DAFC.net
Home 07 July 2022 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Prepare for the Play Offs
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Sun 24 Apr 08:12

Yesterday`s results have confirmed that we`re safe from automatic relegation, but I reckon it`s about 95% certain that Ayr will be highly motivated to beat Partick, who have all but clinched 4th, on Friday. Of course the team should still go out and ensure they take 3 pts v QOS, who should not pose the same threat as if they were not already relegated, in the hope that Thistle do us an unlikely favour, or nerves get the better of Ayr.

None of us ever want to see the Pars in League 1 again. Most of us can remember the miseŕy of the first two seasons there and the relief when we were finally promoted. I hope JH and his coaching staff have been doing due diligence on our likely opponents over the past few weeks, since it`s been pretty obvious that they were almost certainly going to be Airdrie, Montrose and Queens Park. It`s just a shame Falkirk aren`t in the mix - I would have enjoyed seeing us give them a good scudding.

If we are destined for the play offs, I hope we approach them in a positive manner. The way they are set up gives the Championship team a significant advantage with the return leg at home. We must respect our opponents but not fear them. Be hard to beat away from home and finish them off at EEP. There is a gulf between the two league`s and quite frankly, if we can`t beat two teams who haven`t been good enough to win League 1 over 2 legs, we don`t deserve to stay up.

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Prepare for the Play Offs
Topic Originator: yorkiepar  
Date:   Sun 24 Apr 09:33

Agree with all you say, GG, but having travelled up from Yorkshire for yesterday`s horror show I have no confidence that we can achieve anything over two legs against anybody. And if we do it will be a remake of The Great Escape. I fear, I fear......

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: brian  
Date:   Sun 24 Apr 09:39

good post GG,
It`s been a tough season but we all need to try and push us over the line.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Grant  
Date:   Sun 24 Apr 10:20

Quote:

brian, Sun 24 Apr 09:39

good post GG,

We don`t have any, or little effect on where we end up Brian, the support has been more vocal and supportive, particularly away than any side I`ve seen come to EEP this season, yet we`ve got the worst away record in the league.

It might help people to think they can have an effect, but it`s all on John Hughes and the players to get us over the line.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Paralex  
Date:   Sun 24 Apr 10:31

With a goal difference of 8 and 3 points between Partick Thistle and Raith Rovers, it`s virtually certain that Partick Thistle don`t need a win or a draw against Ayr. So in preparation for their playoffs Thistle field a much weakened team. But Ayr still have to beat them. The likelihood is that they will, which would make our game with Q o S irrelevant. We are now looking to Partick Thistle to do us an unlikely favour. We really had to take at least a point yesterday to keep our destiny in our own hands and even if we beat QoS, which is by no means certain, we need Thistle to take a point. In that event if we beat QoS by one goal we would be above Ayr Utd on head to head results because our goal difference would be the same.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: allparone  
Date:   Sun 24 Apr 10:40

Or, Partick play a strong team as they would rather go into the playoffs on a winning run rather than a defeat.

I’m shocked that there are so many fans that think that Ayr beating Partick is a formality. Ayr are rubbish as well remember.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 24 Apr 10:45

"We don`t have any, or little effect on where we end up Brian, the support has been more vocal and supportive, particularly away than any side I`ve seen come to EEP this season, yet we`ve got the worst away record in the league.

It might help people to think they can have an effect, but it`s all on John Hughes and the players to get us over the line."

I can`t agree with you there, Grant. Statistically, the ratio of home wins to away wins in league games across the world is 3:2 or 60%:40%. I know that there are other factors at play but one of the most significant is the vocal backing of the usually greater number of home fans - psychologists call it positive reinforcement.

Ask any footballer, whether the cheering of home fans has any effect on his team`s performance. Why do we so often see the expression "home advantage?"
One reason why Celtic and Rangers are just as successful away from home is because their support often dwarfs that of the home team, so the players feel the same as they do at home.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: dafc-chris1  
Date:   Sun 24 Apr 10:53

Partick still need to try and take something it is not impossible to overturn that GD as Raith might absolutely thrash Killie but all we can do is win and ask the question of Ayr
[IP address logged]
-
Date:   Sun 24 Apr 10:57

Grant, I can`t agree with you either

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 24 Apr 11:12

Quote:

GG Riva, Sun 24 Apr 10:45

"We don`t have any, or little effect on where we end up Brian, the support has been more vocal and supportive, particularly away than any side I`ve seen come to EEP this season, yet we`ve got the worst away record in the league.

It might help people to think they can have an effect, but it`s all on John Hughes and the players to get us over the line."

I can`t agree with you there, Grant. Statistically, the ratio of home wins to away wins in league games across the world is 3:2 or 60%:40%. I know that there are other factors at play but one of the most significant is the vocal backing of the usually greater number of home fans - psychologists call it positive reinforcement.

Ask any footballer, whether the cheering of home fans has any effect on his team`s performance. Why do we so often see the expression "home advantage?"
One reason why Celtic and Rangers are just as successful away from home is because their support often dwarfs that of the home team, so the players feel the same as they do at home.

Our support yesterday was far more vocal than the home fans, as it has been many times this season.

We`ve won away three? Times in the past two seasons. With our two away wins coming at QoTS and Inverness this year, our smallest and quietest supports.

The reason Celtic and Rangers are just as successful is because they`ve got resources that absolutely dwarf that of those in this league, not because they can hear there fans sectarian bile clearly.

Whether we end up in the playoffs, and whether we win them comes down to the players and the manager, you could have the most vocal support in the world, you could have the yellow wall, if you don`t defend set pieces, and if you create no chances like we did yesterday we`re going to lose.

What was far more important than how loud our support yesterday, was the home advantage Thistle had from playing on that pitch with some regularity, that's a far, far, far bigger advantage than our fans singing. On two teams of similar levels that can be decisive.

Now guess where we play our first game in the playoffs?

Post Edited (Sun 24 Apr 11:13)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 24 Apr 11:15

^^^^^ So you think home advantage is a figment of folk`s feeble imagination then, aye? 🤔

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: theparsman1885  
Date:   Sun 24 Apr 11:37

See Grants on for the usual pile on from folk on here for daring to have his own opinion….

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: TAFKA_Super_Petrie  
Date:   Sun 24 Apr 11:40

Airdrie are the team i worry about, scoring for fun and very handy on the plastic pitch.

Not a good mix given our away form and the fact we are so fragile after inevitably conceeding the first goal (granted they came back against Ayr).

---------------------------------------------------------------

"People always talk about Ronaldinho and magic, but I didn't see him today. I saw Henrik Larsson; that's where the magic was."
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 24 Apr 11:44

Grant`s entitled to his opinion, so are we.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: da_no_1  
Date:   Sun 24 Apr 11:52

Quote:

theparsman1885, Sun 24 Apr 11:37

See Grants on for the usual pile on from folk on here for daring to have his own opinion….

It`s not a pile on, calm down. Even if it was he doesn`t need you cuddling him. I`ve witnessed him single handedly wipe the floor with half of Pie and Bovril.

He`s got an opinion. So have you and I. We`re perfectly entitled to disagree with him.

