DAFC.net
Home 08 December 2022 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Well done ye Rangers
Topic Originator: Paralex  
Date:   Thu 5 May 23:06

That was superb at Ibrox tonight. Some brilliant performances but that guy Bassey, what a player!!! Lundstrom, Kamara and Tavernier too. To reach that final with their budget is a major achievement. I`m no bluenose since I have also been to many Celtic European games but that win by Rangers tonight certainly lifted my spirits.

Post Edited (Thu 05 May 23:13)
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Well done ye Rangers
Topic Originator: Big T Par  
Date:   Thu 5 May 23:18

WIR SIND ALLE FRANKFURT 🇩🇪

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 5 May 23:28

Mein bruder who lives in Berlin will be greetin` in his Franzikaner (I think that`s German beer)

Post Edited (Thu 05 May 23:30)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: doctordandruff  
Date:   Fri 6 May 00:00

Rangers, Frankfurt, Roma, Feyenoord. Great European names shoved aside by petro-dollars and TV money. Great to see them all back.

Such a shame that Rangers fans are total scumbags.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: da_no_1  
Date:   Fri 6 May 00:17

No love for them or their ugly sisters and I`ll not be supporting them in the final. They hate everything to do with Scottish football. Fk them

"Some days will stay a 1000 years, some pass like the flash of a spark"
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 6 May 00:50

Try your best to see past that da no1 and salute the honest endeavour that the players put in. Only 3 of them from Scotland and the others know little to nothing about the controversies of Scottish football. After many years in the wilderness they put us back on the European Football map.

Post Edited (Fri 06 May 00:51)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 6 May 00:55

Na yer fine. Bigoted scum

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Kessel  
Date:   Fri 6 May 00:59

Quote:

da_no_1, Fri 6 May 00:17

No love for them or their ugly sisters and I`ll not be supporting them in the final. They hate everything to do with Scottish football. Fk them

100% agreed.
[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: theparsman1885  
Date:   Fri 6 May 01:04

Us back on the map? The two Glasgow clubs want nothing to do with Scotland. Tricolours v Union Jack fests. They are an embarrassment to Scotland with their bigotry and a cancer on our domestic game. We would be so much better off without them both in terms of football and society.

I hope Frankfurt absolutely crush their soul, and I pity the poor people of Seville who will have to put up with the behaviour of “ra peepel” - just ask Manchester how that went last time.

Vile club that plays up to the base of their support to stir up the “traditionalism” for a fast buck. Forgive me for not fawning over their “achievement”. They cheated, got caught, went bust, came back, have cheated again - they may well just scrape enough cash to pay off the loans this time round, but that team has been built once again on borrowed cash.

Back on the fence I go now. 🤣

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 6 May 01:24

Pot calling the kettle black a wee bit there. I thought we went bust round about the same time. But think of this chaps, next season we could actually be playing major European Cup finalists or even winners. Does that wonderful prospect not make you salivate.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: General Zod  
Date:   Fri 6 May 04:53

A few years back I might have wished them well in the final but since their relegation and return to the top flight their fans seem to have turned up their scumbaggery up to full blast. A club who’s literal foundation is built on hate and intolerance can get themselves right tae feck. Also, this club and its fans aren’t representing Scotland, they are only representing themselves. They can’t wait to get away and play in England as we’re all too rubbish for them. I tell you one thing for sure, the people of Seville are going to get a shock as it’ll be nothing like the last time the Scots were there, especially if they lose. God help them all.

I want to add in my edit that if Rangers do win the final they will absolutely 100% deserve it.

Post Edited (Fri 06 May 05:53)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 6 May 06:58

Quote:

Paralex, Fri 6 May 01:24

Pot calling the kettle black a wee bit there. I thought we went bust round about the same time. But think of this chaps, next season we could actually be playing major European Cup finalists or even winners. Does that wonderful prospect not make you salivate.

We didn`t go bust.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Fri 6 May 07:06

It`s a great achievement by the team and van Bronckhorst, but for the reasons outlined by other posters above, I didn`t celebrate wildly last night.

