DAFC.net
Home 01 December 2022 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Who`s left?.
Topic Originator: kba  
Date:   Fri 27 May 21:18

Which players are.left after the clear out?
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Who`s left?.
Topic Originator: dpard  
Date:   Fri 27 May 21:23

Mehmet
Comrie
Edwards
McDonald
Breen
Fenton
Chalmers
Dorrans
Allan
Todd
McCann
Wighton
Todorov
O`Hara

The flame still burns
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 27 May 21:31

Cheers dpard

Still three or four I would like to punt in that list.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: cfad  
Date:   Fri 27 May 21:48

We’d better get signing
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Berkey  
Date:   Fri 27 May 21:52

Just 3 or 4 kba? All bar a couple will be free to leave, infact all might be free to leave for the next few weeks if they want.

Things will be looking up……..now yogi is gone!

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 27 May 22:08

Quote:

Berkey, Fri 27 May 21:52

Just 3 or 4 kba? All bar a couple will be free to leave, infact all might be free to leave for the next few weeks if they want.

Mehmet, breen, Chalmers and dorrans would be away if it was me. I would give the strikers a chance .
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Bannockburn Par  
Date:   Fri 27 May 22:18

Totally agree, complete waste of valuable wages the lot of them. I wonder who has been told they can leave from that lot.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: KnebworthPar  
Date:   Fri 27 May 22:33

Who’s left? Too many!

[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Fri 27 May 23:47

Quote:

kba, Fri 27 May 22:08

Quote:

Mehmet, breen, Chalmers and dorrans would be away if it was me. I would give the strikers a chance .

Sadly, some eejit signed them on 2 year contracts.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Parsfangaz  
Date:   Sat 28 May 01:08

Quote:

kba, Fri 27 May 21:31

Cheers dpard

Still three or four I would like to punt in that list.

5 or 6
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: bannerpar  
Date:   Sat 28 May 15:34

That must have been a disappointing season for Rhys Breen. Missed pre-season then Covid and other injuries. Only managed intermittent games and didn`t do well enough to keep his place in an underperforming team. I thought he looked decent in bits though and wonder what he might be like in different circumstances. With McPake having been a centre back himself hopefully he should be able to suss Breen out quite quickly and see if he is development material or whether to go for a completely new central defence pairing.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: red-star-par  
Date:   Sat 28 May 15:53

Yeah, Breen seemed to do okay at QoTSA, not a great season for him last year, but he is still young, so maybe he can kick on again. Thats the basis of a good squad I would say but it needs to right characters to be added to it. Need a fair few decent solid pros that can put in a good shift and also have the right mental attributes. I`m talking about some guys that are winners and aren`t going to let the shirkers in that squad go into hiding. Ian Ferguson types
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Lambo1885  
Date:   Sat 28 May 16:17

Quote:

kba, Fri 27 May 22:08

Quote:

I think Breen and Mehmet would be decent at this level.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: neils  
Date:   Sat 28 May 17:30

Mehmet was horrendous early season under Grant, but what was in front of him was a horror story.

When he came in later was decent, so as he is signed up for another year, might well be not far from being our first choice.

We have no issues whatsoever with our front players, McPake will know he needs pretty much an entire midfield etc.

Sorry to see Pybus go, but really it`s understandable for the manager to have a right good shake of the rug, clear out as much as possible, then he will have a better idea of budget.

Wouldn`t worry me one bit if in 2 weeks we only have the bare bones.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 28 May 19:42

If he doesn’t leave we might as well start with mehmet in goals.

But he’s another one of those we hope gets a move away on a free, if none of our contracted players leave/retire then the budget will be really hampered for next year.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: thebear  
Date:   Sun 29 May 00:33

nah last season strikers were dire, bin them all and start again
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: 13en  
Date:   Sun 29 May 02:41

Quote:

bannerpar, Sat 28 May 15:34

That must have been a disappointing season for Rhys Breen. Missed pre-season then Covid and other injuries. Only managed intermittent games and didn`t do well enough to keep his place in an underperforming team. I thought he looked decent in bits though and wonder what he might be like in different circumstances. With McPake having been a centre back himself hopefully he should be able to suss Breen out quite quickly and see if he is development material or whether to go for a completely new central defence pairing.