"Some days will stay a 1000 years, some pass like the flash of a spark"
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parsfan97  
Date:   Sun 24 Apr 12:04

Best hope in the play off is to keep it tight in the away games and then hope we can carry our recent good home form into the play offs. It would also help to select our strongest possible team too as we clearly didn’t do that yesterday. Hope the club are sensible in pricing too as since we are going on about home advantage, let’s make it affordable as possible for people and pack out east end

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Sun 24 Apr 12:04

The statistics prove there must be some advantage from playing at home. I`ve always thought the familiarity of the surroundings and pitch and the matchday routine for a home game give the hosts an advantage. The crowd can have some effect but the team usually has to do something to get the fans going and that can then create some kind of momentum. If things aren`t going well of course the crowd can get restless and impatient with their team which can often act to the visitors` advantage so the crowd isn`t always a positive influence.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: kelty_par  
Date:   Sun 24 Apr 12:33

Maybe I`m missing something somewhere but where in Grant`s post does he say that home advantage counts for naught? What he has said is that the team and coaching staff win the game, not the fans. That is correct. Does supporting the team help? Sure. Does being negative mean you can`t win a game of football? No. The Kilmarnock fans on Friday were booing their way through the first 70 odd minutes. GG brought up stays about home wins v away wins v draws, but it ended up proving Grant`s point - we are well off the statistical norm for away wins, and for anyone who says "well we are rubbish this season and in 9th place", I can say two things - we weren`t last season or the season before when we hardly won any away games, and secondly we have the worst points return from away games and the lowest number of wins, even below Ayr and Queen of the South. If it was all down to big vocal away supports, we would be much higher surely?

Tl;Dr - the players and management will win, lose or draw the game on Friday, and while we can encourage them all we like (and I`m sure we will), ultimately we can`t do anything on the pitch; it`s up to the players to do the business.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 24 Apr 12:53

I was 20ft from Dan Pybus yesterday when he was subbed off. A large chunk of the crowd applauded sarcastically. I hope it was just them recognising Yogi was finally making changes. The look on Dan`s face suggested he thought it was for him. Don`t tell me booing and abusing our own players has no effect. I saw it first hand yesterday.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: RossF  
Date:   Sun 24 Apr 13:07

I wasn`t at the game but surely the sarcasm was down to Yogi making subs? Pybus is a fan favourite and most likely going to be the fans player of the year this season, whereas Yogi has been widely criticised for the timing of his subs?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 24 Apr 13:11

Quote:

RossF, Sun 24 Apr 13:07

I wasn`t at the game but surely the sarcasm was down to Yogi making subs? Pybus is a fan favourite and most likely going to be the fans player of the year this season, whereas Yogi has been widely criticised for the timing of his subs?

You weren`t at the game. I was and I witnessed folk hurling abuse at him then cheering as he was subbed. Like I said I cant say for definite what each and every fan meant but I saw the look on the boys face. He was gutted

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 24 Apr 13:12

The sarcasm was clearly directed at the manager, as fans were signing yogi make a sub and signing for Dom Thomas throughout the 2nd half. Players putting in performances like that yesterday isn’t exactly going to get the fans right behind them is it, and I thought the fans were excellent yesterday considering how dire the football was

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 24 Apr 13:17

You never said that in your previous post. You said you hoped it was just Yogi making changes hence why I hoped that was the case too. If it was at Pybus, then it`s a shame for him as no one can ever fault his effort.

Post Edited (Sun 24 Apr 13:19)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 24 Apr 13:20

To bring a little light hearted relief to the thread, GG`s title "Prepare for the Play Offs", brought to mind that highly comical battle cry of David Steel to the Liberal Party faithful, many years ago. "Go home and prepare for Government". I do hope there is more chance for us surviving this perilous situation than David Steel`s Liberals had of storming No.10.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Socks  
Date:   Sun 24 Apr 13:38

What, prepare for the play-offs and just accept we`re not going to catch a team who are a single point ahead of us going into the last game? Well bollocks to that, say I. Ayr have picked up a few points recently, but they`ve had a lot of draws and haven`t won any of their last 7 games. If anyone genuinely thinks the probability of an Ayr win is 95%, you should probably bet on that outcome as the odds will surely be nowhere near 1/20.

Of course the manager will be thinking about Queen`s Park in the background, but Ayr will be doing the same thing. The focus this week should and will be on preparing to play Queen of the South and if we win that one then there`s a reasonable chance of finishing 8th and staying up. I`d put it as closer to 50% than 5%.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Sun 24 Apr 13:48

The play offs, should we end up there, will be cup ties, very different from regular league fixtures.

The opposition will be buoyed up for the challenge - let`s hope we manage 8th place from favourable results on Friday,

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 24 Apr 14:01

"What, prepare for the play-offs and just accept we`re not going to catch a team who are a single point ahead of us going into the last game? Well bollocks to that, say I. Ayr have picked up a few points recently, but they`ve had a lot of draws and haven`t won any of their last 7 games. If anyone genuinely thinks the probability of an Ayr win is 95%, you should probably bet on that outcome as the odds will surely be nowhere near 1/20."

😃😃😃 Maybe I shouldn`t have put a figure on it, but a team playing for survival - at home - against a team who have already achieved their objective, is going to be highly motivated and is far more likely to win. There`s also every chance Partick will rest some key players, making an Ayr win even more likely. I like to be upbeat and positive, but I don`t expect Thistle to do us any favours by busting their guts and risking injury in what is a relatively meaningless match for them. How different it would have been had we managed even a draw yesterday. 😟

We must of course prepare for QOS on Friday and collect 3 pts, as I said in the OP, but it will be a major shock if we somehow finish above Ayr. If I was Yogi, I`d be spending my evenings watching clips of games involving Airdrie & Co for the coming days and figuring out the selection and tactics needed to beat them.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 24 Apr 14:14

"The statistics prove there must be some advantage from playing at home. I`ve always thought the familiarity of the surroundings and pitch and the matchday routine for a home game give the hosts an advantage. The crowd can have some effect but the team usually has to do something to get the fans going and that can then create some kind of momentum. If things aren`t going well of course the crowd can get restless and impatient with their team which can often act to the visitors` advantage so the crowd isn`t always a positive influence."

Agreed, wee eck, that`s why I said there are other factors at play, but there`s no doubt fans can and do influence their team`s performances. How often has a vocal support producing a great atmosphere been described as a team`s "12th man"? Another big factor is that most teams set up more positively at home as their fans expect them to go for the 3 pts, whereas a draw is seen as a decent away result by most clubs.

Of course, as Grant says, this is only significant when there isn`t a huge gulf in class between the team`s involved, but the Championship is quite a tight league with not a lot between the teams from top to bottom.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 24 Apr 14:15

I would hope we have stuff available on the potential play-off opponents but I wouldn`t expect our manager to be viewing it this week. Surely his sole target is to beat QOS? There`s a full programme of League 1 fixtures next Saturday so, if necessary, he can watch our prospective opponents then.

On the matter of PT resting a few players next week, what about their replacements? Won`t they be trying to impress Ian McCall? Players who are normally first-choice might be tempted to take things easy and avoid risky challenges for fear of injury and missing the play-offs so their exclusion might actually make PT more competitive.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Bannockburn Par  
Date:   Sun 24 Apr 14:26

So Partick field a weakened side and risk getting a pumping off a fired up Ayr?? Dangerous approach imo.
I suspect Partick will come out and look to take at least a point and ensure they enter the playoffs in form. McCall of course may decide to do his old team a favour.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Westies squint kicks  
Date:   Sun 24 Apr 14:37

“We now go to Ayr next week with a bit of pressure off and we might rest a player or two but we still want to go and win that game. It would be ideal if we can go into the play-offs on a positive note so that’s the aim next week.”- Ian McCall

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: evo!  
Date:   Sun 24 Apr 14:53

I suspect PTFC will rest the older players, and anyone recently back from injury wont be risked, barring maybe as a sub. Still cant really complaint about it, just hope the team whatever it is go for it and beat Ayr. We dug our own hole here.

