your manager if you`re doing well. With smaller clubs though, a good manager is usually lured away by a bigger club. With big clubs, you can look at the likes of Fergie and Wenger, who both spent a long time at their respective clubs. The former famously took a while to win some silverware, the latter possibly had too much clout and should perhaps quit earlier than he did. Those who succeeded him have not exactly set the heather on fire....

[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net