Hughes was a centre half too and didn’t rate him, I’d be happy to see him go as well
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Sun 29 May 06:26

Quote:

13en, Sun 29 May 02:41

Quote:

Hughes was a centre half too and didn’t rate him, I’d be happy to see him go as well

It wouldn`t take long to list the players Hughes did rate - other than the ones he signed, probably zilch. The real issue was that he had no qualms about telling those he didn`t rate exactly what he thought of them, but he had to play some of them every week.

Therein lies the reason we were relegated.....

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Milos Drizzle  
Date:   Sun 29 May 09:16

Quote:

GG Riva, Sun 29 May 06:26

Quote:

13en, Sun 29 May 02:41

Quote:

It wouldn`t take long to list the players Hughes did rate - other than the ones he signed, probably zilch. The real issue was that he had no qualms about telling those he didn`t rate exactly what he thought of them, but he had to play some of them every week.

Therein lies the reason we were relegated.....

If that was the case, GG, then that’s brutal man-management and incompetence from Hughes - completely undermined the goal of his tenure.

This is my signature
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Never10yairds  
Date:   Sun 29 May 10:12

Is that right enough GG? Hughes told them they weren’t up to it? I mean he wasn’t wrong, Grant left a squad of absolute garbage (despite the nonsense some said on here about it being a good squad).

If your the manager though, you can’t tell them that. You have to tell them they have a player inside them and they are underperforming and selling themselves short etc. I don’t think he really ever skated them publicly although I’ll admit I got sick of listening to his crap towards the end so may have missed it.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: red-star-par  
Date:   Sun 29 May 10:18

Depends who you are hearing that from GG. If it`s the players themselves that`s maybe their version of events. The bottom line is, the players are losers, if they can`t handle hearing the truth and use that as a spur to buck themselves up, it only further proves the point.
We have had 10 years of underachievement, and in my opinion it`s mostly due to having players without the mental toughness required to get on with the job in hand
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: gordi-b  
Date:   Sun 29 May 10:44

Hughes telling players they aren,t up to it, yet he paid money for Joe Chalmers , beggars belief

G.B
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 29 May 11:04

Quote:

Never10yairds, Sun 29 May 10:12

Is that right enough GG? Hughes told them they weren’t up to it? I mean he wasn’t wrong, Grant left a squad of absolute garbage (despite the nonsense some said on here about it being a good squad).

If your the manager though, you can’t tell them that. You have to tell them they have a player inside them and they are underperforming and selling themselves short etc. I don’t think he really ever skated them publicly although I’ll admit I got sick of listening to his crap towards the end so may have missed it.

You`re right on the money, N10Y. Some of our squad weren`t good enough to keep us up, never mind challenge for promotion, but a better manager than Hughes would have got the best out of his players by using tactics and formations which made the best use of what abilities they did have.

Above all, he would have used good man management to instil some confidence and self belief in a team which was at rock bottom in both when he came in. Telling your players they`re crap isn`t going to make them better, that`s for sure.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Sun 29 May 11:35

GGR, I don`t think you`ve revealed your source about the disquiet amongst the squad and Hughes telling some of them they weren`t up to the job. You`ve always been a reliable poster and not prone to some of the baseless allegations we sometimes get on here. My only reservation about what you are claiming is that, although Hughes ultimately failed in his objective of keeping us in the Championship, even his severest critic would have to admit that he did improve results and took us to the brink of safety. How did he manage that whilst allegedly demoralising most of the squad?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 29 May 12:06

There is something in what red star says too, with the right mentality that criticism can get a “you’ve written me off? I’m going to prove you wrong and make an absolute c*nt of you”. I’m like that. I think good man management requires you to work out who needs mollycoddling and who needs a boot up the backside and to face some hard truths. If Yogo told them all they are crap then it’s not a great strategy, even if it’s mostly true.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Gadgie59  
Date:   Sun 29 May 12:46

Agree with N10Y and GGR …. Hughes is responsible for man management and his remit was to avoid relegation.

