DAFC.net
Home 04 December 2022 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 BBC to resume Rangers coverage
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Wed 20 Jul 16:44

The BBC is to resume full coverage of Rangers, resolving a seven-year dispute between the corporation and the football club. It is understood that reporting restrictions on BBC journalists have been lifted by the Glasgow club. The broadcaster acknowledged mistakes in past coverage and said it was happy to repeat those apologies. Full reporting, including of manager interviews, is due to resume at the start of the new season on 30 July.

The corporation and the club have been in dispute since 2015 after Rangers removed media privileges from a BBC sports journalist. In response, the BBC said it would not send any of its reporters to cover events, such as media conferences at Ibrox.

On Wednesday, the BBC issued a statement saying the dispute had limited its ability to report and it was in the "best interests" of both its audience and Rangers supporters to resolve the issue. It went on to say it recognised that the club had "genuine concerns" about the accuracy and balance of some of its coverage. The statement added: "The BBC acknowledges that there have been occasions when parts of the coverage of Rangers FC have not met its editorial standards. It has apologised for those instances and is happy to repeat those apologies now." In May, pundit Michael Stewart apologised to former Rangers communications director James Traynor and Rangers after remarks made on BBC Radio Scotland. The BBC made its own apology at the time of the comments in 2020.

Rangers also issued a statement on Wednesday saying it acknowledged the recognition of past errors and the BBC apology, as well as the recent apology from Mr Stewart. It added it expected reporting at Ibrox to resume for the 2022/23 season.

Is Kenny McIntyre already having an influence? ๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜Š

Post Edited (Wed 20 Jul 16:48)
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: BBC to resume Rangers coverage
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Wed 20 Jul 18:48

Why do I get the impression that the BBC is cast in the role of an errant school boy, and Therangers as a fierce Heidie who strikes terror into teachers and pupils alike?

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Wed 20 Jul 19:04

Will the BBC also be reporting on the bile coming out of Ibrox every other week?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 20 Jul 19:27

Quote:

jake89, Wed 20 Jul 19:04

Will the BBC also be reporting on the bile coming out of Ibrox every other week?

Please refer to my previous post, Jake.

Why would an errant schoolboy risk the wrath of such a fearful Headmaster?

Post Edited (Wed 20 Jul 19:48)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: alwaysaPar  
Date:   Wed 20 Jul 19:54

Quote:

Only if it creates a sensational headline that will attract viewers and click bait.......
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 20 Jul 22:40

Quote:

Here`s your answer, Jake :-

https://t.co/duNRtGP7ya

Therangers are a fine upstanding club who do not tolerate racism or bigotry among their support and are quick to make an example of anyone who doesn`t adhere to their strict rules on such matters.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 20 Jul 22:50

Songs about people starving to death = Fine
Nazi salutes = Not fine.

Got it.

I`d genuinely love if the Old Firm were to go to England if only to expose to them that no normal person cares about their Catholic/Protestant nonsense.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parsmad68  
Date:   Thu 21 Jul 05:10

Chic Young will be delighted
[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Thu 21 Jul 09:22

What was their beef with Michael Stewart - was it his criticism of the orange top that Rangers were marketing at the time he raised it on Sportsound ?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DBP  
Date:   Thu 21 Jul 10:40

So rangers split the dummy, Ben the national broadcaster and then think by allowing them back in the bbc should be all deferential and say thank you!

Is thereโ€™s nothing in the league contract from the spfl that states the clubs have to allow broadcasters in or is that contract completely one sided in favour of the clubs (re sponsorship choice etc)

Wish there bbc had let that fall on deaf ears and not give them any more publicity
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Lambo1885  
Date:   Thu 21 Jul 11:08

Quote:

veteraneastender, Thu 21 Jul 09:22

What was their beef with Michael Stewart - was it his criticism of the orange top that Rangers were marketing at the time he raised it on Sportsound ?

Think it`s for similar reasons they don`t like Chris Sutton.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: da_no_1  
Date:   Thu 21 Jul 11:22

I like Michael Stewart - he can be argumentative & not follow the crowd (maybe that`s why I like him!)

However, Sutton is an absolute walloper & I have to say I can fully understand why the Orcs don`t like him. Much like fans of the other arsecheek don`t like Kris Boyd. There is no point getting them to comment on games involving Scotlands` shame.

Post Edited (Thu 21 Jul 11:22)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 21 Jul 12:28

Stewart said Traynor was a bully. I don`t know the guy or the context but he`s said he`s sorry for saying it.

He has also called out nonsense like the orange strip being a mark of respect for the Dutch players they had years ago. Something I think should still be addressed properly by the club. To me, they are intentionally stoking the sectarian fire that burns in Ibrox.

I`ll never understand how other clubs can pick people out of the crowd who have chucked a bottle or made a racist remark yet massive clubs like Rangers and Celtic seem to find it impossible to spot a bunch of them singing offensive songs. Want to tackle sectarianism? Start by cancelling the season tickets of offenders an implementing a ban on flags.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 21 Jul 13:05

Quote:

jake89, Thu 21 Jul 12:28

Stewart said Traynor was a bully. I don`t know the guy or the context but he`s said he`s sorry for saying it.

He has also called out nonsense like the orange strip being a mark of respect for the Dutch players they had years ago. Something I think should still be addressed properly by the club. To me, they are intentionally stoking the sectarian fire that burns in Ibrox.

I`ll never understand how other clubs can pick people out of the crowd who have chucked a bottle or made a racist remark yet massive clubs like Rangers and Celtic seem to find it impossible to spot a bunch of them singing offensive songs. Want to tackle sectarianism? Start by cancelling the season tickets of offenders an implementing a ban on flags.

Well of course it suits therangers to pander to the rabid anti-catholic element among their support. They`re hardly an insignificant minority and would have been queuing up to buy the orange tops to the tching of tills up and down the land. Trying to weed out these Neanderthals would be a costly business, alienating True Blues from Dumfries to Dingwall, not to mention the thousands who regularly cross the sea from Norn Iron every week.

[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
ยฉ 2021-- DAFC.net