DAFC.net
Home 07 July 2022 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Sportsound - end of an era (kind of)
Topic Originator: buffy  
Date:   Wed 27 Apr 18:30

Richard Gordon is stepping down from presenting Sportsound, after 30 years.

BBC reports :
“Gordon will switch to the Sunday edition of the show and will also continue with midweek coverage.

BBC Scotland will announce a regular Saturday replacement before next season kicks off in July.

"Given I`m about to complete my 30th full season, I think it`s the right time to step aside," said journalist and author Gordon. It has been an absolute privilege being in the hot seat every Saturday.

"It`s been a hugely difficult decision, but I`m delighted to be able to carry on doing Sundays and midweeks. "I felt I needed a new challenge alongside my BBC commitments, and I look forward to still being heavily involved in the wonderful world of Scottish football."

buffysbuns.wordpress.com
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Sportsound - end of an era (kind of)
Topic Originator: Malcolm Canmore  
Date:   Wed 27 Apr 19:15

Mr Gordon is an unsung hero of broadcasting. His handling and control of a lengthy, live radio broadcast; his knowledge of his subject matter; and his ability to manage some of the mavericks on air with him are without equal. Indeed, there is no close second.

Sportsound will be greatly reduced in quality by his absence.

My dog eats meat
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Wed 27 Apr 19:17

Richard Gordon is one of those voices I strongly associate with Sportsound so this is sad to hear.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: londonparsfan  
Date:   Wed 27 Apr 19:21

Gutted. Him, Bob Crampsey and Alistair Alexander were three of my favourites growing up listening to football on Radio Scotland. He`ll be hard to replace for sure.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wetherby  
Date:   Wed 27 Apr 19:23

What’s Archie Mcpherson or Dougie Donnelly doing these days ??

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Ben,D.A  
Date:   Wed 27 Apr 19:57

Is it a coincidence that our Buffy is leaving our updates now there is an opening with the BBC. :-)

only 11 make the team,the rest can just but dream.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Wed 27 Apr 20:09

When Bob died in 2008, aged 78, one obituary described him as a “Scottish renaissance man – a teacher and journalist who was the nation’s foremost football historian and a highly regarded, mellifluously voiced broadcaster over six decades”.

He was, among his many other accomplishments, winner of the BBC’S Brain of Britain title in 1965. He was an excellent pianist, too, and the author of several well-regarded books.

He had graduated with an Honours degree in history from Glasgow University and served three years with the RAF before embarking on a teaching career, rising to become head teacher of St Ambrose, Coatbridge.

His broadcasting career had begun alongside Arthur Montford on Scotsport (above) in the 1950s. “His droll accounts, littered with classical references and literary metaphors, became a vital part of the Scotsport formula”, noted the Guardian obituary.

We are forever shaped by the Children we once were
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: neils  
Date:   Wed 27 Apr 21:33

Loved all those names, superb journalists, Ian Archer too,

Richard Gordon will be extremely hard to replace.

[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Wed 27 Apr 22:12

Not forgetting the inimitable David Francey.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: twin par  
Date:   Wed 27 Apr 22:49

Jimmy sanderson,was a fabulous guy.Were you at the game caller!😅
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 27 Apr 23:06

Dinnae let the cat oot the bag now Ben DA 😂

buffysbuns.wordpress.com
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: AdamAntsParsStripe  
Date:   Wed 27 Apr 23:13

Sad to hear. Richard Gordon was the glue that held the show together with moderate opinion and kept the wolves at bay.
Hope Sportsound doesn`t descend into another clickbait show.

Zwei Pints Bier und ein Päckchen Chips bitte
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Thu 28 Apr 08:20

Richard Gordon has been the anchor man of Radio Scotland`s Sportsound for so long I can`t remember who did the job before him. Tom Ferrie comes to mind but he was really a DJ I think rather than a dedicated football man.

It will be interesting to see who replaces him. I don`t think any of the present cohort of stand-ins who deputise for him occasionally can hold a candle to his easy manner and encyclopaedic knowledge of Scottish football.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: da_no_1  
Date:   Thu 28 Apr 08:40

It`ll be Amy Irons

"Some days will stay a 1000 years, some pass like the flash of a spark"
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: dover par  
Date:   Thu 28 Apr 09:41

I bet, in line with current modern trends in the football world it will be a woman.

"Pressure is something you feel when you don't know what the hell you're doing."
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 28 Apr 10:21

Jonathan Sutherland - `Absolutely!`

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: elvis_lives  
Date:   Thu 28 Apr 11:38

Hopefully not Kenny McIntyre - shudder.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 28 Apr 12:35

Eilidh Barbour would be a good appointment but she might not see it as an advancement at this stage in her career. She`s a St Johnstone fan I think.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Socks  
Date:   Thu 28 Apr 13:13

If he`s been doing it since 1992, then that`s not far off my entire time as a football fan. I couldn`t tell you who did it before him either.

He`s certainly well suited to it and his manner is good. One thing that`s always impressed me is how he can switch back from fan to presenter after a game, even after he`s just watched Aberdeen lose painfully or to a dubious refereeing decision. I don`t think I`d be capable of doing that.

There isn`t anyone obvious to take over. You wouldn`t expect anyone else to have the same style that he does, but I`m struggling to think of anyone who would get anything like the same evel of respect. Jane Lewis might be the best of what`s there. Not Jonathan Sutherland. For him, it`s all about goals and nothing else, and he`s thoroughly annoyed me a number of times when he`s effectively rubbished a Friday night game that`s competitive and interesting but low scoring. And that tells me that he has little understanding or feel for football.