I suspect if Lee Bullen had come to EEP and John Hughes had went to Somerset Park, we’d still be in the Championship and Ayr would’ve been relegated.

On arrival Hughes talked about player’s strengths and getting at other teams; he also identified that we were a soft touch and needed to stop leaking goals. Looking back, his focus on keeping clean sheets appears to have trumped everything else.

“Football is a beautiful game,
It should be played beautifully.”
Brian Clough.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 29 May 13:14

Quote:

Never10yairds, Sun 29 May 12:06

There is something in what red star says too, with the right mentality that criticism can get a “you’ve written me off? I’m going to prove you wrong and make an absolute c*nt of you”. I’m like that. I think good man management requires you to work out who needs mollycoddling and who needs a boot up the backside and to face some hard truths. If Yogo told them all they are crap then it’s not a great strategy, even if it’s mostly true.

Yes, I agree with that, too, but it`s much harder to perform well if your manager is constantly slagging you off than if he`s encouraging you and pointing out where you`re going wrong and how you can improve. (Positive and negative reinforcement.)

Wee eck, I don`t know exactly how many players he may have demoralised and I`m certainly not going to list the ones I know of, but for all that we didn`t have a great squad, we had enough quality to stay up. Hughes did improve our points per game ratio compared to Grant, (Einstein taught us that everything is relative) but ultimately not enough to secure 8th place in a 10 team league.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 29 May 13:24

I just can’t believe hughes would come into the pars and make exactly the same mistakes as he did at raith in telling players they were effectively crap on on thier way out while he still relying on them to play until then. No one is that stupid. Right?

He did however very much alienate players who never got a chance as 1st team regulars and instead of putting an arm around those you needed to to help get you through the end of the season he dropped them, he said we were a soft touch and signed Ambrose and chalmers who would pull out of a 50-50 tackle with Casper.

God the more I think about the time hughes was in change the more I think what did he actually get right? At least he only saddled us with one donkey unlike the previous incumbent.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parsfan97  
Date:   Sun 29 May 15:12

If we start the season with mhemet breen dorran and chalmers be as well putting up the shutters

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Sun 29 May 16:05

Would the sensible thing not be to let everyone start with a clean slate? I would hope that would be what the manager will do.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 29 May 16:18

Gadgie, I agree, bully probably would have kept us up.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: da_no_1  
Date:   Sun 29 May 16:37

Quote:

Never10yairds, Sun 29 May 16:18

Gadgie, I agree, bully probably would have kept us up.

Pure speculation. Hughes might have kept Ayr up if the roles were reversed

"Some days will stay a 1000 years, some pass like the flash of a spark"
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Gadgie59  
Date:   Sun 29 May 18:49

Yeah, who would want speculation on an Internet forum about football?

“Football is a beautiful game,
It should be played beautifully.”
Brian Clough.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: RossDAFC  
Date:   Sun 29 May 19:38

Ideally we get Mehmet and Dorrans off the wage bill, Breen and Todorov you could take or leave. Chalmers given he was signed for money I can`t see going anywhere unfortunately as he`s proved to be a woeful signing so far. I think we`ll do well to offload any though and may have to prepare for another year of snails pace build up with Dorrans and Chalmers in the midfield. Only saving grace is I think Wighton will get his chance and I fancy him to do well at this level.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: AlterPar  
Date:   Sun 29 May 19:40

Just as well the fans at least never constantly posted scathing insults on how badly they do their jobs on a public forum…. If you are getting it from the manager and then seeing it on here from countless others, no wonder things never got better. Human beings matter.

