DAFC.net
Home 29 September 2022 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 New Chairman interview.
Topic Originator: AdamAntsParsStripe  
Date:   Sun 29 May 21:26

What a bollox scripted interview I`ve just witnessed.

Zwei Pints Bier und ein Päckchen Chips bitte
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: New Chairman interview.
Topic Originator: Parsweep  
Date:   Sun 29 May 21:36

Yip . Not exactly inspiring .

Bobvo
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: 1985Par  
Date:   Sun 29 May 21:47

What did you want him to say?

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: kba  
Date:   Sun 29 May 22:01

Another post folk bitching, think it`s the first time I`ve seen something coming out over the weekend other than sackings, if he hadn`t done the interview you would bitch that nothing had been said.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: sadindiefreak  
Date:   Sun 29 May 22:26

There`s absolutely nothing wrong with the interview.
We have the worst fans, miserable bunch of bedwetters.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: twin par  
Date:   Sun 29 May 22:34

Aye,the interview was fine.There are people you will never please. What the hell,did they expect the guy to say.Aye,we have 50 million in the bank.Get real.

Post Edited (Sun 29 May 22:36)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: RossF  
Date:   Sun 29 May 22:38

At least Cook has experience at this level at other clubs and by all accounts, he was fairly successful. Hopefully our fortunes change this season.

I`m hoping for some signings this week. At least that might get the fans excited again. The other promising thing is that McPake is actually getting to bring his own staff in.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Berkey  
Date:   Sun 29 May 22:40

Interview was fine, nothing in there that was new an unexpected. Would like to think these are kept going on a regular basis.

At least he said the budget would be decent, although worried the immediate target appears to be winning games, would have like more detail about that though in terms of what they see as a success from these short term targets? 15 points a quarter etc?

Things will be looking up……..now yogi is gone!

[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: Rusty Shackleford  
Date:   Sun 29 May 22:56

Absolutely nothing wrong with the interview, although it did lack a little substance. But like someone above says, what do you expect him to say?

I sometimes long for the pre-internet era where every movement, syllable and minutiae were over-analysed.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Never10yairds  
Date:   Mon 30 May 01:47

I thought it was perfectly adequate. Guy comes across quite well I thought.

I do wonder about the reluctance to state our target for the season.

Is that a reaction to Grant setting the aim of winning the championship last year and then building a team that got relegated?

Or is it that promotion this year isn’t really the clubs priority compared to getting other things in place?

Maybe they don’t see it as a realistic aim with some of the dug meat still signed up for another year and hoovering up a fair proportion of the wage budget?

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Mon 30 May 06:06

Topic Originator: Never10yairds like
Date: Mon 30 May 01:47

I thought it was perfectly adequate. Guy comes across quite well I thought.

I do wonder about the reluctance to state our target for the season.

Is that a reaction to Grant setting the aim of winning the championship last year and then building a team that got relegated?

Or is it that promotion this year isn’t really the clubs priority compared to getting other things in place?

Maybe they don’t see it as a realistic aim with some of the dug meat still signed up for another year and hoovering up a fair proportion of the wage budget?

I`m no mind reader, N10Y, but I think you`re right on the money (again) with your PG reference. David Cook repeated James McPake`s aim that they want to put out a team which makes a habit of winning games rather than losing them. Factor in that he added we`ll have one of the biggest budgets in League 1 and the implication is clear - we`ll be aiming to be promoted next season.

By not specifically stating this aim, the players will be under (slightly) less pressure and they won`t have provided a stick for the fans to beat them with by raising expectations in the way that PG did. I think that`s a wise approach.

