DAFC.net
Home 05 July 2022 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Pedantic? Or not?
Topic Originator: yorkiepar  
Date:   Tue 7 Jun 23:29

Over many seasons following dotnet I`ve become acclimatised to the (often) shocking spelling and grammar in posts. In some ways it`s almost to be expected.
What I do find surprising are the number of errors in the recent COWS press release on season tickets. If David Cook doesn`t have time to proof read his announcements he`d do well to find someone capable who does.

[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Pedantic? Or not?
Topic Originator: AlterPar  
Date:   Tue 7 Jun 23:50

Is it pedantic to mention you have at least 1 grammatical error within this post :)?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: onandupthepars  
Date:   Wed 8 Jun 02:53

Definetly.

Yous havin` trouble sleepin` an` a` ?

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Raymie the Legend  
Date:   Wed 8 Jun 07:16

Quote:

AlterPar, Tue 7 Jun 23:50

Is it pedantic to mention you have at least 1 grammatical error within this post :)?

I found five

It's bloody tough being a legend
Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Jjonjord  
Date:   Wed 8 Jun 07:52

The first couple of paragraphs in the Benedictus announcement were also really badly written.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Westies squint kicks  
Date:   Wed 8 Jun 09:23

Typical dot.net though to have a go at the poster and not the issue at hand. My grammar is poor but if I was running a business I’d make sure I had something in place that prevented me looking amateur.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: par-91  
Date:   Wed 8 Jun 09:45

The spelling and grammar could definitely be improved on the official site. It doesn’t look very professional, but I do think it’s run by volunteers(?). If we want to improve that, we will have to pay someone to run that side of things. If affordable, I think that would be a good move. But I’d rather we made as much money available for the first team budget as possible right now.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: evo!  
Date:   Wed 8 Jun 10:00

Like religion, cash and pogs (blast from the past), punctuation is one of those things slowly fading away from society.

BEAST!
[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: Ben,D.A  
Date:   Wed 8 Jun 10:12

I never knew one needed a degree in English before posting on this forum. As for the official site, why don`t the moaners offer their services to the club to help with grammar.

only 11 make the team,the rest can just but dream.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: PARrot  
Date:   Wed 8 Jun 10:33

Or they could just subscribe to Grammarly and fix the errors automatically.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: AlterPar  
Date:   Wed 8 Jun 10:34

Look professional to who? Who actually cares and why does anyone care that others would? We are all humans.

‘It looks amateur’ ok? If someone being a knob about that they need to get a grip
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: halbe  
Date:   Wed 8 Jun 10:41

"If David Cook doesn`t have time to proof read his announcements he`d do well to find someone capable who does".

Should be proofread not proof read.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Wed 8 Jun 11:06

Not pedantic.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: CrossPar  
Date:   Wed 8 Jun 12:33

Quote:

par-91, Wed 8 Jun 09:45

The spelling and grammar could definitely be improved on the official site. It doesn’t look very professional, but I do think it’s run by volunteers(?). If we want to improve that, we will have to pay someone to run that side of things. If affordable, I think that would be a good move. But I’d rather we made as much money available for the first team budget as possible right now.

Anyone can run the text through a spell and grammar check before publishing. Hardly rocket science.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Stanza  
Date:   Wed 8 Jun 13:28

Those who know me well also know that I am probably descended from Homo Pedanticus rather than Homo Sapiens - my eyes light up when I spot a typo!

So I do understand and empathise with those who are irritated by spelling and punctuation errors in official publications - it grinds my gears too. It`s not just DAFC at fault, I regularly see basic errors in publications from many sources, right up to national broadcasters such as the BBC. Sometimes it is carelessness, sometimes it seems to be a basic lack of understanding of the language.

Rules in language and punctuation are there to make comprehension easier for the reader. EG the absence or presence of commas makes a huge difference in the sentence "I enjoy eating my children and my dog." My generation learned these rules in school, the teaching of later generations seems to have been more concerned with expression and intention - although that is not necessarily a bad thing since the merits of a statement or idea are not dependent on how the words are spelled.

But I`m torn on this - really, it doesn`t matter how an article is constructed or spelled provided the message is clear and unambiguous and understood by the reader. There should be absolutely no bar on anyone putting forward their views just because they have a problem with spelling or grammar - anyway, some people may be dyslexic and unable to form perfectly-spelled words. And language constantly changes - it`s worth remembering that Shakespeare signed his name with several different spellings, and none of the surviving signatures was spelled "Shakespeare"!

Support Dunfermline Athletic Disabled Supporters` Club (it will cost you nothing) when you shop online with one of 6000 retailers and insurance firms etc
http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/dadsc
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parsfan  
Date:   Wed 8 Jun 14:29

It`s this time of year we normally see lots of posts from people excited by the possibility of their favourite player "resigning".

Maybe next be year.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The universe is ruled by chance and indifference

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: McCaig`s Tower  
Date:   Fri 10 Jun 18:07

I’m not sure to what extent the new CEO will, in time, be reviewing all aspects of the football club, including the COWS in general, or communications in particular, but I think it should be on his agenda. (He may choose to delegate some of this.)

I don’t know the background to the statement in question, nor do I know whether proof reading, proof-reading, or proofreading was felt desirable or even necessary), but I agree with the OP – the statement is poorly written. I could have said “amateurish” but there are plenty of amateurs, some of whom already volunteer for the club, who would have done better.

A forum is different – contributions (within reason) should be encouraged – but in a business environment poor communications give a poor impression. I think we should be aiming for the highest standards off the park as well as on the park.

The club has had offers of help before, but being available 24/7 in case there is an emergency statement to be vetted is not very practical.

(On the matter of whether it should be “proof-read” or not, there seems a general movement in English from using two separate words, to hyphenating, to combining the two words as one, so arguably all 3 alternatives are “correct”).

[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net