DAFC.net
Home 02 July 2022 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 New Players
Topic Originator: incognito  
Date:   Sun 15 May 13:55

Having time to reflect on what has been an abysmal season and coming to terms that we have actually been relegated I`ve been thinking of a realistic squad for next season and how many players we need and who we could genuinely attract and keep for league 1.

GK
Mehmet still has one season left so I wouldn`t be rushing out to replace him. 1 GK for cover. (Cammy Gill?)

Full backs
Comrie and Todd shouldn`t be difficult to keep, hopefully Martin can get fit, Edwards however is too good for league 1. 2 new FBs needed.

Centre Backs
No chance of keeping Coll for league 1, Ambrose just isnt good enough for any level. 3/4 CB`s needed.

Centre Mids
Pybus would do a turn in league 1 and should be easy enough to keep, Allan good be useful, Polwarth honking, Chalmers honking, Cole seemed decent so I`d be happy keeping him if possible & Doran`s hasn`t hit the heights we`d hoped plus is on a huge wage so hopefully we can release him without costs. 3 centre mids needed.

Wingers
Dow good enough for league one and easily retainable, Lawless far too good for league one so doubt we could keep him, DT obviously gone already, Kamwa looked decent in his short stints but doubt he`ll want to stay to sit on the bench another season. 2/3 wingers needed.

Forwards
O`hara too good for league but may be difficult to keep but im hopeful, Todarov good enough when given a chance but doubtful he will want drop to league 1. McCann under contract and id be happy with him in league 1 so depending on who we can keep we may need 1 or 2 strikers.

Jones & Breen we havent seen enough to have an opinion.

Mehmet

Comrie
Todd
Martin

Pybus
Alan
Cole
Dow

Ohara
McCann

Who would be realistic to add to the squad?

"Did you see what happened to the magic car?

It turned into a street!"
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: New Players
Topic Originator: da_no_1  
Date:   Sun 15 May 14:03

I don`t think any of our players are "too good for league one" to be honest

"Some days will stay a 1000 years, some pass like the flash of a spark"
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Berkey  
Date:   Sun 15 May 14:09

For me it’s dependant on whether yogi stays or not.

Cole will be away if yogi is still here as he hasn’t given him a chance. You haven’t mentioned wighton either. A new manager could hopefully get us set up to take advantage of what is a good forward line for that league while yogi will try and force toddy and wighton out the door. Do I think McCann will do much damage in league 1? No.

Hopefully dorrans retires or leaves. I’m not convinced Dow has anything left to contribute for us, he wasn’t just poor last season he was non existent and I fancy the drop down won’t change that, we’ll need better on the wings to help create chances. Would be nice to have some pace in the team for a chance.

Thought Martin looked well off the pace and very hesitant against Queen’s Park, unless it’s a versatile squad player he’s not a starter for me and with injuries it’s unreliable. We don’t owe him a living. Comrie looked a shadow of his former self, again maybe a new manager can reinvigorate some of these guys.

With our budget we should be able to keep a couple of these guys like Coll for league 1 unless we really are goosed by those earning good money and have a contract into this season.

Things will be looking up……..now yogi is gone!

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: dd23  
Date:   Sun 15 May 14:18

This was mccanns first season as a regular starter and he’s great at winning the ball and holding it up. I think he’s the type of forward we need and think he will really kick in next season, hopefully with a good amount of goals which is the part of his play he needs to improve on.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 15 May 14:31

Guess that depends on the manager and how we are set up.

I didn’t see any evidence that mccann was ‘great’ at holding the ball up and in the air. I saw a big strapping guy putting a shift in menacing defenders but then really struggled when he actually had the ball and control was very much suspect.

There’s numerous aspects of his game he needs to work on. Could do with an experienced intelligent fellow striker up alongside him to talk him through games and bring him on a bit. Workrate and being a decent size does not a football player make.

If yogi stays and he can offload toddy and wighton I fancy he’ll get plenty chances next season tho.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: incognito  
Date:   Sun 15 May 15:18

Id be astounded if no teams from the championship wanted Donaldson. IF we could some how keep him i think O`brian at Arbroath would be an outstanding parter he has looked really good when ive seen him and although the lost the play offs i thought he was superb and could carry the ball really well!

"Did you see what happened to the magic car?

It turned into a street!"
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: RossF  
Date:   Sun 15 May 16:04

I`d love to see us bring back Callum Smith and get Dylan Easton. We will desperately need a number of centre midfielders and defenders also. It will be interesting to see how many players we bring in.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: AJ27  
Date:   Sun 15 May 16:12

If O’Hara and Lawless are too good for league 1 what happened to them in the play off? We don’t have any players too good for the league - and please don’t bring back Calum Smith or Cammy Gill.

