DAFC.net
Home 28 November 2022 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Obviously
Topic Originator: Paralex  
Date:   Mon 11 Jul 14:47

What I am about to write may seem obvious to many but the word "obviously" seems to have become the new "go to" filler word for otherwise talented young men whose footballing ability has brought them into a position where they may be required to take part in a recorded interview. In past days slightly tongue-tied youths would revert to "you know" or in Fife "ye ken" or in Glasgow "so it is, but". Now however as evidenced by many recent interviews it is "obviously". My observation is a very minor issue really because if those who most use the term turn out to be great players for the Pars, as far as I`m concerned they could conduct an entire interview and just repeat that one word over and over and I wouldn`t give it another thought. But for their own personal development in days to come, it would be better if some kind of speech coaching could be arranged. But I`m obviously a bit of a snob when it comes to use of language.

[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Obviously
Topic Originator: desparado  
Date:   Mon 11 Jul 15:01

I noticed that too in some interviews.

Also the “ Aye no “ is very much prevalent when starting an answer to a question.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Socks  
Date:   Mon 11 Jul 15:03

"You`ll never beat Des Walker" used to be a cry heard often in English football. I was amused to read, some time ago, that journalists of the time had a running joke with a modified version - "you`ll never meet Des Walker".

The reason was that he considered his job to be playing football, and didn`t think he was very good at talking as would be required in an interview. And so he avoided doing interviews at pretty much any cost. I like and respect that. The ability to talk and be personable (or generally `media-friendly`) in an interview isn`t a bad thing to posess, but it should not be important if someone can do their job without it. I say that as someone who does a job that requires a reasonable level of skill and intelligence, while at the same time knowing that I do not talk very well.

I`d prefer it if we could just allow people to get on with doing the things they are good at, rather than directing sneering criticism because they happen not to be so good as some pointless activity that is peripheral to their main job.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 11 Jul 16:21

No intention to sneer on my part Socks, maybe just a little desire that our educational establishments might produce a higher standard of attainment in the use of language that will serve everyone better in the coming years.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Mon 11 Jul 17:01

Paralex not to dampen your post .. but go look at the last 20 years of footballer interviews and obviously was used over frequently along with very very

We are forever shaped by the Children we once were
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Mon 11 Jul 17:19

Obviously you don`t know what you`re talking about as obviously is obviously not as big an issue as starting every sentence with "So". This is commonly heard amongst the chattering classes as they enter into dialogue in the middle of the aisle in Tesco.

So, get off your high horse (obviously only do this if safe to do so). 😉
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 11 Jul 17:37

The word "obviously", I think, is being used partly as a defensive mechanism by the speaker, in the event that his statement may appear glaringly obvious to the listener and he doesn`t want to be perceived as stating the blindingly obvious. However, I would usually conclude that what has been said is not so obvious as to have been the anticipated reply to the particular question and therefore an unnecessary interjection.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: 1970par  
Date:   Mon 11 Jul 18:02

“Early doors” where did that originate?

[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: 1970par  
Date:   Mon 11 Jul 18:03

“At this moment in time” cringe!

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 11 Jul 18:29

So, obviously, if Dunfermline had managed to get a few more goals, early doors, we wouldn`t be where we are at this moment in time.

If the phrase "early doors" didn`t originate with Ally McCoist, it was certainly perpetuated by him. Some of the Rangers players in his era used it too.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Stanza  
Date:   Mon 11 Jul 18:44

This article gives probable origins for "early doors", "sick as a parrot", going pear-shaped", parking the bus" etc.
https://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/hat-tricks-handbags-early-doors-what-are-origins-strange-language-football

Support Dunfermline Athletic Disabled Supporters` Club when you shop online with one of 7000 retailers, insurance firms etc
http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/dadsc
Or donate £5 - text "DADSC" to 70970
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Mon 11 Jul 18:52

What about `like`, like? I used to think it was peculiar to Fife, then to Scotland, then to the UK but, having heard numerous Americans talk either in real-life interviews or in films, I realise it`s ubiquitous in every English-speaking area in the world.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 11 Jul 19:18

Very illuminating Stanza re the origin of early doors and other football terms.

Wee eck, I think the Fife usage of the word "like" was at the end of the sentence whereas with the modern usage, it can appear irritatingly at regular intervals in a sentence.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Mon 11 Jul 19:20

Quote:

Stanza, Mon 11 Jul 18:44

This article gives probable origins for "early doors", "sick as a parrot", going pear-shaped", parking the bus" etc.
https://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/hat-tricks-handbags-early-doors-what-are-origins-strange-language-football

I remember reading about John Toshack when he became manager of Real Sociedad in his first spell in Spain. Having learned a little Spanish, to his credit, he gave literal translations to "sick as a parrot" and "over the moon", depending on the result.

Journalists at his post match interviews would scratch their heads in bewilderment.

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: dave67  
Date:   Mon 11 Jul 19:33

.”

Early doors

The use of this phrase, as in “they’ll be looking to grab a goal early doors”, was a favourite of linguistically creative pundit Ron Atkinson. However, its origin long predates Big Ron.

