DAFC.net
Home 06 July 2022 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Welcome to EEP James Mcpake
Topic Originator: RMGpar  
Date:   Tue 24 May 17:07

Appointed first team MANAGER...

Lets get right behind him, the rebuild starts NOW

[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Welcome to EEP James Mcpake
Topic Originator: KnebworthPar  
Date:   Tue 24 May 18:01

I`ll second that RMG. Hope he can kickstart a reset at East End. Welcome and as I said in a previous post let`s `give it laldy` in this league!!

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Beeches Par  
Date:   Tue 24 May 18:04

Young manager still making his way in the game. Let us get behind him and give the guy a chance.

David G McLean
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: RMGpar  
Date:   Tue 24 May 18:05

He is also very well connected in the game, Will be interesting to see who can attract to both his backroom and playing team

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Tue 24 May 18:07

There was an interesting comment on another thread about some poor attitudes within the squad. A fair chunk of last season`s squad will likely be away but I imagine there may be some troublemakers still present. What`s McPake like? Will he give anyone not playing ball a swift kick in the goolies?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Tue 24 May 18:11

He got rid of Jason Cummings after he broke club rules by attending a show didn`t he?

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: SeasonedPar  
Date:   Tue 24 May 18:37

Welcome to the Pars. We need to get right behind our new manager and build momentum for the challenge of getting back up the leagues.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: neils  
Date:   Tue 24 May 18:44

Good stuff, he will have a whole preseason together with the new guys to be prepared.

Good luck, here we go.

[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: Rigger Al  
Date:   Tue 24 May 18:57

Welcome to EEP
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Tue 24 May 19:07

Welcome James to EEP .. Hope all works out for you .. a big job ahead .. Be your own man and go for it

We are forever shaped by the Children we once were
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Bannockburn Par  
Date:   Tue 24 May 19:08

Welcome James. New manager will need time to gut the squad and rebuild. Patience will be key if we are to rebuild and get promoted.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DBP  
Date:   Tue 24 May 19:34

Welcome to the pars and looking forward to an exciting season ahead

Good luck and COYP!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Rusty Shackleford  
Date:   Tue 24 May 19:55

He`s certainly more likeable and grounded than Hughes and Grant. The only thing that matters of course is how we end up performing but let`s get behind him and hopefully onwards and upwards.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Tue 24 May 19:56

Quote:

jake89, Tue 24 May 18:07

There was an interesting comment on another thread about some poor attitudes within the squad. A fair chunk of last season`s squad will likely be away but I imagine there may be some troublemakers still present. What`s McPake like? Will he give anyone not playing ball a swift kick in the goolies?

I think that was my post you`re alluding to, Jake. There can be little doubt that there`s more chance of success when the manager and his squad are all pulling in the same direction. Unfortunately, in any walk of life you`ll get bawheids and football is no exception. I am of the opinion that this past season has sadly seen a significant number of players with a p*** poor attitude, which was not helped by the intransigence of both PG and JH. The latter compounded this with an arrogance which alienated a number of players, which meant that they did not perform to their true potential. Obviously, I was not in the dressing room at any time, but there have been enough leaks and plenty of clues to suggest that all was not well and our eventual relegation should not have come as a total shock.

I`m sure James McPake will be fully briefed and will be unlikely to repeat the mistakes of his predecessors.

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Grant  
Date:   Tue 24 May 22:44

Quote:

Rusty Shackleford, Tue 24 May 19:55

He`s certainly more likeable and grounded than Hughes and Grant. The only thing that matters of course is how we end up performing but let`s get behind him and hopefully onwards and upwards.

I might be mis remembering but were Hughes and Grant not liked in the immediate aftermath of there signing? The grant appointment was laughed at but there was plenty on here who enjoyed his initial interviews.
Likewise Hughes came across well with his plate of confidence nonsense, followed by showing up well at the meet the managers night.

I don`t think either were unlikeable, they just weren`t very good football managers for us.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 24 May 22:59

Quote:

Grant, Tue 24 May 22:44

Quote:

Rusty Shackleford, Tue 24 May 19:55

I might be mis remembering but were Hughes and Grant not liked in the immediate aftermath of there signing? The grant appointment was laughed at but there was plenty on here who enjoyed his initial interviews.
Likewise Hughes came across well with his plate of confidence nonsense, followed by showing up well at the meet the managers night.