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Par  
Date:   Mon 30 May 07:46

We will have one of the biggest budgets, promotion must be the aim surely and the new manager and CEO should be aware of this, anything else will be considered a failure.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Westies squint kicks  
Date:   Mon 30 May 08:04

I’m surprised at the response to “we’ll have one of the biggest budgets”.
Something majorly wrong if we didn’t surely ?
We’re in with the likes of Kelty, Peterhead, Edinburgh City, Alloa etc. One of the biggest budgets, really ?
Need more engagement from the club particularly during the close season and not just when they’re rallying the support in preparation for season ticket launch.
A step in the right direction though if they continue to engage. If season tickets are coming by end of the week I think he said you’d hope to see some new faces this week.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Mon 30 May 08:21

A big budget doesn`t equal success. I think what`s coming across is the need to build a team for the future rather than just one to get us promoted.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 30 May 08:29

Quote:

Westies squint kicks, Mon 30 May 08:04

We’re in with the likes of Kelty, Peterhead, Edinburgh City, Alloa etc. One of the biggest budgets, really ?
Need more engagement from the club particularly during the close season and not just when they’re rallying the support in preparation for season ticket launch.
A step in the right direction though if they continue to engage. If season tickets are coming by end of the week I think he said you’d hope to see some new faces this week.

I`m not understanding your post at all, Westie. Are you suggesting that other posters are surprised that we`ll have one of the biggest budgets in League 1? I can`t see any evidence of that. I`m guessing only Falkirk will have anywhere near our budget, based on likely average attendances.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Grant  
Date:   Mon 30 May 08:51

Quote:

jake89, Mon 30 May 08:21

A big budget doesn`t equal success. I think what`s coming across is the need to build a team for the future rather than just one to get us promoted.

A team for the future is one that gets us promoted. The more time spent down here equates to less money.

The talk of simply trying to win more games is tedious, the aim, and minimum expectation should be promotion.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 30 May 08:53

Quote:

GG Riva, Mon 30 May 08:29

Quote:

Westies squint kicks, Mon 30 May 08:04

I`m not understanding your post at all, Westie. Are you suggesting that other posters are surprised that we`ll have one of the biggest budgets in League 1? I can`t see any evidence of that. I`m guessing only Falkirk will have anywhere near our budget, based on likely average attendances.

Falkirk will also have to content with the fact that they`ve been down here for a few years, suffering from less average attendances and prize money, they`ve also been going through managers at some rate.

We don`t have a wealthy, owner backed club like Cove or Queens Park either, we should have, by a decent distance, have the best budget. If that isn`t utilised well then it`s on the manager.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: par-91  
Date:   Mon 30 May 09:21

A bigger budget than most is less relevant in league 1 than it was in the championship. Other than Falkirk, every other team is chasing part time players, we’re not. So we aren’t competing to sign the same players. Our budget and position means we’ll most likely be ‘attracting’ the poorest full time players - or those who come with most risk.

I guess there are a few routes to go down, but they do all involve risk. You can try and bring in youth/younger players that have been released from big clubs/are looking to leave big clubs, by offering them regular first team football. You can give more experienced players a ‘last chance’ in full time football. Or you can find young players that are part time, that you could tempt to become full time. Some sort of combination of all 3 is the likely recruitment strategy, in my opinion.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Mon 30 May 10:25

Quote:

Grant, Mon 30 May 08:51

Quote:

A team for the future is one that gets us promoted. The more time spent down here equates to less money.

The talk of simply trying to win more games is tedious, the aim, and minimum expectation should be promotion.

Get that, but filling your squad with a bunch of "experienced" players and starlet loans doesn`t mean success. Even Rangers had a few blips despite effectively buying their way up the leagues.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: londonparsfan  
Date:   Mon 30 May 11:20

Quote:

par-91, Mon 30 May 09:21

A bigger budget than most is less relevant in league 1 than it was in the championship. Other than Falkirk, every other team is chasing part time players, we’re not. So we aren’t competing to sign the same players. Our budget and position means we’ll most likely be ‘attracting’ the poorest full time players - or those who come with most risk.

I guess there are a few routes to go down, but they do all involve risk. You can try and bring in youth/younger players that have been released from big clubs/are looking to leave big clubs, by offering them regular first team football. You can give more experienced players a ‘last chance’ in full time football. Or you can find young players that are part time, that you could tempt to become full time. Some sort of combination of all 3 is the likely recruitment strategy, in my opinion.

