DAFC.net
Home 09 August 2022 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Willie Gibson
Topic Originator: TAFKA_Super_Petrie  
Date:   Fri 29 Apr 23:08

Best player on the park by a country mile tonight in what was a dead rubber for them.

Best days behind him and obviously not quite got the legs like he used to but he still absolutely strolled whilst not even playing in his natural position.

We could do with a few like that in our team but unfortunately we have a bunch that are, on the whole, soft as ***** (Donaldson and Pybus excluded tonight).

---------------------------------------------------------------

"People always talk about Ronaldinho and magic, but I didn't see him today. I saw Henrik Larsson; that's where the magic was."
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Willie Gibson
Topic Originator: Raymie the Legend  
Date:   Fri 29 Apr 23:16

I always liked Willie Gibson. I recall watching him give probably the best 45 mins of wing play, against Dundee on an utterly Baltic midweek night.
The right back was subbed at half time and no wonder - Willie went past him every single time with ease. I really felt for the lad.

It's bloody tough being a legend
Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: red-star-par  
Date:   Fri 29 Apr 23:19

Willie was a great player for us. I remember we were a bit of a turgid side back then, and he was the only reason I went to the games
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Grant  
Date:   Fri 29 Apr 23:23

Quote:

red-star-par, Fri 29 Apr 23:19

Willie was a great player for us. I remember we were a bit of a turgid side back then, and he was the only reason I went to the games

What? In his two seaons with us we finished 3rd, and then won the championship. The side was many things but turgid wasnt one of them, with Davie Graham, Joe Cardle and Gibson rotating through the wing positions with a good championship striker in Kirk we looked very, very good when it clicked. Inconsistent? Yes. Turgid? Absolutely not.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: JTH123  
Date:   Fri 29 Apr 23:27

Remember sitting at the front of the North West watching him tear the Rovers a new one. They basically had to work a rota system to bring him down.
I thought he was excellent tonight. As well as being really skilful he really draws on his experience. Whereas someone like Ambrose ......
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Lambo1885  
Date:   Sat 30 Apr 00:01

Altho Thomas put in a few decent crosses, Gibson got in his head and pretty much nullified him. Thomas was only really interested in beating Gibson and showing him who the better player was.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: the saline hill puma  
Date:   Sat 30 Apr 00:15

The fact that Thomas never once even tried to run by him shows how easy a night he had. Pathetic stuff, ***** about 40 and had our best player in his pocket.

Post Edited (Sat 30 Apr 00:15)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Bamba-Daft  
Date:   Sat 30 Apr 01:04

He was in Thomas and Ohara’s face early on. He got inside their heads and knew he had the beating of them. They shat it.
[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: da_no_1  
Date:   Sat 30 Apr 02:14

He`s an absolute bam but I loved watching him.

"Some days will stay a 1000 years, some pass like the flash of a spark"
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Andrew283  
Date:   Sat 30 Apr 02:54

Will always love Gibson for that front line with Graham, Cardle and Kirk. I long for the days of that level of quality in the team again
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: SammyT73  
Date:   Sat 30 Apr 08:03

It was Todd their number 8 that I thought was their best player, everything was going through him and he was always showing for the pass and eager to get on the ball however none of our midfield had the sense to go tight and nullify him, he showed more fight for an already relegated team than any of our lot.

COYP
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: gordi-b  
Date:   Sat 30 Apr 08:13

Gibson was miles better than any of the imposters we had out there

G.B
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: livipar2  
Date:   Sat 30 Apr 08:46

He was brilliant for us, loved watching him. Think he got in team of the decade and rightly so.

Still a class act at this level, would never have thought he could play fullback or be a manager for that matter!

Mon the Pars!!!!!!!!!!!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: eastendalloapar  
Date:   Sat 30 Apr 09:08

He had an excellent game last night. MOM for me.

matt forsyth
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Bucuresti Par  
Date:   Sat 30 Apr 10:15

Always enjoyed watching him play for us and been impressed every time he`s come back. There`s a bit of fight and attitude about him (as well as quality) that is sorely lacking from our current `crop` of midfielders.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Angus_W  
Date:   Sat 30 Apr 10:30

I agree…….

There’s no way Gibson would put up with what was on display from the Pars last night.

There is no fight in our team, we’re a pushover - we haven’t got a chance in the playoffs.

“.........your on mute Jordan” 😀
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Sat 30 Apr 14:49

Quote:

Angus_W, Sat 30 Apr 10:30

There is no fight in our team, we’re a pushover - we haven’t got a chance in the playoffs.

Oh come on, Angus. I hope the players Hughes sends out have a more positive mindset than you. We`re playing a team who finished 4th in the league below over 2 games with the 2nd leg at home. We have to believe we can overcome them unless we just roll over. Rinse and repeat for the final. Not suggesting we should be arrogant or complacent, we`ll have to scrap for every ball.

These games will be very different from last night`s debacle. Anybody who thought Ayr would drop points to a seriously weakened Thistle is delusional. The manager and his players knew the ball was burst last week at Firhill and the heads went down when they heard Ayr were on their way last night.

Professional? No. Understandable? Yes.

Not your average Sunday League player.

Post Edited (Sat 30 Apr 14:50)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 30 Apr 17:19

….can’t agree GG.

QotS had nothing to play for but put up a great fight back in the second half to win the game. That takes guts………..

We all knew that last night was a tall order but throwing in the towel is not acceptable in any circumstance.

Let’s face facts we’ve not exactly got a good record in play-offs.

I want to see some fight, show the opposition we are up for it, it was sadly lacking in the SH last night.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: CrossPar  
Date:   Sat 30 Apr 17:23

Excusable? No.

These guys were not only playing to get a better result than Ayr. They should also have been playing for all the fans that turned out to see them, the badge on the shirt, to keep their place in the team, to earn or renew their contract, their professional pride, etc etc.

But no, they just downed tools. Disgraceful. And Yogi sat and allowed them to do it.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Sat 30 Apr 19:09

Quote:

Angus_W, Sat 30 Apr 17:19

….can’t agree GG.

QotS had nothing to play for but put up a great fight back in the second half to win the game. That takes guts………..

We all knew that last night was a tall order but throwing in the towel is not acceptable in any circumstance.

Let’s face facts we’ve not exactly got a good record in play-offs.

I want to see some fight, show the opposition we are up for it, it was sadly lacking in the SH last night.

QOS did well 2nd half, but that was their last game. The Pars knew at halftime that the play offs were a certainty. Hughes subbing Coll and Dom was a tacit admission that he`s saving them for next week.

The players on the park should ideally have been busting a gut to achieve a win for all the fans who turned up. The reality was that they were deflated by the Ayr score.

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 30 Apr 19:22

……I take your point About the HT Ayr situation & saving players for the playoffs.

Unfortunately we have all witnessed some half-arsed performances this season & last nights SH was just another.

I think we can agree that from here on in its pedal to the metal time.

No more rope - no more excuses.

[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net