Just checked back to the last league game before we were in play offs last year, when we played Alloa, we played Mcinroy, Allan, McCann and Gill from the start, and Macdonald ahead of Comrie at right back. So not really gonna moan much about it.

BEAST!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 24 Apr 15:21

McCall says they will make changes, the players that come will be hungry enough but I suspect Ayr will face an easier task than we did yesterday

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 24 Apr 15:40

Quote:

Westies squint kicks, Sun 24 Apr 15:21

McCall says they will make changes, the players that come will be hungry enough but I suspect Ayr will face an easier task than we did yesterday

Agree with that, Westie. If the players coming in are not as good as those being rested, trying hard won`t be enough. There`s probably more chance of Ayr being affected by nerves, especially if we score early on and they don`t. That would inevitably filter through to the players on the pitch.

I don`t believe in footballing miracles, but occasionally they do happen. Remember Sunderland some seasons ago? They went to Stamford Bridge and slapped Chelsea 3-0. I think that was the start of a crazy few games which saw them escape what had seemed like certain relegation.

Da. No. 1 can fill in the details

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DA-go Par Adonis  
Date:   Sun 24 Apr 15:50

Any side only one point better off than us, is horrific enough to potentially drop points against Thistle.

The problem is that Thistle are awful also. It might even be better that they bring in 2 or 3 hungrier fringe players with a point to prove. It would be a risk playing the reserves though - last thing they need is to go a couple of goals down early, whilst finding out from Starks that Killie have been enjoying a week long title winning party.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I love it when we go sell Kevin Nisbet,
He's gonna pay for everyone this season.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Sun 24 Apr 15:52

Good Post G.G. Now get in that dressing room before kick off and read that out to them :-)

We are forever shaped by the Children we once were
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DJAS  
Date:   Sun 24 Apr 15:53

Whoever Partick bring in will be boys wanting to be part of play off games or potentially playing for a contract there or somewhere else for the next season. Might be slightly easier on paper for Ayr but not a gimme by any stretch.

End of the day we only have ourselves to blame for the position we are in. Yesterday was a good opportunity to keep it in our own hands for Friday and we never showed up. We deserve to be where we are this season.

Form guide doesn't suggest Ayr are nailed on.

SPFL Championship
Form Guide
Points Last Six

Inverness CT 13
Kilmarnock 13
Arbroath 11
Hamilton 11
Dunfermline 9
Raith Rovers 7
Partick Thistle 7
Morton 6
Ayr Utd 4
QoS 4

Predictor league winner 2012/2013

Post Edited (Sun 24 Apr 15:56)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Row_ZZ  
Date:   Sun 24 Apr 16:26

The situation certainly favours Ayr, but they are also quite rubbish. They’ve lost all their matches to Partick this season, scoring 0 in response to Partick’s 9 goals over the 3. I doubt McCall will field a completely rotated squad as well. He’ll want a bit of momentum going in to the play-offs. Raith can still technically catch them. What if he plays young boys and fringe players, they get beat 3-0, for example, and Raith win 6-0? I know it’s really unlikely, but remember back in 2014 Hamilton Accies thumped Morton 10-2 as they had a massive goal difference to turn around. I know that is a bit different, but these things can happen in football. I don’t think he’ll take any chances whatsoever.

The onus is all on Ayr, and Partick have shown, even when the play poorly, they can snatch wins when teams are all out to get a victory.

We can only do our job: come out early doors against Queens, hammer them from the get-go, try and score early and win comfortably. The rest is out of our hands now, and if it is to be the play-offs, then I can’t say we haven’t deserved it. We have been very, very poor all season.

I Know There's Gonna Be (Good Times)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Sun 24 Apr 16:56

Forgetting that Ayr are crap.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 24 Apr 18:39

Quote:

GG Riva, Sun 24 Apr 11:15

^^^^^ So you think home advantage is a figment of folk`s feeble imagination then, aye? 🤔

Not at all GG, home advantage is absolutely a thing and there`s lots that go into it, I just think that as fans we tend to overplay the effect we have. I think our away support is amongst the best in the league, despite that we have one of the worst records, how do those things align?

Fwiw I don`t think there`s a pile on, everyone`s giving there points in a fair discussion IMO.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: USMac  
Date:   Sun 24 Apr 18:39

Ayr was behind at Palmerston and got out of jail with an 87th min own goal.

Chances are less than 50/50 for sure given that Ayr has one-point advantage and Partick will rest players, but Pars are not out of the race for 8th. Ayr`s recent form has not been good.

In two tense encounters next Saturday, it may well come down to the team that handles the pressure better. The two sets of home fans may very well play a very important part in that.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 24 Apr 19:10

Quote:

Grant, Sun 24 Apr 18:39

Quote:

GG Riva, Sun 24 Apr 11:15

Not at all GG, home advantage is absolutely a thing and there`s lots that go into it, I just think that as fans we tend to overplay the effect we have. I think our away support is amongst the best in the league, despite that we have one of the worst records, how do those things align?

Fwiw I don`t think there`s a pile on, everyone`s giving there points in a fair discussion IMO.

Thanks for clarifying, Grant and it`s good that you don`t think everybody is lining up to have a pop at you - not that I thought you would. I don`t know you but you don`t strike me as being a delicate flower. 🙂 It`s good to have differing opinions and be able to back them up without resulting to childish insults and name calling.

Having a good away support isn`t necessarily going to swing matches in our favour when We`re low in confidence and performing poorly. There`s another fact to consider when a team makes such a poor start to the season as we did. Opposing teams go out thinking "we can beat this lot" while our players are thinking "we`ll probably get beat - this team`s been playing really well."

As I`ve often said on here, "If you think you can win, you might. If you think you`ll get beat, you will."

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Raymie the Legend  
Date:   Sun 24 Apr 19:18

I’ve never understood the general attitude that you should be more cautious away from home ?
Why not play the same way? Ok, so the surroundings are not quite as familiar and most of the crowd are cheering on the opposition, but that can be overcome with a positive mental attitude

It's bloody tough being a legend
Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 24 Apr 19:25

`In two tense encounters next Saturday, it may well come down to the team that handles the pressure better. The two sets of home fans may very well play a very important part in that.`

The matches are on Friday evening with a 7.45 pm kick-off, US Mac. Does that suit you?

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: twin par  
Date:   Sun 24 Apr 20:04

Honestly, we must be one of the most frustrating teams to support. We are so bloody inconsistent!😡
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Parsweep  
Date:   Sun 24 Apr 20:24

Quote:

twin par, Sun 24 Apr 20:04

Honestly, we must be one of the most frustrating teams to support. We are so bloody inconsistent!😡

To be fair , we`re only inconsistent at home 😉

Bobvo
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Levrad  
Date:   Mon 25 Apr 00:01

Maybe Ian McColl will have some time to think things over this week. We put 4 past PT at home. Ayr, according to most of the posts on here were better than us last week. So they beat PT 5-0. Raith, needing goals, play a Kilmarnock team with a massive champagne hangover and beat them 5-0. Who is going to feel rather silly?
We need to win on Friday which may or may not be so easy but the result at Somerset Park is not a foregone conclusion by any means.

