DAFC.net
Home 05 July 2022 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 The Goalie
Topic Originator: dover par  
Date:   Mon 30 May 23:17

Rangers legend Andy Goram has just six months to live after terminal cancer diagnosis according to the Daily Record.

"Pressure is something you feel when you don't know what the hell you're doing."
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: The Goalie
Topic Originator: sammer  
Date:   Tue 31 May 03:05

https://youtu.be/hKRsXIPKMD0

A highly recommended interview of Andy Goram by Neville Southall which focuses mostly on the actual coaching of goalkeepers. Fascinating opinions about gloves (cheap ones are as good as any apparently) about wearing light or dark coloured gear, the difficulties of the modern ball which wobbles in the air and how the position has changed over the ears.

Some good Goram one liners: ‘I’d rather be a 5’11 keeper than a 6’3 one’ and ‘Command the 6 yard box? It’s a big area!’

sammer
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: ipswichpar  
Date:   Tue 31 May 07:11

Very sad to hear this. A brilliant keeper.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: eastendalloapar  
Date:   Tue 31 May 07:22

I believe that he did a coaching stint for us a few years ago.

matt forsyth
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Big T Par  
Date:   Tue 31 May 08:01

An absolutely horrible disease.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Tue 31 May 08:22

Sad to hear .. Great Keeper ..Thoughts with him and Family

We are forever shaped by the Children we once were
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: par-ticular  
Date:   Tue 31 May 08:59

Remember him getting pelters at EEP, calling him a fat B. It was windy and a Stephens paper bag flew by him, he grabbed it , looked inside then up at the Norrie shaking his head before screwing up bag. Brilliant. So sad to hear this.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DJAS  
Date:   Tue 31 May 11:29

Quote:

par-ticular, Tue 31 May 08:59

Remember him getting pelters at EEP, calling him a fat B. It was windy and a Stephens paper bag flew by him, he grabbed it , looked inside then up at the Norrie shaking his head before screwing up bag. Brilliant. So sad to hear this.

Remember that too. Always interacted with the crowd in a jovial way. Really sad news.

Predictor league winner 2012/2013
[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: Zimbo  
Date:   Tue 31 May 15:01

He was sadly diagnosed with schizophrenia many seasons ago. The Pars fans gave him a rousing rendition of ‘Two Andy Gorams, there’s only two Andy Gorams’.

Very sad to hear of his illness. For a relatively small guy he was a great goalie. Think he had a hand in persuading Andy Rhodes to come to EEP as well?

Post Edited (Tue 31 May 21:15)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: RhinoPars  
Date:   Fri 3 Jun 02:46

I was introduced to him once at EEP and he was very nice to me as a complete stranger. Sad news
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Taxipar  
Date:   Fri 3 Jun 18:45

The news is bleak to say the least he’s just posted the his cancer is very aggressive and been told 4-6 weeks and he’s moving to a hospice next week or so. No good news

A par since 1985
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Parfect69  
Date:   Fri 3 Jun 19:44

So sad, one of the best keepers I’ve seen in the flesh
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: TAFKA_Super_Petrie  
Date:   Fri 3 Jun 20:15

All the Rangers stuff and the save from Van Hooijdonk etc get most of the plaudits due to how high profile they were but i remember a relatively random game he had at Parkhead for Motherwell.

He looked like he had just crawled out from under a rock having been on a bender, got absolute dogs` abuse from the Celtic fans (which he played up to lile classic pantomine villain) but had one of the best games i have ever seen from a goalie.

I think Motherwell still went onto lose 1-0 or 2-0 but it was the preverbial cliche to say without Goram it would have been double figures. One save in particular he had from a header is up there with the best i have ever seen. I know father time sometimes embelishes stuff like this in the memory but he was incredible that day.

---------------------------------------------------------------

"People always talk about Ronaldinho and magic, but I didn't see him today. I saw Henrik Larsson; that's where the magic was."

Post Edited (Fri 03 Jun 20:16)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: ipswichpar  
Date:   Fri 3 Jun 22:04

YouTube link

I suspect it might be this one....
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: RMGpar  
Date:   Sat 4 Jun 01:12

He has posted tonight that he has a set back on Tuesday and has now been given 4-5 weeks rather than 6 months :(

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: TAFKA_Super_Petrie  
Date:   Sat 4 Jun 20:35

Quote:

ipswichpar, Fri 3 Jun 22:04

YouTube link

Bloody hell some find!

Amazing given his stature, lack of height and general off the field living he was able to get to such a level. Reconstructed knee as well to throw into the mix.

Klos was another one, Sanchez Brotto at Livingston as well. They`d probably be told to forget it if they came through the Scottish coaching systems nowadays due to their size.

---------------------------------------------------------------

"People always talk about Ronaldinho and magic, but I didn't see him today. I saw Henrik Larsson; that's where the magic was."

Post Edited (Sat 04 Jun 20:36)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Grant  
Date:   Sat 4 Jun 22:52

Quote:

TAFKA_Super_Petrie, Sat 4 Jun 20:35

Quote:

ipswichpar, Fri 3 Jun 22:04

YouTube link

Bloody hell some find!

Amazing given his stature, lack of height and general off the field living he was able to get to such a level. Reconstructed knee as well to throw into the mix.

Klos was another one, Sanchez Brotto at Livingston as well. They`d probably be told to forget it if they came through the Scottish coaching systems nowadays due to their size.

I wish someone had told David Sinclair-Hutton to forget it before he rocked up at us.
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net