Like Zod, I share the fear that their fans will trash Seville - win or lose* - alarm its people and generally besmirch Scotland`s international image, in much the same way as the yobs following England did in years gone by.

*Rangers will surely fare better than their predecessors when they met Eintracht in the 1960 Champions Cup semi-final, which they lost 6-1, 6-3 for a humbling 12-4 aggregate. Eintracht themselves were then smashed 7-3 by Real Madrid in an exhilarating Hampden final. (Alfredo di Stefano scored a hat trick and Ferenc Puskas went one better.)

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: AJ27  
Date:   Fri 6 May 07:19

Can’t abide either side of the Old Firm but I’ve always supported all Scottish teams in Europe and hope they win the final (although I know this means their “fans” will be even more insufferable than usual).

Andy J
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: eastendalloapar  
Date:   Fri 6 May 07:32

Fine to see the new team The Rangers 2012 do well.

matt forsyth
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Tenruh  
Date:   Fri 6 May 07:39

Quote:

AJ27, Fri 6 May 07:19

Can’t abide either side of the Old Firm but I’ve always supported all Scottish teams in Europe and hope they win the final (although I know this means their “fans” will be even more insufferable than usual).

They`re not a Scottish team.

Disappointed to hear this morning that the stadium only holds around 40k, pity it didn`t have a capacity of 100k and The Rangers got around 60k of the tickets and they then get a sound thrashing.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Fri 6 May 07:43

Fair play to them but agree with others that they`re not a Scottish club.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DBP  
Date:   Fri 6 May 07:43

Didn’t watch it… I’ve kinda changed my tune over the last few years regarding the OF in Europe.

Never had any time for either of the bigot brothers, although hand on heart, I probably dislike rangers a teeny bit more due to the whole union-jackery - with me being an Indy supporter.

But that said, I used to want all teams representing the Scottish league (which is all they’re doing really) to do well as I always thought it reflected well on us and secured places for the odd other team - but now realise that nobody really benefits other than the old firm and prize money just widens the gulf even more - so f them.
I’m sure Frankfurt are not a German ‘money’ team, so would be happier for them to close their gap against the Bayerns of their league thanks
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Fri 6 May 08:29

Quote:

jake89, Fri 06 May 07:43

Govan has declared independence ?

Do they have German links like us ?

Post Edited (Fri 06 May 08:29)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 6 May 08:51

I suppose they only really represent the SFA as they take the slots offered to our national governing body…

what or who they represent culturally from an identity perspective is up to them and their fans
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: 1985Par  
Date:   Fri 6 May 08:55

I loathe Rangers (and Celtic) and I`ve always argued that their progress through the money making stages of European competition is more to the detriment of the Scottish game as a whole than to it`s advantage. However they are in the final on merit, they`ve been the better team in every game in the knockout stages, they play good football and the manager is hard to dislike. Well done to them. Come on Frankfurt.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: red-star-par  
Date:   Fri 6 May 08:56

I couldn`t bring myself to support them even if they are a Scottish League team. Their fans are a disgrace. I lived in Sevilla back when Celtic played in the final there and their fans were an absolute credit to the nation. I barely had to pay for a drink whenever I wore my kilt out thereafter as all the local bars made so much money that week.
My main fear is that win or lose, their fans will go on the rampage and Scotlands good reputation will be ruined
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: d3monstrate  
Date:   Fri 6 May 09:08

I think the main difference between it being in Seville rather than Manchester is it isn`t just a trek down the road in a bus/train/car, so the knuckle dragging element of their support will be less likely to make the trip...

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: theparsman1885  
Date:   Fri 6 May 09:17

Paralex, you’re trying too hard 😂🎣

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: vasco  
Date:   Fri 6 May 09:23

Hope they get gubbed in the final. Rangers died and the Pars survived.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: PARrot  
Date:   Fri 6 May 09:29

Quote:

Tenruh, Fri 6 May 07:39

Quote:

AJ27, Fri 6 May 07:19

They`re not a Scottish team.