Post Edited (Mon 25 Apr 00:18)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: plainview  
Date:   Mon 25 Apr 00:36

Our managers of the past few seasons have showcased their abilities recently:
- AJ = sacked and effectively relegated QotS (16.7% win rate)
- SC = relegated with East Fife (10% win rate)
- PG = relegated with Alloa then achieved a 0% league win rate with us
- JH = likely guiding us into the relegation playoffs (28.6% win rate)

This highlights how shocking our recruitment has been. It`s no wonder we`re staring the relegation playoffs in the face.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 25 Apr 07:53

Pretty sure AJ`s record at QoS in his previous time there was slightly better than 16.7%. What he`s done this season doesn`t really make much odds with regards to our decision to appoint him 7 years ago.

The rest of the post is equally ridiculous.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 25 Apr 08:50

Quote:

Levrad, Mon 25 Apr 00:01

Maybe Ian McColl will have some time to think things over this week. We put 4 past PT at home. Ayr, according to most of the posts on here were better than us last week. So they beat PT 5-0. Raith, needing goals, play a Kilmarnock team with a massive champagne hangover and beat them 5-0. Who is going to feel rather silly?
We need to win on Friday which may or may not be so easy but the result at Somerset Park is not a foregone conclusion by any means.

Ian McCall`s job is to ensure Partick have every chance of promotion through the play offs. That means keeping his best players fit for the games v ICT, so he`s perfectly entitled to rest them on Friday. Ayr are not going to win 5-0 or anything like it. They don`t need to so if they are fortunate enough to go a couple of goals up, they`ll be more than happy to see the game out, rather than risk conceding a goal and letting Thistle back into it. I can`t see the Rovers scoring 5 goals against Killie, even if their opponents don`t play their best XI. Professional footballers hate getting beat, never mind getting hammered. I`ll be surprised if Rovers even manage a narrow win.

Having said all that, I agree the Pars must go out and beat QOS. If Ayr were to lose or draw and we failed to capitalise, our fans would find it very hard to forgive the players and manager.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 25 Apr 10:24

Trying to plan ahead work wise, the 1st leg play off dates are Tuesday and Wednesday of next week, is there anything to indicate what day the 9th in the championship will play should it be us ?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 25 Apr 10:30

We will be playing the Wednesday night, as partick v inverness will be at firhill
On the Tuesday

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 25 Apr 11:00

Quote:

Westies squint kicks, Mon 25 Apr 10:24

Trying to plan ahead work wise, the 1st leg play off dates are Tuesday and Wednesday of next week, is there anything to indicate what day the 9th in the championship will play should it be us ?

Arrange to be off on Wed, Westie. As 97 says above, Partick will be playing on Tuesday. An extra day`s rest for the Pars after Friday.

Fingers crossed you can have the night off in the hope that the Pars pull off a Houdini-esque escape. 🙂

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Indiapar  
Date:   Mon 25 Apr 11:24

All we can do is go out and try and win against QoS. We are where we are and its never good to rely on other teams. You forge your own destiny. My gut feeling is playoffs and we will stay up.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 25 Apr 12:29

I think we will avoid the playoffs as i think we will win and Ayr will drop points but if we did end up in playoffs i do think we will stay up
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 25 Apr 12:43

Quote:

parsfan97, Mon 25 Apr 10:30

We will be playing the Wednesday night, as partick v inverness will be at firhill
On the Tuesday

Utterly stunned that you`ve completely given up I must admit

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 25 Apr 12:51

da_no_1 wrote:

>
Quote:

parsfan97, Mon 25 Apr 10:30
>
> We will be playing the Wednesday night, as partick v inverness
> will be at firhill
> On the Tuesday

>
> Utterly stunned that you`ve completely given up I must admit
>
>

He was replying to my question.

appreciate the replies folks.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 25 Apr 13:39

I’m utterly stunned you can’t also read the thread when I was clearly replying to a question

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: back oh the net  
Date:   Mon 25 Apr 15:29

Quote:

DA-go Par Adonis, Sun 24 Apr 15:50

Any side only one point better off than us, is horrific enough to potentially drop points against Thistle.

The problem is that Thistle are awful also. It might even be better that they bring in 2 or 3 hungrier fringe players with a point to prove. It would be a risk playing the reserves though - last thing they need is to go a couple of goals down early, whilst finding out from Starks that Killie have been enjoying a week long title winning party.

That’s the way I look at it as well and let’s be honest McCall has been around long enough to know that anything is possible in the championship so I think he will go with nearly all of his preferred starting 11 but best to totally forget what is happening down in Ayr on Friday night and concentrate on what’s in front of us

Come on ye pars ⚽️
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 25 Apr 15:48

Quote:

back oh the net, Mon 25 Apr 15:29

That’s the way I look at it as well and let’s be honest McCall has been around long enough to know that anything is possible in the championship so I think he will go with nearly all of his preferred starting 11 but best to totally forget what is happening down in Ayr on Friday night and concentrate on what’s in front of us

Do you honestly think McCall will be frightened to rest some of his key players in case there is a 10 GOAL SWING in the two games involving Partick and Raith? Really? There would have to be a stewards inquiry, min!

Ayr will be over the moon with even a narrow win. If they go 2-0 they`ll start time wasting, as they did for most of the 2nd half at EEP. That would leave Rovers to score 8 (EIGHT) against the title winners..... We`re in the realms of fantasy now.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: dpard  
Date:   Mon 25 Apr 16:00

Quote:

GG Riva, Mon 25 Apr 15:48

Quote:

Do you honestly think McCall will be frightened to rest some of his key players in case there is a 10 GOAL SWING in the two games involving Partick and Raith? Really? There would have to be a stewards inquiry, min!

Ayr will be over the moon with even a narrow win. If they go 2-0 they`ll start time wasting, as they did for most of the 2nd half at EEP. That would leave Rovers to score 8 (EIGHT) against the title winners..... We`re in the realms of fantasy now.

It`s an 8 goal difference GG. 👍
Best case scenario for us would be for Raith to be 3 up after 20 mins. That would set pulses racing in the Partick ranks. Bear in mind Killie have been on a bender since Friday night. They were back in the pub for a Sunday session yesterday. Wouldn`t surprise to see them struggle on Fri.

The flame still burns
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Rusty Shackleford  
Date:   Mon 25 Apr 16:06

I just think at this level it`s too hard to say.

Teams can play better with pressure off. Teams can play better when there`s more at stake. Some Thistle players will see it as a means to stake their case for the play offs. Some might have mentally checked out. Queens might perform well against us with the pressure off. We might stink the place up with too much at stake.

Far too many variables. Would I rather be in Ayr`s position? Yes, but only marginally. I place it around 40/60% in Ayr`s favour.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 25 Apr 16:26

Quote:

dpard, Mon 25 Apr 16:00

Quote:

Quote:

Best case scenario for us would be for Raith to be 3 up after 20 mins. That would set pulses racing in the Partick ranks. Bear in mind Killie have been on a bender since Friday night. They were back in the pub for a Sunday session yesterday. Wouldn`t surprise to see them struggle on Fri.

Only 8 goals, dpard? Apologies for that. I didn`t check it - thought I read on here it was 10. Definitely doable then? I`ll still be wanting a stewards inquiry if Rovers finish above Partick. ☺

I`m taking your assertion that Killie have been on the pith since Friday night with 16 tonnes of sodium chloride. 😉 Professional footballers hate getting beat never mind rogered by 5 or 6. I`m more hopeful that the team McCall puts out will somehow score first, Ayr players will become one big bag of nerves and their fans will start to get on their backs. It`s a long shot though..... ☹

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: par-91  
Date:   Mon 25 Apr 16:42

Queens Park squad isn’t anywhere near as bad as many seem to assume.

