DAFC.net
Home 04 July 2022 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 European Domination
Topic Originator: Stanza  
Date:   Mon 25 Apr 18:24

This Guardian article suggests that as the Champions League is now so dominated by the rich clubs of Spain and England, and to a lesser extent Germany, Italy and France, that it may as well be acknowledged as the European Super League. Over the last twenty years, out of the 80 semi-finalists, only 3 have come from outside the top five leagues (Ajax, PSV and Porto.)

And still the big clubs want more.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2022/apr/23/by-stealth-rather-than-in-one-swoop-the-european-super-league-has-arrived?

Support Dunfermline Athletic Disabled Supporters` Club (it will cost you nothing) when you shop online with one of 6000 retailers and insurance firms etc
http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/dadsc
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: European Domination
Topic Originator: londonparsfan  
Date:   Mon 25 Apr 19:15

I`d argue its been like that ever since they started letting non Champions into the set up for the Champions Cup.

Ever since then they`ve been trying to find ways to maximise revenue by allowing more teams in from countries that tended not to have entrants whilst simultaneously keeping the seeding structures in place that give the biggest teams the best chance of playing the bigger games in the knockout phases.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Mon 25 Apr 20:55

Quote:

londonparsfan, Mon 25 Apr 19:15

I`d argue its been like that ever since they started letting non Champions into the set up for the Champions Cup.

Ever since then they`ve been trying to find ways to maximise revenue by allowing more teams in from countries that tended not to have entrants whilst simultaneously keeping the seeding structures in place that give the biggest teams the best chance of playing the bigger games in the knockout phases.

That`s a good article from Jonathan Wilson and you`re not wrong, lpf - the wheels started coming off the wagon exactly when you said they did. The mutterings of discontent regarding the old European Champions Cup, reached a crescendo when Maradona`s Napoli were drawn against Real in the 1st round some 30 years ago and went out on a 2-1 aggregate, Surely it was all wrong that two teams who could easily have proved worthy of a place in the final should face such an early exit, the blazers argued. And so seeding was introduced the following season.

Next it was the argument that teams like Barcelona, Inter and Juve had to play in the lesser competitions while the champions of small countries like Malta and Luxembourg were able to play in the Champions Cup. And so they came up with extra places for the bigger clubs.....

Now, they just turn the screw a little more every few years.....

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: aaaaaaaaaargh  
Date:   Mon 25 Apr 21:07

I will give the organisers a tiny bit of credit for introducing the champions` path in qualifying, which means some league champions from `lesser` leagues are guaranteed to make it to the group stages. I think this is the only positive development in 30 years, though.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: londonparsfan  
Date:   Mon 25 Apr 22:06

I honestly think that was to extend the TV market.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: aaaaaaaaaargh  
Date:   Mon 25 Apr 22:43

Actually that`s a very good point. Scrap the whole thing!

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: cougared  
Date:   Mon 25 Apr 23:36

I think it was Juventus and not Napoli being drawn against Real that started it all.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-35871295

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Wed 27 Apr 06:44

"I think it was Juventus and not Napoli being drawn against Real that started it all."

You are right, cougared. I had forgotten that tie. Real drew Napoli in the first round of the EC the following season to reinforce the argument from the big clubs that the competition should be seeded.

I also got the aggregate score wrong. It was 3-1 Real.

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net