DAFC.net
Home 07 July 2022 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Fort William FC
Topic Originator: McCaig`s Tower  
Date:   Fri 22 Apr 21:42

I see that Fort William FC has withdrawn from the Highland League relegation play-off against Banks o’ Dee.

A war of words appears to be developing.

I haven’t followed the situation that closely but Banks o’ Dee are an ambitious Junior team from Aberdeen who seemed dead certs to get into the HFL in 2009 when they expanded their membership following the promotion of various clubs to the SPFL; however for various reasons Strathspey Thistle were elected instead (along with Formartine and Turriff). When Cove were promoted Banks o’ Dee declined the opportunity to join the HFL for some reason.

Apparently Fort William asked for dispensation to play players signed this year (who are eligible for the HFL but not the play-off), but this has been refused. The arguments seem to centre on the number of goalkeepers the Fort have registered – the HFL claimed they had 5, revised down to 4, of whom one has gone back to Poland, one was ineligible, and one Fort William seemed unaware of as he was serving with the forces. The condition of Claggan Park is another issue (Fort William have had to play all their HFL games away from home this season). Fort William FC appears to be disputing this version of events.

I’m not sure what the future holds now. They have struggled for years, and have become something of a joke team. Changes in the HFL “centre of gravity” won’t have helped. Every so often there are faint grounds for optimism as new people come in with new players – this month they were more competitive securing their first win of the season.

It’s a shame – they used to be the closest HFL club to Oban and I usually look out for their results.

[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Fort William FC
Topic Originator: adampar1  
Date:   Fri 22 Apr 21:54

Seems completely bizarre that players are eligible for the HL but not the play offs! Surely the eligibility rules should be the same for each!

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: neils  
Date:   Fri 22 Apr 22:11

To be fair, the Highland League have been jumping through hoops to keep the Fort going, including the registration of players, a last minute hiring of ringers in this case. They have 5 keepers registered!

The pitch, even for this one of game is in a state, and even the basics in running a club are not in place, there have been games where they couldn`t name any subs. Shinty is king there.

I think a real effort has been made to keep senior football going, lots of people have tried really hard, but the ground is an open field, whereas pretty much every other ground is really well kept.

I think the time is up and BOD, who refused before because they felt it was a closed shop, now feel it`s worthwhile now a pyramid is in place, they would have massacred Fort anyway.

It`s a pity as I feel the league will be more Aberdeen/Tayside, whereas I enjoy the Highland League in its own right, but the league have had enough of them.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: AJ27  
Date:   Sat 23 Apr 07:09

Aberdeen/Tayside? - without even looking at the league I give you Lossiemouth, Strathspey, Buckie, Forres, Wick Academy, Rothes, Keith, Clachnacuddin ,Nairn and Brora Rangers.

Andy J
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: bigdonnie  
Date:   Sat 23 Apr 12:49

banks of dee would have won fort william worst team in any professional league in uk

donald mcneil
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: neils  
Date:   Sat 23 Apr 17:40

Yes, but I think that`s where the league is going now there is a play off, not much in the north Caledonian league capable of going into the Highland. I fear it will be a trapdoor for any team on the east coast (Brechin, and whoever is next) and the Tayside juniors. Hope not, b cause these teams you listed above are more worthy

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: cougared  
Date:   Tue 26 Apr 00:07

Think neils is 100% spot on with his assessment.

This year it`s Fort William, Who next? Strathspey? Then Lossie? A bad season at Wick? Brora money dries up and they`ll be gone.

Some will say that this is simply allowing stronger teams to enter the league and thrive. That may well be true - but the stronger teams will be stronger because of geographical factors - centrally based, greater quality/quantity of players, lower travelling cost, bigger population for support - but possibly not coming thru in attendance figures. BoD do not have any great core support.

The Highland League will have become the same as the Champions League where only the teams that can afford to be in it will be allowed in it. Scottish football will eventually lose geograpical diversity and the pyramid will have created a rectangle.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Socks  
Date:   Tue 26 Apr 10:11

Despite the name of the league, I don`t think it`s fair to say that teams in the Highlands are more worthy than those from Angus and Aberdeenshire. The Highland League is really the Northern league now, and offers clubs from the North a route into the SPFL. I think that`s a good thing, but if you accept your place as part of a pyramid, you have to accept that clubs can go down as well as up.

The bigger problem seems to have been the lack of a suitable league for clubs at the bottom of the HFL to drop into - surely it would have been better for Fort William if they`d been part of a competitive, more local league, rather than losing almost every week. In one recent season they finished bottom with a negative points total after managing two draws all season, and conceded more than 200 goals. When a team with that record isn`t relegated, the whole league lacks credibility. Rothes and Lossiemouth might well fear that they`ll be next, but if there are teams below that level who could compete there, it`s simply not reasonable that they should be denied the chance due to an accident of history, or because one town happened to have a railway line run through it 100 years ago while the other didn`t.

I want all of these clubs to keep going, but if that happens to be at a lower level, I don`t really see it as a problem, as long as they have a route back should they be successful at that level.

[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: 1985Par  
Date:   Tue 26 Apr 14:44

Would not be in the least bit surprised if, having taken the place of the perennial strugglers, Banks o Dee compete to win the Highland league next year. The owner has a bit of cash and will have no bother attracting players away from other Highland league clubs. For those of you who like a bet, you heard it here first....

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: cougared  
Date:   Tue 26 Apr 18:37

BoD may well challenge for the HFL title - based in Aberdeen offers the ability to attract players from a much larger pool than other teams to the west and north. It`s also true that they have good backing.

Big problem? No real core support to speak of and with Cove going up and Aberdeen as near neighbours it`s unlikely that they will see any great increase. The odd bus from Buckie and the wild Wickers down for a weekend with/without their wives/girlfriends/boyfriends/non-binary partners. They`re not going to survive if the money dries up.

Friday night football might help them.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Tenruh  
Date:   Tue 26 Apr 21:55

Quote:

cougared, Tue 26 Apr 18:37

BoD may well challenge for the HFL title - based in Aberdeen offers the ability to attract players from a much larger pool than other teams to the west and north. It`s also true that they have good backing.

Big problem? No real core support to speak of and with Cove going up and Aberdeen as near neighbours it`s unlikely that they will see any great increase. The odd bus from Buckie and the wild Wickers down for a weekend with/without their wives/girlfriends/boyfriends/non-binary partners. They`re not going to survive if the money dries up.

Friday night football might help them.

Ha ha covered a few bases there....
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net