Would imagine Peter Grant might be out to prove a point against his dad’s old team… also got Stuart Morrison and Louis Longridge, formerly with us. Tommy Robson, Lee Kilday, Bob McHugh, Jai Quitongo, Grant Gillespie, Simon Murray and Michael Doyle have also all done well at championship level (and above) before as well.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 25 Apr 16:50

I don`t think anyone is certain that we`d beat Queens Park over 2 legs - just even less certain that we`d repeat the task against Airdrie if we got that far.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: dpard  
Date:   Mon 25 Apr 17:10

Quote:

GG Riva, Mon 25 Apr 16:26

Quote:

dpard, Mon 25 Apr 16:00

Quote:

Quote:

Only 8 goals, dpard? Apologies for that. I didn`t check it - thought I read on here it was 10. Definitely doable then? I`ll still be wanting a stewards inquiry if Rovers finish above Partick. ☺

I`m taking your assertion that Killie have been on the pith since Friday night with 16 tonnes of sodium chloride. 😉 Professional footballers hate getting beat never mind rogered by 5 or 6. I`m more hopeful that the team McCall puts out will somehow score first, Ayr players will become one big bag of nerves and their fans will start to get on their backs. It`s a long shot though..... ☹

I take your point regards players hating getting beat, but I genuinely don`t think Killie players or fans give a flying monkeys bottom about Friday or indeed Fridays result. It wouldn`t surprise me to see Raith win 4/5 nil, but at the same time it wouldn`t surprise me if Killie go out, put on a show and win.
We can only control what we do and a win is all we can do. Everything else is in the lap of the gods

The flame still burns
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 25 Apr 17:56

Ayr are in a better position than us. Thats a fact. They need only to match our result and they`re safe. They`re also playing a team who`ve pretty much guaranteed 4th place. Sounds like a done deal?

If the roles were reversed and we were in 8th and all we had to do was beat Partick knowing that Ayr were playing an already relegated Queens waiting on us slipping up and we hadn`t won in nearly 2 months, do you think we`d be 100% confident of doing what`s needed??

I think Ayr might just slip up. Can we take advantage? Who knows. Ideally we want to score a couple of goals early to put the fear into them

Post Edited (Mon 25 Apr 23:58)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 25 Apr 18:59

Lee Bullen`s got a difficult decision to make. Does he go all-out for a win from the start with the increased risk of losing a goal or does he play it more cagily knowing a draw might do? In our case we pretty much have to go for the win from the start.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: USMac  
Date:   Mon 25 Apr 19:28

Eck, I wish I could be there.

Early goals v QOS would calm the nerves, but might spark Ayr into action. I`d rather see both games scoreless at HT and then have the Pars score in the first 10 mins of the 2nd half, requiring Ayr to match the result, and hopefully opening themselves up to a counter.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: John-Boy  
Date:   Mon 25 Apr 20:02

Quote:

USMac, Mon 25 Apr 19:28

Eck, I wish I could be there.

Early goals v QOS would calm the nerves, but might spark Ayr into action. I`d rather see both games scoreless at HT and then have the Pars score in the first 10 mins of the 2nd half, requiring Ayr to match the result, and hopefully opening themselves up to a counter.

Sorry but we are witnessing one of the worst Pars sides of the last 25 years. We can`t be arrogant to the extent that we can worry about what our result does to Ayr.

We go out and win, by any means necessary.

Do you think I'm the man?

A) Yes, B) A or C) B
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: SeasonedPar  
Date:   Mon 25 Apr 23:54

So many amateur psychologists on here!

The simple fact is we haven’t been good enough all season to sustain above 8th for any length of time. We all hope to win on Friday but the play offs are out of our hands as we need Ayr to drop points.

Just read that sentence back to yourself again - our odds aren’t great. But I’ll be there on Friday looking for an early goal and a big win
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Toumba Libre  
Date:   Tue 26 Apr 00:24

**deleted- wrong thread

Post Edited (Tue 26 Apr 08:56)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Tue 26 Apr 07:24

All we need to do is win.

QOTS may be deflated at already being relegated, or they may be up for a fight. If they`re the latter then maybe they end up leaving themselves open at the back?

All we can do is try and win and hope Ayr lose their game, which I believe they will.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DBP  
Date:   Tue 26 Apr 11:01

are they doing this group play off approach at the other end of the table. are the prem team having to go into semi-finals as well?

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: saltonsgonagetu  
Date:   Tue 26 Apr 11:35

Wednesday 4th May away playoff game ,2nd leg Saturday 7th May
Thursday May 12th first leg of championship final
2nd leg championship final
Sunday may 15th

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 26 Apr 17:35

Please correct me if I`m wrong but Wee Eck suggests further up the thread that a draw against Partick is all that Ayr need. But if we beat QoS and Ayr draw we will be on the same points and goal difference, unless we win by more than one goal. In the event that we only win by one goal and Ayr draw, we will be above Ayr on head to head results.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 26 Apr 17:46

If ayr draw and we win then we’ll go a point above them

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: allparone  
Date:   Tue 26 Apr 17:47

Quote:

Paralex, Tue 26 Apr 17:35

Please correct me if I`m wrong but Wee Eck suggests further up the thread that a draw against Partick is all that Ayr need. But if we beat QoS and Ayr draw we will be on the same points and goal difference, unless we win by more than one goal. In the event that we only win by one goal and Ayr draw, we will be above Ayr on head to head results.

If Ayr draw and we win we will be a point in front of them. It’s only if they lose and we draw will goal difference come in to it.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 26 Apr 17:57

I said a draw MIGHT do for Ayr, i.e. if we lost or drew.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 26 Apr 21:09

That would be a major risk for Ayr to play for a draw. Both Ayr and ourselves need to go for the win. It`s also true that if they lose and we draw we will be above them (same goal difference but better results against Ayr this season).

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 26 Apr 21:22

I think that only comes into play if goal difference and goals scored are the same.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 26 Apr 22:16

Which it would be if they lose 0-1 and we draw 1-1, I think!!!

Post Edited (Tue 26 Apr 22:26)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 26 Apr 22:24

Quote:

wee eck, Tue 26 Apr 17:57

I said a draw MIGHT do for Ayr, i.e. if we lost or drew.

A draw will suffice for Ayr if we can’t
win - on points.

If we draw and they lose it’s the relative goals position that decides.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GJS93  
Date:   Tue 26 Apr 22:26

Ayr win = cant be caught
Ayr draw = any win is good enough
Ayr lose by 1 goal = a draw is good enough IF we score 1 more goal than they do ie 0-1 = 1-1, 1-2 = 2-2, 2-3 = 3-3
Ayr lose by 2 goals = any draw is good enough

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 26 Apr 22:30

So it would be very dodgy for Ayr to play for a draw. They have to go for it just as much as we do.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 26 Apr 23:08

Quote:

Paralex, Tue 26 Apr 22:30

So it would be very dodgy for Ayr to play for a draw. They have to go for it just as much as we do.