Sorry but that`s not true either. A bigger budget means we can offer part time players full time football. It might not be appealing for some as one or two will have good jobs outside football but there will be plenty part time players that would love to go full time and having a bigger budget means we can offer something to those guys that other clubs can`t.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Playup_Pompey  
Date:   Mon 30 May 11:27

.net posters.... We want a board statement

board statement comes out

.net posters...Board updates are scripted p!sh we want to be told we are the best in the world

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DAFCinBK  
Date:   Mon 30 May 11:37

A good interview I thought. He comes across as passionate, articulate and clear sighted. Not a lot of detail, but I`m not sure we should expect too much, although the interviewer might have asked a couple of follow up questions rather than constantly moving on to the next thing. Just ask him "what might we expect/what might that look like" occasionally. A

He was honest enough to say last season was a disaster, and I liked the attempt to stop speaking about "the Germans" and the rest, which along with the changes to the board and Meggle`s enhanced football role suggests our new owners are taking more responsibility.

I agree the focus on simple immediate targets is a reaction to PG`s posturing, and it might also be connected to the desire to integrate younger players more this season, recognising that that means more risk in the short term, as we build for the longer term.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 30 May 12:16

Quote:

jake89, Mon 30 May 10:25

Quote:

Grant, Mon 30 May 08:51

Quote:

Get that, but filling your squad with a bunch of "experienced" players and starlet loans doesn`t mean success. Even Rangers had a few blips despite effectively buying their way up the leagues.

Likewise good players don`t want to spend long in league one, we`re unlikely to get a group of hotshot talents who would be happy to stay in this division for whatever reason, as Raith found with Kevin Nisbet etc.

It`s pretty hard to build a squad on the long term in the lower reaches of Scottish football, good players don`t want tied down with long contracts, and if you`re successful it won`t be long until better teams come and cherry pick your players.

The talk of consolidating in the Championship was a bit false, likewise there shouldn`t be any talk or contemplation of finding a couple/three/four seasons down here as acceptable. If we pick any good players up this summer who shine, they`ll want to go next summer if we don`t get promoted. Look at Easton and the Airdrie management team bugging out... If they`d gotten up they might have stayed, as it is do you think they`re in any stronger a position for having spent another year down here?

The aim simply has to be promotion.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 30 May 12:59

Quote:

A big budget doesn`t ALWAYS equal success. I think what`s coming across is the need to build a team for the future rather than just one to get us promoted.

Fixed that for you, Jake. 🙂

Most of the time, it does though. If you don`t believe me, just ask yourself why the same two clubs will contest the Scottish Premiership again next season and why the same Big Six clubs contest the CL places in England.

And would you bet against Newcastle making it the Big Seven in the next couple of years?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 30 May 13:29

Quote:

londonparsfan, Mon 30 May 11:20

Quote:

par-91, Mon 30 May 09:21

Sorry but that`s not true either. A bigger budget means we can offer part time players full time football. It might not be appealing for some as one or two will have good jobs outside football but there will be plenty part time players that would love to go full time and having a bigger budget means we can offer something to those guys that other clubs can`t.

So when I say “you can find young players that are part time, that you could tempt to become full time.” it’s not true, but when you say it, it is? Really bizarre to say that what I said wasn’t true, then repeat one of my suggestions as if you came up with it all by yourself…
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: londonparsfan  
Date:   Mon 30 May 13:38

Well in that case the second half of your post contradicts the first half.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 30 May 13:54

Whatever, attracting good quality players just got a lot harder. And we`ve sunk to the level where, in terms of quality, there`s no difference between full time and part time. We found this out ( and debated it endlessly) last time we were down this far. When AJ came in he managed to sign the like of Ben Richards-Everton to give us some steel and, in Faissel, had the best player in the league that season. Where McPake gets the equivalent of those 2 from i don`t know.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 30 May 14:51

Quote:

londonparsfan, Mon 30 May 13:38

It doesn’t really though, does it? What I said was correct. Other than Falkirk (and maybe QoS - who I believe are going hybrid?), the other teams in our league are trying to sign players on part time contracts. If players want to play part time, as many do these days, we’re not going to be competing for those players. Our playing budget being say double a part time club’s is less significant in that case, than it would be if we had one of the largest budgets in a predominantly full time league. If we’re looking to sign players from part time, we’d need to offer significantly more money than a part time club would anyway. If a player earns £400 per week from a part time club and £400 per week from their other job, we’d have to offer at least £800 per week to effectively ‘match’ that offer financially. That’s why us having a significantly bigger playing budget than part time clubs is less relevant than it would be in a predominantly full time league.

