DAFC.net
Home 05 July 2022 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Incoming
Topic Originator: p4r5f4n  
Date:   Mon 6 Jun 17:48

Big pen on twitter
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Incoming
Topic Originator: king lad  
Date:   Mon 6 Jun 17:51

I`m guessing Benedictus or Hamilton? Hopefully the first of many

Post Edited (Mon 06 Jun 17:51)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: king lad  
Date:   Mon 6 Jun 18:01

Benedictus signs on a 2 year deal
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Never10yairds  
Date:   Mon 6 Jun 18:06

Delighted with this. Great signing. Make him captain. We badly lacked a real captain last year.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Berkey  
Date:   Mon 6 Jun 18:08

Nailed on captain and just what we needed.

Good start to this summers signings anyway.

Things will be looking up……..now yogi is gone!

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Beeches Par  
Date:   Mon 6 Jun 18:12

A leader we definitely need

David G McLean
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: RMGpar  
Date:   Mon 6 Jun 18:36

Good singing, no nonsense CB who is a leader.. One box ticked!

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: par-91  
Date:   Mon 6 Jun 18:49

Decent signing for league 1. Hopefully he goes on to be a success for us!
[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: KirklistonPar  
Date:   Mon 6 Jun 18:55

Kyle signs, article up on website now.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Gaz3822  
Date:   Mon 6 Jun 19:16

Don`t think he should have been given 2yrs though.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Jeffery  
Date:   Mon 6 Jun 19:32

Quote:

Gaz3822, Mon 6 Jun 19:16

Don`t think he should have been given 2yrs though.

Have to agree given our recent experience with two year deals. 1 year with an option may have been better....but then maybe that was offered and he rejected, who knows.

Still a solid no frills centre half so happy with the signing.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: KirklistonPar  
Date:   Mon 6 Jun 19:46

Interview on YouTube channel. Hopefully be a good signing for us and able to use his years of experience to help us rebuild. Hope you love you time with the Pars.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: eastendalloapar  
Date:   Mon 6 Jun 20:46

He is only 30 so he should be good for at least 2 years. From his interview I think that he has already been that he will be our captain. I have always admired him as a player, and I am very happy that he has signed.

matt forsyth
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: PARrot  
Date:   Mon 6 Jun 20:51

If hes only 30 there are more than 2 years in him.
Some of you guys really expect a lot .
Here we finally get a player that most agree is a quality signing at our level. He drops a division, and you expect him to be greatfull for a 1 year contract.

Do you not think maybe the guy is entitled to a wee bit security?

Post Edited (Mon 06 Jun 20:52)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 6 Jun 21:43

The club should dictate, no the player Parrot..
We keep getting stung wi this sort of thing.
Let the player prove he`s worth another year

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: JTH123  
Date:   Mon 6 Jun 22:07

Dictate? Aye good luck with that approach. Only the desperate need apply....
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 6 Jun 22:08

Quote:

JTH123, Mon 6 Jun 22:07

Dictate? Aye good luck with that approach. Only the desperate need apply....

Aye but did ye no ken it`s a privilege to play for the mighty Pars.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DA-go Par Adonis  
Date:   Mon 6 Jun 22:23

"The club should dictate, no the player Parrot.."

Easy as that...

Any idea what he had on offer from Rovers and Falkirk?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I love it when we go sell Kevin Nisbet,
He's gonna pay for everyone this season.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 6 Jun 22:28

Maybe if the club made more good decisions for the club over the last 5 years maybe just maybe we wouldn`t be in this situation lads..whether it`s managers or players !

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Indiapar  
Date:   Mon 6 Jun 22:55

Its a fair deal he has dropped a division so there has to be something in it for him as well as us. If he is a leader, thats what we need.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: da_no_1  
Date:   Mon 6 Jun 23:57

Quote:

Gaz3822, Mon 6 Jun 21:43

The club should dictate, no the player Parrot..
We keep getting stung wi this sort of thing.
Let the player prove he`s worth another year

An interesting view. Obviously you`ve negotiated a lot of contracts between league 1 clubs and players?

