DAFC.net
Home 07 December 2022 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Chick Young
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Sat 9 Jul 20:09

When I got back to the car after the game Chick Young was commentating on the penalty shoot-out between Morton and Falkirk. After each side had taken 5 kicks he said the score was 4-4. His explanation as to why no more kicks were being taken was that, in this competition, if the teams were level after 5 kicks they each earned an extra point.

A wee while after they returned to the studio Liam McLeod reported that the final score at Cappielow was confirmed as 5-4 to Falkirk on penalties. He asked Chick for an explanation and he said he thought Falkirk had missed their second kick! Time for Chico to hang up his mic I think.

[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Chick Young
Topic Originator: 1970par  
Date:   Sat 9 Jul 20:15

Jonathan Watson will be filling boots on that one,

Can you imagine:- over to Chick You g at the Falkirk Stadium where it’s at the penalty shoot out stage, how’s it going Chick?

He he he, I think it’s 4 4, oh wait a minute it’s 4 5, sorry it’s 5 5, anyway the final decision is Penalty to Rangers

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Livingston Par  
Date:   Sat 9 Jul 21:15

lol what an idiot surely every team would agree to draw the pen shootout if that scenario was true

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: FRED1981  
Date:   Sat 9 Jul 21:39

Havering slavering waste of space of a sevconian supporter

F muller
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Ormiston_Par  
Date:   Thu 14 Jul 17:31

This was utterly bizarre.

As well as missing the fact that Falkirk scored all five of their pens, he surely must have seen the players celebrating after the 5th kick went in? Did he not think that a bit odd, if he believed the game had ended level?

Apart from anything else, where did the notion of a penalty shootout ending in a draw even come from? The whole purpose of a shootout is to determine an overall winner FFS.....

Go home Chick, you`re drunk.

The artist formerly known as KGB / Slim Hoolie
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Westies squint kicks  
Date:   Thu 14 Jul 18:38

No excuses for Young but if you`ve been on social media this week you`ll know where the confusion has come from.

One of the penalties was saved, the taker thinking he`d missed had turned to head back to the centre circle when the backspin on the ball took it back into the net.

Post Edited (Thu 14 Jul 18:44)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: AlterPar  
Date:   Thu 14 Jul 19:50

Human makes a mistake, let’s berate him for it. Idiots man.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 14 Jul 20:28

He made two mistakes. He wasn`t paying attention if he didn`t see the Falkirk pen cross the line and then he made up an explanation as to why they weren`t taking any more penalties when he should have known the rules. Listeners are entitled to more professionalism than that.

[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: DunPar  
Date:   Thu 14 Jul 21:19

My favourite Chick Young moment was when he was interviewing Walter smith in the i Ibrox tunnel………Smith ripped right him apart…….funny as………

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Ormiston_Par  
Date:   Thu 14 Jul 21:59

Quote:

AlterPar, Thu 14 Jul 19:50

Human makes a mistake, let’s berate him for it. Idiots man.

No-one is berating him. Calm down.

Chick Young is a professional broadcaster. He`s supposed to know what he`s doing, and his job is literally to report (accurately) on the events of whatever game he`s covering.

He singularly failed to do that on this occasion, and is quite rightly receiving stick for it. If I screwed up as badly as that in my job, rest assured I`d be hearing about it.

Hopefully he takes this as a bit of a kick up the backside and makes sure he performs to the standard expected of someone who no doubt receives a very healthy salary.

The artist formerly known as KGB / Slim Hoolie
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Fri 15 Jul 07:07

Slightly off topic - in the Laws of the Game which I studied to become a ref, time could be added on to allow a penalty to be taken at the end of a game, but if the goalie got a touch that signalled full time and the goal would not stand if the ball then crossed the line.

Is this no longer the case? It obviously doesn`t apply in penalty shoot outs if the goal in question was confirmed.

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Jealous Furniture  
Date:   Fri 15 Jul 08:01

I remember listening to the radio during the Saturday games a few years back

Someone reported from the St Mirren game and mentioned "the St Mirren number 3", Chick immediately jumped in smugly asking him how he doesn`t know the player`s name.

You could hear the reporter was a bit panicked at being called out on air and was shuffling through his notes for the player`s name, so Richard Gordon cut in and said surely Chick will be able to tell the reporter who St Mirren`s #3 is since he`s such a big Buddies fan. Chick obviously didn`t have a clue and shut hit puss.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: sammer  
Date:   Fri 15 Jul 08:18

Penalties taken after full time have often proved contentious. Rebounds were clearly ruled out but if a Tommy Gemmell thunderbolt knocked the keeper’s hand out of the way on its way into the net I assumed that would count as a legitimate goal. I remember Hughie Robertson scoring a penalty after full time against Kilmarnock which went in off the underside of the bar and some claimed it should not have stood since the ball did not go in direct. In the 1982 World Cup, during a penalty shoot out I think, a goal was awarded even although the ball had hit the post, come back into play and rebounded over the line off the goalkeeper’s head. The opinion then was that the goal should not have stood. Is the modern rule that the ball is considered ‘live’ until it comes to rest?

sammer
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: allparone  
Date:   Fri 15 Jul 10:44

GG Riva,

That’s an interesting one. Are you meaning that the ref has already blown for full time then awarded a penalty?