Disappointed to hear this morning that the stadium only holds around 40k, pity it didn`t have a capacity of 100k and The Rangers got around 60k of the tickets and they then get a sound thrashing.

They are a Scottish team.

I am assuming you are disowning them because the vast majority are unionists.

Is nationalist biggotry any better than religious biggotry?

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DA-go Par Adonis  
Date:   Fri 6 May 09:33

Being a supporter of a German-owned club, I`ll be staying loyal re my allegiances for the final.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I love it when we go sell Kevin Nisbet,
He's gonna pay for everyone this season.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 6 May 09:34

Quote:

veteraneastender, Fri 6 May 08:29

Quote:

jake89, Fri 06 May 07:43

Govan has declared independence ?

Do they have German links like us ?

They may be Scottish in terms of location, but they`re not a Scottish club in my eyes.

They would ditch Scotland at the very first opportunity. They also actively encoursge bigotry by doing very little to tackle it and then encouraging it with the orange shirt nonsense.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Raymie the Legend  
Date:   Fri 6 May 09:42

A successful Rangers and Celtic do absolutely hee haw for teams like the Pars.

Of course, it`s good to see Scottish teams doing well in Europe, so I hope they get pumped.

One of the employees is a Rangers fan and has put in a holiday request for the day after.
I`m considering sacking him

Post Edited (Fri 06 May 09:43)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 6 May 09:48

🤣
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks  
Date:   Fri 6 May 10:02

Quite a few Rangers fans at my work. All of them are decent people and as far as I can tell hold no bigoted views towards Celtic supporters and none of them give two hoots about anyone`s religion.
One game away from becoming the first club from this nation to win a European trophy in forty years and the first to win two European titles (the Super Cup doesn`t count!). It`s good to see both sides of the old firm being miserable but this season is unusual in that they will both now count the season as a success though if Rangers do triumph in Sevilla then obviously their success will be far greater.

Post Edited (Fri 06 May 10:07)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 6 May 10:11

"I am assuming you are disowning them because the vast majority are unionists."

Or maybe because a lot of them are scumbags who sing about killing catholics every game - and did the same thing when they were supporting the original, liquidated version of their club?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 6 May 10:55

Quote:

The One Who Knocks, Fri 6 May 10:02

Quite a few Rangers fans at my work. All of them are decent people and as far as I can tell hold no bigoted views towards Celtic supporters and none of them give two hoots about anyone`s religion.
One game away from becoming the first club from this nation to win a European trophy in forty years and the first to win two European titles (the Super Cup doesn`t count!). It`s good to see both sides of the old firm being miserable but this season is unusual in that they will both now count the season as a success though if Rangers do triumph in Sevilla then obviously their success will be far greater.

As far as I can tell, you`re a reasonably intelligent person, so I`m deducing that you are in acreasonbly intelligent line of work and your colleagues are also reasonably intelligent people. Why then would they be expected to behave like some of the Neanderthals who follow the club, singing their hate filled sectarian songs? Every club numbers some morons in its support. At Ibrox the moronic element significantly exceeds that of any other Scottish club.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Wotsit  
Date:   Fri 6 May 11:01

As well as the fact that they, along with the other cheek, would happily abandon Scottish football given the chance.

"Who you are and what you feel comes not just from inside you, but from where you are in the power structure"
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 6 May 11:03

"Hope they get gubbed in the final. Rangers died and the Pars survived."

We are one game away from potential relegation to the third tier and Rangers (or whatever you want to call them) are one game from potentially winning a major European trophy.

Reports of their "death " are premature, to say the least.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 6 May 11:28

They died 10 years ago, hence the past tense.

It`s hardly premature.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 6 May 11:34

VEE not judging the room very well.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: dafc  
Date:   Fri 6 May 11:47

As a football fan it is great to see a Scottish team in a major European final. It’s irconic some fans on hear talking about rangers fans, however it’s a bit like how other fans see Pars fans as over entitled scum. (Not all)
Rangers from depths of League 2 to a European final in 9 years is amazing in anyone who enjoys football eyes. Where as Pars 9 years since have struggled despite having a far superior budget to the majority and now staring a trip back to league 2.
Jealousy and hatred comes in many forms.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 6 May 11:52

League One.