"Some days will stay a 1000 years, some pass like the flash of a spark"
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: londonparsfan  
Date:   Tue 7 Jun 00:51

If a player comes in and does well there`s a very decent chance he leaves on a free at the end of the season and then everyone on here is saying we should have had the players tied down for longer.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 7 Jun 01:02

Quote:

londonparsfan, Tue 7 Jun 00:51

If a player comes in and does well there`s a very decent chance he leaves on a free at the end of the season and then everyone on here is saying we should have had the players tied down for longer.

Exactly.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Lambo1885  
Date:   Tue 7 Jun 07:27

"Any idea what he had on offer from Rovers and Falkirk?"

Only difference between us and the Rovers was we offered a 2 year deal they were only offering 1 year. Dunno about Fa***rk.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 7 Jun 07:53

So we offer him a year and he likely stays in the Championship?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 7 Jun 08:15

"So we offer him a year and he likely stays in the Championship?"

Sounds like it, was down to length of contract.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 7 Jun 08:18

I get that if you really want him you offer him 2 years I`m no daft.
My gut feeling with him was, one year in league one he should do well, as long as there`s someone next to him with pace because when I`ve seen him it`s what he`s lacking.

This this is before I look at loads of comments on social media laughing at us again saying he`s finished at Championship level, since he broke his leg he`s never been the same, he`s slower than a week in jail and so on.
Before you all jump on me about listening to other fans slagging of players, remember it happened with Ambrose, Chalmers, Polworth, Lawless and look at what they done or rather couldn`t do.

So 2 years means...if we get promoted which is the obvious aim, he`s another year down the line and would he still be what we need for a probable run at the title ? I`m no so sure about that.

Maybe Rover`s weren`t going to play him as first choice anymore, who knows.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: nick_dafc1  
Date:   Tue 7 Jun 08:25

If we had offered him 1 year he`d be off to Falkirk or another club

Then all the players who are happy to take a year we sign, we are rubbish in league one and everyone on here is complaining.

We signed an experienced championship level defender on a 2 year deal, every signing is a gamble but it seems quite a good one to me.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 7 Jun 08:30

Topic Originator: nick_dafc1   
Date:   Tue 7 Jun 08:25

If we had offered him 1 year he`d be off to Falkirk or another club

How do you know, maybe he`d have still picked us. Aren`t we still a decent name in Scottish football ?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 7 Jun 08:47

Quote:

Gaz3822, Tue 7 Jun 08:18

So 2 years means...if we get promoted which is the obvious aim, he`s another year down the line and would he still be what we need for a probable run at the title ? I`m no so sure about that.

1. If we get promoted this year, it would be foolish to expect promotion/a title push next season.

2. If we get promoted, is Benedictus not decent enough cover at championship level? Certainly seemed to be good enough for Raith, who are challenging for promotion, as cover. There will be nothing in his contract to state that he has to start every week for 2 years. It’s much more likely that he was seen as a decent league 1 player and decent cover in the championship, so regardless of the league, he could be useful next season.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 7 Jun 09:03

1. If we get promoted this year, it would be foolish to expect promotion/a title push next season.

Foolish, seriously ??

So we get promoted and go, well done lads now let`s just consolidate for a season and make sure we don`t get relegated again, is that what you`re saying ?

Jeezo, surely we`re able to bring a better level of player to the club and make a push for promotion.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Grant  
Date:   Tue 7 Jun 09:11

Quote:

par-91, Tue 7 Jun 08:47

Quote:

Why?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: desparado  
Date:   Tue 7 Jun 09:15

Some folk are never happy and will look for faults in any player/signing we make it seems.

What we really need in a CH is.

Under thirty years old
Lightning quick
Great in the air
Great tackler
Composed
Great passer of the ball
A leader
Chips in with a few goals.
A no nonsense CH.

Should be easy eh ?

Anyone got a spare million or two ?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 7 Jun 09:25

Quote:

Grant, Tue 7 Jun 09:11

Quote:

par-91, Tue 7 Jun 08:47

Quote:

Why?

Well, why should we have some sort of god-given right to challenge for the championship title? Should we be aiming for top 4? Yes. But the quote in question was about a title challenge.

