DAFC.net
Home 04 July 2022 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Dan Pybus
Topic Originator: 2004Par  
Date:   Fri 29 Apr 22:28

Only Grant signing in the team today that started, and received player of the year,in a way goes to show that the signings that John Hughes has made except Donaldson IMO have been ineffective. Hughes signing well know players in Scottish football like Polworth, Ambrose,Lawless doesn’t mean they will be good at championship level. The championship is a strong physical league and we just look “weak”as one of the commentators said.

Post Edited (Fri 29 Apr 22:29)
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Dan Pybus
Topic Originator: Pars11  
Date:   Fri 29 Apr 22:46

Dan thoroughly deserves the award. Question, how can any of Yogi`s signings have made player of the year, not enough performances to be considered?

Bluebell Polka
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: cammypar 1995  
Date:   Sat 30 Apr 06:53

Didn`t think it was a good signing originally but he has been our best player by far this year.

c'mon the pars
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Lambo1885  
Date:   Sat 30 Apr 08:24

It shows how poor a side we are that Pybus is player of the year. He has an exceptional work rate, but is a distinctly average player.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: TAFKA_Super_Petrie  
Date:   Sat 30 Apr 08:33

Two or three of those `Charlie Adam world cup` diagonals out to the fullbacks were sensational. Inch perfect right on the money.

Just a shame we don`t have a more attack minded or creative midfielder to play alongside him if we persist with a 4-5-1.

Chalmers keeps posession fine and recycles the ball but it`s "tidy" and not much of a forward threat. Pybus is similar and does a tonne if work off the ball that goes unnoticed so the 3rd one needs to have a bit more creativity and guile going forward.

Polworth was really poor last night and has been disappointing overall since he signed IMO and Dorrans looks finished.

---------------------------------------------------------------

"People always talk about Ronaldinho and magic, but I didn't see him today. I saw Henrik Larsson; that's where the magic was."

Post Edited (Sat 30 Apr 08:39)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Berkey  
Date:   Sat 30 Apr 08:39

Pybus is an average player but makes up for it with workrate, the problem is we seem to think it works playing both pybus and chalmers in the same midfield. We need pybus to win it back and give it to someone who can see and play a pass forward.

Wonder how many assists the central midfielders have this season? Pybus got a cracking one against Partick but can’t think of one apart from that. O’hara will bang them in at this level if we had any quality on the ball to play him in so all he has to run onto it.

Chalmers can be tidy on the ball in his own half with loads of space but is either lazy or not capable of offering anything creative at all. Never seen him win a 50-50 yet but he’s so slow it turns most 50-50’s in favour of the opposition.

If chalmers is what hughes thinks we need in midfield at this level then yogi won’t see Christmas at this club regardless. Ayr will have been laughing all the way to bank on that one.

McCann is not the answer to any question at this level unfortunately either.

Clearout needed, starting with the manager, that was his side the night and he hasn’t got them plying as a team.

Things will be looking up……..now yogi is gone!

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: 68guns  
Date:   Sun 1 May 09:24

Pybus, along with Edwards, is the most consistent performer this season. Really can`t see the criticism of McCann making sense as he is the only player on our books who brings a physical presence to the team. O`Hara is not the answer to a lone striker, constantly offside with no capability to hold the ball up for support arriving. The league victories we have had this season have came when McCann has been brought into the team. Only upside of the season for me is securing McCann, Allan and Todd on extended contracts but we are going to lose experienced pro`s like Dow who has a good approach and can only have assisted the youngsters. I don`t see the likes of Chalmers, Polworth or Lawless assisting in that respect. I do see Pybus doing that but really hope we have a new manager and new approach.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Raymie the Legend  
Date:   Sun 1 May 09:32

TAFKA and Berkey make some good points.
I think Pybus covers enough ground to allow the manager to play more of 4-1-4-1 formation, with a more forward thinking midfielder? Perhaps a player like Dow, instead of Chalmers.

It’s also unfair to describe Pybus as distinctly average or average. He’s been a valuable member of the team.
Invariably, players that play in that position , tend not to get the recognition they deserve, especially at our level.

I think he’s a better footballer than some make out ?

It's bloody tough being a legend
Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Sun 1 May 09:52

I can`t think of one Pars` midfielder Berkey has praised in all the time I have visited this forum. Nor has he come up with one name of a player within our budget who would meet his criteria of what makes an effective midfield player.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: par-91  
Date:   Sun 1 May 09:55

Quote:

68guns, Sun 1 May 09:24

O`Hara is not the answer to a lone striker, constantly offside with no capability to hold the ball up for support arriving. The league victories we have had this season have came when McCann has been brought into the team.

O’Hara wouldn’t be constantly offside if the midfielders didn’t take 2/3 extra touches after he started his runs, every single time. We are so slow with the ball in our midfield it’s painful. That’s not O’Hara’s fault. If he’s meant to run in behind, the midfielders have to release the ball much quicker.

We also beat Partick and Raith at home recently, with O’Hara as a lone striker. Having said that, I think he and McCann would work really well together - we’ve seen glimpses of it late on in a few games and it always looks much more dangerous than either of them do as a lone striker. I do agree though, if we go 1 up top, it should be McCann.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: JimDAFC  
Date:   Sun 1 May 10:49

Have to agree with you par-69 the games I have seen this season with O`Hara up front the poor lad must get really dispirited when he is making really good curved runs into space time and again the pass never comes, must be coached in training that it`s better to keep possession in midfield than risk a forward pass.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Indiapar  
Date:   Sun 1 May 14:47

I think Dan Pybus pulls the midfield together. I suspect he will be the first to admit he is not the most creative player in football but you do get from him 100% effort and committment. That is an essential ingredient in any player at this level.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Sun 1 May 16:06

Quote:

Indiapar, Sun 1 May 14:47

I think Dan Pybus pulls the midfield together. I suspect he will be the first to admit he is not the most creative player in football but you do get from him 100% effort and committment. That is an essential ingredient in any player at this level.

Correct. Every team needs such a player. Cantona famously called Deschamps a water carrier. A man who subsequently won the WC as team captain and manager, not to mention a wheen of club honours.

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Sun 1 May 16:26

Quite appropriate that the water carrier should win the WC!

[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net