Andy J
[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: hudza  
Date:   Sun 15 May 16:13

That team in the first post is honking and would be lucky to be mid table.
Edwards and Lawless too good for league one? Both are rank.

Can literally punt the lot and start again

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Sun 15 May 16:23

How much would that cost?

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Lucho_8  
Date:   Sun 15 May 16:23

I’d only be interested in keeping edwards, pybas & comrie/Todd

And even at that i wouldn’t be fussed.
None of our team is too good for L1.

They rest can get tae
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Row_ZZ  
Date:   Sun 15 May 16:36

None of these players are “too good” for League 1. They wouldn’t got relegated if that was the case.

I think there is a player in guys like Lawless, Pybus etc but it hasn’t worked out and I think we are better with getting a fresh start and getting rid of a lot of our signed up players as well. Breen, Mehmet, Todorov, Chalmers, Dorrans. Get rid of them and start afresh. It’s like a bad smell. You just want a complete clean slate for a new era. Won’t matter a feck if Hughes is still there, right enough.

I Know There's Gonna Be (Good Times)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Paralex  
Date:   Sun 15 May 16:42

Agreed Lawless and O`Hara are certainly not too good for league one. Neither have had a goal threat and I very much doubt that either will set the heather alight in league one. If we can get a tenner to sell wee Kevin, I`d take it. Diminutive centre forwards need to be extra special to make up for lack of height and strength and Kevin O`Hara just doesn`t have what it takes. He must be one of the most frustrating players ever to pull on the strip.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: LochgellyAlbert  
Date:   Sun 15 May 17:24

Yeah, glad we got rid of haddies like Ross Graham!🤔🤣🤣🤣
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parsfan97  
Date:   Sun 15 May 17:34

I’ve seen enough of breen and jones to know they wouldn’t get a game at junior level they are both rotten

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 15 May 17:40

There were a few ex-Pars players involved in the play-off matches between Airdrie and QP. Were they any better than what we have now? Most of them left with little complaint from Pars` fans. I think most of our players would give a good account of themselves in League 1 but we need to foster that team spirit Ivo was talking about that we had when Bert and Dick were in charge. Maybe a couple of key signings could spark things off.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Parsweep  
Date:   Sun 15 May 18:11

Quote:

wee eck, Sun 15 May 17:40

There were a few ex-Pars players involved in the play-off matches between Airdrie and QP. Were they any better than what we have now? Most of them left with little complaint from Pars` fans. I think most of our players would give a good account of themselves in League 1 but we need to foster that team spirit Ivo was talking about that we had when Bert and Dick were in charge. Maybe a couple of key signings could spark things off.

They must have been better than what we have now Eck .
They went to the final , we went out with a whimper .

Bobvo
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 15 May 18:17

Would you welcome any of them back? I quite liked Rhys McCabe but he didn`t do enough running about for some. From what I saw this week none are any better than they were when they left us.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Bamba-Daft  
Date:   Sun 15 May 18:33

“Too good for league 1” surely at it. Don’t think a single one of our players are too good for league 1, especially if we want to come straight back up.
Edwards has certainly improved from when he first signed.. but he’s a bottom end of the championship full back. Can’t see lawless tearing up league 1, too slow. If these guys can’t be arsed in the championship why would any of them bother for an away game at Peterhead or Edinburgh city? Clear the lot out.

Post Edited (Sun 15 May 18:36)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Indiapar  
Date:   Sun 15 May 18:56

Quote:

AJ27, Sun 15 May 16:12

If O’Hara and Lawless are too good for league 1 what happened to them in the play off? We don’t have any players too good for the league - and please don’t bring back Calum Smith or Cammy Gill.

Yes I have to agree with this. By definition being relegated doesn`t make any of our players or management team better than League 1. We have demonstrated we are not good enough for tge championship. I wouldn`t underestimate the challenge this league will be.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Parsweep  
Date:   Sun 15 May 19:02

Quote:

wee eck, Sun 15 May 18:17

Would you welcome any of them back? I quite liked Rhys McCabe but he didn`t do enough running about for some. From what I saw this week none are any better than they were when they left us.

If any of them were back and giving 100% , they would have been an improvement on some of those players that pulled a Pars Jersey on towards the end of that season .

Bobvo
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 15 May 20:22

If all that was required was more effort our problems would be relatively easy to fix.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 15 May 22:10

Quote:

wee eck, Sun 15 May 20:22

If all that was required was more effort our problems would be relatively easy to fix.