Of the other well-known radio voices, David Begg also deserves a mention. For many years, he and Alistair Alexander were the two main commentators and I probably preferred Begg a bit more simply because he sounded a bit less posh.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Squirrel Dodger  
Date:   Thu 28 Apr 13:54

I`m really quite gutted about this. Apart from all the other great reasons, mentioned above, Richard Gordon is just a classy kind of human. He has a sincerity about him that other presenters can`t seem to put across on air - if they possess it at all! I just don`t get why he`d give up such a job, though, as it sounds like most football fans dream!

Beware of the squirrel
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: da_no_1  
Date:   Thu 28 Apr 21:47

Maybe he wants to actually go to Don`s games as a supporter? Maybe before his kids grow up. He`s only giving up the 6 hour Saturday shift

"Some days will stay a 1000 years, some pass like the flash of a spark"
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: TAFKA_Super_Petrie  
Date:   Thu 28 Apr 21:51

Really enjoyed it growing up but not really a fan of the open all mics format so not really listened to it properly for a good few years now.

Was great with David Begg and Alistair Alexander doing commentary.

---------------------------------------------------------------

"People always talk about Ronaldinho and magic, but I didn't see him today. I saw Henrik Larsson; that's where the magic was."
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: bigdonnie  
Date:   Thu 28 Apr 22:25

always remember arthur in 1977 so unbiased kenny dalgish scores to make it 2-0 at annfield our arthur thats it argentina here i come was great guy loved what scrammash lol

donald mcneil
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 28 Apr 22:37

A favourite of mine was the late Dick Donnelly - his reports on the meetings of the two big Tayside city rivals is the stuff of legend.

"You join us here in disappointing weather around Dundee, for a dreich, dreary, dismal dundonian derby from Dens..."

Post Edited (Thu 28 Apr 22:38)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: dave67  
Date:   Thu 28 Apr 23:38

Former presentersBrian Marjoribanks (original host)
Tom Ferrie
Derek Rae
Roy Small

Roddy Forsyth

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: kelty_par  
Date:   Fri 29 Apr 05:35

"Jane Lewis might be the best of what`s there. "

Not often I disagree with you socks but I think she`s terrible. Always getting names and basic facts wrong, and doesn`t have the ability to get a point across quickly which is vital in the Open All Mikes format.

In terms of reporters at games, Derek Ferguson for all his strange mannerisms is probably the best of the older guard while the likes of Rory Loy, Tam McManus (although he doesn`t seem to be on these days, maybe too much Hibs TV) and Leeanne Crichton are good.

In terms of holding together though it seems pretty slim pickings. Jonathan Sutherland and Kenny McIntyre would seem like the obvious in-house contenders but I don`t rate either at all. Apparently the guy who does the similar job at Radio Clydebis quite decent and two guys with Pars connections - Gordon Smart and Steven Mill - have been mentioned.

Whoever takes over, hopefully they give some training to the pundits so that they actually say the name of the team or player who has scored or had a chance rather than telling us all about it without giving us the important information, as I disagree with TAFKA (and again that doesn`t happen that often) and think the OAM format is a solid one but just needs a wee bit tweaking to make it very good.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Fri 29 Apr 06:39

I suppose everything comes to an end eventually. I hadn`t realised Richard Gordon had been the Sportsound anchor man for 30 years. Simply the best ever, imo. So calm and unruffled. I felt like I knew him and he was a genuine friend. I remember him hosting Sportscene once and he looked tense and nervous on the screen. I can`t think of anyone who can adequately replace him.

"Not forgetting the inimitable David Francey."

It`s a goaalll ....... no, it`s over the baaarr. 😀

"Richard Gordon has been the anchor man of Radio Scotland`s Sportsound for so long I can`t remember who did the job before him."

Was it not Derek Rae, with his pseudo American accent? Shudder. ☹️

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: pars4life1  
Date:   Fri 29 Apr 07:32

Must say that I can’t agree with most, Gordon is just the same as many of his colleagues, which is often utterly clueless.

Just a couple of weeks ago(which would be last time I listened he was telling us that Ayr were ahead on alphabetical order after we beat them. That’s such an important fact to get completely wrong.

Standard of journalism in this country is terrible.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 29 Apr 10:23

"Former presentersBrian Marjoribanks (original host)
Tom Ferrie
Derek Rae
Roy Small

Roddy Forsyth"

Well remembered that man.

Was that Brian Marjoribanks senior, or the son of the same name ?

The father was a former professional who had a short career due to injury with spells at Hibs and Hearts.

He turned to acting and one of his roles was in an episode of Dr.Finlay`s Casebook (the original black and white series) as a player for Tannochbrae United - partly shot on location at Recreation Park, Alloa.......when a league fixture was in progress.

After the match, both teams changed into the old fashioned playing kit of that era and acted out a bounce game for BBC footage to edit in.

Roy Small, if memory serves, was PE lecturer and had some SFA role - he wasn`t suited for the radio, if you get my gist !!!

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 29 Apr 11:36

We had a wee blether the other night.
He’s looking at other projects, heading back up north and fyi the bairns are all grown up (his oldest son made him a grandad not long ago). 😀

buffysbuns.wordpress.com
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Kessel  
Date:   Sat 30 Apr 07:31

Richard Gordon has joined Cove Rangers to become their new Head of Media & Communications.
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net