Correct.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Par  
Date:   Wed 27 Apr 01:52

CINCH CHAMPIONSHIP PLAY-OFFS

Tuesday May 3 or Wednesday May 4
cinch Championship play-off semi-finals, 1st leg
4th in League 1 v 9th in Championship
3rd in League 1 v 2nd in League 1

Saturday May 7
cinch Championship play-off semi-finals, 2nd leg
9th in Championship v 4th in League 1
2nd in League 1 v 3rd in League 1

Thursday May 12
cinch Championship play-off final, 1st leg
Lowest-ranked team at home in 1st leg
Live on BBC ALBA, kick-off 7.30pm

Sunday May 15
cinch Championship play-off final, 2nd leg
Highest-ranked team at home in 2nd leg
Live on BBC ALBA, kick-off 1.10pm

[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 27 Apr 12:45

Quote:

Paralex, Tue 26 Apr 22:30

Why on earth would Ayr play for a draw, knowing a win will see them safe, Paralex? It won`t come into their thinking at all, but that doesn`t mean it couldn`t end up that way. 🙂 If they do drop 2 pts, we`d better take advantage of it, or there`s going to be a lot of scunnered Pars fans at full time.

Scunnered and unforgiving.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 29 Apr 20:35

It wasn`t me who was suggesting that Ayr would play for a draw, I was just reacting to someone else further up the thread suggesting they might do so. But immaterial now as Partick seem to have conceded the game already.

Sounds like "go home and prepare for the playoffs" is a fair statement of affairs at the half time stage.

And going by our failure to take gilt edged chances it`s not certain we`ll hold out for a win here. I wish I could get the boots on again, I`m absolutely sure I would have slotted that sitter home.

Post Edited (Fri 29 Apr 20:38)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: k76  
Date:   Fri 29 Apr 21:03

Our destiny is the play offs.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 29 Apr 21:09

Time to save some for Wednesday

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: desparado  
Date:   Fri 29 Apr 21:09

This is pitiful to watch. Heads are down. Does note bode well. No leaders on the park. Very worrying.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 29 Apr 21:11

We deserve, and are lucky to be in the play offs.The season has been an absolute disaster. Having said that,attendance figures have been fabulous, in my opinion, considering our situation.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Rusty Shackleford  
Date:   Fri 29 Apr 21:13

Heads are down because of the Ayr score and the wind going out of everyone. Need to lift ourselves sharpish and move on.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: YankeeDollar  
Date:   Fri 29 Apr 21:17

Dreadful 2nd half

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 29 Apr 21:20

Game over😂😂😂

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: kelty_par  

To think there were people out there who thought that a) we would just turn over Queens and b) that Ayr wouldn`t win.

We are in real trouble now. I was fairly confident of beating Queens Park but felt Airdrie would potentially be a step too far. Bow I`m not sure we`ll make it to the Final. We can`t beat the first man from a corner - Queens do it and score. Hughes refuses to make changes when we need things freshened up. And our squad is full of pea-hearted charlatans who are an embarrassment to the profession.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DBA  

Yogi doing the Fife double. Awful.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 29 Apr 21:21

A bunch of gutless, leaderless cowards, from the top to the bottom. The performances against Ayr, Thistle and here were a disgrace, I have absolutely no hope that this useless lot get through the playoffs.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: aaaaaaaaaargh  
Date:   Fri 29 Apr 21:21

I thought we started really well, but we could only maintain that for about 20 minutes. That doesn`t really bode well for the next two weeks when you consider we are up against the worst team in the league. I hope they are saving energy now and that is their excuse.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 29 Apr 21:23

Quote:

Grant, Sun 24 Apr 10:20

Quote:

brian, Sun 24 Apr 09:39

good post GG,

We don`t have any, or little effect on where we end up Brian, the support has been more vocal and supportive, particularly away than any side I`ve seen come to EEP this season, yet we`ve got the worst away record in the league.

It might help people to think they can have an effect, but it`s all on John Hughes and the players to get us over the line.

Nearly 5500 there tonight.

I`ll double down and treble down on this, it`s all on John Hughes and the players to keep us up, and frankly they`ve been a disgrace.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Pars Athletic  
Date:   Fri 29 Apr 21:23

No backbone in this team, when the chips are down the heads go down. I`m struggling to see how we stay up
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: The moose  
Date:   Fri 29 Apr 21:32

Quote:

Pars Athletic, Fri 29 Apr 21:23

No backbone in this team, when the chips are down the heads go down. I`m struggling to see how we stay up

Get rid of Hughes and co. Wot a disgrace.

BCM
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: elvis_lives  
Date:   Fri 29 Apr 21:37

Quote:

Pars Athletic, Fri 29 Apr 21:23

Too many loan players is never a good idea. They really don`t give a toss.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 29 Apr 21:37

Full time 2-1.

Maybe we just didn`t have enough fans there who shouted loud enough?!?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DAFC23  
Date:   Fri 29 Apr 21:38

Absolute disgrace , Hughes and pretty much the entire team can Foxtrot Oscar regardless of the play off result , spineless , toothless , mediocre . Worst Pars team I can remember in living memory , really can’t see us winning any play off if we put in a performance like that , time for a total rebuild starting next season
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 29 Apr 21:39

Disgrace….. sums our season up.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Parallel Lines  
Date:   Fri 29 Apr 21:39

After the playoffs get Yogi back to Jurassic Park and he can take most of that squad with him. Utter dross all season.

I looked for my pet in all the books on animals and birds and then I found it in the Book of Revelations.Marty Feldman
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: par-ticular  
Date:   Fri 29 Apr 21:43

Big crowd, big game, cometh the hour and nae bottle, more big games coming up not confidence this mob have the temperament to survive. So disappointed.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Bucuresti Par  
Date:   Fri 29 Apr 21:48

Poor stuff indeed. Playing well, should have been a couple up, some miss by O`Hara and then that `performance` second half.

Edwards, Todd and Pybus were good, but the rest...

Our set pieces are hilariously bad, defending and attacking. Comical own goal from Chalmers and hopeless marking from Ambrose. All our deliveries were crap as well and we had a number of free kicks within shooting distance that were pathetic as well (hello again Chalmers), Thomas crossing one (admittedly well) from a central position about 25 yards from goal (and Ambrose managing to stand offside!).

Weird subs as well from Hughes, took off are most effective (and only mobile) central midfield player for Dorrans who barely touched the ball. Polworth moved backwards having been quite effective playing as a 10. Not sure what Ryan Dow has done to upset him either, given that in his only recent sub appearance at Inverness he was briefly sparked us into life for 15 minutes and hasn`t been seen since. Dom was woeful again tonight. At least Lawless was sharper.

Very little to be positive about, that was a hopeless QOS team with no confidence and nothing to play for and even with them consistently gifting the ball to us in dangerous areas we managed to get beat.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: elvis_lives  
Date:   Fri 29 Apr 21:49

Quote:

par-ticular, Fri 29 Apr 21:43

Big crowd, big game, cometh the hour and nae bottle, more big games coming up not confidence this mob have the temperament to survive. So disappointed.

Was that last Saturday or today?

I was pretty sure we would get to the play off final. Not now.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Berkey  
Date:   Fri 29 Apr 21:53

Based on that performance the night at least it’s only 2 more games til the end of the season.

That was murder, if we go down yogi needs to go, that team was abject apart from the 1st 10 minutes.

Things will be looking up……..now yogi is gone!

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Kessel  
Date:   Fri 29 Apr 21:55

Absolutely dreadful tonight.