Our budget will be smaller than a lot of other championship clubs if we go up and our squad will be weaker. If we go up and start going on about aiming to win the championship, we will just get laughed at and look stupid (again). Then finishing 4th/5th would be seen as a ‘failure’ even though that’s actually a realistic target and would be a relatively decent performance.

Based on the current £30m prize money, 1st in league 1 would get us £150,000 this season. 8th in the championship will get £240,000, 4th in the championship will get £390,000 and the team finishing bottom of the premiership will get £1,350,000 prize money this season. This is before considering Dundee’s parachute payment, should they fail to get promoted. For that reason, it does seem unreasonable to set the expectation of going for promotion again, if we go up.

We should absolutely be aiming to compete and challenge for top 4, but we also have to appreciate that we will struggle to compete with the clubs in the top half of this season’s championship (and those coming down from the top flight) financially.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 7 Jun 09:48

If we go up, we should absolutely be targeting a top-4 place in the Championship.

We can`t do that until we get promoted from League 1 though and if Benedictus will help us with that and wanted a 2-year contract, then we`ve done the right thing.

If it turns out that he`s an imperious 30-year old stopper in League One, but a hapless 31-year old carthorse in the Championship, then we cross that bridge when we come to out - presumably by loaning him out to Falkirk...

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Bandy  
Date:   Tue 7 Jun 10:51

Some folk are never happy and will look for faults in any player/signing we make it seems.

What we really need in a CH is.

Under thirty years old
Lightning quick
Great in the air
Great tackler
Composed
Great passer of the ball
A leader
Chips in with a few goals.
A no nonsense CH.

Should be easy eh ?

Anyone got a spare million or two ?

No chance you`re getting that for a million or two. That shopping list is £50m+. I mean how many top level centre halves meet that criteria - even Van Dijk couldn`t be classed as `Lightning Quick` these days, Kyle Walker is `lightning quick` but definitely isn`t `no nonsense`.

Benedictus is a decent signing for us. Well played the board and management. Let`s get a few more in of the same calibre

Post Edited (Tue 07 Jun 10:51)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: londonparsfan  
Date:   Tue 7 Jun 11:52

Quote:

DA-go Par Adonis, Tue 7 Jun 09:48

If we go up, we should absolutely be targeting a top-4 place in the Championship.

We can`t do that until we get promoted from League 1 though and if Benedictus will help us with that and wanted a 2-year contract, then we`ve done the right thing.

If it turns out that he`s an imperious 30-year old stopper in League One, but a hapless 31-year old carthorse in the Championship, then we cross that bridge when we come to out - presumably by loaning him out to Falkirk...

Exactly this.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Indiapar  
Date:   Tue 7 Jun 14:25

Alan Evans broke his leg at the Pars and look what he went on to. Hopefully he can still do a job for us in League 1.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Bannockburn Par  
Date:   Tue 7 Jun 16:27

Definitely need more than Kyle through the door to convince fans to buy a new season ticket.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: neils  
Date:   Tue 7 Jun 17:29

Decent start, my thinking is will take a while to get the right players in due to the fact we are a third tier club, players should go for a Championship team.

Better this than panic buying donkeys.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: RossF  
Date:   Tue 7 Jun 20:59

Think this is an excellent signing. A solid, no-nonsense defender and finally someone who is captain material. I would have loved to see him and Donaldson at the back together this season but hopefully we can see a different Rhys Breen, after a full preseason under his belt.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 7 Jun 23:32

What are we basing Benedictus being captain material and a great leader on? I get that he`s been a captain previously but that doesn`t mean he`s good at it? We had Lawless and Dorrans as captains last year, if they were to sign for another team this year would their receveing fan base be justified in saying they`d signed leaders because they were previously captains?

In Dorrans case he`s played at the highest level, been in some big dressing rooms and has a shed load experience, is he not captain material?

We had OFW, an internationalist who had been to a major tournament, was he not captain material?

Dow was appointed vice captain at one point, has just as much experience as Benedictus...