Not just more effort.......100% mind! Nothing less!

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Never10yairds  
Date:   Mon 16 May 08:55

Keep Pybus, Todd, edwards, comrie, McCann, Wighton, todorov, Donaldson and ohara if they want to be here. I think that’s it. I’d probably bin the rest.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: desparado  
Date:   Mon 16 May 09:39

Topic Originator: Never10yairds like
Date: Mon 16 May 08:55

Keep Pybus, Todd, edwards, comrie, McCann, Wighton, todorov, Donaldson and ohara if they want to be here. I think that’s it. I’d probably bin the rest.

I would bin Wighton as he is a lazy sod.

Add Fenton and Alan to the keep list.

Post Edited (Mon 16 May 09:40)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 16 May 09:58

Don`t think the Bunnet would tolerate a "lazy sod"

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: RMGpar  
Date:   Mon 16 May 10:02

Wighton and Ohara don`t want to be here, would expect both to leave

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Row_ZZ  
Date:   Mon 16 May 10:04

Can`t imagine much of the players want to be here. Wighton will be away, as will Todorov. Maybe be able to keep O`Hara, but Todorov and Wighton will 100% be offski. They signed up for a team in Championship challenging for titles, not playing utter guff like Clyde and Peterhead.

I Know There's Gonna Be (Good Times)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 16 May 10:16

Aren`t O`Hara, Wighton and Todorov all under contract for another season? Will anyone be prepared to pay a fee for them and offer them terms at least as good as what they`re on with us? Or should we just release them from their contracts knowing we`ll then have to replace three strikers?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 16 May 10:20

Eck stop posting facts. This is the whacky world of .net remember

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: CAPar  
Date:   Mon 16 May 10:39

Maybe the club will be telling some of these players that they`re not in our plans, we have to cut costs and if they can find a similar/better deal elsewhere, they`re free to leave?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: desparado  
Date:   Mon 16 May 10:45

Topic Originator: da_no_1 like
Date: Mon 16 May 09:58

Was surprised the Bunnet signed him tbh.

He picked up an injury not long after joining them that was impairing his mobility.

A splinter warming their bench.........

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: CrossPar  
Date:   Mon 16 May 10:49

Quote:

da_no_1, Mon 16 May 09:58

Probably why he can`t make their starting 11.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Raymie the Legend  
Date:   Mon 16 May 10:52

Wighton has had plenty chances. There’s a reason that he can’t hold down a place at the clubs he’s been at, perhaps ?

It's bloody tough being a legend
Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 16 May 10:58

Quote:

CrossPar, Mon 16 May 10:49

Quote:

da_no_1, Mon 16 May 09:58

Probably why he can`t make their starting 11.

Bollocks

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 16 May 11:09

Wighton had already been on loan at Arbroath while he was at Hearts so Dick would know exactly what he was getting. He seems to like to rotate his strikers with Jack Hamilton the only regular starter. In fact, don`t Arbroath quite often play with only one striker?!!!

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 16 May 11:14

Wee eck I’m sure you’d argue with your shadow if you could

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: king lad  
Date:   Mon 16 May 11:24

I`d be inclined to keep some attackers should they wish to remain here, I don`t think for the most part they were the problem. The shambles of a midfield and the system they played in meant they were never going to score a bucket load.

If Todorov/Wighton/O’Hara don`t want to be here (as with any under contract player), see if you can mutually terminate their contract or move them on if they are that desperate to go. Need fully committed players next season, not guys dragging their heels.

Easier said than done of course, but you`d hope the Club will release an update pretty soon on the manager/players situation as most other clubs have done in the last week. Then we can start to look at how next season`s squad will shape up after contracts expire at the end of the month. I just hope we can see some exciting attacking football that produces lots of goals and entertains the fans again, something that`s been missing for the last few seasons.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 16 May 11:40

I prefer to see it as a discussion rather than an argument, parsfan97. Isn`t that what the close season`s for? At some point we`re going to have to put all the recriminations behind us and face the future challenges. king lad sums it all up pretty accurately I think.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 16 May 11:46

Having loads of question marks and exclamation marks just make it look a bit daft for a discussion. Arbroath could play one up front and it worked was because they had a midfield that could support it, we never. Too slow and pedestrian from us, which was an issue all season. Times we tried to bypass the midfield when yogi ditched his ‘philosophy’ and played hoofball at firhill was pathetic. Junior teams could’ve put a better performance on that day. I’d say we need a complete clear out as much as possible as something is very rotten at EEP the now

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 16 May 12:09

I agree with you. I thought Polworth was going to be the missing link in making `one up top` work but for me he was the most disappointing of the January signings. After beating Ayr we threw away the initiative with the team selection and tactics at Firhill. Three at the back was bad enough but why drop Todd for Comrie when Yogi had said Todd offered better attacking options when he moved him to right back at Comrie`s expense?

