DAFC.net
Home 05 July 2022 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Scotsman at the World Cup
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Tue 14 Jun 00:44

Ex-Hibee and Aberdeen-born Martin Boyle helped Australia qualify for the World Cup as they beat Peru in a play-off in Qatar last night. The match was settled by penalties after the teams were level 0-0 after extra time. Boyle actually missed the first penalty but it didn`t prove costly. Jackson Irvine who played for Ross County and Hibs was also a member of the Australia side. The Aussies brought on their sub goalie for the pens and he danced from side to side along his line which might have been the deciding factor in the shoot-out.

The final place will be decided tonight when Costa Rica and NZ play off, also in Qatar. It`s on BBC website, iPlayer and Red Button from 7 pm.

[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Scotsman at the World Cup
Topic Originator: OzPar  
Date:   Tue 14 Jun 03:29

I don`t think too many Aussies were confident that we would qualify this time. The squad has no stand-out players like in previous competitions, and the manager is far from inspiring.

Nonetheless, here we are in our fifth consecutive World Cup, a remarkable feat really, given the convoluted and notoriously difficult process to qualify through the Asian Group and ultimately through the intercontinental play-off round.

The tournament took the Australian team into the Himalayas to play Nepal, to China and Taiwan, to Japan and a handful of Middle East nations. And finally, to Qatar to play Peru. Beyond the football, it has been a gruelling test.

That said, I doubt that they have the squad depth to make any impact on this year`s finals.

Good luck to New Zealand tonight.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Tue 14 Jun 05:54

Apologies for starting a new thread on this game. Didn`t open this one beforehand. Maybe admin can combine them?

Oz, I take it from your comment that Australia and New Zealand have a cosier football relationship than Scotland and England? 🙂

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: OzPar  
Date:   Tue 14 Jun 09:08

By a country mile, GG. :))

There`s a rivalry on the rugby pitch for sure, but in football terms, it has always been a bit like us and the Wee Team... a friendly rivalry with little or no malice...

I think most of us over here would be delighted if the Kiwis made it to Qatar.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jojo  
Date:   Tue 14 Jun 09:27

What about the Aussie goalkeeper during the penalty shootout v Peru . Took goal line psyching antics to a new level with moving about his goal line. Incredible to watch and I note the Aussie manager brought him on just before end of ET so presumably he has previous at penalty shoot outs
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Tue 14 Jun 09:58

Quote:

jojo, Tue 14 Jun 09:27

What about the Aussie goalkeeper during the penalty shootout v Peru . Took goal line psyching antics to a new level with moving about his goal line. Incredible to watch and I note the Aussie manager brought him on just before end of ET so presumably he has previous at penalty shoot outs

Aye, whatever happened to the Corinthian ideal in sport? Maybe the Peru player who missed the decisive kick should have run up and booted him in the crown jewels. 😃

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 14 Jun 19:06

Costa Rica 1 NZ 0 after 3 minutes.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 14 Jun 19:44

NZ equaliser ruled out by VAR for a foul in the build-up.

[IP address logged]
-
Date:   Tue 14 Jun 20:30

Another VAR decision has gone against NZ; a yellow card issued by the ref has been changed to a red after a VAR intervention.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 14 Jun 20:56

CR 1 NZ 0 FT. NZ had enough of the ball but couldn`t create any real chances. Both VAR decisions were correct imo

[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net