At popular Victorian theatres, ‘early doors’ were special entrances at which patrons could pay extra to avoid the subsequent crush. The practice ended in the early 20th century, but the expression survived. The first man to use it in a football context was probably Brian Clough, who, speaking to The Observer in 1979 about his relationship with his players, said, “Early doors it was vital that they liked me.”

Let`s try making it till Christmas
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Ben,D.A  
Date:   Mon 11 Jul 19:59

It was Obvious where this thread would lead...:)

only 11 make the team,the rest can just but dream.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: red-star-par  
Date:   Mon 11 Jul 20:38

As far as I`m concerned Lewis can use obviously as much as he wants as long as he bangs a couple of goals into the onion bag every Saturday
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: PARrot  
Date:   Mon 11 Jul 20:54

Quote:

GG Riva, Mon 11 Jul 19:20

Quote:

Stanza, Mon 11 Jul 18:44

I remember reading about John Toshack when he became manager of Real Sociedad in his first spell in Spain. Having learned a little Spanish, to his credit, he gave literal translations to "sick as a parrot" and "over the moon", depending on the result.

Journalists at his post match interviews would scratch their heads in bewilderment.

Right, so, more important. What happened to the sick parrot. I hope hes ok now.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 11 Jul 20:55

"In terms of..."

That`s the latest one.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 11 Jul 21:59

That phrase could be an added burden to you, if in fact, you were a sick Parrot. I know that if my name was Parrot instead of Paralex that when I had covid, if someone said they were sick as a Parrot I might have felt even worse. It`s not fair to pigeonhole Parrots or pigeons for that matter in such a way.

But I think in terms of "in terms of", it may be annoying to some but I have hardly heard it repeated continuously in a short period of time.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 11 Jul 23:32

Quote:

Paralex, Mon 11 Jul 21:59

That phrase could be an added burden to you, if in fact, you were a sick Parrot. I know that if my name was Parrot instead of Paralex that when I had covid, if someone said they were sick as a Parrot I might have felt even worse. It`s not fair to pigeonhole Parrots or pigeons for that matter in such a way.

But I think in terms of "in terms of", it may be annoying to some but I have hardly heard it repeated continuously in a short period of time.

It is parroted regularly. I bet you hear it more often now I mentioned it.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 11 Jul 23:49

I will "keep my ear to the ground" Parrot, which I think is traditionally the Native American`s method of saying he will "keep his ears peeled" which doesn`t really make sense because you can peel an apple or a potato but not your ears. Anyway it`s getting late and I`m beginning to drivel.

It may be interesting to note that the very Des Walker, whom Socks refers to at the top end of the thread was a Nottingham Forest full back who considered himself such a bad speaker that he avoided interviews at all costs. It seems that the very same Des Walker has for some years now been in great demand as an after dinner speaker.

Post Edited (Mon 11 Jul 23:57)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: LiviBill  
Date:   Wed 13 Jul 08:29

I agree totally that starting every sentence with the word SO is very annoying.
The interveiwer asks "What do you do for a living ?"
The interveiwee replies " So I am a Quantity Surveyor". My other pet hate is the use of superfluous words, like raise up,lower down and reverse back as classic examples

LiviBill
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Wed 13 Jul 09:43

We used to call him Jim "You Know" McCalliog - so I went back looking for evidence.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8hzZed31Rk

From 1:22

Post Edited (Wed 13 Jul 09:47)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Wed 13 Jul 09:54

Some players do their talking with their feet.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 13 Jul 21:12

Very good Livibill but for me I would have to say, "so I was a Quantity Surveyor ".

And enjoyed the McCalliog clip VEE. Thought he was putting on the sentiment bit for his old team but any Scot who scores against England at Wembley will always be a hero you know.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Thu 14 Jul 09:04

Quote:

Paralex, Wed 13 Jul 21:12

Very good Livibill but for me I would have to say, "so I was a Quantity Surveyor ".

And enjoyed the McCalliog clip VEE. Thought he was putting on the sentiment bit for his old team but any Scot who scores against England at Wembley will always be a hero you know.

Aye, especially on his international debut !!!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parsmad68  
Date:   Thu 14 Jul 09:29

I wonder how many of us have had a camera in our faces for an interview.
It sometimes depends on the type of interview that is being held. Post match I don’t expect the interviewee has been briefed of the questions beforehand and has to take time to think. The pauses or ticks people have buys them that time.
I have been interviewed a number of times and being briefed beforehand makes it much more decent. It allows collection of thoughts and how you can structure the response. Reporters however want the players on the back foot as this would give an “exclusive”. It is a cruel way to deal with people and why some are good at it and others not.
Also if you watch the interview afterwards all your ticks that you never believed you had are exposed to you and the rest of the world 😒

Post Edited (Thu 14 Jul 09:30)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 14 Jul 10:01

I would doubt that our very kindly Dunfermline interviewer would be looking for a reaction leading to a scoop and his questions are fairly similar for each player with some adaptations for the manager. However in that infamous interview with Jim McLean, the interviewer was "obviously" trying to push him into an angry response and got a black eye for his trouble.

[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net