"Who you are and what you feel comes not just from inside you, but from where you are in the power structure"
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 6 May 12:16

"They died 10 years ago, hence the past tense.

It`s hardly premature."

Semantics - the current reality is different.

I`m sure the Rangers (Phoenix) board, management, players and support etc. have sleepless nights, regardless of the past, present or (maybe) future.

"VEE not judging the room very well"

Hostile witnesses ?

Post Edited (Fri 06 May 12:19)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 6 May 12:17

"Rangers from depths of League 2 to a European final in 9 years is amazing in anyone who enjoys football eyes"

Take that comment & ram it as far as it can go.

"Where as Pars 9 years since have struggled despite having a far superior budget to the majority and now staring a trip back to league 2"

To compare their "journey" with ours since their reformation & our administration is stupid beyond belief.

In league 2 they hired a whole floor at Dakota for an overnighter before an away game at East Fife.

We still can`t get credit 8 years later.

I will never, EVER, be jealous of Rangers & their success. We might be sh1te just now but there is only one club I will ever support in the true meaning of the word.

And yeah, I despise them & every single thing they stand for.

Post Edited (Fri 06 May 12:19)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 6 May 12:23

Semantics - the current reality is different.

Hardly. Their club liquidated. It`s a matter of fact rather than semantics.

The current reality is that the latest incarnation of Rangers has done incredibly well on reaching the final of a European competition. Still must be sh1t supporting them and constantly having to pretend to yourself and others that your club has any sort of history.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 6 May 12:24

The point you make about hate filled songs GG could equally apply to DAFC in some of the songs our young fans have been singing to Ayr Utd supporters. Don`t know about the rest of you but made me cringe. No need for it.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: PARrot  
Date:   Fri 6 May 13:25

Quote:

DA-go Par Adonis, Fri 6 May 10:11

"I am assuming you are disowning them because the vast majority are unionists."

Or maybe because a lot of them are scumbags who sing about killing catholics every game - and did the same thing when they were supporting the original, liquidated version of their club?

Ok but how does that make them not scottish.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 6 May 13:37

It gives reason to completely disassociate ourselves from them.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: alwaysaPar  
Date:   Fri 6 May 14:46

I`m glad we support a team where we have no moronic supporters who sing hate filled tunes and don`t abuse players, officials and opposing supporters
while also realising we have a team that is not entitled to beat certain teams that are considered to be of a lesser level.....

We`re the best fans ever.......
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 6 May 14:58

"We still can`t get credit 8 years later."

That`s what happens when you can`t pay your bills and shaft a bunch of small creditors.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 6 May 15:04

"Still must be sh1t supporting them and constantly having to pretend to yourself and others that your club has any sort of history."

A packed Ibrox every home game tends to suggest a different mindset.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 6 May 15:25

"A packed Ibrox every home game tends to suggest a different mindset."

PMSL. Yes, I am happy to agree that I have a completely different mindset from those who pile into Ibrox every week with their Union Jack, emblazoned with (insert place name) Loyal written on it, sing songs about killing catholics and think they are "the people" and that they follow a club formed in the 1870s...

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 6 May 15:51

"PMSL. Yes, I am happy to agree that I have a completely different mindset from those who pile into Ibrox every week with their Union Jack, emblazoned with (insert place name) Loyal written on it, sing songs about killing catholics pre match silencethink they are "the people" and that they follow a club formed in the 1870s.."

They`ve done that ever since I can remember, nothing new there pre, or post 2012.

I mind the day after JFK was assassinated - Rangers were at EEP and the travelling support trashed the pre kick off silence.

Little changes as time passes.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 6 May 16:14

Quote:

veteraneastender, Fri 6 May 14:58

"We still can`t get credit 8 years later."

That`s what happens when you can`t pay your bills and shaft a bunch of small creditors.

Agreed. Again tho, missing the point. Are you doing it deliberately?