Play-off final? I don`t have confidence of that shower of mugs beating any team in the play-offs. A complete set of bottle merchants.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: king lad  
Date:   Fri 29 Apr 21:57

Have to agree really, if we somehow fluke the playoffs and survive Hughes has to go in any case. Bizarre tactical decisions and substitutions which have gotten worse as the season has dragged on. Reece Cole came on and changed the game v Ayr in midfield, he hasn`t played a single minute since then. Chalmers starting week after week despite being absolutely woeful.

The football operations side of the club has been a joke for years now, some of the recruitment especially in midfield has been diabolical. You`ve just got to hope they somehow string some sort of level of performances/results together now, just apathy with the team.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: buffy  
Date:   Fri 29 Apr 21:57

We’ll never get through the play offs
Not a f chance.

That was embarrassing

buffysbuns.wordpress.com
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Ianoappar  
Date:   Fri 29 Apr 21:58

Relegate us now absolute dug sh### Edwards mom Pybus and Todd worth a mention.
For the rest of the wage thieves get them tae **** and take Yogi with you.
Inept clueless gutless slow in thought and movement serving up displays like this all season,
Did we expect anything but the performance we witnessed tonight.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: par-ticular  
Date:   Fri 29 Apr 21:59

Surely a lot of these players must be starting to look at being moved on whatever league we end up in as they quite simply are not good enough for the championship.
[IP address logged]
 Re: Prepare for the Play Offse
Date:   Fri 29 Apr 22:02

Post Edited (Fri 29 Apr 22:02)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DBA  
Date:   Fri 29 Apr 22:04

I know not to take posts seriously when they claim Polworth was effective.

What does Yogi see in Lawless that he doesn`t see in Thomas? Woeful.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 29 Apr 22:05

Terrible performance again. Lawless should have been taken off along with Polworth at half time. Can’t take any positives into the playoffs
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: The moose  
Date:   Fri 29 Apr 22:07

Quote:

buffy, Fri 29 Apr 21:57

Not a f chance.

That was embarrassing

I totally agree with you buffy. Should be ashamed to wear the shirt..

BCM
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parzdaft  
Date:   Fri 29 Apr 22:10

The stink was there in August and has lasted all season. Absolutely disgraceful. The club has lost its football culture big time.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Par  
Date:   Fri 29 Apr 22:10

The manaager and most of the team need punted, they are not fit to wear the shirts and play for a team like Dunfermline!

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 29 Apr 22:11

Quote:

parzdaft, Fri 29 Apr 22:10

The stink was there in August and has lasted all season. Absolutely disgraceful. The club has lost its football culture big time.

Completely agree….we need to empty the club out including coaching staff.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: CrossPar  
Date:   Fri 29 Apr 22:30

Absolutely horrible performance tonight. Players were inept and gutless. Hughes reverts to same starting lineup who were awful in the last home game, even though the subs got him out of a hole that time. At this stage of the season, doesn`t appear to know what his best team is. Lawless and Chalmers have been rank for weeks, yet always play. The crossing and corners were criticised last week for never getting past the first man, yet we repeat again tonight. Don`t think Hughes has any clue tactically and Whittaker and Shields have now presided under 3 different managers and appear to add little. We will not survive the playoffs playing like that. We are utterly embarrassing.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: JTH123  
Date:   Fri 29 Apr 22:31

Quote:

Bannockburn Par, Fri 29 Apr 22:11

Quote:

parzdaft, Fri 29 Apr 22:10

Completely agree….we need to empty the club out including coaching staff.

Sadly it`s looking like that is what is needed. Just not good enough.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 29 Apr 22:36

Agree,we need to change the coaching staff.We are too predictable, tactics are stale,opposition suss us out every time.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 29 Apr 22:36

Glad I hoofed it with half an hour to go. Long drive back to Glasgow, home by half 10 better than midnight. The boys really do know how to let a big crowd down.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wulliepar57  
Date:   Fri 29 Apr 22:58

Topic Originator: buffy like
Date: Fri 29 Apr 21:57

Not a f chance.

That was embarrassing

buffysbuns.wordpress.com

My thoughts as well Lorna !
I have seen many a crap pars team but this team is right up there !
Need a real clean out from back room staff , players and manager !
Hughes is in the same mould as Grant , can certainly talk a good game and that`s it cannot understand why he waits so long to bring subs on either , He might have the title soon of being the manager that relegated 2 Fife teams
I am like others just gutted at the team not turning up tonight again and letting a fantastic support down once again ! those players do not deserve US!!

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 29 Apr 23:01

Can`t keep on changing the manager we just need to win the playoffs and then build a team for next season
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 29 Apr 23:02

Quote:

dafc-chris1, Fri 29 Apr 23:01

Can`t keep on changing the manager we just need to win the playoffs and then build a team for next season

Should we have kept Grant then?

Can`t just keep persisting with gubbins managers and hoping they`ll change.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 29 Apr 23:10

Grant was a terrible mistake but Yogi is a good manager and he needs time to build his own team he has been left with one hand tied behind his back thanks to Grants horrible recruitment
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 29 Apr 23:14

Quote:

dafc-chris1, Fri 29 Apr 23:10

Grant was a terrible mistake but Yogi is a good manager and he needs time to build his own team he has been left with one hand tied behind his back thanks to Grants horrible recruitment

Only one Grant signing started tonight`s game!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 29 Apr 23:25

Quote:

dafc-chris1, Fri 29 Apr 23:10
Yogi is a good manager

Ah, some humour to lift the spirits.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: 1985Par  
Date:   Fri 29 Apr 23:38

" Should we have kept Grant then?"

In hindsight, how much worse could things be? We`re still awful and staring into the abyss.

Grant at least realised that we weren`t going to pass our way out of this league and set about trying to implement a plan B.

Hughes has a philosophy that is totally wrong for this league but won`t change despite the league table implying that he probably should. He`s signed a load of powderpuff players to play the one and only way he believes in so when he tries to play more direct he hasn`t got the personnel to do it effectively.

Recent performances have been no improvement whatsoever on what was being served up at the start of the season.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: NikNakPar  
Date:   Fri 29 Apr 23:46

Quite relieved my son has a fife cup final same day as the play off final 2nd leg. If we get there i will be spared having to watch us.

Really hope we can just get through this stay up and rebuild for next season. Next season cannot be as bad as his one has surely.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 29 Apr 23:48

Do not try and justify keeping Grant. The man was an absolute charlatan

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 29 Apr 23:52

Quote:

1985Par, Fri 29 Apr 23:38

" Should we have kept Grant then?"

In hindsight, how much worse could things be? .

That`s too much humour, wind your neck in.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 30 Apr 07:42

It gives me absolutely zero pleasure that I called it correctly after last week`s loss at Firhill. It was always going to be a faint hope, having to rely on Partick doing us a favour, given they had the play off spot in the bag and would be resting their key players. Factor in that Ayr knew a win would ensure they were safe, making our game irrelevant. I`m just glad Ayr didn`t drop points or that would have made our result unforgivable or perhaps the game would have panned out differently. It looked very much like the players knew the half-time score from Somerset.

We now have to put last night`s performance behind us and prepare for the play offs. John Potter and Owen Coyle were at the game. I was told they`ve been appointed as Queens Park`s new management team.(Jack Ross is apparently lined up for Dens Park.) We`re fortunate to have another chance to save our season, just as QOS are unlucky to be relegated. The way we started the game last night makes me optimistic that we can do it - the second half performance makes me wonder if that optimism is justified.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 30 Apr 08:48

Quote:

da_no_1, Fri 29 Apr 23:48

Do not try and justify keeping Grant. The man was an absolute charlatan

We would have been relegated weeks ago if PG had remained boss.