I don`t think either were unlikeable, they just weren`t very good football managers for us.

To me, he`s clearly a more likeable individual from what I`ve seen. I thought Grant and Hughes were full of nonsense but was prepared to give them a chance. Just my view on a personal basis and who I`d like to work with/for more.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: twin par  
Date:   Tue 24 May 23:08

All the very best to him.Hope he does well,and gets us back to a position, our support deserves.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: fly boy  
Date:   Tue 24 May 23:11

Not a great endorsement from my Dundee supporting mate. My real concern is he said McPake regularly played one man up front. I could not stand another season of watching that sort of football.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: twin par  
Date:   Tue 24 May 23:22

Anyone who disagrees with this appointment, needs to understand, that we are not a rich club,and our choices are limited. Get real.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: PARadise  
Date:   Tue 24 May 23:24

Quote:

fly boy, Tue 24 May 23:11

Not a great endorsement from my Dundee supporting mate. My real concern is he said McPake regularly played one man up front. I could not stand another season of watching that sort of football.

This. Played majority of games with one up top with a striking compliment of Griffiths Cummings and Mullen. If this goes t1ts up it will be the same old shouts of “he only plays one up” “ signed a manager who relegated a team previous”

Good luck to him
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Gaz3822  
Date:   Tue 24 May 23:59

Heard someone else say the same thing re 1 upfront, and for a defender himself his team couldn`t defend.

He`ll fit in great here then lol.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: tappies par  
Date:   Wed 25 May 05:14

This might be a crazy suggestion but why not try to get the fans onboard and get their input. Why not have a final shortlist of 3 potential managers and allow the fans to vote for our preference? Raith advertised the job vacancy and invited applications. Do we think we are too big a club to go with that approach? For me advertise the job and give the fans the choice. Why not be a little bit different from the norm that way we have no one to blame if it doesn’t work out. Hopefully more season ticket sales meaning more of a budget for better players.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 25 May 07:26

Quote:

tappies par, Wed 25 May 05:14

This might be a crazy suggestion but why not try to get the fans onboard and get their input. Why not have a final shortlist of 3 potential managers and allow the fans to vote for our preference? Raith advertised the job vacancy and invited applications. Do we think we are too big a club to go with that approach? For me advertise the job and give the fans the choice. Why not be a little bit different from the norm that way we have no one to blame if it doesn’t work out. Hopefully more season ticket sales meaning more of a budget for better players.

This has to be a wind up, right? Let the fans pick the manager? Based on what, exactly? Presumably, we wouldn`t be involved in an interview process, so we`d have to go on his managerial record if he had one, win ratios, whether he was any good as a player, who he played for, what team he supported as a boy and other similar useful information........

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Beeches Par  
Date:   Wed 25 May 07:38

Quote:

You are right. Crazy suggestion

David G McLean
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: par-91  
Date:   Wed 25 May 08:06

What is the obsession with 1 up front here? Man City, Liverpool and many of the top clubs play with one striker. Are their tactics negative/boring? No.

The issue we had under Hughes was that the striker was so isolated, got no support from his teammates and if he came deep/wide for the ball, nobody then ‘covered’ for him and went into the box. We also just didn’t have a striker capable of being effective as a lone striker.

If you have the right set up alongside/behind a lone striker, it can be a very attack-minded and entertaining system. But, for some reason, we have fans that are convinced that playing a lone striker is the worst thing you can do.

Then again, we also now have someone suggesting the fans should get a say in the appointment of a new manager, so I’m not sure I should take anything seriously on here.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: da_no_1  
Date:   Wed 25 May 08:28

Exactly

Team selection by committee next

Mental stuff

"Some days will stay a 1000 years, some pass like the flash of a spark"
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 25 May 08:41

Quote:

par-91, Wed 25 May 08:06

What is the obsession with 1 up front here? Man City, Liverpool and many of the top clubs play with one striker. Are their tactics negative/boring? No.

The issue we had under Hughes was that the striker was so isolated, got no support from his teammates and if he came deep/wide for the ball, nobody then ‘covered’ for him and went into the box. We also just didn’t have a striker capable of being effective as a lone striker.

If you have the right set up alongside/behind a lone striker, it can be a very attack-minded and entertaining system. But, for some reason, we have fans that are convinced that playing a lone striker is the worst thing you can do.

Then again, we also now have someone suggesting the fans should get a say in the appointment of a new manager, so I’m not sure I should take anything seriously on here.