Post Edited (Fri 06 May 16:24)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 6 May 17:19

"Agreed. Again tho, missing the point. Are you doing it deliberately?"

What exactly is the point ?

We couldn`t pay our creditors, large or small - struggling to think of any businesses or banks etc. that would be willing to risk extending credit to DAFC in such circumstaces.

Same as happened to Dundee (twice) and others.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 6 May 17:30

The thread is about Rangers.

Someone tried to compare their progress since 2014 to ours.

I put it out there that it`s a ridiculous comparison.

That`s my point.

You`re either deliberately trying to start an argument yet again or you only read and absorb bits of my post.

At no point did I say anything other than "we can`t get credit". Trust me i fully understand why not and have no problem with it.

Yet again you seem to enjoy having a sly wee dig at anything Dunfermline related on any thread about any topic.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 6 May 17:43

Quote:

Paralex, Fri 6 May 12:24

The point you make about hate filled songs GG could equally apply to DAFC in some of the songs our young fans have been singing to Ayr Utd supporters. Don`t know about the rest of you but made me cringe. No need for it.

I don`t know the content of any song(s) sung by Pars fans to Ayr fans, Paralex, but I`d be happy for you to enlighten me. I can`t quite see what connection we could have to them, in the way that the two big Glasgow clubs have.

I could also accuse you of whataboutery, but I`ll just limit myself to saying that two wrongs don`t make a right.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Rusty Shackleford  
Date:   Fri 6 May 17:52

All clubs have a minority of complete numpties in their support.

The problem with Rainjurs is that it`s a huge, huge minority and the club actively trades off bigotry.

How that can even be up for debate is beyond me. Awful, awful institution and a skidmark on Scottish society.

Anyway, I have a long lineage of Frankfurt relatives which I`ve only since discovered last night around 10pm.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 6 May 18:00

The song in question GG is a parody of the "Ayr, Ayr super Ayr" in which two words are inserted for super, one of which is designed to be offensive and hateful to their fans. It`s just to make the point that when we are painting other teams with a broad brush and saying that all fans are like the offensive minority that we have been less than perfect ourselves.

And to answer Rusty`s post since Rangers have a much bigger fan base than we do it`s self evident that their cohort of abusive fans will be exponentially more. The vast majority of Rangers supporters I know wouldn`t join in with offensive songs and it is largely the practice of young daft supporters as it is at DAFC.

Post Edited (Fri 06 May 18:07)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 6 May 18:01

"Someone tried to compare their progress since 2014 to ours."

Each time Rangers get a mention hereabouts it`s not long before "someone" reminds us that they died and we survived - as if it were somehow significant in comparisons.

The reality is very different, as you say, comparisons are ridiculous.

We might be in League 1 as of 5:45pm tomorrow - God forbid.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 6 May 18:05

It is significant to those who helped our club survive the administration process. It means that the club formed in 1885 can carry on with its proud history whereas the one formed in 1873 ceased in 2014 when the Newco formed straight after.

Doesn`t matter where we end up I`m proud to say I support the former.

Post Edited (Fri 06 May 18:09)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 6 May 18:14

Quote:

Paralex, Fri 6 May 18:00

The song in question GG is a parody of the "Ayr, Ayr super Ayr" in which two words are inserted for super, one of which is designed to be offensive and hateful to their fans. It`s just to make the point that when we are painting other teams with a broad brush and saying that all fans are like the offensive minority that we have been less than perfect ourselves.

I can`t condone anything which is offensive and/or hateful, but from the little you`ve posted, I don`t think it`s remotely comparable to songs which embrace sentiments like "f**k the pope" and "up to our knees in Fenian blood."

I`ve also been at Ibrox when the Pars were the visitors and heard shouts of "Yer fathers are all priests, ya Fenian b******s. Quite endearing eh? What kind of people appear to exist just to hate another group of people that they don`t even know?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 6 May 18:27

There`s little pride in the club going into administration but it was a facility to allow the club to survive, get back on an even keel and progress.