As I went on to acknowledge, there are several younger players (like O’Hara a couple of years ago) who have been part time and would like to go full time. We will have one of the lowest full time playing budgets in the country, so that’s probably a market we’ll be looking to explore. That doesn’t mean that the previous paragraph can’t also be true.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Angus_W  
Date:   Mon 30 May 15:01

If a player earns £400 per week from a part time club and £400 per week from their other job, we’d have to offer at least £800 per week to effectively ‘match’ that offer financially. That’s why us having a significantly bigger playing budget than part time clubs is less relevant than it would be in a predominantly full time league.

.....Spot on.

We have to be financially clever regards fulltime/Part time at this level. We have to be looking at a hybrid model.

Post Edited (Mon 30 May 15:05)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: rsmith  
Date:   Mon 30 May 15:03

Quote:

par-91, Mon 30 May 14:51

Quote:

It doesn’t really though, does it? What I said was correct. Other than Falkirk (and maybe QoS - who I believe are going hybrid?), the other teams in our league are trying to sign players on part time contracts. If players want to play part time, as many do these days, we’re not going to be competing for those players. Our playing budget being say double a part time club’s is less significant in that case, than it would be if we had one of the largest budgets in a predominantly full time league. If we’re looking to sign players from part time, we’d need to offer significantly more money than a part time club would anyway. If a player earns £400 per week from a part time club and £400 per week from their other job, we’d have to offer at least £800 per week to effectively ‘match’ that offer financially. That’s why us having a significantly bigger playing budget than part time clubs is less relevant than it would be in a predominantly full time league.

As I went on to acknowledge, there are several younger players (like O’Hara a couple of years ago) who have been part time and would like to go full time. We will have one of the lowest full time playing budgets in the country, so that’s probably a market we’ll be looking to explore. That doesn’t mean that the previous paragraph can’t also be true.

Would it be possible to have a few part time players in the squad, I know they wouldnt be training as much as some of the team so wouldn`t be 100% ideal but I`m sure they would still keep themselves fit.

If you look at the like of Arbroath they are all part time and out work almost all teams they play at this level.

Not sure if it would affect tactically or squad harmony having guys training less whilst others train more but would certainly allow us to attract different types of players and potentially have a smaller wage bill.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 30 May 15:12

I’d definitely be comfortable with us going hybrid, if it meant we recruited better players and had a better product on the park. I think the main issue might be training - I’d assume the academy teams will most likely train in the evenings and the hybrid model relies on evening training sessions at least a couple of times per week. However, that’s definitely something that can be worked around/sorted out if it’s what we need to do to progress/improve the first team.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 30 May 15:15

We need to get the best players we can regardless of whether they train full - time, part-time or not at all. Do whatever it takes to get us out this league.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Mon 30 May 15:50

Having separate training sessions for full- and part-time players can`t be good for team spirit. Also, what if the manager wants to work on a particular formation or tactic in preparation for a game? It would be difficult to do that if all the players weren`t present surely?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 30 May 15:59

Quote:

wee eck, Mon 30 May 15:50

Having separate training sessions for full- and part-time players can`t be good for team spirit. Also, what if the manager wants to work on a particular formation or tactic in preparation for a game? It would be difficult to do that if all the players weren`t present surely?

Those are the reasons AJ turned down a hybrid model when he came in, preferring to work with a smaller, FT squad. Worked out pretty well, too. We blew all the part time teams away.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 30 May 17:01

Quote:

wee eck, Mon 30 May 15:50

I think generally in a hybrid system there’s 2 evening sessions per week with the full squad. On the other days, the full time players training session is during the day. So all players would be present in the evening sessions, not just PT players. That’s when they would work on tactics/preparation.

PT players (even at 100% part time clubs) are also expected to do their own fitness work on days off. Usually being given a program/circuit to do on their own/in groups in the gym.