Good post, 91.

Playing with a lone striker depends on 2 factors:-

1. The striker has to be good at winning, holding up and laying off the ball.
2. His midfield must be able to get forward quickly to support him.

Parma used it very effectively under Nevio Scala with Tino Asprilla as the lone striker. He was never as effective playing for Newcastle. I think they played with 2 up.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Grant  
Date:   Wed 25 May 09:15

Quote:

par-91, Wed 25 May 08:06

Craig Levein was absolutely pilloried for his 460, Barcelona less so.

As with all things tactics related in football its dependent on the personal, the style, and how effectively they`ve been coached to know there role.

The 3/5 at the back under Peter Grant absolutely could`ve worked, however in my opinion we had the personal, however we fell well short in how we wanted the players to play the system, and it looked like the players didn`t know there role within the system.

I won`t at all be perturbed if McPake plays one up front, or two upfront which he also played in the Championship. Just get the right players for whatever he wants to play and win football games eh? Simple.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: desparado  
Date:   Wed 25 May 09:32

Crawford played " two up front " Nisbet and O`Hara. When we did not have the ball O`Hara dropped deep to give us a 5 in midfield.

Formations mean nothing really as it is not set in stone.

As others have said it is getting the right blend of players playing the way the manager wants them to.

Success on the field depends on many things. Quality of player obviously but team spirit, togetherness, no bad apples in the group, determination, fitness, connection with the fans etc etc.

Bertie Paton`s team were never blessed with an abundance of skillful players but by goodness they had other attributes in bucket loads.

As another poster said when Jock Stein got the job, many fans would have said ..who ?

Leishman ? Seriously ?

Even Bert Paton`s appointment at the time did not " excite " the fans.

Three of the best managers we ever had.

I remember Paton`s team losing the first three games of the season once in the Championship and I was thinking wtf ? We then went on a 20 something unbeaten run.

McPake is in the seat so lets see what he can do.

I for one do not expect to win the league. I hope so, but I have a feleing it make take two attempts to get back up.

If JM is still at the wheel when we get back into the Championship, with the winning feeling back ,momentum ( upward ) who knows where we will be in three/four years time.

Livi ,Raith, Partick all came up from the Seaside league and have done well.

Keep the faith.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: par-91  
Date:   Wed 25 May 09:55

Quote:

desparado, Wed 25 May 09:32

Crawford played " two up front " Nisbet and O`Hara. When we did not have the ball O`Hara dropped deep to give us a 5 in midfield.

Nisbet and O’Hara were never here at the same time… in 19/20 though, Crawford did seem to switch between 2 up front and a 4-2-3-1 system. He struggled to find a partner for Nisbet though. Often playing Kiltie there in the first half of the season, who kept drifting into the more natural number 10 role. McGill, Ryan and Afolabi all partnered him too.

In 20-21 Crawford Played the 4-2-3-1 system more often than not. But I agree that the player in behind the striker was always up supporting the striker when we had the ball. Towards the end of the season, he returned to a 4-4-2 when he played Wighton and O’Hara together for a few games, with O’Hara tracking back/dropping deeper when required. I don’t know if that’s where you’re getting confused?

As I say, the system of 3 at the back or 1 up front is only an issue when roles aren’t clear, or personnel aren’t capable of playing that way.

The issue with Grant’s system was the way he used his wing backs. They seemed to be instructed to charge forward to play as wingers when we got the ball. In principle, that’s not an issue. However no midfielders seemed to think it was their role to cover the wide areas defensively. This left Graham and Comrie having to play CB, marking a striker, and full back, marking a winger, at the same time when we lost the ball. They were responsible for stopping crosses and defending crosses in the box, which was just crazy and why both were so poor in that system. Didn’t take long for every opponent to get the ball wide quickly, knowing this would leave us all over the place defensively, since nobody seemed to believe it was their job to defend the wide areas/cover for the wing backs who had charged forward.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 25 May 10:44

Quote:

I have to say that the first six words of this post are up there with the most insightful I`ve ever read!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: desparado  
Date:   Wed 25 May 11:41

Topic Originator: par-91 like
Date: Wed 25 May 09:55

Quote:

desparado, Wed 25 May 09:32

Nisbet and O’Hara were never here at the same time…

Indeed my bad..........the last two/three seasons have been a fog......

[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net