DAFC.net
Home 30 September 2022 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 In an ideal world.....
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Tue 10 May 10:57

the manager of a football club would have an impressive array of skills in man management, tactical acumen, psychology etc. He would assemble a squad of talented footballers who all had a great attitude, worked hard and never knew when they were beaten. In addition, they would always put the needs of the team before their own and never behave in a way which would disrupt dressing room harmony. Furthermore, the manager would ensure that every player in his squad was happy, including those who weren`t regular starters.

Perhaps the only managers who come close to this ideal in these islands are Pep Guardiola and Jurgen Klopp. It`s an almost impossible remit, so they`re worth every penny of their considerable salaries.

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: In an ideal world.....
Topic Originator: vasco  
Date:   Tue 10 May 11:13

Sadly managers with those attributes don`t have to build and manage a team on the budget the Pars will have next season.
In an ideal world he or she wouldn`t be doing that one league below Cove Rangers..........

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: neils  
Date:   Tue 10 May 11:14

Helps if you are bankrolled by an actual country with appalling human rights record or by unspecified huge borrowing.

Bayern couldn`t wait for `Pep` to finish, awful possession based football and haemorrhaging money, I think that`s why `Poch` wasn`t on the radar- you need top, top players to play from the back.

I think lower league Scotland requires skills of its own, the recruitment has to be spot on, otherwise your stuffed. Every pounds a prisoner too, probably why the same names keep coming up

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Never10yairds  
Date:   Tue 10 May 11:18

You missed out Dick Campbell and Stewart Petrie there GG.

Post Edited (Tue 10 May 11:19)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: eastendalloapar  
Date:   Tue 10 May 11:27

I think that the late Jock Stein had those qualities.

matt forsyth
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parsmad68  
Date:   Tue 10 May 11:29

Quote:

GG Riva, Tue 10 May 10:57

the manager of a football club would have an impressive array of skills in man management, tactical acumen, psychology etc. He would assemble a squad of talented footballers who all had a great attitude, worked hard and never knew when they were beaten. In addition, they would always put the needs of the team before their own and never behave in a way which would disrupt dressing room harmony. Furthermore, the manager would ensure that every player in his squad was happy, including those who weren`t regular starters.

Perhaps the only managers who come close to this ideal in these islands are Pep Guardiola and Jurgen Klopp. It`s an almost impossible remit, so they`re worth every penny of their considerable salaries.

Great I have got this in the bag. I don’t even have to apply for the job as I have all those skills needed.
Oh wait……
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Gaz3822  
Date:   Tue 10 May 11:30

The type of manager we need is someone who will make the players run through brick walls for him. We`re not going the get the best tactician or the best coaches so we need a manager who will make the players feel 10 feet tall, players who would die for the guy. The difference this kind of manager makes to average footballers is huge.
This all makes them play with confidence and you undoubtedly get better results.

Now I`ve not seen this type if manager here since Leish or even Calderwood.

Speaking to an ex kelty player he said the best manager he played for was Tam Courts, a brilliant man manager who made you want to do well for.
It`s not so much the team these guys play for, unless you`re a supporter, they play for the manager. Same for Klopp, Ferguson, Pep and Dick Campbell.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: 1985Par  
Date:   Tue 10 May 11:53

Klopp worked his way up the managerial ladder. Think he did well with Mainz initially, taking an unfashionable club to new heights ( prepared to be corrected on this). He went on to turn Liverpool from top six also-rans into arguably the best team in the world. Pep, on the other hand, has always had the best resources to work with in terms of cash and players. Yes, it would be easy to waste the money but, as has been shown this week with Haaland, if he wants the best player in the world Abu Dhabi will buy him and put him on higher wages than any other footballer. These guys are also under no pressure in the transfer market. If it doesn`t work out then the wasted money isn`t going to concern the owners - there will be players languishing at the Etihad on huge wages most of us would struggle to name or recognise. I suppose it`s also difficult to be "unhappy" when you`re getting paid 100 grand a week to warm the bench.
I don`t get how you can be ranked " Best manager in the World" when each manager has a totally different deck of cards to play with. Who`s to say Pep would have kept Burnley in the league as long as Sean Dyche or won a cup double with St Johnstone? I`m not saying that Pep is not a good manager - he clearly is - just that coming top of the league when you have the deepest pockets in the league, doesn`t seem all that remarkable.

In terms of the Pars we need someone who can play a style of football that is suited to the league we are in, not La Liga, and sign players who can play this way, not Chalmers.

Dare i say we need a couple of hammer throwers.

Post Edited (Tue 10 May 11:58)
[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Tue 10 May 16:36

This thread was aimed at our current situation. I believe that this past season the club assembled a squad containing a significant number of players who weren`t easy to manage and that both PG and JH fell a bit short in trying to get the best out of them. Not their fault perhaps, although some managers do their homework very thoroughly and try to ensure that the players they sign will be an asset on and off the pitch.

"The type of manager we need is someone who will make the players run through brick walls for him. We`re not going the get the best tactician or the best coaches so we need a manager who will make the players feel 10 feet tall, players who would die for the guy. The difference this kind of manager makes to average footballers is huge.
This all makes them play with confidence and you undoubtedly get better results"

You`ve just described Jock Stein`s attributes to a tee, Gaz. 😀

I should add that I used Pep and Klopp as examples because they`re the best around in this country. Yes they`re bankrolled to the hilt, but they would be relatively successful at a smaller club like ours. Either would get us promoted to the Premiership - maybe top 6 - but they wouldn`t be able to finish above Celtic and Rangers because the gulf in resources is too great.

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: neils  
Date:   Tue 10 May 16:51

1985 bang on, that`s why Ian McCall is so good at our level, his recruitment is bang on, and to a substantial degree has made average players, washed up even, good players

At a higher level, when other wider factors are at play, no.

Klopp is clearly outstanding, and `Pep` for all I know might be, but as above the parameters are not the same, that possession based football died with his Bayern team were obliterated by Real at home (73% possession Bayern if that floats your boat)

For me it`s not football being bankrolled by these people, then playing in such a dreary style despite having the cream of the crop. Better at Man C, but the money still applies.

Give me the real Davy Moyes kicking the crap out of the Stenhousemuir centre forward any day of the week!

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: The Boss  
Date:   Tue 10 May 17:55

It’s about hitting it at the right time. All this about trying to build for the future is rubbish in my opinion. It’s about getting in someone who can get the best out of limited players to win promotion. Once you’re there you can then attract better players etc. You just have to look at Livingston for example.

They brought in a guy who got the best out of a group of players and won them back to back promotions. They haven’t looked back. They had limited resources and a small fan base. They weren’t messing about with 5 year plans.

I like black and white (dreaming of black and white)
You like black and white
Run run away
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Tue 10 May 18:25

I do agree that the priority at any football club should be getting a winning team on the park now and all the other ambitions should be secondary to that.

[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net