However, I agree that there are potential issues with a hybrid model, when some FT players are working hard in every training session, but seeing players come in twice a week getting a game ahead of them. Also weeks that we have a midweek game, that replaces a training session for the PT players.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: weemike  
Date:   Mon 30 May 17:23

Any player joining us will be joining us with a view to getting promoted ASAP, the board, management and crowd do not need to set targets as it goes without saying.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parsmad68  
Date:   Mon 30 May 17:41

If it is the choice between part time or
Full time then full time wins hands down. I played part time and some midweeks you are mentally and physically below your best before a game. The majority of the time is ok but there is a good percentage where you are not 100% when the full timers have that complete focus.
It does make a difference. Thankfully the majority of games are at the weekend when players are fresh, but full time is the model to follow if possible.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GJS93  
Date:   Mon 30 May 17:54

"Where McPake gets the equivalent of those 2 from i don`t know"

start in Scotland then look down south and abroad.
use scouts, agents, contacts, people they trust. if i remember rightly stmirren used linkedin a few years ago and ended up signing Hladky and Popescu.
I presume the club has access to wyscout or similar scouting platforms.

there are plenty of ways to find the players, the problem might be do we have enough people in that area to maximise all the options?

the hybrid idea might be something for future years no matter what league we are in but its a non starter for this season with not enough part time players of the quality required available to make it worthwhile changing just now.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Mon 30 May 18:19

I wonder if David Cook has any regrets about leaving Nottingham Forest after their promotion to the Premiership yesterday. Maybe he had a bit to do with getting them there.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: AdamAntsParsStripe  
Date:   Mon 30 May 18:44

The point about my post was , I really can`t stand corporate talk.
The interviewer was clearly given his lines to ask which is fair enough on a Pars TV platform but it was so underwhelming.
I`ve watched similar videos on F*lkirk TV and it`s an instant switch off for fans.
I`m not expecting instant promotion.
I`m prepared for a season or two in this division to be honest but watching that was uncomfortable to say the least.
"Let`s get back to winning games" to paraphrase.
No sh1t Sherlock!
Both the CEO and the new manager reading the same script page handed to the interviewer.

Zwei Pints Bier und ein Päckchen Chips bitte
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 30 May 21:03

Quote:

par-91, Mon 30 May 14:51

Quote:

It doesn’t really though, does it? What I said was correct. Other than Falkirk (and maybe QoS - who I believe are going hybrid?), the other teams in our league are trying to sign players on part time contracts. .

You`re wrong. QoTS are full time, Airdrie are also hybrid, however predominantly full time.

The two teams that got promoted last year? Predominantly full time QP and Cove. The third best side? Predominantly full time Airdrie.

This shouldn`t even be a discussion, quite clearly the best set up is full time, our three closest challengers will be signing players on full time contracts.

So just in this league alone there will be three full time sides trying to sign players, Montrose will be the strongest part time side, however they then struggle in that Arbroath along the road are the Premier attraction. To try and say us not having the biggest budget isn't as pronounced is just quite simply false, unless you're trying to say we'll be slugging it out with Clyde, Edinburgh and Montrose?

Post Edited (Mon 30 May 21:07)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 30 May 22:26

Cove won the league by a 7 point margin and lost 3 games all season. They were part time.

They are however in the enviable position of having an owner who can say to the likes of Mark Reynolds and Mitch Megginson - come and play for me part-time. I`ll give you a job and a career outside football. So maybe not directly comparable to our own situation.

Post Edited (Mon 30 May 22:33)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: thebear  
Date:   Tue 31 May 00:47

agree decent interview, perhaps some already want him out, or him to promise loadsa money and instant success
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Indiapar  
Date:   Tue 31 May 16:15

Quote:

1985Par, Mon 30 May 22:26

Cove won the league by a 7 point margin and lost 3 games all season. They were part time.

They are however in the enviable position of having an owner who can say to the likes of Mark Reynolds and Mitch Megginson - come and play for me part-time. I`ll give you a job and a career outside football. So maybe not directly comparable to our own situation.

It might be a good business model going forward where players can supplement their income representing the club in some form or by working in association with the club or directors firms.
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net