Rangers ceased to exist, somehow got back into the professional leagues (I still don`t understand how that worked given Airdrie had to buy another club out to get a spot), bought their way through the leagues and are now back to their usual selves promoting bigotry throughout Scotland.

The entire league setup in Scotland is designed to suit two clubs. Offer them a place in the English leagues or in an Atlantic league and they`ll be gone.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 6 May 19:26

I wouldn`t say not remotely comparable GG, since the same fk sentiment is expressed by our young fans directly to the Ayr fans. While not having great regard for the office of a certain gentleman from a remote principality on the banks of the Tiber, and there are very good reasons from a Scottish perspective to support that view, it is certainly wrong to abuse his name at a football match. The other reference about knees and blood and harking back to far distant battles (which understood in the context of the times were part of a tortuous journey to greater freedoms from tyranny for ordinary Scottish people). But it is evident that those who do the singing are mindless of that history and are engaging in tribal vitriol. They are expressing malevolence to other people and so are our fans when they sing fk your Ayr.

In my own experience I often went to Ibrox in the late 1960`s with my pal who was a Rangers supporter. When they were playing Dunfermline, I went with my Dunfermline scarf on. My pal`s mother was a protestant and his dad was a Catholic. He gave full vent to the abusive songs at the games and later in life played the drum in an orange band. His dad was a fine man who came to many of our BB and youth matches that we both played in. Later after I had become a Christian his dad, a practicing Roman Catholic, showed me real kindness and encouraged me in my Christian faith when I was going through a difficult time. The point I am making is that the vitriol is mindless and that God`s grace can change peoples hearts and minds. I`ve said it before. I would love to see our society transformed to the extent that even football matches are places where we express kindness not hate.

Post Edited (Fri 06 May 19:30)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: The Boss  
Date:   Fri 6 May 20:35

Quote:

da_no_1, Fri 06 May 18:05

It is significant to those who helped our club survive the administration process. It means that the club formed in 1885 can carry on with its proud history whereas the one formed in 1873 ceased in 2014 when the Newco formed straight after.

Doesn`t matter where we end up I`m proud to say I support the former.

Totally this! Fans,the board,volunteers etc saved our club. Administration isn’t anything to be proud of but the way our supporters rallied round is.

I can’t believe people are actually trying to compare our supporters to theirs. If we ever played in European final, I’m sure our supporters wouldn’t wreck the city and fight with police. Even when they travel in this country, they’re always causing bother. They cause trouble when they lose and when they win.

I like black and white (dreaming of black and white)
You like black and white
Run run away

Post Edited (Fri 06 May 20:37)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 6 May 20:40

By making an argument based on Irish history as a way to somewhat mitigate hateful singing, especially in this context, you have given yourself away somewhat Paralex.

By the way, I`d be happy to debate the merits, or lack thereof, of Britain`s forays into Ireland if you like, but on the Off Topic Forum. separate from the rather more innocent (and decidedly less bloody) topic of Scottish football.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: LochgellyAlbert  
Date:   Fri 6 May 20:45

Wonder if they`ll take more than the 3 million Celtic took to Seville?🤔😎🤣🤣🤣
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Fri 6 May 21:17

The BBC have been going overboard about this all day. Jonathan Sutherland even managed to squeeze it into his half-time review of the ICT v PT game. I wonder how they`ll cover the final with no access to the Rangers` players and management?

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: dave67  
Date:   Fri 6 May 21:18

At the start of the week there was 5 British teams in Europe. Today there is only 2

4 where in the English premiership. So fair does to them for reaching a final

Let`s try making it till Christmas
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: P  
Date:   Fri 6 May 21:18

Quote:

GG Riva, Fri 6 May 18:14

Quote:

Paralex, Fri 6 May 18:00

I can`t condone anything which is offensive and/or hateful, but from the little you`ve posted, I don`t think it`s remotely comparable to songs which embrace sentiments like "f**k the pope" and "up to our knees in Fenian blood."

I`ve also been at Ibrox when the Pars were the visitors and heard shouts of "Yer fathers are all priests, ya Fenian b******s. Quite endearing eh? What kind of people appear to exist just to hate another group of people that they don`t even know?