If not, would the ref’s final whistle not mark the end the game in this situation? If the Keeper gets a hand on it and the ref blows for full time then the ball would be dead at that point I would think. If he doesn’t blow then the ball would still be live until he blew?

Edit to say that in a penalty shootout the ball is live until it stops. There are a few videos of keepers celebrating after saving a shot or it hitting the bar then spinning in making them look stupid :-)

https://youtu.be/dRN99zNjRHY

https://youtu.be/VBDGmUEcHaw

Post Edited (Fri 15 Jul 11:04)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 15 Jul 12:22

Quote:

allparone, Fri 15 Jul 10:44

GG Riva,

That’s an interesting one. Are you meaning that the ref has already blown for full time then awarded a penalty?

If not, would the ref’s final whistle not mark the end the game in this situation? If the Keeper gets a hand on it and the ref blows for full time then the ball would be dead at that point I would think. If he doesn’t blow then the ball would still be live until he blew?

Edit to say that in a penalty shootout the ball is live until it stops. There are a few videos of keepers celebrating after saving a shot or it hitting the bar then spinning in making them look stupid :-)

https://youtu.be/dRN99zNjRHY

https://youtu.be/VBDGmUEcHaw

Yes, in the 70s, a game could be extended after full time to allow a pen to be taken but the Game would end as soon as another player touched the ball, so of the keeper got even a finger tip to the ball on it`s way into the net, the goal would be chalked off.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 15 Jul 12:29

Double post

Post Edited (Fri 15 Jul 12:32)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Socks  
Date:   Fri 15 Jul 13:28

The `penalty with the last kick of the game` scenario was cleared up some time ago, in response to a few contentious incidents. Rebounds won`t count, but the ball touching post, bar or keepr are all fine. The rules are now written in a verbose style befitting of an intelligent 10-year-old, but the section in Law 14 covering this is fairly clear:

Additional time is allowed for a penalty kick to be taken and completed at the end of each half of the match or extra time. When additional time is allowed, the penalty kick is completed when, after the kick has been taken, the ball stops moving, goes out of play, is played by any player (including the kicker) other than the defending goalkeeper, or the referee stops play for an offence by the kicker or the kicker’s team. If a defending team player (including the goalkeeper) commits an offence and the penalty is missed/saved, the penalty is retaken.

https://www.theifab.com/laws/latest/the-penalty-kick/

So had that one at Cappielow been a penalty at the end of a half, it would have counted.

Post Edited (Fri 15 Jul 13:29)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: USMac  
Date:   Fri 15 Jul 14:49

I like it when you learn something new every day. Thanks Socks and GGR.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: sammer  
Date:   Fri 15 Jul 16:01

Chees Socks,
but I don`t think the matter has been clarified. The 1982 scenario I described means that if a player biffs a ball off the inside off the post and it rebounds back into goal via the keeper- a few yards off his line-then that is a fair goal? From how I read the wording that would now be considered a fair goal. Correct me if I am wrong.

sammer
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: eastendalloapar  
Date:   Fri 15 Jul 16:08

I know that if a player takes a penalty, hits the bar and then hits it across the line it is not a goal. Trevor Smith did that in the 1980s and the referee did not award the goal.

matt forsyth
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 15 Jul 16:13

That would be because Trevor Smith touched the ball twice without another player touching it.

ETA - Chick has inadvertently opened up a whole can of worms here!

Post Edited (Fri 15 Jul 16:22)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Socks  
Date:   Fri 15 Jul 19:08

Sammer - yes, a goal scored in those circumstances would now stand, both when playing extra time at the end of the game for a penalty to be taken and in a shoot-out. Any combination of post, bar and keeper - in any order and even if the ball comes off the post and away from goal then hits the keeper in the back - is fine.

I think your 1982 incident might have been one of those that prompted this to be cleaned up.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Sat 16 Jul 10:12

"Edit to say that in a penalty shootout the ball is live until it stops."

Allparone has it correct.

The ball is still in active play after the kick until it comes to a natural rest.

If it crosses the line (not having gone out of play) then a goal is scored.

Incidentally, I don`t remember the rules of a penalty taken outwith normal time back in the old days as described as GG states.

I thought the kicker got the one attempt - the keeper getting a touch didn`t prevent it counting if it crossed the line.

Not saying he`s wrong - just don`t mind it that way.

Trevor Smith`s double touch was at East Stirlingshire.

Post Edited (Sat 16 Jul 10:15)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: JimDAFC  
Date:   Sat 16 Jul 11:19

This one not a penalty issue but at the Buckie Thistle game the ref. gave a free kick for a pass back that occurred a yard out from the bye line and about the same from outside the post and the subsequent free kick was taken from the edge of the goalkeepers box. Is this what the rule states that it is to be taken from when this occurs?

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: theparsman1885  
Date:   Sat 16 Jul 11:28

JimDAFC wrote:

> This one not a penalty issue but at the Buckie Thistle game the
> ref. gave a free kick for a pass back that occurred a yard out
> from the bye line and about the same from outside the post and
> the subsequent free kick was taken from the edge of the
> goalkeepers box. Is this what the rule states that it is to be
> taken from when this occurs?
>
>

Yes Jim.

Any free kick awarded in the 6 yard box must be moved to the edge of the box closest to where the incident took place.

[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net