You get the point, I`m just curious as to what people have seen that marks him out to be such captain material, with Raith last year there was a noticeable drop off in there defence when Berra didn`t play, because they were losing such a leader, did similar happen when Benedictus was out?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: da_no_1  
Date:   Tue 7 Jun 23:39

McPake - it`s a no from Grant
Benedictus - it`s another no from Grant

Could be a long summer

"Some days will stay a 1000 years, some pass like the flash of a spark"
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 8 Jun 06:24

Quote:

da_no_1, Tue 7 Jun 23:39

Could be a long summer

Benedictus will hopefully be a "meh" signing, not amazing, not bad, just in the middle. A few of those supported by a few good signings and it`ll be a good summer.

I just don`t get how people can start saying "Player x is a leader", it`s quite hard for any fan to know how any player is in the dressing room. Benedictus comments in the Goodwillie fiasco don`t exactly mark him as a good bloke or a strong leader?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: JamesAndrew74  
Date:   Wed 8 Jun 06:33

Quote:

Grant, Wed 8 Jun 06:24

Quote:

Could be a long summer

Benedictus will hopefully be a "meh" signing, not amazing, not bad, just in the middle. A few of those supported by a few good signings and it`ll be a good summer.

I just don`t get how people can start saying "Player x is a leader", it`s quite hard for any fan to know how any player is in the dressing room. Benedictus comments in the Goodwillie fiasco don`t exactly mark him as a good bloke or a strong leader?

The same applies when you can say he is a a great leader. You’ve literally no clue or idea and can only base your comments on guesswork. Pretty pointless so far.

If the manager decides he’s our chosen captain so be it, if he doesn’t he isn’t. Only when you watch him and get to see/hear him amongst the players and in the dressing room carrying out his role can you make comment.

Post Edited (Wed 08 Jun 07:37)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 8 Jun 07:30

"The same applies when you can’t say he isn’t a great leader. You’ve literally no clue or idea and can only base your comments on guesswork. Pretty pointless so far."

Is this not exactly Grants point?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 8 Jun 07:53

Quote:

JamesAndrew74, Wed 8 Jun 06:33

Quote:

Quote:

Could be a long summer

The same applies when you can say he is a a great leader. You’ve literally no clue or idea and can only base your comments on guesswork. Pretty pointless so far.

Exactly what I`m saying.

We as fan only see an absolutely tiny amount of what being a captain is about, we don`t see the example he sets on the training ground, we don`t see how he is in the dressing room, we only see him for 90 minutes on a Saturday, how can anyone say he`s a great, or a bad leader?

Dorrans never gets referred to as a great leader but for all we know he`s fantastic at training and with helping his teammates in resolving issues. I`d argue that creating that environment is almost as important, if not more so than being seen to shout at your teammates on the weekend.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Maxphoenix  
Date:   Wed 8 Jun 08:06

Fans and players maybe expect different things from a captain. As Grant says, players likely want someone who resolves issues and acts as an effective link between them and the management team/board etc. Fans expect someone who visibly gets a grip of things on a match day, leads by example, sets the standards and tells people when they fall below them. Getting someone who can do both can’t be easy.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Wed 8 Jun 10:36

Quote:

Perhaps Benedictus said what he thought his employers wanted him to say as team captain - just a thought. He might even have been given a script to read out and may have felt he had no choice but to go along with it.

It can`t always be easy to swim against the current when your livelihood is at stake.

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Wed 8 Jun 10:53

Yesterday desparado set out the attributes we should ideally be looking for in a centre back. He obviously omitted one - the diplomatic skills of a UN delegate.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: RossF  
Date:   Wed 8 Jun 10:58

It would have been a hard task being captain of a football club when the Goodwillie fiasco took place. I guess at this level there`s no way of telling if someone is an excellent captain but I`d like to think he`s not too bad with how Raith have performed the last few seasons. He has always looked fairly solid whenever I`ve seen him. McPake seems to think very highly of him from their time together at Dundee and will know him better than anyone on here.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Milos Drizzle  
Date:   Wed 8 Jun 16:10

Quote:

wee eck, Wed 8 Jun 10:53

Yesterday desparado set out the attributes we should ideally be looking for in a centre back. He obviously omitted one - the diplomatic skills of a UN delegate.

Lol :)

This is my signature
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net