I`ll try to improve my punctuation.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: ParfectXI  
Date:   Mon 16 May 12:20

It all depends on who the manager is next season- if Yogis gonna be here then all the talk of who to keep and not to keep goes out the window. He has his favourites so those not on the inside with him will clearly be moved on whether they have a contract for next season or not. And then there’s the players that want to play for him, that’s a different story to those that would otherwise be happy to play for the club.

It’s quite a well known fact that he’s a very divisive figure with a good number of players from around the clubs that have no time for him.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 16 May 12:22

I agree with that too. Comrie an absolute shadow of the player he was, and not fussed if he stays as Todd has been by far better option this season. With the players that are signed up it doesn’t fill me with confidence

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Never10yairds  
Date:   Mon 16 May 12:31

I think Wighton could be good in league one if paired with Todorov or McCann and a functioning team playing behind them.

Who wants to stay will largely depend on who our manager is. Can’t imagine Todorov or Wighton to want to stay under Yogi. There are probably others you can add to that list too.

Want to see us get away from this million passes possession game. I’ve never been a huge fan and it doesn’t work unless you have the right players. In league one I’d like to see us get the ball forward quickly, be that with ball at feet driving forward or route one to 2 big strikers with midfield support to pick up second balls.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wulliepar57  
Date:   Mon 16 May 13:01

We can all talk about this that and the next thing regarding players
but everything at present is only supposition and what we would like to see happen ( do not think we will be consulted on this though) LOL
But from the evidence I have seen this season disregard PG (total disaster)
As for JH I do not think even if we have the best players in league 1 at our disposal he will not get the tactics right !! or get the best out of anyone he is a total dinosaur and for me the biggest problem was JH , team selection and formation only on the odd occasion did i see a glimpse of what we could have done in the championship
For me till the Board give us facts this week I will wait and see what decisions they take and see who is actually away /staying then I will decide what I am going to do on a Saturday afternoon , I have no problems getting beat if I see effort from the manager to change things and players putting the effort in but in far too many games they were only going through the motions
Sad times just now

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Mon 16 May 13:15

All the ones described as being "off" are under contract for next season. Someone would need to sign them and we could demand a fee.

Whilst I expect our aim for next season is promotion, I hope we can bring in some longer-term players and only use loans where essential. It`s a competitive league, but are there "good enough" youth players we could make better use of?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: eastendalloapar  
Date:   Mon 16 May 13:18

Personally I would keep Lewis Martin. He has managed to get himself fit after a serious injury. He has experious and can play in more positions than most. Perhaps if he had been played more we might have avoided relegation. Yes I know that his first game back was a 5 - 0 from Morton but he was not the only player responsible that day.

matt forsyth
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Ladswell_Thistle  
Date:   Mon 16 May 14:41

Thought Martin had started picking up his form when he got dropped for Efe.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Bannockburn Par  
Date:   Mon 16 May 14:45

Quote:

Ladswell_Thistle, Mon 16 May 14:41

Thought Martin had started picking up his form when he got dropped for Efe.

A fit Martin with a full pre-season under his belt is a no brainer. Hoping he stays for next season.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: BigCheese  
Date:   Mon 16 May 17:11

If they aren’t good enough to keep us in the championship then they aren’t good enough to bring us back up! Bin them all I say.

Big Cheese
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 16 May 19:10

Martin has a very poor injury record, if he’s cheap as a squad player then maybe but we should not be going into the season relying on him as one of our first choice CB’s.

To think yogi though Ambrose could do a job for us! Maybe we could play chalmers at the back so there more chance of him playing a forward pass.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: TAFKA_Super_Petrie  
Date:   Mon 16 May 19:18

Don`t think folk being under contract would stop them moving on if they are that far out of the picture, mutually beneficial for everyone and frees up a wage.

Pretty clear JH doesn`t rate Todorov so from those under contract i`d expect him and McDonald to move on.

---------------------------------------------------------------

"People always talk about Ronaldinho and magic, but I didn't see him today. I saw Henrik Larsson; that's where the magic was."
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: AlterPar  
Date:   Mon 16 May 19:23

Todorov is a very effective player if used correctly. Play to his strengths and he will score quite a few goals. Unfortunately suspect he will want to move on. Partick wouldn’t surprise me as a replacement for the ageing Graham.

Post Edited (Mon 16 May 19:24)
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net