Can’t speak for the Ayr game but the Rovers game had a full range of rape related songs (“you only sing when your raping” and the like) which I was surprised didn’t get highlighted after as they were appalling

Post Edited (Fri 06 May 21:19)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 6 May 21:29

I haven`t mitigated any hateful singing Wotsit, nor have I singled out a particular Battle, although the song the Rangers supporters sing does focus on one particular Battle. The Covenanter battles of Rullion Green, Drumclog and Bothwell Brig were significant as were the Jacobite battles. Further back the Battle of Langside
which ended with Mary Queen of Scots fleeing to England was also significant.

Whether we like it or not, religion in the past 5 centuries was a powerful force throughout Europe and had a stranglehold on society. Common people were not taught to read and printing presses were banned. Reform was essential and those who held power resisted it fiercely. It was only won through blood sweat and tears and we have all benefitted from it.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 6 May 21:37

Whilst all of that is fascinating and worthy of discussion Paralex, it has sod all to do with the game of football.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 6 May 21:46

Oh thanks Wotsit, here`s me thinking I was answering one of your contentions. But maybe I`m getting carried away after reading a fascinating Scottish history book in the past week.

And it`s keeping "Yogi has to go" from the top of the leader board.

Post Edited (Fri 06 May 21:48)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 7 May 06:56

Thing is, being a Johnny Foreigner, I`ve never been able to fathom why folk want to bring this 300+ year old cultural Irish baggage into Scottish football stadia every week. I`ve been asked about this by my equally confused compatriots when I`ve been back in Italy.

Paralex, there is no justification for singing offensive songs about "a certaingentleman who lives in a principality on the banks of the Tiber" as you so quaintly put it. Like you and me, he wasn`t around in 1690, so he is hardly to blame for the injustices perpetrated by the Roman Catholic church during that era, anymore than I can be blamed for the injustices sufferd by Italian peasants at the hands of Mussolini`s Fascists.

Time to let go, don`t you think? Sadly, I don`t see that happening any time soon, in this, God`s ain wee country. Maybe they should ban ferry trips from Norn Iron on Saturday mornings? 🤔

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 7 May 08:31

GG, I`d agree that the Rangers support do probably have a higher percentage of cretins than other clubs do. It`s just I don`t personally know any Rangers that like. I also have plenty of Celtic loving colleagues, friends and family members. All thoroughly decent people who wouldn`t for a second mock those who died in the Ibrox disaster yet I just found out last week (and saw) that some Celtic supporters do just that.
Anyways back to the football. If Rangers do go to win the Europa League final would that rank as the greatest achievement ever by a Scottish club in Europe?

And although my eyes were open
They just might as well be closed
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: P  
Date:   Sat 7 May 09:14

Not even remotely close to Lisbon Lions if they do

All but two members of the 15 man squad were born within 10 miles of Celtic Park

Post Edited (Sat 07 May 09:23)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 7 May 09:25

Not even as impressive as Aberdeen imo.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 7 May 09:34

I did say, GG that it was certainly wrong to abuse that certain gentleman`s name at a football match. Obviously I don`t recognise the exalted position that he assumes but have no reason to deride him as a human being.

As far as the football is concerned let`s not get into comparisons between the Lisbon Lions and the current Rangers team. European football is light ages away from what it was in 1967.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 7 May 10:05

You are correct that it`s almost pointless to compare achievements in the modern age to those from decades ago as the structure of the game has changed so much.
For Celtic to win in 1967 they had to get past FC Zurich, Nantes, Vojvodina, Dukla Prague and then Inter in the final. The 15 miles from Parkhead is quite a stat but then how much of a population lived within 15 miles of Parkhead?
I heard that the Rangers team that defeated RB the other night only cost £13 million to assemble. A measly outlay compared to many other elite European clubs.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 7 May 10:27

There are two themes running through this thread.

1. Reaching the Europa League final is a considerable achievement by the Ibrox club and all praise directed at the players and manager is thoroughly deserved.