Post Edited (Sun 29 May 19:41)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Indiapar  
Date:   Sun 29 May 20:51

I would imagine there would be negotiations with players ongoing. Some may request a transfer if the wages drop as I imagine they will for next season. It will be a tough league to get out of. We were beaten by QP after all. I am not convinced with the players we had this season we will be up there challenging. Its going to be an interesting few weeks ahead to see who moves on.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 29 May 22:45

My worry is if the likes of dorrans and mehmet don’t have relegation clauses to reduce wages as under grant the last thing they would have expected would be relegation.

The only saving grace with chalmers is surely there was a clause to knock a percentage of if we want down, although maybe not as he didn’t look like he cared either way.

I’d still expect a few players under contract to leave on a free, depends who wants them though and has money to burn.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 30 May 06:35

"My worry is if the likes of dorrans and mehmet don’t have relegation clauses to reduce wages as under grant the last thing they would have expected would be relegation.

The only saving grace with chalmers is surely there was a clause to knock a percentage of if we want down, although maybe not as he didn’t look like he cared either way."

I`m actually quite optimistic that we`ll see much improved performances from the players who remain, as well as those who come in, Berkey.

From what I`m hearing, McPake is a very likeable guy, who is unlikely to hack his players off. If they enjoy coming into their work and a good spirit develops among the squad, the players are more likely to perform well in games. Bear in mind too, that although there will be some good teams in League 1, the overall standard will not be as good as it is in the Championship, just as the standard in League 1 is better than League 2. Remember our League Cup group games v lower league teams last season?

I don`t agree with your take on Chalmers. He maybe looked like he didn`t care to you, but all footballers hate losing above all else. McPake is right when he said the team had become used to losing games. That means their confidence and morale was at rock bottom and that counts for a great deal in any competitive sport.

"If you think you can win, you might - if you think you`ll lose, you will."

Mr Hughes please note.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: LochgellyAlbert  
Date:   Mon 30 May 09:58

Think Mehmet will be staying, did alright when Jacub was away on international duties.

Post Edited (Mon 30 May 15:08)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DA-go Par Adonis  
Date:   Mon 30 May 12:31

Who knows with Mehmet. Was alright in the league Cup, terrible in a few league games and then benched.

Came back to cover for Jacub, on a total hiding to nothing, and looked pretty assured.

If we can get going in League 1, he might be able to build up some confidence and perform. He looked quite good with Utd, albeit was rarely first choice.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I love it when we go sell Kevin Nisbet,
He's gonna pay for everyone this season.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 30 May 14:25

Fair enough GG, hopefully the likes of chalmers can improve under a different set up where forward passing is allowed etc.

Just beggars belief that you would pay money for someone and ask them to do a job that wasn’t suited to how they play’ maybe I’m giving hughes too much credit…

Post Edited (Mon 30 May 15:48)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 30 May 16:07

Quote:

Berkey, Mon 30 May 14:25

Fair enough GG, hopefully the likes of chalmers can improve under a different set up where forward passing is allowed etc.

Just beggars belief that you would pay money for someone and ask them to do a job that wasn’t suited to how they play’ maybe I’m giving hughes too much credit…

You are giving Hughes too much credit. Grant was wildly optimistic with his prediction of promotion, but Hughes had enough games and a January budget to keep us up.

He failed miserably. 🙁

I don`t know how good Chalmers and some of the other remainers could be under a good manager. Hopefully, James McPake is the man we need. I`m sure we can all think of players who looked hopeless under one manager but went on to flourish under another.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: McCaig`s Tower  
Date:   Wed 1 Jun 14:05

An interesting insight into the Hughes regime, GG.

All potential managerial candidates will come with mixed track records. Whilst Yogi had done well in the highlands, he had fallen out with his players at Raith and had had a propensity for trying to play it out from the back at Livi, a trait a duly diligent exercise might have uncovered. Both these latter issues should as a minimum have been addressed at an interview process, IMO.

Arguably those were mistakes that Yogi was unable to learn from.

On the more substantive point of the remaining players, I think there are any number of examples of different managers getting more out of the same set of players – Steve Clarke is a recent example; Bert Paton, and presumably Jock Stein (but that is a different story).

[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net