A disaster from the get go.

Post Edited (Sat 30 Apr 08:48)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 30 Apr 08:51

I was worried about airdrie until last night, now I’m worried out bottle merchants won’t even get that far.

If queens are well organised and big and physical we’ll do well to get through, it’s guaranteed they will want it more than over half our team. Who is going to break a stubborn team down? Dom the only player capable of anything in that midfield.

Alas as we know there’s a big gap in quality between the divisions….maybe a good win on Wednesday and the confidence might come back at just the right time, who knows with this team.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 30 Apr 08:52

Yet another joke of a performance from our players. What does it say that a team already relegated would rather work harder than our team? Very worried going into the play offs and relegation I fear is coming

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 30 Apr 09:27

Interested to see that QP hardly in blistering form going into the play-offs

Last 6 - W2 D1 L3

Need to reset now and focus on the next game. The players now know they let us down. They really need to repay us with a run of results to salvage this disaster of a season

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 30 Apr 10:01

Quote:

da_no_1, Sat 30 Apr 09:27

Interested to see that QP hardly in blistering form going into the play-offs

Last 6 - W2 D1 L3

Need to reset now and focus on the next game. The players now know they let us down. They really need to repay us with a run of results to salvage this disaster of a season

The players (and the manager) have been letting us down ALL SEASON, not just after last night!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: The Boss  
Date:   Sat 30 Apr 10:26

The biggest problem for me is I don’t think the players have the bottle.

They can’t cope with any sort of pressure and you definitely need brave players for playoffs.

I like black and white (dreaming of black and white)
You like black and white
Run run away
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: cammypar 1995  
Date:   Sat 30 Apr 11:39

Our last 6 : W-2 L-4
With our last 3 home games 2 win and the defeat last night goal wise before last night we average 1.3 goals per game and lose 1.2

QP last 6 is above with a goal average of 0.8 goals per game and conceded 1.2

c'mon the pars
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: bannerpar  
Date:   Sat 30 Apr 12:05

For me, 1985Par identifies it correctly when he says we haven`t got the players at the club to play more directly. We are up with the best in the league at playing across and back but opening up a defence is something different. After a performance like last night the temptation is to think `get rid of the lot of them` but if we could get around 4 of the right sort it would make a big difference to what we`ve got. Trouble is most other clubs are looking for them too.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 30 Apr 12:09

Of the last 6 goals we`ve lost I think 4 have been from set-plays. I`m sure opposition managers will have noted that.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: buffy  
Date:   Sat 30 Apr 12:16

Rustybits mentioned something which resonated with me.

We don’t have any characters in our team. Apart from Dom and his song there’s no one who stands out or is relatable to the fans. Covid hasn’t helped with the lack of players functions and fan involvement etc, but if you look back at the teams before now there’s always been stand outs and favourites, and a definite cohesion on the pitch.

buffysbuns.wordpress.com
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 30 Apr 12:22

There`s definitely a lack of leadership on the field. Lawless isn`t a natural leader and giving him the captaincy may have contributed to his dip in form. Donaldson looks like leadership material but being a loanee might count against him being made captain. There`s certainly a lack of characters though.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 30 Apr 12:24

A few home truths are needed with this lot. Get big leishman in the changing room to try inspire some of them

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 30 Apr 14:39

Bannerpar your right, a midfield with pybus and chalmers in it couldn’t even open a tin of beans nevermind a team sitting in. They both have no idea going forward. O’hara always on the last man making intelligent runs but there’s no quality to pick him out.

Absolutely baffling we paid money for chalmers. He’s exactly the type of player we didn’t need and hasn’t offered anything more than the dross we already had.

If Queen’s Park get ahead in the game and then sit back these 2 will waste the time better than queens ever could.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 30 Apr 15:08

Very very harsh on Pybus, Berkey

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Gaz3822  
Date:   Sat 30 Apr 15:31

Pybus is decent actually.
I`d probably want to keep him and get rid of the rest of the midfield.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: BA  
Date:   Sat 30 Apr 15:37

Pybus and Chalmers aren’t there to open up defences - they’re a double pivot in holding midfield positions. Some people really don’t know their football on this forum!

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 30 Apr 16:35

Don’t get me wrong pybus has had a decent season and works his socks off, he’s better than chalmers in every way and definitely one I would keep.

I just don’t think we should be playing a very ineffective chalmers in that team with pybus, neither him or pybus offer you much going forward. Pybus has the engine to play in a 2 with another more creative type but not with chalmers who slows the play right down and shows no interest in passing forward, slower than a week in solitary too. It doesn’t help polworth and lawless have been passengers in the last few games, maybe they know the gigs up at east end.

BA clearly we needed double pivot defensive tactics in a must win game against a team already relegated. We might sneak a 0-0 playing that way on wed.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 30 Apr 17:36

I`d take that Berkey 😁

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: BA  
Date:   Sat 30 Apr 17:58

I never said they were needed, me actually understanding their roles in Yogi’s system is a different thing entirely…

However… Considering the players at his disposal tho I don’t mind Yogi’s system tbh.

He had what I feel is our best 11 starting last night and if we’d started the season with that 11 I don’t think we’d be where we are now. A double pivot in midfield provides cover for the rest of the midfield/frontline to go and do the business going forward - joined by the full backs. Problem last night tho was none of the forward line and full backs turned up second half (Edwards aside). The games against Morton, Patrick (home) and Raith have shown tho it’s a system that does work if executed correctly.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Indiapar  
Date:   Sat 30 Apr 18:34

We have been poor all season so in reality its no surprise where we are now Its the end of the season and those players on loan or out of contract will be moving on. For the teams from league 1 in the playoffs sadly I think for the reasons mentioned they will be more motivated i.e. looking for promotion rather than trying to avoid relegation. We have a tough task ahead. Personally, I think we will avoid the drop but will need to be at our best with the players we have.

Post Edited (Sat 30 Apr 18:56)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 30 Apr 18:45

What sort of record do Championship clubs have in these play-offs? Morton came through them successfully last season didn`t they?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 30 Apr 19:05

wee eck wrote:

> What sort of record do Championship clubs have in these
> play-offs? Morton came through them successfully last season
> didn`t they?
>
>

A very good one, The Championship club maintain their status over half the time (incredible given it`s a four team play-off) since the creation of the League in 2013. Cowdenbeath (remember that one) Alloa, QOTS and Morton staying up , Livingston, Raith and Dumbarton going down

Post Edited (Sat 30 Apr 19:07)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 30 Apr 19:38

Quote:

Westies squint kicks, Sat 30 Apr 19:05

wee eck wrote:

> What sort of record do Championship clubs have in these
> play-offs? Morton came through them successfully last season
> didn`t they?
>
>

A very good one, The Championship club maintain their status over half the time (incredible given it`s a four team play-off) since the creation of the League in 2013. Cowdenbeath (remember that one) Alloa, QOTS and Morton staying up , Livingston, Raith and Dumbarton going down

Raith should never have gone down. Our very own Stanza was at both games v Brechin and said the Rovers absolutely battered them home and away, but lost on pens.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Ianoappar  
Date:   Sun 1 May 09:46

I can see the irony Grant put us on the road to relegation.and his son plays for Queens Park.
Could he put the final nail in the coffin along with Quitongo and Murray.
Difficult games ahead and zero confidence in our group of players.

[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net