2. Many fans of other clubs are not turning cartwheels of joy as a result. This is not out of jealousy but more about the image this club and its fans project, here in Scotland, as well as abroad. There`s also the perception that success in Europe further increases the gulf between Rangers (and Celtic) and every other Scottish club and that cannot be for the greater good of Scottish football.

It`s ironic that the EL final is once more in Seville, with a Glasgow club again making an appearance. And while the number of Celtic fans who made the trip in 2003 increases every time its mentioned, most commentators are agreed that these same fans were generally non violent and well behaved, even though they consumed a lot of alcohol during their stay.

I wish I could feel similarly optimistic about this year`s travelling supporters.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: LochgellyAlbert  
Date:   Sat 7 May 11:35

What amazes me is the number of Rangers players that bless themselves when entering the field of play.

But still their support sing the usual bile, perhaps if they built a chapeĺ inside Ibrox, like Barcelona have, it would cease?

I doubt it though!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 7 May 12:05

"As far as the football is concerned let`s not get into comparisons between the Lisbon Lions and the current Rangers team. European football is light ages away from what it was in 1967."

Reminds me of a few years back when I stumbled on to a "discussion" between fans of the Glasgow duo where a Rangers fan was adamant that their ECWC in Barcelona was a bigger achievement than Lisbon.

Some sniper of the opposite persuasion replied that Rangers had only played 7 games (two replays) to qualify as runners up from the previous season`s Scottish Cup - losing to Celtic in the replayed final.

In contrast Celtic had won 27 of the 34 league games played 1965-66 to qualify for the EC - and then won it at the first time of asking, whereas Rangers had taken the ECWC at their third attempt.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 7 May 12:15

While it is undoubtedly more difficult for a Scottish club to triumph in Europe these days than it was in decades past they can at least get mutilple bites of the European cherry now by dropping out of the champions league into the europa league and then europa conference.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: KnebworthPar  
Date:   Sat 7 May 12:43

They`re not a football club. Like the other mob they`re just an excuse for a hate mob. Hope they get royally humped.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 7 May 14:26

Most Rangers fans would enjoy a royal pumping.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 20 May 01:10

All the predictions on this thread of Rangers fans wrecking Seville seem to have come to nothing. Not one arrest I`m hearing.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 20 May 06:38

Quote:

Paralex, Fri 20 May 01:10

All the predictions on this thread of Rangers fans wrecking Seville seem to have come to nothing. Not one arrest I`m hearing.

I don`t know if that was aimed at me, Paralex, as I started a thread in which I posted my concern that a proportion of Rangers travelling support might tarnish Scottish football`s image. My fears were based on the behaviour we witnessed in previous final appearances by the Ibrox club in Barcelona and Manchester which saw running battles with the police and wanton destruction of property respectively. Thankfully they were generally well behaved in Seville, in spite of the massive disappointment they must have experienced at losing on pens.

Here`s what I posted on the other thread,

" I`m pleased my fears were unfounded and there weren`t too many arrests. Unfortunately, that would have reflected badly on the whole of Scotland rather than just Rangers, as foreign nationals would be unlikely to make any distinctions."

I`ve read reports claiming there were some arrests of fans of both teams and also of some English nationals - go figure? - but the numbers were relatively low, given the huge influx of fans for the game. An altogether better outcome than anyone could have hoped for. Perhaps the appeals of John Greig and Graeme Souness had the desired effect?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 20 May 11:31

Not particularly aimed at you GG, although I did detect that some others may have enjoyed some inverted pleasure if the "Billy Boys" had run riot in Seville and spoiled what seemed to be very good press for the multitude of Rangers fans and the profile of Scottish football. My main concern would be for the good name of Glasgow, whether it concerned Rangers, Celtic or a.n.other, since it has been my adopted home town since the 1960`s and I worked for the city Council for 25 years.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 20 May 18:28

What happened in Barcelona was due to Rangers fans not following the clues about not invading the pitch - the moat was the most obvious of these.

The Guarda Civil in Franco’s era were not known for an understanding attitude.
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net